• Replies 176.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

So yeah, I’m now completely finished with the Three Hopes demo. It’s really good. It’s actually a big improvement on Three Houses in a number of ways, despite being a warriors game:

-It seems they took a lot of the criticisms to heart because the routes start being different after one chapter, there’s barely any time spent doing school stuff, the downtime between missions is significantly reduced, Byleth has dialogue now, our MC isn’t a complete blank slate, etc.

-The game looks better than Three Houses while simultaneously running MUCH better than it, despite Three Hopes being a warriors game and 3H being an SRPG which is… all sorts of embarrassing for 3H, really.

-The camera is more dynamic during story scenes and most especially during supports and characters’ facial expressions physical change. They emote now!

-5 hours into the Golden Deer route (counting the tiny bit of shared content that comes first) and Leonie only mentions Jeralt once

But improving on what 3H did isn’t all the game does, its different stuff is nice too:

-Shez is such a fun MC. They stick to the personality of literally being some random, reckless mercenary that was picked up by Alois and company.

-The gameplay is surprisingly fun. I’ve never enjoyed Musous/Warriors gameplay all that much, with the admittedly little of it I’d played (AoC demo + a fair amount of Hyrule Warriors on Switch), but the gameplay here is surprisingly strategic. It does feel very Fire Emblem like despite playing totally differently, and a lot of the mechanics come straight from Three Houses/FE (I’ve never touched the original FE Warriors so I can’t say what this one does that’s unique to it). Stuff like the class system and the “reverse fatigue” which Shrimpy mentioned (two characters who weren’t deployed in the last battle randomly get a boost to exp and class exp, and this changes after every battle) are just pure fun.

-The music is nice.

After this, Three Hopes is looking very promising. It might even be a day once purchase, we’ll see.

52 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

when Shez awakens vs. Byleth

Restarting when I get the main game just so I can play that bit again.

Ya know, if the full game is as good as the demo, i think i will trust KT with more FE games in the future as from the demo alone it's shown they are taking criticism to heart seriously and are learning from their mistakes.

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

despite Three Hopes being a warriors game and 3H being an SRPG which is… all sorts of embarrassing for 3H, really.

Well, considering 3H was made in an engine made for Warriors games, it's not really that surprising.

Edited by Shrimpolaris

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I guess it's a matter of personal tastes and whatnot. I didn't have a clue that there's a sizable crowd that thinks the same as I.😅 Maybe the religious magics comes as "archaeological", while aliens have a more distinctly "out of this world" flavor to them?

Can we please not see a hypothetical revived franchise become Ancient Aliens though? Those conspiracists annoy me b/c they underestimate what humanity is capable of achieving. I will seal you inside a pyramid if you insist little green men had anything to do with their construction!

Oh thank you, finally someone understands.

Many natives, myself included, have been annoyed at this some-what racist idea that the ancient people of America and Africa only did what they were able to do because of some outward alien influence.

Don't even talk to me about Temple of Doom and how it portrays the Mexica.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I saw this.:

shutterstock_1991914793.jpg?timestamp=16

Pride with a northern Native American flourish added atop, to represent the "two spirit" concept.

https://www.advocate.com/pride/2022/6/08/31-queer-pride-flags-know-complete-guide#media-gallery-media-32

Rainbow colors in general are a very traditional pattern across the Americas, though mostly in the south.

No, seriously. Why did the game suddenly decide "Imma go fire for no reason"?

1 hour ago, Shrimpolaris said:

This is so damn goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

Meh. Indomitable Will and At What Cost better.

Speaking of At What Cost, I wonder if that guy will appear in this game or they'll forget him like everyone else.

9 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

I think Siegfried likes Elise more

F3XOYSPD_o.png

Siegfried x Elise memes never get old, I swear.

Just now, BrightBow said:

I do feel sorry for Camilla.

I mean, her own creators compare her to a cow. Openly.

