Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, I would certainly say to go for it.

I did.😄

...Although I didn't play very much, stopped midway in the second battle, lack of sleep meant my eyes were struggling to stay open.đŸ„±

I won't post screenshots right now, I don't have the energy for that. But I will make some comments.:

First, I lingered on the title screen for several minutes.

Too good.😁

...The Japanese subtitle includes the word "Testament"? How ironic. That title screen, the way the light concentrates in the center, the angular lines, my brain and eyes wanted to visualize a golden Zohar in the dead center of it.😆

As for other remarks.:

• Expansion into space, space racism. Top notes of Gundam on my palette.😋
  • Visuals, 2001 was the GBA's launch year, and from glimpses that I've seen, original A released in the same wasn't exactly a looker. So, I forgive TFoM for any graphical primitiveness compared to J and OG2.
  • Plot has to start with boy being thrusted into a giant robot in an emergency situation. Cliched as it gets, doubly so with an amnesia girl, but that's okay.
  • ...The Fist of Mars has character, robot, and lore compendiums. Neither J nor OG2 did, how didn't they pick up on that if the GBA was capable of containing the extra text?
    • I read all the glossary entries first thing, good idea to get acquainted with the world.
      • Cage being extremely dependent on Ares, taking first notice of him when he was playing the piano. ...My brain began going "how does this not sound potentially gay?".😝 
        • -But maybe it's a good thing they obviously aren't, because the War God smells strongly like best-friend-is-actually-enemy evil. Would make for an easy protagonist character arc having read their profile.
      • Metatron is a metal... explains SMT's Metatron.😇
      • "Animus". Just a codeword derived from Jung, but, I Xenogiggled.😜
      • "Dreizehn" ...it's just a German number it says, yet it reminded me of a "Dreissen" Mobile Suit.
      • Martian colonies are named after countries on Earth... No SRW, you don't have to bring back G for ZoE's debut.😛
        • Nadesico though, the Jovian massacre of Mars would have to be reduced, and Yurika's Trolley Problem modified. But if ZoE likes Mars, could be fun trying to mix things together otherwise.
  • Combat... yep, it's SRW. Everything looks familiar.😀
    • Lack of Spirits? Eh. Yes they can be cheaty-strong, but their absence sounds like a blow to what the pilots themselves contribute to battle.
    • Lack of counterattacking will slow things.
    • Animations being so much more limited I'm fine with. I don't need SRW's magnificent excess in every mecha game I play.
    • IPS? Not sure what this first-person perspective thing exactly does (presumably extra damage when attacking or a higher likelihood of dodging when attacked?). But, I see that it can be skipped, good for faster play than having it on all the time.

Too soon to say anything about enjoyability really.😅

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 177.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

...The Fist of Mars has character, robot, and lore compendiums. Neither J nor OG2 did, how didn't they pick up on that if the GBA was capable of containing the extra text?

Well, SRW would need much more text, I would figure.

Cage being extremely dependent on Ares, taking first notice of him when he was playing the piano. ...My brain began going "how does this not sound potentially gay?".😝 

-But maybe it's a good thing they obviously aren't, because the War God smells strongly like best-friend-is-actually-enemy evil. Would make for an easy protagonist character arc having read their profile.

Haha, well, I won't tell then. So you can see for yourself how it goes.

• "Dreizehn" ...it's just a German number it says, yet it reminded me of a "Dreissen" Mobile Suit.

I get the feeling it might be the same word. Or suppose to.

• Martian colonies are named after countries on Earth... No SRW, you don't have to bring back G for ZoE's debut.😛
      • Nadesico though, the Jovian massacre of Mars would have to be reduced, and Yurika's Trolley Problem modified. But if ZoE likes Mars, could be fun trying to mix things together otherwise.

Admittedly, I don't know how often the other Z.O.E games focus on Mars. Fist of Mars is, admittedly, the only one I've played, haha.

