Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

You know, replaying Echoes has got me thinking that I feel like this game has more charm to it than Three Houses. At the very least, all it's proving to me that the next FE should go back to sprites and 2D portraits.

2 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Am I like the only one here who actually thinks awakening and fates actually have good character writing? Cause it honestly feels that way

Nah, there's plenty of AwakeFates characters I like. Hell, the characters are like the main reason I'm not as hard on Fates as most people (I'd mention gameplay but that mainly applies to Conquest), I'm fine with terrible story writing if there's still at least decent character writing.

• Replies 176.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

54 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Don't witches have randomized target-seeking? Meaning that they can either choose to completely wreck Valbar or gang up on units, or just randomly waste their turns on attacking units that'll be able to heal safely the next turn?

In SoV at least, the erratic witch behaviors include a tendency (not a definite law of the universe!) to target units isolated from the rest or those on the edges of the pack. If you keep your units grouped and keep the most vulnerable ones in the middle, you'll be safer.

A Valbar surrounded by allies sounds like the total opposite of what he should be doing though, and keeping an armor unit in the center of a grouping turns its overall momentum into molasses.

30 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You know, replaying Echoes has got me thinking that I feel like this game has more charm to it than Three Houses. At the very least, all it's proving to me that the next FE should go back to sprites and 2D portraits.

2D portraits + 3D models works as a compromise for me. A well drawn portrait can compensate for a lackluster 3D model. To try to formulate fancily as I tend to, it allows you to divert your eyes to an ideal form of sorts, making the model less bad knowing it is a shade of the real version of the character.

45 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Am I like the only one here who actually thinks awakening and fates actually have good character writing? Cause it honestly feels that way

I mean, it really depends on the characters. There's lacklustre characters in any of the games in the series. Take your pick and there's someone who just didn't have much to them writing wise. Likewise even in a game which had largely weak writing on characters, you'll get ones that have great moments (within reason of hardware limitations). Also, a lot of how good a character is remains subjective. Do you decide it by likeability? How well they play off each other for effect? (A character can provide an interesting wall for someone else to bounce off by being an asshole, but that doesn't often make them likeable). Then there's reader preferences themself. One might hate edgy Navarre types, while another might enjoy them. One might find the Marths and Eliwood's preachy, while another might find them to be the ideal of a protagonist. One might even hate a character for reminding them a little too much of their own personal character flaws.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

In SoV at least, the erratic witch behaviors include a tendency (not a definite law of the universe!) to target units isolated from the rest or those on the edges of the pack. If you keep your units grouped and keep the most vulnerable ones in the middle, you'll be safer.

A Valbar surrounded by allies sounds like the total opposite of what he should be doing though, and keeping an armor unit in the center of a grouping turns its overall momentum into molasses.

I mean, I guess you could always keep a unit they absolutely not kill as a bait a bit away from the rest of your units. Considering I tend to let my healers lag a bit behind the combat units, it might explain why I usually end up with one of them targeted (to less effect, due to resistance)

59 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I think in Gaiden they may have. But I've never had Witches decimate my res-weak units (which is everyone who isn't a Dread Fighter or magic user).

As I said in reply to Interdimensional Observer just above, I tend to have clerics targeted myself. Possibly a consequence of the way I position my units. I'm guessing off information provided, there's a bit of variation on how bad the witches are depending on your playstyle.

35 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

2D portraits + 3D models works as a compromise for me.

Three Houses does this but it has the 3D model and the 2D portrait at the same time which is ???????.

I think I'd prefer if we keep 3D models for important story sequences and 2D portraits for everything else.

3 hours ago, Ottservia said:

I thought the supports in Awakening were actually pretty good. 

3 hours ago, Ottservia said:

You already heard a bit of my thoughts on that for Fates, tldr only a few units I like all that much and quite a few who get mishandled imo.

Awakening has a couple of reasons for me to not feel as aggrieved by the cast; it was the first title I actually got a legit copy of, I was still pretty early with the series, I was fortunate enough to not run into characters I despised and of course the fact it was a swansong that was treated as a referential title to everything before it doesn't hurt it's case as much as it could. And generally I don't dislike the cast, even with some of the far weaker characters in the cast.

Wew boy that got weirdly political yesterday, but i think every once in a while it's good to have such a discussion haha

With that said, Tutturu, everyone!

Edited by Shrimperor

8 hours ago, Ottservia said:

I actually like a good portion of Awakening's cast, ngl. Fates less so, and even then I don't mind some of them as much as others do.

Overall I see Fateswakening as a step back because of how well Tellius handled story, character interactions, and supports. But then 3H came after Fateswakening and vastly improved the quality of conversations and depth of characters, from my perspective. Looking back, It's not that they're all bad, it's just that they're lower quality by comparison, imho.

Anyway, good morning everyone! *waves*

As everyone has said, Awakening has some great characters, and some not so great ones, like any other game (I'm looking at you, Kellam.) Just the characters with the extreme gimmicks people usually dont lean towards because the devs dont realise when they are over doing it. 

For example: Lucina is a very well written character from Awakening. Strong, driven, just, etc etc. She has flaws of course, as any good character should, but they arent so overblown that they take up her whole character and suddenly you cant take any scene she's In seriously. 

Severa, another well written character has a flaw that they show, but isnt her whole character. She's very complex deep down but if they never would have focused on that, she wouldnt be nearly as well written. 

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

As everyone has said, Awakening has some great characters, and some not so great ones, like any other game (I'm looking at you, Kellam.) Just the characters with the extreme gimmicks people usually dont lean towards because the devs dont realise when they are over doing it. 