I don't feel much emotion against the Cowmilla these days. When you look at the game from the outside, on a surface level, she looks like the most terrible thing they could possibly have mustered. That's the point of your life when you're angry at her.

Then you delve deeper into it and, as it turns out, she's among the least bad things in the game. So, if anything, I have a modicum of respect for her. She may go out to battle in panties and unprotected booba, but she's the least problematic thing in her game. Heck, she beats a couple of the other female knights in the series in the whole "dignity" department. Lookin' at you, Mathilda...

1 minute ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Ya know, if the full game is as good as the demo, i think i will trust KT with more FE games in the future as from the demo alone it's shown they are taking criticism to heart seriously and are learning from their mistakes.

"Here goes Ruben being cynical", I know, but... Let's not forget, this isn't a FE game. This is a spin-off, belonging to the series and genre that Koei Tecmo is most known for. They've done a lot of these games, and they've been at it for years. This is what they're good at, so it's no wonder it feels like they knew what they were doing. Personally, I'll have to see what their proper second FE looks like before I start saying things like this.

Still, that doesn't mean I'm not happy that Three Hopes is good. Leaving the Three Houses negative bias aside, it might very well turn out to be one of the better Mosous, and that is something that could pique my interest down the line.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

"Here goes Ruben being cynical", I know, but... Let's not forget, this isn't a FE game. This is a spin-off, belonging to the series and genre that Koei Tecmo is most known for

Thing is, most criticism laid and fixed here can very easily be carried over to an actual FE. Even some of the features (like Energized/"reverse fatigue")

And the demo honestly felt more FE than half FE i played. There is even some kaga flavour with how gameplay interacts with the events

Personally, I'll have to see what their proper second FE looks like before I start saying things like this.

fair enough.

Why did the game suddenly decide "Imma go fire for no reason"?

Oho boi

This is real good

Is it cult kun getting this fire music?

Also is it me or is Zade not in this map

Edited by Shrimpolaris

12 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Thing is, most criticism laid and fixed here can very easily be carried over to an actual FE. Even some of the features (like Energized/"reverse fatigue")

And the demo honestly felt more FE than half FE i played. 

It's the map design that worries me. Three Houses... did not have good map design, in my humble opinion. And well, this isn't a game that has maps, haha. That's why I'd have to see them tackle a proper FE and have map design that doesn't make me want to cry before I give them the thumbs up.

There is even some kaga flavour with how gameplay interacts with the events

Oh? Interesting. Elaborate, if you please. Put them in boxes if you like, but do not hold back on the spoilers, I will not be playing the demo anyway.

Oho boi

Right?

This is real good

Is it cult kun getting this fire music?

Well, it's the map theme of two pretty vital maps in the climax of the game, so... I guess you could kinda say that? Maybe? To be honest there's hardly a cult-kun presence in this game.

Also is it me or is Zade not in this map

Heh... Is that right? I wonder why that would be. There is a way to find out! Stupid Monolith soft, I'm going to burn down their HQ

56 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Well, considering 3H was made in an engine made for Warriors games, it's not really that surprising.

I mean, I never said I was surprised. It is disappointing for 3H, but not even remotely surprising.

42 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

There is even some kaga flavour with how gameplay interacts with the events

Wait, what? What are you referring to here?

35 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And well, this isn't a game that has maps, haha.

Well...

It does.

Spoiler

Unbenannt.PNG

Claude's Map. A kill boss after quests make you sorround him from all sides

vrwoTbI.png

Edelgard map. A seize into run after the boss map.

xNuUmsj.png

Dimitri's map. A classic seize map

Yeah, different from FE, but if all maps were the same, it would be boring, and the main quest have been different and play differently, yet similiar to FE in a Certain way.

Oh? Interesting. Elaborate, if you please.

10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Wait, what? What are you referring to here?

Hmmm

Remember how Kaga makes you do quests around some maps to unlock progress through them or make em easier? All of the main maps had stuff like that. 