• IPS? Not sure what this first-person perspective thing exactly does (presumably extra damage when attacking or a higher likelihood of dodging when attacked?). But, I see that it can be skipped, good for faster play than having it on all the time.

IPS is a bit of a weird system. You basically engage in a shootout mode. You're given X number of seconds, during which you have a movable crosshairs, with the enemy mecha moving about. You must press A when any part of the mecha is inside the crosshairs to hit. The mechas have glowing red circles where if you hit them, it's a crit. When defending, it's the mecha who "shoots", so you must move your crosshairs so it never gets hit by the enemy.

In short, you can play the entire game without ever being hit. It's an optional way to play other than relying on the usual Hit/Evade RNG rolls.

Too soon to say anything about enjoyability really.😅

Well, that's fine, heh.

Posted (edited)

Okay, I think I'm done. Time to end this on a Meridian Dance!

Aaaaaand it's done! Secret of Mana completed! Man, what a journey.

... so now what? Haha.

Hmm, I'm torn if to now play Actraiser... on the other hand, if I wait a few days, the final update to Bloodstained will be out, and I can play that one instead. Or perhaps something else. Hmm...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Posted (edited)

Man, I always loved the Great Canyon's music. Ah, really brings me back.

... and the Fugitive Arc will come soon... well, I think I'm ready.

Okay, I'm at Mt. Blaze. Will continue next time.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

You know, I just remembered. I once thought up a fanfic idea centered about the game's Fugitive Arc. The story, however, would actually revolve on the other rescue team members, and what they might have possibly thought during the whole thing. Since, yeah, it makes you wonder. How did they took the whole "their leader was originally human, who may have also been the one cursed by Ninetails and the reason the world is filled with all these natural disasters". And then considering they run away to try to clear their name, and then the partner character also goes with them, and all without telling the rest of the team about it. There's potential for a story there, for sure!

I didn't had much of an outline fleshed out, though. Only that they send a team out as part of the chase in a token effort to say they're doing something about it. So mostly the run through Lapis Cave. I did thought up they get lost, then end up befriending one of the cave's Zubat, who helps them out and ends up joining the rescue team. Then after the Lapis Cave they go along with the whole "Mt. Blaze too dangerous to follow suit" thing and use it as their excuse to call it quits on the chase.

Now, hmm, if I were to flesh it out (though still not sure if I'd write it)... I suppose having a scene with the team members finding out is a must. Then they'd get into argument over it. Like, they have various different stances over it, causing a few cracks on the team integrity. Both over that and the fact their leader and second in command are gone. At the very least, it's decided that the Magnemite that joins after the Mt Steel mission becomes provisional leader, since it is the most senior member left.

For the Lapis Cave portion, I was thinking the team sent would be the Magnemite and... hmm, never thought on who exactly. They'd be three for sure, with the Zubat joining them in the dungeon itself becoming a fourth. This was when I still basing it on the rules of the original games, and I'm keeping that for this. Well, at the very least, I would want to have one of the remaining two to be a Heracross. Whose name is Kyosuke. If you know, you know.

And after that... I guess more debates and interactions as they simply wait until the protagonist and partner finally come back, with their innocence proven. Then voicing their thoughts to them and what they went through and all that. But I would want it to end on a high note.

Well, I guess that's that. Random rambling of the night.

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I did.😄

...Although I didn't play very much, stopped midway in the second battle, lack of sleep meant my eyes were struggling to stay open.đŸ„±

I won't post screenshots right now, I don't have the energy for that. But I will make some comments.:

Its a fun little game, I even still have the cart for it.

• ...The Fist of Mars has character, robot, and lore compendiums. Neither J nor OG2 did, how didn't they pick up on that if the GBA was capable of containing the extra text?

Oh wow, I take it you haven't played the other Zone of the Enders games. I guess they are straight up action titles, and thus a very different genre from this board's bread and butter. They are top notch robot action really, I highly recommend them as the games that I feel most makes you feel like you are playing a mecha anime.

