Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Okay, I finished that chapter I said I would write. Hmm, well, will decide if I do upload it or not... tomorrow. Perhaps.

• Replies 176.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Considering that just like in Berwick Saga all shops now have a limited supply, I would have expected Sutler to always sell an infinite amount of the most basic weapons. But no such luck.

Magic is honestly rather tight now. Notably no shop in chapter 5 sell any magic at all. So no wind magic to tear through the riders of Solis. Chapter 7 sells dark magic for Accorte to use, which helps a little. But it's weak, heavy and unreliable.
Sadly I missed getting the Hellfire drop in chapter 8. They added a new wave of reinforcements with a mini boss, which prevented me from getting all the loot. On the bright side, the boss dropped a cavalry class change item. So you can advance cavalry quite a bit earlier now. In addition to Silken Knight Merida also already being available at that point.

Merida now also learns a skill that deals effective damage against thief-type enemies. I had some fun having her track down the assassins in chapter 9 and oneshot them with the Harpoon and 100% accuracy.

The game also now has proper Berwick Saga lances with charge bonus and everything. That's a nice buff for Urven right there.

On 4/27/2024 at 7:23 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

As for 30 vs 60, I definitely do notice it, it feels a lot nicer when it's 60 or up, but as long as it's consistent, it's playable.

Yeah, I am with you. 60 is better, but 30 isn't a deal breaker, and a consistent 30 is better than a shaky 60.

On 4/27/2024 at 1:08 PM, Lightcosmo said:

Smash Bros generally has a window of 1-7 frame options that are basically unreactable for humans. I dont think that means they dont notice how quick a frame 1 options is. You could say "its only 6 frames!" Though. 

Some can react and notice and some cant, its just how things are. Unfortunately.

Frame rates a bit different from frame windows like that. I know people are being sloppy with their terminology throughout this little discussion, but this is a rather different concept from what everyone else has been talking about.

On 4/27/2024 at 2:30 PM, BrightBow said:

Avoiding killing the skeleton warriors in chapter 7 can be done really easily now, because they all use weapons that prevent counterattacking.
I suppose walling them out could still be rather annoying. So I just used the flag to keep them out of the way.

A really nice touch is that once the illusion is dispelled, all the waste tiles into plain tiles. Even some extra houses are revealed.
Besides being a fitting visual change, this of course also means that you get around a lot easier.
...I wonder if maybe this only happens if you really do not kill anybody.

Hmm, if I could get Bonacel up there, he could probably stall the Ordom raiders indefinitely if I unequip him and have him guard one of the yurts.

Only thing I don't like is that it no longer plays the map theme during the battle preparations. Instead it plays a different, rather short song that doesn't even properly loop.
Not doing the atmosphere any favors there. Which is unfortunate, since atmosphere is kinda what the whole map runs on.

Wait, is the Vestaria Saga 1 remake already out or something?

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The night is pitch black

yet the spring air is still warm,

rare this is, I lounge.

Through darkness, the laptop cuts,

skits abounding, fights between.

Nice little Tanka there. I am not the biggest fan of poetry, but I do like the Japanese style poems like this, and the only poem I am ever proud to have written was a Haiku, so that might be a part of it.

7 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Anyway... I think I'm gonna play some Pokémon Mystery Dungeon. Rescue Team DX. I ended up getting those vouchers and used one for this, and the other for Paper Mario TTYD. Alright, let's go!

Ah, have fun. I tried to get into the Mystery Dungeon games back with Blue Rescue Team, but the randomized nature of quests really messes with inner completionist.

7 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Hmm... well, I'm not too fussed over this, so I just went with Pikachu and the partner being Eevee.

That is a surprisingly fitting pair to bring, really making it feel like Yellow or the Let's Go games.

NISA: "Everyone heres some info on Trails Through Daybreak! It isnt basically anything considering it's release is soon, but enjoy!"

Falcom: "Everyone: Kuro 3 is nearing completion. We actually give information on whats what though." Lol

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Nice little Tanka there. I am not the biggest fan of poetry, but I do like the Japanese style poems like this, and the only poem I am ever proud to have written was a Haiku, so that might be a part of it.

When the mood strikes, I

don't mind trying to write one,

a little poem.

😛

I stick to Haiku/Tanka, simply because they're very easy to spontaneously write in. More complicated forms of meter and the separate matter of rhyme scheme, are well beyond my amateur, casual brain.😆

4 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Ah, have fun. I tried to get into the Mystery Dungeon games back with Blue Rescue Team, but the randomized nature of quests really messes with inner completionist.