The gameplay/story interaction also works really well in that way. 

So far atleast.

Spoiler

For example, in Dimitri's map you first capture the 2 bottom forts, which unlocks the way into Town, and then you have to protect the town before seizing bridge points to advance and kill bosses/seize

Dunno how to explain it better without playing or explaining the maps step by step xD

Heh... Is that right? I wonder why that would be.

The dragon is the lord confirmed?

Stupid Monolith soft, I'm going to burn down their HQ

Monolith revealed their release date first, i blame dangan

Edited by Shrimpolaris

6 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Well...

It does.

Yeah, different from FE, but if all maps were the same, it would be boring, and the main quest have been different and play differently, yet similiar to FE in a Certain way.

Right. Well, I'll take your word for it for now.

Hmmm

Remember how Kaga makes you do quests around some maps to unlock progress through them or make em easier? All of the main maps had stuff like that. 

The gameplay/story interaction also works really well in that way. 

So far atleast.

Dunno how to explain it better without playing or explaining the maps step by step xD

That's neat. I mean, again, it's a different genre, so I would've expected it to play differently in more than a couple of ways, but...

The dragon is the lord confirmed?

Bertoullia is the Jeigan. The real lord is Karajan. I mean, it's in the name, see? Karajan Saga: Sacred Tome of Nocturne. Heck, when he first appears as an enemy, VS1's title theme plays when entering combat with him. Why? Clearly, because Karajan Saga.

Monolith revealed their release date first, i blame dangan

Fuck Monolith anyway. If we don't get the next Vestarias because this one got too many sales stolen I'm going to forever hold a grudge against Xenoblade specifically.

I will talk about the booba. Again.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Right. Well, I'll take your word for it for now

I edited in/added some pics to help explain it

Maybe xD

I will talk about the booba. Again.

game reduced booba so tough luck

Edited by Shrimpolaris

I edited in/added some pics to help explain it

Maybe xD

Ah... Yes, I think I see what you mean now, with multiple "units" and all. There definitely seems to be some strategic element to the action game. Interesting.

Now if only it wasn't based on the FE that makes me angry.

Hanneman route which?

game reduced booba so tough luck

There's probably still booba. It's Xenoblade.

Hanneman route which?

he joins black eagle at chapter 4.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

There definitely seems to be some strategic element to the action game. Interesting.

yh. I have seen a reviewer call it a "Fire Emblem RTS"

which is fitting.

Now if only it wasn't based on the FE that makes me angry.

FE4 remake is now a Warriors game

WHOA

I almost started talking about Xenoblade again! Quick, I must employ evasive maneuvers. Ah, I know! Here, have this picture of Jonathan's moustache.

e5CU7pCl_o.jpg

Discuss.

he joins black eagle at chapter 4.

Whoop whoop!

That's not too late, I hope?

FE is now a Warriors subseries.

the last chapter in the demo, so 3-5 hours in

FE is now a Warriors subseries.

KT be like:

527.jpg

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This is where I wish I had taken a gender studies class back in college.😆

Hm... Maybe I should take that if I get into UBC.

0oqlyIp.png

...Wait, this is almost WR.

Huh.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Whoop whoop!

It’s like 4-5 hours in the demo, but it’s worth nothing that while that’s when he shows up with the Eagles, he stays behind in that chapter to guard the bridge or whatever, and it’s unclear when he’ll actually become playable (but he probably will).

3 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

the last chapter in the demo, so 3-5 hours in

Good.

Hm... As a fun thought experiment, let's see what character I would play in each route.

BE: Take a wild guess.

BL: Eeeee... Gilbert, maybe? I don't like his face much, but this group never filled me with emotion. Ashe could be a perhaps second. I think I recall liking his hairdo in this game a bit.

GD: Ignatz would be my first thought, but I really don't like his design. When you consider his entire character arc, it's literally the bad ending for him. It makes me feel sad. So, uh... Judith. Yeah, definitely Judith if she's available. If not, Leonie. Or Raphel, I like that silly headband of his.