Do you mean the IAS (Interactive Attack System)? I tried with that turned off for a run (which I didn't finish) but the hitrates are reminiscent of Binding Blade without it, whereas if you use the IAS, once you get used to it you can far more reliably hit (and get higher damage crits if you get good at it), and dodge attacks. Not sure which ends up faster in the end. Perhaps I will get back to that run eventually, but it has been a little while since I played it.

Admittedly, I don't know how often the other Z.O.E games focus on Mars. Fist of Mars is, admittedly, the only one I've played, haha.

The Fist of Mars is clearly a side story, but Mars is still a prominent feature of the other games. The first game involves an attack from BAHRAM of Mars attacking the Antilia space station orbiting Jupiter, where they are trying to capture the sister Orbital frames of Anubis and Jehuty. The 2nd Runner spends a majority of the game on Mars with an opening section on Callisto (one of Jupiter's moons), and an ending section on Phobos (Mars's moon) where we have the final climactic fight between Jehuty and Anubis that the pair of game builds up to.

... so now what? Haha.

Congrats, hopefully you had plenty of fun with that absolute classic.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Okay, I think I'm done. Time to end this on a Meridian Dance!

... so now what? Haha.

Hmm, I'm torn if to now play Actraiser... on the other hand, if I wait a few days, the final update to Bloodstained will be out, and I can play that one instead. Or perhaps something else. Hmm...

How about SoulBlazer or Illusion of Gaia?

Edited by Capt. Fargus

36f08e9cdd447c1816c99575fa927d10.jpg

"nearly impossible" by who's standards? This phrasing always bothers me about Trails because aside from SC, this is hardly ever going to actually be close to the truth. They really should be more honest with their players lol.

19 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

might as well suggest the best of the loose trilogy at that point, Terranigma.

Would’ve mentioned Breath of Fire but I dunno if he likes turn based stuff

This Helldivers 2 thing has got to be the biggest gaming industry fumble in years. And that's saying alot. Sony enforcing PSN subscriptions, leading to the game being delisted in several countries where PSN isn't supported. Steam refunding everyone regardless of playtime.

GMxi_iSXQAAyT5K?format=jpg&name=medium

incredible.

On 5/3/2024 at 7:22 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

@Armagon

https://www.thegamer.com/unicorn-overlord-interview-akiyasu-yamamoto/

Not much of an interview, but it does reveal there was the desire to have armor taking visible damage mid-battle in UO.

The Witch wears little as-is lmao, how would that work for her.

22 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The Fist of Mars after Berseria, as a palette cleanser before moving on to XC3.

This is like the fifth palette cleanser before moving on to XC3.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Would’ve mentioned Breath of Fire but I dunno if he likes turn based stuff

Oh, don't worry. "Classic" JRPG's are my bread and butter.

If I recall, both I and II are in Nintendo Online. I could play them, but I'm currently focused on Rescue Team DX (which is mostly since I still can't get that last Blade in Xenoblade 2). My next thing to play after Secret of Mana is more about my Steam catalogue.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Finally, Persona 5 is good now.

To whom it may concern, I ate an arepa the other day. It was good, they even had chicha too (I made sure it was made with rice beforehand).

And I didn't know how well Metroid Prime would capture the traditional Metroid experience, but I had to spend time bumbling around to figure out where to use the power ups I just got so I think it did a good job.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Observer will get to it... eventually. I mean, you still haven't played Trails into Reverie. Daybreak will be out before you start it.

10 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I would want to have one of the remaining two to be a Heracross. Whose name is Kyosuke. If you know, you know.

Since it's blue and the shiny isn't red, you know he'd be the corrupted one.

17 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, SRW would need much more text, I would figure.

I was indeed thinking that. And SRW already has more text, plus more animations, and likely music. Leaves me wondering how much room was left on the J/OG2 carts.