I'll admit. Despite liking this spin-off series, I only ever played Red Rescue Team (though I did bought Explorers of Sky in my Wii U to eventually play it too). The concept of playing as just the Pokémon was intriguing back then (even if the protagonist is a transformed human, but still), and while the whole roguelike genre did tripped me up a bit back then, I quickly got the hang of it.

That said, I was thankful I could just Wonder Mail the version exclusive stuff. I know it's Pokémon, but having two versions for this too? And curious how one was on the GBA and the other on the DS...

4 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

That is a surprisingly fitting pair to bring, really making it feel like Yellow or the Let's Go games.

Yeah, that it does, heh.

That smile... that damned smile

7y77zs23805b1.jpg

Yes I know she's not smiling but bear with me for a second

Took one cutscene to throw off all my plans for the run. Sorry, Fuuka

On 4/25/2024 at 8:53 AM, Eltosian Kadath said:

OOoh, have fun. Persona 3 is by far my favorite of the Persona games, and it sounds like it is going well for you! I haven't gotten around to getting the remake yet (and will probably wait til a Steam sale to do so, )but it is nice to hear good things about it, which will hopefully encourage other to experience its fantastic story.

It's currently 30% off on Steam rn, at least until May 6

And I doubt anyone here wants to try it

On 4/27/2024 at 9:38 PM, Lightchao42 said:

Why wouldn't it be the best starting point? Persona 3 is the very first Persona game after all.

You're wrong, the first one is 5, Persona is numbered in a descending order. That's why it's the measure everything is compared to

On 4/27/2024 at 10:23 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

There are musings* going around that something might be in the works for the old Persona 1-2IS-2EP trio. However, even if these unofficial claims were true, they'll probably be the PSP ports again, with a few QoL improvements (and an Eternal Punishment retranslation) if we're lucky. Not the full remakes the games need/deserve, because I doubt Atlus be egalitarian and give the same amount of resources to the early games -that failed to make a big splash- that they did to P3R and would to a P4R. The poor will stay poor, the rich will stay rich.

Don't be like that, when Atlus held a worldwide poll asking which game deserves a remake, the 2 duology came in tied for second place. The reason they released the remake of 3 right away was because it had been in development since 2019, there's still hope

35 minutes ago, Venger_06 said:

Weak

35 minutes ago, Venger_06 said:

For its worth, I got FES on my PS3. And bought P3P on Steam. Will eventually buy Reloaded.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

When the mood strikes, I

don't mind trying to write one,

a little poem.

😛

😁

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

It's out, yeah.

Ah of course, just in the Japanese for now. Have they announced if there are plans for an English release?

1 hour ago, Venger_06 said:

The timing is suspicious...did you pull some string with Steam for me or something?

6 minutes ago, Venger_06 said:

I take it that means they added platonic endings to the girl's social links then. I am not surprised, it was a notable weakness of the original (and together with more potential means for reversals, or even breaking a social link very definitively cemented it as the hardest game to max all the social links in...I actually kind of hope most of those were left in, although I also doubt they were). Funnily enough I am tempted to go full platonic, as that would be newer content for me, and ironically I always thought Fuuka's Social Link was rather weakened by the forced pivot into romance territory, with the FeMC's platonic version being the superior one in my opinion.

A romantic relationship with Aigis has an odd feeling to it for me, as her relationship to the player is complicated, and distinctly personal, although I don't think I can really explain why without getting into spoiler territory. Also if it is like the original, you will sadly have a long wait for her Social Link to become available.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Weak

I can always go the harem route like the original

58 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

The timing is suspicious...did you pull some string with Steam for me or something?

As if... I would have all CK2 dlc at this point

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I take it that means they added platonic endings to the girl's social links then. I am not surprised, it was a notable weakness of the original (and together with more potential means for reversals, or even breaking a social link very definitively cemented it as the hardest game to max all the social links in...I actually kind of hope most of those were left in, although I also doubt they were).

This was one of the most contested things about the original along with the combat, so the devs mentioned it in interviews from the beginning. For whatever it's worth, they kept link reversals, although it's now 10 times clearer which options will cause it.

Funnily enough I am tempted to go full platonic, as that would be newer content for me, and ironically I always thought Fuuka's Social Link was rather weakened by the forced pivot into romance territory, with the FeMC's platonic version being the superior one in my opinion.