For example: Lucina is a very well written character from Awakening. Strong, driven, just, etc etc. She has flaws of course, as any good character should, but they arent so overblown that they take up her whole character and suddenly you cant take any scene she's In seriously. 

Severa, another well written character has a flaw that they show, but isnt her whole character. She's very complex deep down but if they never would have focused on that, she wouldnt be nearly as well written. 

Who's Kellam? I've never heard of such a character. Is he from one of those Spotpass maps?

5 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Very true. Lucina and Severa are my favorites from Awakening. But I generally prefer female characters anyway. They tend to be better written when it comes to FE as a series.

10 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Who's Kellam? I've never heard of such a character. Is he from one of those Spotpass maps?

Well, his name was on the roster so I figured I'd call him. *shrugs*

9 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Very true. Lucina and Severa are my favorites from Awakening. But I generally prefer female characters anyway. They tend to be better written when it comes to FE as a series.

Well they has some not so good Females (Effie, for one) but I agree otherwise. 

But the ones I mentioned have depth, things that good characters have. Without depth they would be one dimensional, just like Kellam. That's at least how I see it anyways. 

4 hours ago, Dayni said:

You already heard a bit of my thoughts on that for Fates, tldr only a few units I like all that much and quite a few who get mishandled imo.

My issue with the supports in Fates is that there were some characters from the cast that I actually wanted to get to know, but the supports were too shallow in my opinion. Many of the conversations felt like they just played into the one or two strongly defined traits that each character had, without adding any more nuance or depth to them. 

Edited by Wraith

9 hours ago, Kasumi Yoshizawa said:

Echoes was another reason for me not to try FE2 ever.

Map design was to its worst.

I didn't care for the story, even if it was decent.

Gameplay was poor, and it would have been the worst FE game if it hadn't been a remake of a very old game.

I missed the talk on my least favorite fe thus far! No!

Ah well, what I would have said is basically just the quote above me.

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

I mean, gameplay over story is valid and it's what most people seem to play games for. One may be more willing to forgive a game with bad writing if they like the gameplay. Not so much the other way around.

Conquest.txt

8 hours ago, Ottservia said:

They have their moments, most of Awakening’s characters weren’t even that bad. Fates’ supports to me mostly feel dull and forced but they have their moments (read: Nyx and Oboro)

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

I think I'd prefer if we keep 3D models for important story sequences and 2D portraits for everything else.

It is a bit jarring how Three Houses switches from having its cutscenes with 3D models to having its cutscenes with 2D animation and art.

45 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Wew boy that got weirdly political yesterday, but i think every once in a while it's good to have such a discussion haha

It’s good for me!

45 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

With that said, Tutturu, everyone!

Tutturu!

12 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Well they has some not so good Females (Effie, for one) but I agree otherwise. 

I love the example you chose. Peri and Camilla are also pretty bad imo.

8 minutes ago, Wraith said:

My issue with the supports in Fates is that there were some characters from the cast that I actually wanted to get to know, but the supports were too shallow in my opinion. Many of the conversations felt like they just played into the one or two strongly defined traits that each character had, without adding any more nuance or depth to them. 

A normal post from Wraith in forum games?? Nani??

RD support system for every new FE game! Generic "hey how are you" for everyone! Xd!

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I love the example you chose. Peri and Camilla are also pretty bad imo.

Well, she's boring, imo. What does she talk about besides eating and getting stronger 95% of the time? A character like that has no depth, at all. I cant sympathise with her because she has no feelings. 

As I said before characters like Lucina? Severa? Anybody could see how suffering and struggling can make situations difficult to handle. They are human. They have sadness, anger, happiness, etc. Granted you dont ALWAYS need them all, but having alot of different feelings makes me compelled to try and understand how this character thinks/feels.

Edited by lightcosmo

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Well, she's boring, imo. What does she talk about besides eating and getting stronger 95% of the time? A character like that has no depth, at all. I cant sympathise with her because she has no feelings. 

Yup!

That’s literally Beruka’s whole gimmick.

9 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I will say it again: The current support system introduced by FE6 that keeps getting refined over and over is a mistake. It's honestly not fixable

You know what, I want to taste the spice in this take.

Please elaborate on what parts you think are completely not up to standard, I want to know.

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

Am I the only one who deadass never had a problem with them? Cantors were just free EXP and Witches were never as bad as people made them out to be imo.

Nope, same here!

But then I also enjoy Echoes for its gameplay. The maps don't dampen my enjoyment of it.

9 hours ago, Ottservia said:

I'd agree with you on Awakening (for the most part; it does have its fair share of stinkers, as do all Fire Emblem games. Comes with the territory of having a large cast).
For example, I actually like Chrom. He was my favorite lord in the series until the Three Houses trio came along. Still really like the guy, though.

As far as Fates is concerned, weeeelllll... if you saw my posts about it and my tierlist of Fire Emblem games I did recently... I don't think I need to say more. xD

15 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

gxsc1P9.png

"The Penniless".
Amazing. xD

43 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Very much agreed.
I'd extend it to video games in general, personally. At least the ones I've played. Some of which have casts that consist of ONLY females.

---

Good morning, everyone!~
Hope you all had a good night.

Edited by DragonFlames

There are very few exceptions where the male is best character (imo, Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia, is more interesting than any other character in that game). 

But other than that, yeah not usually.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Just ditch the support system alltogether and integrate the characters and their talks into the Story and Base convos instead

Dammit, I was expecting you to have not said something before I responded.

Personally I feel mixed about this, mainly because making it so that it's solely story and base convos means these conversations are guaranteed in every playthrough, which can be its own limitation, much less the

On top of that, for some the loss of it as a gameplay factor will certainly annoy people too, though to be fair it did exist in some form pre-support, limited as it was.