Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

Nah, I think that she's quite popular. Just not here in the elitist corner. Because we're salty elitists like dat.

My S support on my first (and second) VW play through!

• Replies 176.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Of course the first Vestaria Saga was released in 2016. So Hilda couldn't have been based on any potential crappy pink haired axe fighters from Three Houses, since it was released 3 years later.

Oh, of course, true enough. Forgive me for not making it more clear. It was not my intention to imply that IntSys has original ideas. I mean, one only needs to take a look at Serra...

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

What?

What?

What?

What?

I am not talking about 3H. I shipped nothing in 3H. In fact, I shipped nothing so hard, that Byleth died single, because I refused to acknowledge the shitty S-support mechanic.

Just now, Sooks said:

I wonder if I should post that I unironically like fe16 Hilda in the unpopular fe opinion thread...

It's a pretty safe bet that anything that comes out of me or Brightbow is the unpopular opinion. Hilda is, if the FE subreddit is anything to go by, an extremely popular character. I can understand it, she has quite the assets and the backstory. That appeals to the fans. Pretty shallow character for 3H standards, of course, and her design's not even original, but who cares about that?

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

like not turning everyone into the same class to give them different functions. It’s a shame the game gives yo absolutely no incentives not to, though. It’s a choice I make knowing it’s not tHe BeSt.

Yeah. Although I don't mind unbalance. I am sort of okay with how hilarious broken mount/dismount is and how wyvern lord exists. I don't like how they tried to balance everything else by nerfing everyone: giving mages lower movement, keeping armor knights bad and nerfing Cavalry's speed...But then made fliers a thing.

Edited by Benice

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I am not talking about 3H. I shipped nothing in 3H. In fact, I shipped nothing so hard, that Byleth died single, because I refused to acknowledge the shitty S-support mechanic.

But the supports, Saint Rubenio! The supports!!

Anyway I was just confused. It took me a solid five read throughs to think I understand. xD

Although I would disagree at the end, I don’t think S supports count as a mechanic. Like, at all. They’re super irrelevant, even if you pick apart adjutant mechanics and support stat boosts in NG+

It's a pretty safe bet that anything that comes out of me or Brightbow is the unpopular opinion. Hilda is, if the FE subreddit is anything to go by, an extremely popular character. I can understand it, she has quite the assets and the backstory. That appeals to the fans. Pretty shallow character for 3H standards, of course, and her design's not even original, but who cares about that?

There is more to her than just her trope, and tbh, that met my at the time standards....

Actually, that still kind of meets my standards. xD

5 minutes ago, Benice said:

Yeah. Although I don't mind unbalance. I am sort of okay with how hilarious broken mount/dismount is and how wyvern lord exists.

It’s kind of fun to take that one unit every play through and make them your wyvern lord project. Shoutouts to my wyvern lord Annette, OHKOing everything with Crusher.

Edited by Sooks

15 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I wonder if I should post that I unironically like fe16 Hilda in the unpopular fe opinion thread...

I like Hilda. She's a simple, but kinda fun character. I don't mind her flaw. I just like her personality for some reason.

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

IMG_20201210_141052.jpg

588220343777493022.png?v=1

--------

I really don't understand any criticism of the S-support mechanic. It's entirely optional. Picking at that is like picking at casual mode for existing when it's an purely optional.

But to each their own, of course.

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

But when it comes to S-support options, I would never S-support Hilda. There are several other female characters who I think are vastly better, both design-wise and personality-wise.

And then there is me, who wants to go for a different S support every play through.

I S supported Hilda because for my first play throughs I was limiting myself to in-house units and Hilda was easily my favorite of the Golden Deer gals. I love Lysithea as well, but way more from a narrative perspective. I think Hilda has the most likable personality, which is kind of ironic, since if it wasn’t a video game she might not be likable anymore...

8 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

just like her personality for some reason

hMMMM....... SOME reason, eh? uh-huh...............................

23 minutes ago, Armagon said:

IMG_20201210_141052.jpg

588220343777493022.png?v=1

Isn't the Weapon triangle absent until FE4?

Outstanding move. 10/10 article.

really don't understand any criticism of the S-support mechanic. It's entirely optional. Picking at that is like picking at casual mode for existing when it's an purely optional.

I think it's because it serves no real purpose. I guess. I dunno, Idislike TH too much not to give an unbiased take on it.

Edited by Benice

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

So...just one step above completely useless.

I should've killed him the second time I played that chapter...

Smh...

I killed him first, haha! 

Seriously, i did.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

I think it's because it serves no real purpose. I guess. I dunno, Idislike TH too much not to give an unbiased take on it.

It does serve a purpose! Getting to see the romance between the totally self insert but not really but actually and whatever character you like the most.

23 minutes ago, Armagon said:

IMG_20201210_141052.jpg

Moving on, I'm still not a fan of how pairings were handled in 3H, mostly because in some ways it takes control from the player (with how you control it being a specific, tedious way) and yet it doesn't give enough of a reason/justification why said control should be ceded.

Then again, I'm the guy who still looks at Berwick and how it handles promotion and weapon levels (especially together) and fails to understand these choices because they don't add up to him.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

hMMMM....... SOME reason, eh? uh-huh...............................

You little...

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

Isn't the Weapon triangle absent until FE4?

Outstanding move. 10/10 article.

Indeed.

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

I think it's because it serves no real purpose. I guess. I dunno,

The good kind of fanservice.

Extra things that don't do much don't have to be scrapped. They're a nice plus.