8 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Oh wow, I take it you haven't played the other Zone of the Enders games. I guess they are straight up action titles, and thus a very different genre from this board's bread and butter. They are top notch robot action really, I highly recommend them as the games that I feel most makes you feel like you are playing a mecha anime.

I'd be fine going into action. I doubt ZoE would be Soulslike intense, and as long as I can finish the game, I'm fine with pure action. (Tangent- it'd weren't for the fact it'd be a waste of money, I'm curious how long it'd take me in a Soulslike to eventually give up the game b/c I kept losing to a boss.😆)

The Golden Week sale has Konami dropping 2nd Runner to $6 on Steam, I won't bite now, but I sure will later after finishing TFoM. Although I don't get why the first game isn't on Steam as well. But, when the companies don't provide, into the seven seas I slide. 

Do you mean the IAS (Interactive Attack System)?

Sorry I couldn't get the spelling of a three-letter acronym right, I was running a sleep deficit.😅

I tried with that turned off for a run (which I didn't finish) but the hitrates are reminiscent of Binding Blade without it, whereas if you use the IAS, once you get used to it you can far more reliably hit (and get higher damage crits if you get good at it), and dodge attacks.

I feel like getting used to hitting with it should be easy enough. Dodging though, not so much.

Feels like I'd be inclined to use IAS on offense when hit rates are low, but less so on high, being nervous about slipping up on what otherwise would've likely been a hit. It'd be the opposite with defense, where it'd be "what do I have to lose?" against high enemy hit rates, and place my trust in ~30% or below chances unless a unit was badly damaged.

I could try messing around with the Balancers and see how much of an effect that has. I haven't tried them yet, though I doubt they'll solve everything.

The Fist of Mars is clearly a side story, but Mars is still a prominent feature of the other games. The first game involves an attack from BAHRAM of Mars attacking the Antilia space station orbiting Jupiter, where they are trying to capture the sister Orbital frames of Anubis and Jehuty. The 2nd Runner spends a majority of the game on Mars with an opening section on Callisto (one of Jupiter's moons), and an ending section on Phobos (Mars's moon) where we have the final climactic fight between Jehuty and Anubis that the pair of game builds up to.

Truly the Zone of the Enders. Keeping away from Earth in all three games.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

This Helldivers 2 thing has got to be the biggest gaming industry fumble in years. And that's saying alot. Sony enforcing PSN subscriptions, leading to the game being delisted in several countries where PSN isn't supported. Steam refunding everyone regardless of playtime.

GMxi_iSXQAAyT5K?format=jpg&name=medium

incredible.

The number of headlines the game has had flipping through the gaming sites, and that I don't recall ever seeing prerelease hype news for this game, made me think it was was a surprise mega-hit of the year.

Alas, when you go live-service, your reputation is fickle? Tone-deafness can lead the masses to stone you? Don't hide what Sony must've told you (the dev) long in advance? -I don't know anywhere near enough about the game to know what lesson is to be learned from this.

30 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Observer will get to it... eventually.

It this on record here that ...late last summer? That 13 Sentinels and Xenosaga Ep. III were the two things holding me back from XC3. I can't hide that.😅 -But, the plastic wrap will come off before two years have passed.

I was going to start XC3 early last month, I just squandered the opportunity. I was going to start it last Thursday, but as I had expected, starting Berseria prevented that. (I did have Berseria sitting in my Steam Library unplayed for so long, and now I understand why it took me so long to start it after Zestiria. One Tales provides enough fat to get through the winter.) However, once Berseria is done, I can't think of a massive JRPG with priority over XC3.

Part of the issue with XC3 -I know this is silly and petty- is I want to play it -at least for the first session or two- on the big screen, because the beauty of Xenoblade demands that. However, I don't like doing that with other people around -not that I haven't regretfully wasted ten thousand opportunities where they weren't.😝 And, at this point, playing with the Switch docked feels totally unnatural to me. Staring at a video game screen that's three yards/meters away, comes off as strange as having the screen be at opposite of end of a golf course. I just need to tell myself it'd be no disrespect to the visual splendor of 'blade, and start XC3 undocked, apologizing to the game by occasionally docking it later once I'm eased into and take in the pretty views then.

