Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

To me, Echoes was what TH should have been like, witches/cantors aside. And more interesting maps and stuff. But you know what I mean. SoV was a really solid game that had a decent amount of customization.

• Replies 176.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

I'm gonna say, the only thing that disappoints me of SoV is that it ditched free range movement in towns/buildings and Mila Shrines for point-and-click. I liked the concept, so I find it a shame they simplified it.

I'm honest Fire Emblem doesn't get along with super RPG as it doesn't get along with school stuff. It might have been a refreshing change for many people, but it's not the purpose of Fire Emblem, at least for me. I just want to play a classic round based tactical RPG, nothing more, nothing less. I really don't want to see a game with elements Echoes and Three Houses had ever again.

Edited by Kasumi Yoshizawa

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

No opinion is wrong. Although ironically enough, the biggest reason for me to return to Echoes would be the story, characters, and presentation. I think they’re all excellent.

Ehhh I’d argue the story is a steaming pile of dog turds(Alm why the fuck are you written the way that you are?!) but I’ve ranted enough about that on this site. Still, unless you’re playing through Celica’s campaign. I don’t find the map design to be that terrible

1 minute ago, Kasumi Yoshizawa said:

I'm honest Fire Emblem doesn't get along with super RPG as it doesn't get along with school stuff. It might have been a refreshing change for many people, but it's not the purpose of Fire Emblem, at least for me. I just want to play a classic round based tactical RPG, nothing more, nothing less. I really don't want to see a game with elements Echoes and Three Houses had ever again.

I completely agree. I’d love nothing more than to see the next FE game be closer to traditional FE.

RD specifically, but hey, a guy can dream.

Which reminds me that's what Persona 3 also did, going from FES to Portable. Portable also ditched field exploration for Point and Click, with only Tartarus remaining explorable.

---

Well, I don't know you, but I hope a Genealogy remake includes explorable home castles. If only because it'd be cool to see each country's architecture in glorious detail.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Which reminds me that's what Persona 3 also did, going from FES to Portable. Portable also ditched field exploration for Point and Click, with only Tartarus remaining explorable.

That was probably more so due to hardware limitations rather than an intentional design choice.

I completely agree. I’d love nothing more than to see the next FE game be closer to traditional FE.

Yup, I don't even mind story since there was no game after FE10 (remakes excluded) with a reasonable plot. I just want to have a Fire Emblem with a balanced gameplay and some traditional mechanics. A return of classic weapon triangle would be the first step.

Edited by Kasumi Yoshizawa

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

That was probably more so due to hardware limitations rather than an intentional design choice.

Which I wouldn't doubt also dictated SoV's decision to do the same. Hence the comparison.

I saw Vincent's out of bounds videos. They didn't even modeled anything that wouldn't be seen in normal gameplay.

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

In the context of FE4, I wouldn’t mind that at all. I just think that 3H’s implementation of a hub world killed the pace of the game more often than not.

Like slowing it down to a crawl regularly? Yeah. I'd hate to try to screenshot LP that.

18 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

witches were a pain to deal with.

11 minutes ago, Benice said:

witches/cantors aside.

Am I the only one who deadass never had a problem with them? Cantors were just free EXP and Witches were never as bad as people made them out to be imo.

15 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Is it wrong of me to think I actually like echoes’s gameplay more than its story? It’s the only reason I replay the game nowadays

I mean, gameplay over story is valid and it's what most people seem to play games for. One may be more willing to forgive a game with bad writing if they like the gameplay. Not so much the other way around.

6 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

In the context of FE4, I wouldn’t mind that at all. I just think that 3H’s implementation of a hub world killed the pace of the game more often than not.

FE4 pacing is already bad anyway haha.

Just now, Armagon said:

Am I the only one who deadass never had a problem with them? Cantors were just free EXP and Witches were never as bad as people made them out to be imo.

I've yet to fight witches... but yeah, no issues with cantors from me either.

Just now, Armagon said:
13 minutes ago, Benice said:

Don't witches have randomized target-seeking? Meaning that they can either choose to completely wreck Valbar or gang up on units, or just randomly waste their turns on attacking units that'll be able to heal safely the next turn?

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Cantors are just really annoying is all. It sort of worked in the context of SoV, but I don't know if it would work well in any other setting.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Is it even possible to make it slower?

Just now, The Roger The Paladin said:

Don't witches have randomized target-seeking? Meaning that they can either choose to completely wreck Valbar or gang up on units, or just randomly waste their turns on attacking units that'll be able to heal safely the next turn?

I think in Gaiden they may have. But I've never had Witches decimate my res-weak units (which is everyone who isn't a Dread Fighter or magic user).

1 minute ago, Benice said:

Cantors are just really annoying is all. It sort of worked in the context of SoV, but I don't know if it would work well in any other setting.

Depends imo. I can see them working in other games but it's all about execution.

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

Is it even possible to make it slower?

Let me tell you about the giant desert map.

Granted, it's not the whole map but it's still a giant desert.

1 minute ago, Kasumi Yoshizawa said:

Arden Solo

My man doesn't even have Pursuit (worst game design choices in FE example number n), an Arden solo would be the slowest thing in FE4. Which isn't possible at all.

Just now, Kasumi Yoshizawa said:

Arden Solo

Come to think of it, I remember hearing that was possible. I'd say "might be fun to do some time"... but I'd honestly be lying.

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

Great if you want to grind though. Also a motivator to finish a map faster if you don''t want to grind (so the summons don't get out of hand).

11 minutes ago, Kasumi Yoshizawa said:

Yup, I don't even mind story since there was no game after FE10 (remakes excluded) with a reasonable plot. I just want to have a Fire Emblem with a balanced gameplay and some traditional mechanics. A return of classic weapon triangle would be the first step.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a mix of classic gameplay with the depth 3H put into its characters at the very least. IS has shown that they learned from their mistakes in the Fateswakening era and I'd like to see them continue down that road with future titles.

10 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Like slowing it down to a crawl regularly? Yeah. I'd hate to try to screenshot LP that.

Yup.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Not wrong there.

1 minute ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Come to think of it, I remember hearing that was possible. I'd say "might be fun to do some time"... but I'd honestly be lying.

There's a few folks on the FE reddit discord that have done that IIRC. Solos with almost every character, actually.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Let me tell you about the giant desert map.

Granted, it's not the whole map but it's still a giant desert.

Chapter 5? Half the path is actually mostly dirt tiles that don't impeded movement. Granted, the other half is unavoidable sand tiles.

4 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I solo'ed the prologue with him, but I have no idea if it's possible for him to solo complete Gen. 1.

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Personally, I wouldn't mind a mix of classic gameplay with the depth 3H put into its characters at the very least. IS has shown that they learned from their mistakes in the Fateswakening era and I'd like to see them continue down that road with future titles.

The interactions in Three Houses were absolutely fine.

No marriage aside of the protagonist was a step in the right direction.

Damn, I've talked about Fire Emblem in the past hour more than in the last six months.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ch.7.

Same. There's no need to go through many if any sand tiles. There's a dirt path up to Yied, and you can hug the coast avoiding the desert altogether.

Edited by Acacia Sgt