Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

I suppose the Lover theme also deserves some credit for at least being used in a similar context as the original game. So a little obscured but having it's meaning preserved. That's indeed a cute little nod.

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

31 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Smash also insists on naming the Black Knight the Dark Knight, still not being intelligent enough to realise that's his JP name.

That's intelligence for ya. 10/10

What?

31 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Story 5 Encounter
Each Map's Victory
Stratagem
Lover 1

Ok that's four songs. Out of *checks notes* 101. Most of the songs are original, a few are remixes from FE6 and if you say the latter is lazy, I'm gonna call you a hypocrite because you just gave Thracia a pass for doing the same thing.

You're absolutely grasping at straws. 

25 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Y'all sleeping on the best recruitment theme: Tellius'

All of this started because I said Tellius' recruitment theme was mid.

38 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ok that's four songs. Out of *checks notes* 101. Most of the songs are original, a few are remixes from FE6 and if you say the latter is lazy, I'm gonna call you a hypocrite because you just gave Thracia a pass for doing the same thing.

101? I mean, if you are going to count the songs that are only used in the Sound Test, then I guess we can throw "Legend of the Divine Dragon" and the Silesia Palace theme into the mix, which are in there for some reason. (also that's still only 100, not 101)
And of course that number would include all the vendor and arena themes they recycle (the arena entrance theme doing double duty in this game as both the arena and the armory theme, so it's in that list twice) and the main theme.

Of course the number isn't really the problem in the first place. As I said, the Lover theme is fine the way it's used. But the other themes are used so often, it's a huge part of the game's musical identity.
Also the way their original purpose is ignored makes it feel like they were just scavenging those soundtracks. Not exactly helped by the fact that they similarly rip returning songs from FE6 of their original context, like reducing Brenya's character theme to a nondescript Sad theme.

That attitude extends to the story too. Like recycling the intro narration of FE6 word for word, despite the story of FE7 having nothing really to do with that game.

Edited by BrightBow

10 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

That attitude extends to the story too. Like recycling the intro narration of FE6 word for word, despite the story of FE7 having nothing really to do with that game.

Maybe not, but Blazing Sword's own story does revolve with things related to the scouring. So even if it's the same intro narration, it's still applicable.

56 minutes ago, Armagon said:

What?

His battle theme is named "against the Dark Knight" In Smash, all the from Brawl to Smash Ultimate. They decided it wasnt worth fixing but some others were. 

Edit: when mentioning FE7's music's that were taken from other games they also have FE4's Birth of a Holy Knight and FE5's attack theme. The former as the getting ready to enterr the arena theme and the latter as the arena theme. So that adds two more!

Edited by lightcosmo

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Maybe not, but Blazing Sword's own story does revolve with things related to the scouring. So even if it's the same intro narration, it's still applicable.

If you squint really hard and cross your eyes, I suppose you could excuse it. But that connection is pretty darn faint.

There is an evil mage who wants to become all-powerful and conquer the world. The fact that he wants to use dragons for this purpose matters little, considering he just reduces them to fuel for his own powers.

5 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

If you squint really hard and cross your eyes, I suppose you could excuse it. But that connection is pretty darn faint.

There is an evil mage who wants to become all-powerful and conquer the world. The fact that he wants to use dragons for this purpose matters little, considering he just reduces them to fuel for his own powers.

Faint? It goes on to explore over what happened to the dragons that didn't went to hiding on what became Arcadia (something Binding Blade didn't address), has actual members of the Eight Legends appear, Nergal's actions and motivations (regardless of his state of mind) revolve on dragons and the scouring. As Binding Blade, it also brings up the dangers of causing a repeat of the Scouring (as Athos comments Nergal may not be able to summit the dragons that come back and thus they would decide to retake Elibe by force if needed or for revenge). It may not be as center stage, but it's certainly no mere background prop.

26 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Also the way their original purpose is ignored makes it feel like they were just scavenging those soundtracks.

Literally how?

Together We Ride? Recruitment theme. Literally the same purpose it served in the Archanea games.

Victory theme? Well that's just self explanatory.

Strategem? Sounds like a bad guy theme. Which is exactly what it is iirc in all of it's instances.