You prefer the female version because you don't like the forced romance, I prefer the female version because in it Fuuka finally learns to cook. We are not the same

Gus-Fring-we-are-not-the-same-meme-5o32t

A romantic relationship with Aigis has an odd feeling to it for me, as her relationship to the player is complicated, and distinctly personal,

/s

although I don't think I can really explain why without getting into spoiler territory. Also if it is like the original, you will sadly have a long wait for her Social Link to become available.

Bruh I know, I played P3 back in 2017💀

I said it threw off my plans because

• I wanted to be faithful
  • I wanted to see new content like the Christmas date, which is not possible if you are pursuing Aigis

I heard of a similar problem with Kasumi in Royal, something about the link coming too late

2 hours ago, Venger_06 said:

You prefer the female version because you don't like the forced romance, I prefer the female version because in it Fuuka finally learns to cook. We are not the same

Ngl, that also bothered me.

6 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That said, I was thankful I could just Wonder Mail the version exclusive stuff

I remember doing that to get the Golden Friendship Mask so that I could actually recruit folks like Darkrai.

5 hours ago, Venger_06 said:

It's an Atlus game on Steam so it probably has Denuvo 

@Eltosian Kadath beware.

3 hours ago, Venger_06 said:

I heard of a similar problem with Kasumi in Royal, something about the link coming too late

Ehh kinda. You have to get her to Link 5 as one of the prerequisites for accessing the Royal storyline. The remaining five links only happen then when she's actually playable.

Didn't play any Berseria today.

The real nice weather outside should've meant I did a lot of reading, and I did some. However, I wasn't expecting Pokemon to be mentioned twice in an article on nudibranchs (sea slugs), and my face went 😣 for 30 seconds when I saw Kirby of all things being referenced. I do not like the use of video games in comparisons with other things ...but I can't allow myself to be a gatekeeping sourpuss.😝 I know I should be happy that something not-mega-mainstream like the Pink Destroyer (via Smash Bros) would get an unexpected mention in a non-gaming magazine article, it means video games are becoming a part of the general culture.😆

(The reason for the surprise namedrop was a comparison. Some nudibranchs eat jellyfish, and are capable of negating the pain of the jellies' harpoon-like microscopic stinging cells called nematocysts. Not only that, but the nudibranchs can absorb nematocysts whose harpoons haven't been fired, and transfer them from their digestive tract to squishy finger-like protrusions on their no-shell backs, which means if anything were to touch those protrusions, they would activate the recycled nematocysts and suffer the painful sting. -Eat thing, gain its powers. I see why the analogy.)

...But that was the most I did of reading. Could've done much more, but I wasn't in the mood. -I was struck with a creative writing urge yesterday, and it continued into today. So, I wrote entire paragraphs, mostly indoors, explaining in detail how a human and a nature spirit make a baby.😅

10 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I know it's Pokémon, but having two versions for this too? And curious how one was on the GBA and the other on the DS...

My guess would be that the NDS, barely a year-old when the Rescue Teams released, was considered too new to abandon the old ship immediately. Though Mystery Dungeon isn't what I would consider super accessible for kiddos, Pokemon as a whole still is open to kids. If not for the matured gamers who may have made the jump to dual screens right away, then Red Rescue Team could've been a way to get the money of the parents of the little boys and girls who didn't upgrade yet.

Or, PMD development started on the GBA -which seems veeeery likely- and the choice to add a DS second version was to keep the game from being stuck entirely on a dying console. -Even if the fading portable was entirely playable on all short-term units of its successor.

-And either way, Pokemon likes having an excuse for two versions.

9 hours ago, Venger_06 said:

Don't be like that, when Atlus held a worldwide poll asking which game deserves a remake, the 2 duology came in tied for second place. The reason they released the remake of 3 right away was because it had been in development since 2019, there's still hope

Sample size (if we even know it) and poll-answerers skewing very potentially unrepresentative of the fanbase opinions at large leave me wary of polling.

The pessimism is self-protective too. No hope, no possibility of true despair. Low expectations are expectations easily met/exceeded. 😀

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

My guess would be that the NDS, barely a year-old when the Rescue Teams released, was considered too new to abandon the old ship immediately. Though Mystery Dungeon isn't what I would consider super accessible for kiddos, Pokemon as a whole still is open to kids. If not for the matured gamers who may have made the jump to dual screens right away, then Red Rescue Team could've been a way to get the money of the parents of the little boys and girls who didn't upgrade yet.

Or, PMD development started on the GBA -which seems veeeery likely- and the choice to add a DS second version was to keep the game from being stuck entirely on a dying console. -Even if the fading portable was entirely playable on all short-term units of its successor.