The other guys: I haven't the faintest idea. None of them do much for me. I like Yuri's evil guy collar, so him I guess?

3 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

KT be like:

527.jpg

How dare they, I'll kill them.

Just now, Sooks said:

It’s like 4-5 hours in the demo, but it’s worth nothing that while that’s when he shows up with the Eagles, he stays behind in that chapter to guard the bridge or whatever, and it’s unclear when he’ll actually become playable (but he probably will).

Koei Tecmo on their way to be dicks to me specifically by making my guy unplayable for absolutely no fucking reason:

BL: Eeeee... Gilbert, maybe? I don't like his face much, but this group never filled me with emotion. Ashe could be a perhaps second. I think I recall liking his hairdo in this game a bit.

Felix’s dad is playable in BL.

I don’t know if that means literally anything to you, but I felt like pointing it out.

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Felix’s dad is playable in BL.

I don’t know if that means literally anything to you, but I felt like pointing it out.

Ah... Him, then. His sorry excuse for a stache makes me wanna cry (seriously what's the artist's problem with facial hair, none of it ever looks good, Hanneman aside), but less than Alois's. And I like his suit. He didn't have much of a character in Three Houses, but maybe they do more with him here, who knows.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 hour ago, Shrimpolaris said:

It's preferable to IS at least.

I've never seen a striptease system like in Fire Emblem Warriors in any Warriors game I ever played. But of course it became a "staple" in Fire Emblem ever since Fates. So it's save to assume that this kind of bullshit was something IS insisted had to be in the game.

And considering things like the groping mechanic in Fates... well, the jiggle physics guys seem like a much better choice then IS these days.

Edited by BrightBow

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

. So what, is he actually going to still try to play the big action man? Now that's going to require some CGI.

Harrison Ford actually just keeps doing it for real.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Lime-greenish E.M.M.I. destroyed

Oh when you said you destroyed the second EMMI before, I thought you meant this one since the tutorial one isn't really counted (by the players).

Thoughts on the Morph Ball not being one of the first items you get?

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

So yeah, I’m now completely finished with the Three Hopes demo. It’s really good. It’s actually a big improvement on Three Houses in a number of ways, despite being a warriors game:

-It seems they took a lot of the criticisms to heart because the routes start being different after one chapter, there’s barely any time spent doing school stuff, the downtime between missions is significantly reduced, Byleth has dialogue now, our MC isn’t a complete blank slate, etc.

-The game looks better than Three Houses while simultaneously running MUCH better than it, despite Three Hopes being a warriors game and 3H being an SRPG which is… all sorts of embarrassing for 3H, really.

-The camera is more dynamic during story scenes and most especially during supports and characters’ facial expressions physical change. They emote now!

-5 hours into the Golden Deer route (counting the tiny bit of shared content that comes first) and Leonie only mentions Jeralt once

But improving on what 3H did isn’t all the game does, its different stuff is nice too:

-Shez is such a fun MC. They stick to the personality of literally being some random, reckless mercenary that was picked up by Alois and company.

-The gameplay is surprisingly fun. I’ve never enjoyed Musous/Warriors gameplay all that much, with the admittedly little of it I’d played (AoC demo + a fair amount of Hyrule Warriors on Switch), but the gameplay here is surprisingly strategic. It does feel very Fire Emblem like despite playing totally differently, and a lot of the mechanics come straight from Three Houses/FE (I’ve never touched the original FE Warriors so I can’t say what this one does that’s unique to it). Stuff like the class system and the “reverse fatigue” which Shrimpy mentioned (two characters who weren’t deployed in the last battle randomly get a boost to exp and class exp, and this changes after every battle) are just pure fun.

-The music is nice.

After this, Three Hopes is looking very promising. It might even be a day once purchase, we’ll see.

You and Shrimpy making some convincing arguments ngl.

49 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Unironically would be better than actual FE4.