I know, I am weird.đŸ€Ł

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

To whom it may concern, I ate an arepa the other day. It was good, they even had chicha too (I made sure it was made with rice beforehand).

Incredibly based đŸ‡»đŸ‡ȘđŸ‡»đŸ‡ȘđŸ‡»đŸ‡ȘđŸ‡»đŸ‡ȘđŸ‡»đŸ‡ȘđŸ‡»đŸ‡ȘđŸ‡»đŸ‡ȘđŸ‡»đŸ‡ȘđŸ‡»đŸ‡ȘđŸ‡»đŸ‡Ș

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

. I mean, you still haven't played Trails into Reverie. Daybreak will be out before you start it.

Just as Falcom intended.

33 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Alas, when you go live-service, your reputation is fickle?

That's the thing, Helldivers pretty much got everything right. One of the most beloved games of the year. Easy GOTY contender.

But people in suits just had to ruin it.

35 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Part of the issue with XC3 -I know this is silly and petty- is I want to play it -at least for the first session or two- on the big screen, because the beauty of Xenoblade demands that. However, I don't like doing that with other people around -not that I haven't regretfully wasted ten thousand opportunities where they weren't.😝 And, at this point, playing with the Switch docked feels totally unnatural to me. Staring at a video game screen that's three yards/meters away, comes off as strange as having the screen be at opposite of end of a golf course. I just need to tell myself it'd be no disrespect to the visual splendor of 'blade, and start XC3 undocked, apologizing to the game by occasionally docking it later once I'm eased into and take in the pretty views then.

I know, I am weird.đŸ€Ł

Oh I fully understand this. Handheld Switch is a rarity. Like I did it with UO for a bit because Vanillaware visuals still pop but I much prefer to play on the TV. Especially when the big AAA games on the Switch usually gets a little crusty on handheld.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Since it's blue and the shiny isn't red, you know he'd be the corrupted one.

Or it's just the Alteisen Nacht.

You know what's funny? I don't remember if it applied in the original, but in DX, the Heracross come with Bullet Seed in their moveset. Perfect for the Square Claymore. XD

I was indeed thinking that. And SRW already has more text, plus more animations, and likely music. Leaves me wondering how much room was left on the J/OG2 carts.

Wouldn't surprise me if they were the max 32GB that the largest GBA cartridges could hold. Then again just how much size does text carries? Could be it's actually not that much.

The Golden Week sale has Konami dropping 2nd Runner to $6 on Steam, I won't bite now, but I sure will later after finishing TFoM. Although I don't get why the first game isn't on Steam as well. But, when the companies don't provide, into the seven seas I slide. 

Oh, right, at least one of them is in Steam, right.

... well, maybe, but my Wishlist is already long as it is, heh. And yeah, the fact the first one isn't there is... eh...

Sorry I couldn't get the spelling of a three-letter acronym right, I was running a sleep deficit.😅

Hahaha, I had also forgotten the acronyms. XD

I feel like getting used to hitting with it should be easy enough. Dodging though, not so much.

For me it always worked just going in circles at the edges of the screen. It was like a 99%~ rate of working. lol

Edited by Acacia Sgt

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'd be fine going into action. I doubt ZoE would be Soulslike intense, and as long as I can finish the game, I'm fine with pure action. (Tangent- it'd weren't for the fact it'd be a waste of money, I'm curious how long it'd take me in a Soulslike to eventually give up the game b/c I kept losing to a boss.😆)

ZoE will test ya. Its pretty tough... or I thought so anyways

Okay, for the time being, I decided to pick up RF4 again... after two years of having stopped. Geez. XD

Well, I do remember much of this, at least. Had finished Act II, so might as well unlock Act III. I remember that was the farthest I ever reached, opening up the Rune Prana... but could never ventured far inside. Was too outclassed. Well... this time I won't abandon the playthrough, at the least.