-And either way, Pokemon likes having an excuse for two versions.

Maybe. Yeah, the fact the first DS models still had a slot to play GBA games means they could still release GBA games for a bit even if the GBA itself was discontinued.

Also, fun fact, this handheld disparity means that places like South Korea only got Blue Rescue Team, but not Red. Making it a rare case of only one version being available somewhere.

Still, the fact the remake is only just one version is also significant.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Every bad piece of media will get it's historical revisionism "it was always good actually" in due time.

I would say it could be partly that, but also the fact that as more time passes, there's more disconnect with everything said about it when it got released. So, ironically enough, can let people judge it with less bias, positive or negative. Maybe.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Currently watching some modded Xenoblade Chronicles gameplay! The gameplay core is great, it just needed tweaks (characters like Melia for example) got fine-tuned so their kit actually works with the game.

Enemies are also a threat pretty much across the board. Level ceiling is lowered across the board (endgame will be 55-60 instead of 80) and all enemies accomodated for that.

Edited by Lightcosmo

GMYfX4tbQAAH-l0?format=jpg&name=large

Yeah this is setting up to be an interesting kind of game.

GMYfX4ObIAAN3p3?format=jpg&name=large

GMYfX4aaYAAoiea?format=jpg&name=large

It's kind of like a horror game in the sense that you cannot take hits. Even the boss fights are more defensive, it's all about you dodging attacks to fill up your meter and then delivering an instant-kill.

GMYgR8SacAAWnYh.jpg?ex=6631b7e4&is=66306

@Shrimpica

> Realists

> The game is about the cat returning to the realm of the living

Suuuuure...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bshydl6epf5r8julscju

Facts.

-I kid not. They can crack shell with very fast punches. The shockwaves generated from the swift strikes, because surrounded by the dense substance called seawater, can do effective damage too.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

> Realists

> The game is about the cat returning to the realm of the living

Indeed. Cats don't die, they just get tired of you this place and move on.

The dog has managed to corner a skunk in the yard, so this is going to be an exciting (and stinky) night.

13 hours ago, Venger_06 said:

For whatever it's worth, they kept link reversals, although it's now 10 times clearer which options will cause it.

I was more talking about the other ways of causing reversal in P3, like if you leave your friend on read for months at a time, or if you double book a hangout the one that gets knowingly snubbed gets a reversal, or if one girl you are actively dating (but not maxed out yet) catching you on a date with another girl, things like.

Bruh I know, I played P3 back in 2017💀

I guess I could get a bit into to the spoilery talk about Aigis then

Spoiler

Especially in the original it was very clear that she did not care if you were seeing other girls (it even implied to me that she didn't even care if you married another girl), she was going to be an important part of your life regardless, and as such, I don't really think her closeness was about romantic feelings. I literally think less of people who do the New Game+ option of having someone you dated be with at the end of the game instead of Aigis, as that final discussion is too important to both her, and the main character, and it really takes away from her canonically being the one that is singing the credits song.

I said it threw off my plans because

• I wanted to be faithful
  • I wanted to see new content like the Christmas date, which is not possible if you are pursuing Aigis

Fair enough. Having done the Kasumi romance in Royal (after doing the Harem option in the original P5), it isn't quite as restrictive, but you do miss out on the Christmas event for her from what I remember, but still get the Valentines day and white day ones. Also, there was a Christmas date option in the original P3, so unless they updated it significantly, I don't really see how that is new content.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

Every bad piece of media will get it's historical revisionism "it was always good actually" in due time.

More like it was mediocre actually. Not being the worst in a series with a number of entries solidly in the double digits (triple digits if you include all of the spinoff titles) isn't exactly a glowing recommendation by any means, and in a way he is right. For how bland and mediocre that game was, people really went overboard with the vitriol back in the day. To be fair, the "anime fan on prom night" advertise was atomic grade cringe.

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bshydl6epf5r8julscju

Facts.

-I kid not. They can crack shell with very fast punches. The shockwaves generated from the swift strikes, because surrounded by the dense substance called seawater, can do effective damage too

Yeah people who have gotten punched by one say it's the equivalent of being shot by a bullet.

3 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

For how bland and mediocre that game was, people really went overboard with the vitriol back in the day. To be fair, the "anime fan on prom night" advertise was atomic grade cringe.

You have to remember that Mega Man as an IP back then was deader than dead. This was also in the era where all the spiritual successors were coming out and this one was being made by one of Mega Man's original creators no less. Mighty No.9 legit promised everything and delivered nothing.