4 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I killed him first, haha! 

Seriously, i did.

A necessary sacrifice on the altar of Kaga.

478936605462102017.png?v=1

Extra things? The mechanics existence means every character has to unconditionally love Byleth. Who is the protagonist.

A character who is loved by everyone for no reason is not the most appealing lead for a story.

Edited by BrightBow

2 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Extra things? The mechanics existence means every character has to unconditionally love Byleth. Who is the protagonist.

A character who is loved by everyone for no reason is not the most appealing lead for a story.

Supports are optional. No character has to do anything with Byleth. And Byleth is not the protagonist, the three lords are.

Byleth is something for the player to view the story through, but the arcs themselves hinge on the lords' actions.

Edited by twilitfalchion

6 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

You little...

Tbf, I’m not sure why I find Hilda’s personality charming either.

No, because you actually have to build up the relationship. If you don’t get A support then they won’t love you/you can’t get the S support, and that’s that.

No reason? The S supports beg to differ.

9 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Supports are optional. No character has to do anything with Byleth. And Byleth is not the protagonist, the three lords are.

Byleth is something for the player to view the story through, but the arcs themselves hinge on the lords' actions.

So what? The three Lords, as well as every important personality in the setting, all can Byleth "teacher", follow his every order, submit to his wishes for what career to pick and will all happily marry him after getting prompted for it 4 times, and you say he is just an "observer", like he is Ishmael?

Edited by BrightBow

29 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I really don't understand any criticism of the S-support mechanic. It's entirely optional. Picking at that is like picking at casual mode for existing when it's an purely optional.

But to each their own, of course.

I just find it to be a complete waste of time, as it is in 3H. In Fatesawakening, as far as I know, it served a purpose due to the child units. In 3H, though? You just... give your waifu of choice a ring, you get a scene and then a shitty CG. That's it. Absolutely nothing was accomplished or gained.

I'm not adamantly opposed to their existence. They might as well exist... but they might as well not, too, because they're nothing more than player pandering. So yeah, I can accept their presence, but if they weren't there you wouldn't find me crying about it.

18 minutes ago, Sooks said:

It does serve a purpose! Getting to see the romance between the totally self insert but not really but actually and whatever character you like the most.

Romance with a character that has no character and doesn't even speak?

Frankly, I'd rather they kept S-Supports between units. Romance between two characters has the potential to be more interesting than romance between a character and a rock.

15 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

The good kind of fanservice.

Extra things that don't do much don't have to be scrapped. They're a nice plus.

I do agree with this. The CGs and S-support conversations aren't like Claude's awful route. Removing them wouldn't do much to fix Three Houses's blatant time and budget constraints. So they might as well stay there.

...Though I have to say, whoever came up with the idea to make Sothis a S-support option should be relegated to cleaning the bathrooms at IntSys HQ.

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

So what? The three Lords, as well as every important personality in the setting, all can Byleth "teacher", follow his every order, submit to his wishes for what career to pick

I mean, they're the students' teacher and instructor in combat. Of course they'd follow their guidance. Byleth had quite the reputation as a successful mercenary.

4 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

will all happily marry him after getting prompted for it 4 times, and you say he is just an "observer", like he is Ishmael?

They're an avatar. They're the lens the player has to experience the game.

I have no idea who Ishmael is, apart from the Biblical character.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...Though I have to say, whoever came up with the idea to make Sothis a S-support option should be relegated to cleaning the bathrooms at IntSys HQ.

ARE... YOU... FUCKING... KIDDING... ME.... ?!?

...is what I would like to say. But really, it's on brand. The Avatar got to impregnate a heavily sexualized child in Awakening, got to fondle the entire cast in Fates... it's expected. It's not any new low, just Intelligent Systems continuing to be the utter scum they've been for years.

Edited by BrightBow

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Romance with a character that has no character and doesn't even speak?

I was focusing much more on the self insert part. The point is an extra scene with your favorite character.

Just now, Sooks said:

I was focusing much more on the self insert part. The point is an extra scene with your favorite character.

If they had kept S-Supports between characters, you'd get extra scenes with two of your favorite characters, and the scenes would have more substance to them, too! Not only that, they'd be able to give everyone A supports instead of relegating some chains to just C-B, and you'd be able to control which endings you get, as opposed to having to buy the DLC and spend renown for it! From where I'm standing, it seems like a win-win situation for everyone.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

If they had kept S-Supports between characters, you'd get extra scenes with two of your favorite characters, and the scenes would have more substance to them, too! Not only that, they'd be able to give everyone A supports instead of relegating some chains to just C-B, and you'd be able to control which endings you get, as opposed to having to buy the DLC and spend renown for it! From where I'm standing, it seems like a win-win situation for everyone.

I mean you can control the endings you get already, you just have to look up how to do so, unfortunately.

S-supports unanimously across pairings were probably removed so that they didn’t feel forced since the relationships don’t have much time to naturally develop over just the playable part of the story, with some exceptions.

Just now, Sooks said:

S-supports unanimously across pairings were probably removed so that they didn’t feel forced since the relationships don’t have much time to naturally develop over just the playable part of the story, with some exceptions.

I don't understand, how does removing S-supports change this? I'd argue the lack of S-supports worsens the quality of a lot of Three Houses's support chains. They have even less time to develop the relationship (C-B-A as opposed to C-B-A-S), and you can get those ridiculous situations where a character confess their love for five different characters in their A supports, but they can only marry one. Having all chains be platonic until the S support would be much better, in my opinion.