Played through the first seven scenes of TFoM the acronym is too close to FoMT. I could tell from the unit designs, but the plot sure is Real. Not that I have any qualms with that whatsoever, a pure experience is a distinctive contrast from the continual back & forth of SRW.

IAS does keep me keep me on edge though.😅 I'm not exactly quick to pull the trigger, and I'm fortunate game is generous with what counts for a successful hit.

---

Those unfamiliar with the early days of Xenoblade may not know that it was originally titled Monado: Beginning of the World. The game was actually announced at E3 2009 with an under-the-radar reveal. Yet even though the reveal took place during what was the biggest gaming show of the year in the states, it seems Nintendo of America knew right away it wouldn’t be bringing the RPG stateside.

Kit Ellis, a former Nintendo of America employee with many years of experience at the company, mentioned during a recent Kit and Krysta podcast episode that he asked his colleagues about the game during that E3. He was simply informed that it was Japan-only and not to worry about it. Ellis was also told not to bring people (such as press) to see the game on booth tours since it wouldn’t be coming out here in North America.

Ellis also commented on Nintendo’s thinking at the time when it came to not releasing certain games in North America. On that front, he said:

“As far as how those decisions were made, it was always a very shadowy thing. There was a team at Nintendo that made those sorts of decisions that we were not a part of. That was a very executive heavy group and they would analyze the market and the potential audience size – all that stuff. It was like flipping a coin – sometimes these were the right decisions, sometimes they weren’t.”

Thank Europe for choosing to be different.đŸ‡ȘđŸ‡ș 

Also, not releasing a JRPG aboard in 2010, rather peculiar as I saw others comment. The SNES, the PS1, the PS2, all proved Western gamers would gobble this genre up.

• I get not going international in the 16-bit era...
    • JRPGs were young and their popularity not truly understood. Takes time to establish reputation, have it be realized, and then taken advantage of.
    • While the large-scale video game translations RPGs requires were hamstrung by translator inexperience & paucity, storage limitations, and a lingering Western perception of video games as mere toys.
    • In addition, the immeasurable expansion of the Internet during those decades made it more difficult to hide a game from foreign eyes. Most Westerners couldn't complain about the JRPGs they weren't getting on the SNES, because they didn't know they even existed.

Three console generations later, unless the RPG was very niche/not worth the translation cost, by a small developer, or tied up in licenses, the excuse not to translate no longer really existed. And Nintendo ain't small.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Or it's just the Alteisen Nacht.

I still don't get why they threw in the one-battle paint job. I don't think Axel is ever explicitly said to have seen footage of said battle, which would be the only reason of importance to have it happen that I can think of, to make the redhead bull see red. But then, I think it was Excellen who asked for the recolor, no exactly the most reason-obsessed mind.

That's the thing, Helldivers pretty much got everything right. One of the most beloved games of the year. Easy GOTY contender.

But people in suits just had to ruin it.

Proof the current world order should not be defined by "democracy" but by "capitalism"?

...Merely a joke, given the past headlines I've seen of Helldivers being "yay democracy!" for some reason.

I can't believe only now, ever since I had the 3DS version back in... 2013-2014? That I finally forced the MC to have a Cold for the Trophy.

Well, it happens. lol

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Three console generations later, unless the RPG was very niche/not worth the translation cost, by a small developer, or tied up in licenses, the excuse not to translate no longer really existed. And Nintendo ain't small.

And yet, there was a heavy JRPG drought during the 7th gen. Hit the Wii pretty hard in particular but yeah it was there.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Merely a joke, given the past headlines I've seen of Helldivers being "yay democracy!" for some reason.

Yeah it's Starship Troopers-tier satire that the game was going for.

Thank goodness Static kicked in. Moltres used Agility, which was always bonkers in these games. Thankfully it went down with a couple Electro Balls.