Time for the Potaclypse

MP9FJmK.png

The Squad :tm

Spoiler

z6qgE6u.png
BQOgqOq.png
IBPFHAi.png

13 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

This is the most likely, reason, yes, but like I told Shrimpy just now, I think they would've placed more emphasis on it beyond "yeah, that happened".

Come to think of it, the entirety of Chapter 5 feels odd, to be honest, since beyond Mikoto's death, it is never referenced again (except that one time in Birthright).
ESPECIALLY in Revelations, someone should've went "wait, these weird soldiers... weren't there those weird things that looked just like that we fought when mom died?"
But nope. That chapter didn't happen, apparently. Or everyone suffered convenient amnesia. One or the other.

Japan good
Europe bad

or something

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Heirs of Fate is a separate story.

Which is why said story elements cannot be considered in relation to the base game, because that fails to recognize how many players did not buy or play said DLC. I have the same criticism about BotW and how it handled its DLC. Story elements should not be locked behind a paywall if said story elements are necessary to fully understand the plot of the base game.

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Seriously though, Fates has way to much "convenience" running its story, which is why I really dont like it. Things that happen just... happen. They feel forced, which is not how you write a good story. 

Stories should play out naturally. If the reader is sensing that things are falling into place without there being a reason for it happening, then I'd say that there's a flaw in the writing. Look at the blood pact in Radiant Dawn, for example. A contrived plot point, although I find it to be far less offensive than anything Fates did.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Don’t you want to enjoy a game just to spite other people?

Which goes back to what I said in the first place about starting a thread for that purpose being absurdly petty.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Just came here to say that there is no need to worry. The one thing our professors shoved down our throats in the first semester is that there is never "right" or "wrong" with interpreting stories. The only thing there IS is "more" or "less". And what you said is in completely line with that.
Though admittedly, I DO know this way of thinking is rather young, but I didn't have any professor so far who went against this.

It may be young, but I completely agree. When it comes to creative works, there is no objective standard for what is good or bad, and right or wrong. That's always been the case. There's people who enjoy things that are heavily criticized all the time, and there are those who don't enjoy things that receive critical acclaim. Both are right because that's their personal perspective on the subject.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

All i can do is echo what eclipse said and don't let it bother you. If i don't like Fate's it shouldn't stop you from liking it. If you like it's story, that's great. Alot of us might not share the same views on how it's handled. 

Absolutely. Difference of opinion is a good thing. It sparks discussion, and so long as that discussion remains civil, it's a beautiful way of communicating with others.

18 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Coming off as too artificial instead of letting you get immersed, leading to a hollow and unenjoyable experience*

Exactly.

19 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Three Houses unironically has more character driven moments than Fates Birthright (imo I guess).

3H's greatest success (IMO) is with how it handled its characters. They're probably the most meaningful, memorable cast in the series, hands down.

As much as BR's cast is okayish, I personally never felt attached to them. The game simply didn't do enough to make that feeling be conveyed to the player in my experience.

12 minutes ago, Sooks said:

What in enjoyment of art isn’t subjective?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

How do you discuss any form of art without discussing personal taste, though?

You can't. Enjoyment of the arts is completely founded on personal taste.

These responses may make little to no sense, since I'm running on a few hours of okayish sleep right now. Sorry if they don't, haha. xD

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Japan good
Europe bad

or something

That is certainly the feeling this game has, yeah. xD

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

It may be young, but I completely agree. When it comes to creative works, there is no objective standard for what is good or bad, and right or wrong. That's always been the case. There's people who enjoy things that are heavily criticized all the time, and there are those who don't enjoy things that receive critical acclaim. Both are right because that's their personal perspective on the subject.

Absolutely!

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Is the thread bleeding back here again...

No worries!
I just wanted to respond to something someone else said, is all.

8 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

These responses may make little to no sense, since I'm running on a few hours of okayish sleep right now. Sorry if they don't, haha. xD

I enjoyed all of them, actually.

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Is the thread bleeding back here again...

Nope!

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Alright so I got Midori, Shigure, and Nina. Next time I will be grabbing Ignatius and maybe attempting chapter 17. Maybe.

Unironically female Kana's best S-support choice if you're gunning for a Dragonstone build.
I think. I don't know, actually. I never tried it. xD

I think i will go for Mozu Nina. Let Nina inherit Quick Draw or Sure Hit with Mozu's High growth would be good...

i think

xD

Or mayne inherit apitude and then heart seal for Quick draw then heart seal -> Master seal for pew pew pew

Edited by Shrimperor

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I think i will go for Mozu Nina. Let Nina inherit Quick Draw or Sure Hit with Mozu's High growth would be good...

i think

xD

Or mayne inherit apitude and then heart seal for Quick draw then heart seal -> Master seal for pew pew pew

Always pass down aptitude. Always.

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

Poor Mozu. xD

^
xD

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I mean, Niles falls off really hard against any non-mage, so i need someone to replace him xD

For me, the guy never rose to a point where I said, "yeah, I'mma use him" (my stints with him were: miss, miss, ded, reset, different miss, miss, ded, reset -> bench), so I understand where you're coming from. xD

I'd pair him with Azura. Two horrid characters go well together and Nina does actually get pretty good due to this.

Edited by DragonFlames

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

For me, the guy never rose to a point where I said, "yeah, I'mma use him" (my stints with him were: miss, miss, ded, reset, different miss, miss, ded, reset -> bench), so I understand where you're coming from. xD

I'd pair him with Azura. Two horrid characters go well together and Nina does actually get pretty good due to this.

I mean he’s basically necessary to deal with the mages in his joining chapter on harder difficulties. And of course capture. So he at least has some use.

Spoiler

plus if anyone deserves to get whatever the male equivalent of widowed is, it’s him

Edited by Sooks

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

He only has his good res and speed going for him, really.

Well, and capture, but his ATK is so patheticlly weak he can't do that properly

26 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I enjoyed all of them, actually.

That's good to know. Thanks.

Tbh, I was starting to wonder whether or not I was presenting my opinions in a toxic or offensive way, prompting the responses I've gotten.

9 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Niles?

Absolutely

tumblr_osvnwnQ3oy1t6y3efo2_400.jpg

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Niles?

Absolutely

tumblr_osvnwnQ3oy1t6y3efo2_400.jpg

Kind of funny that that’s the image you chose since that was my pairing in my first Conquest run. xD

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

That's good to know. Thanks.

Tbh, I was starting to wonder whether or not I was presenting my opinions in a toxic or offensive way, prompting the responses I've gotten.

Spoiler

I asked for examples of someone’s point in that thread (not directly but still obvious enough I would hope) and all I got told was that I was looking at it on a surface level and missing the nuance. How do I even respond to that?

Edited by Sooks

Just now, Sooks said:
  Hide contents

I asked for examples of someone’s point in that thread (not directly but still obvious enough I would hope) and all I got told was that I was looking at it on a certain level and missing the nuance. How do I even respond to that?

Spoiler

You can't. Having a discussion with someone approaching a conversation like that is like trying to punch a brick wall over and over and hope you break through. You only end up with bloody knuckles.

Just now, twilitfalchion said:
  Hide contents

You can't. Having a discussion with someone approaching a conversation like that is like trying to punch a brick wall over and over and hope you break through. You only end up with bloody knuckles.

Spoiler

There was a spelling error. Well, autocorrect, certain level was supposed to be surface level, I’m not certain if that changes the meaning.

I understand your point though.