Please tell me how exactly their original purpose is ignored when their original purpose is so basic you could put it in anything and it'd make sense 

As for the FE6 remixes, I'll give you Brunya's theme, even if she only mattered for like one chapter. Other than that, just like Archanea, a lot of the songs serve basic purposes that are interchangeable.

13 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

His battle theme is named "against the Dark Knight" In Smash, all the from Brawl to Smash Ultimate. They decided it wasnt worth fixing but some others were. 

Oh that. Ehhh, it's not as bad as renaming Eternal Bond "Ike's Theme".

*Sees people talking about recruitment themes*

Are those things going to be bygone fossils in the future? Do Fates and 3H even have recruitment themes? You don’t really need them if there aren’t substantial numbers of red and green to turn blue. FE’s growing tendency to give you everyone with a bare minimum of effort undermines the number of chances for the theme, though I concede that there have been moments when the recruitment music played when blues showed up.

I prefer Thracia’s myself. It has a certain preciousness to it, it isn’t “Hey, join us!” happy, it’s more “We’re in dire straits. Please, help us!”. An intimate sad plea.

It is a remix of FE4’s, and considering FE6 had it too despite the new continent, I’d say Melee could be the reason Together We Ride made its return in 7. But, I prefer 5’s rendition.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Are those things going to be bygone fossils in the future?

As much as I hate to admit it, this is what's already happening. Recruitment themes stopped being a thing in Awakening, along with battle themes (but those can go tbh).

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

prefer Thracia’s myself. It has a certain preciousness to it, it isn’t “Hey, join us!” happy, it’s more “We’re in dire straits. Please, help us!”. An intimate sad plea.

FE3 Book 2 Together We Ride has a similar feeling to what you described. 

Just now, Armagon said:

...along with battle themes (but those can go tbh).

I’m not beholden to Ablazes myself. Maybe because I started long before they were invented. However, some dedicated battle themes I admit are a waste of musical talent because they’re either made too short to be truly good, or they’re normal length and you rarely get to hear all their greatness because battles are short.

And then there’s my minor experience with SRW Original Generations, wherein groups of characters or even individuals get personal battle themes and they’re usually nice tunes. If a bit samey due to the sheer quantity that must exist. Considering this was introduced to me during my childhood on the GBA, it could still be exercising an influence on my aural strategic combative tastes.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

FE3 Book 2 Together We Ride has a similar feeling to what you described. 

True. Although the FE3 B2’s theme has a something of a “Arabian oriental palace/quaint old-fashioned organ at a baseball game” formality which gets in the way of the emotion for me. If I want real feels from Mystery, it’s the Theme of Love that does it for me.

Less than an hour til 2021! 

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

*Sees people talking about recruitment themes*

Are those things going to be bygone fossils in the future? Do Fates and 3H even have recruitment themes? You don’t really need them if there aren’t substantial numbers of red and green to turn blue. FE’s growing tendency to give you everyone with a bare minimum of effort undermines the number of chances for the theme, though I concede that there have been moments when the recruitment music played when blues showed up.

Fates has Guest of Shade (Conquest version) and Guest of... Light probably, knowing this game (Birthright version). I like them but there’s no way that’s popular...

Considering that recruitments in Three Houses are just like three usually basic lines from the character being recruited as they stand in their school/work building no theme would really fit that warrants playing for two and a half text boxes.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And then there’s my minor experience with SRW Original Generations, wherein groups of characters or even individuals get personal battle themes and they’re usually nice tunes. If a bit samey due to the sheer quantity that must exist. Considering this was introduced to me during my childhood on the GBA, it could still be exercising an influence on my aural strategic combative tastes.

Did someone say SRW battle themes!?

Just don't put it near On the Beautiful Blue Danube. It can override Trombe! itself!

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Did someone say SRW battle themes!?

Give whoever decided to make Elzam the character in that super rudimentary first battle on Ryusei’s route in OG1 a Custom CPU (that really awesome and rare part). His theme is as genius as his dodging.

5 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Edit, have you completed the Colisseum battles, then?

It's been almost two years when I played it, but I don't think I have.

I hardly used the arena in Tales.

Are there any special benefits from completing it?

Aside of that Berseria is the only Tales part I played 100%, and this even in Japanese.

My New Years Celebrations considered posting it on here, and then telling the dogs plus my only other awake family member who wasn’t in the shower. Back to life as normal.