Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Even just in the first chapter, you got Ward's excellent weapon ranks, Leon and Volo with Deathmatch, Dean and Arthur with Desperation and Chris' and Sylvis' with Aim.

Edited by BrightBow

• Replies 180.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

28 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That still doesn't save the difficulty for me, I must say. The near complete lack of prepromotes is the biggest reason it sucks so much. Without units with proper bases, you're left to the mercy of the RNG. Closest thing the game has to Jeigans are Catherine and Shamir, and I had to rely on them and recruited Leonie the entire way through, because my other units all sucked and the game wouldn't give me anybody else to replace them.

Then chapter 13 comes around and takes away all but eight growth units without warning, and well... Yeah. The eight growth units didn't grow well or were benched? Fuck you, then, you lose the game!

I will never understand how some people out there can defend that chapter, seriously.

I wasn’t trying to defend the difficultly or chapter 13, just saying that that’s what happened.

I mean I think your mindset of not using any growth units because they were bad at base is not at all how you’re supposed to play the game, but meh. That just means it’s not for you. And then you have me, almost never using prepromotes in standard fe...

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

Even in the first chapter, you got Ward's excellent weapon ranks, Leon and Volo with Deathmatch, Dean and Arthur with Desperation and Chris' and Sylvis' with Aim.

Don't forget Adel and Leon's Supporter! It brings their hitrates to a consistent 80~% on most of the enemies.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

I wasn’t trying to defend the difficultly or chapter 13, just saying that that’s what happened.

I mean I think your mindset of not using any growth units because they were bad at base is not at all how you’re supposed to play the game, but meh. That just means it’s not for you. And then you have me, almost never using prepromotes in standard fe...

My mindset? What's that supposed to mean? I'm not some LTC pro, I love using growth units like any other casual player! I always use growth units in every game! When I played Maddening, I gave my entire starting class a chance. They just fucking sucked! They could do absolutely nothing-- heck, half of them got one-rounded by everything! How is that my fault? Of course I'd drop them when Catherine and Shamir are standing right there with their ability to kill things! Can you truly blame me for that?

Of course, I suppose it is true that I did replace some of my starters with faculty units and recruits just because I liked them better as characters (Ignatz, Leonie, Hanneman). And yes, it is true that Hilda died. However, here is my problem: if the game doesn't want me to use anyone other than my starters, and if the game doesn't want me to let units die... Well, why give me the option? Why trick me into believing that I can do both of those things just fine and then screw me over royally, without warning, in chapter 13?

I'm sorry, but that's not the game being "not for me", that's the game being badly designed. If chapter 13 didn't exist, I wouldn't complain nearly as much, but chapter 13 is straight up a middle finger to any players that didn't religiously stick to the starting team. You can't take characters away from the player without offering even a single sad prepromote as compensation, that's just terrible design. At least Blue Lions has Gilbert and Silver Snow has Seteth, but if you're doing Claude's shitty route, you're fucked! No other FE has failed on such a basic level. Even the ones I enjoy less than Three Houses had enough sense to give you replacement units just in case.

It's worth noting that Ward starts with equipment that is much less accurate then the more mundane ones his peers start with. His Knight Sword has -10% accuracy compared to an ordinary Longsword and his Longspear has -20% accuracy compared to the Iron Spears Adel and Leon start out with. With an Iron Spear and Reese's Commander skill, he can actually reach 100+% hit right at the start. Same if he takes Reese's Rapier.
I still have him use the Longspear because I think that's simply the most effective method to take down that mini-boss on the bridge. I usually have Ward do a full 8 move charge with the Longspear, then have Ward slap him with the Rapier on the next turn and move into position for another full charge.

Edited by BrightBow

Have you ever went all out of your way to unlock a secret ending to a game, 100% completion to do so and then... 

Call: "uh, ref, I just got cheated!" 

A few lines... that's all I got after earning my 100% completion. BS, I say. I want my effort back!!! 

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'm sorry, but that's not the game being "not for me", that's the game being badly designed.

This is only in Maddening tbh.

For real tho, when i did Golden Deer, i recruited practically everyone and uses most of them. Ch.13 rolled around and.....yeah, it was shit because some of the Golden Deer were underused. But i didn't get softlocked.

In conclusion, Hard mode is always fair and balanced (unless it's FE6).

Well, it's not fun either when all the game's strategy merely amounts to moving your units into position to enemy phase as many foes as possible with your superior stats.

Edited by BrightBow

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

My mindset? What's that supposed to mean? I'm not some LTC pro, I love using growth units like any other casual player! I always use growth units in every game! When I played Maddening, I gave my entire starting class a chance. They just fucking sucked! They could do absolutely nothing-- heck, half of them got one-rounded by everything! How is that my fault? Of course I'd drop them when Catherine and Shamir are standing right there with their ability to kill things! Can you truly blame me for that?

Of course, I suppose it is true that I did replace some of my starters with faculty units and recruits just because I liked them better as characters (Ignatz, Leonie, Hanneman). And yes, it is true that Hilda died. However, here is my problem: if the game doesn't want me to use anyone other than my starters, and if the game doesn't want me to let units die... Well, why give me the option? Why trick me into believing that I can do both of those things just fine and then screw me over royally, without warning, in chapter 13?

I'm sorry, but that's not the game being "not for me", that's the game being badly designed. If chapter 13 didn't exist, I wouldn't complain nearly as much, but chapter 13 is straight up a middle finger to any players that didn't religiously stick to the starting team. You can't take characters away from the player without offering even a single sad prepromote as compensation, that's just terrible design. At least Blue Lions has Gilbert and Silver Snow has Seteth, but if you're doing Claude's shitty route, you're fucked! No other FE has failed on such a basic level. Even the ones I enjoy less than Three Houses had enough sense to give you replacement units just in case.

I thought you meant you dropped them because they started bad. Carry on.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

For real tho, when i did Golden Deer, i recruited practically everyone and uses most of them. Ch.13 rolled around and.....yeah, it was shit because some of the Golden Deer were underused. But i didn't get softlocked.

In this specific instance normal mode is, for once in its life, best here because it auto levels your units to I think level 20 if they’re below it, and from what I’ve heard the auto levels have better growths (not 100% on that though), but I don’t know how helpful it is if they’re still commoners/nobles or anything. I mean, it’s normal mode, so it’s still doable, but...

“But localization”

Wait, Radiant Dawn was the one where they messed up the difficulties in English right? Or was that Path of Radiance?

Edited by Sooks

“But localization”

Wait, Radiant Dawn was the one where they messed up the difficulties in English right? Or was that Path of Radiance?

That was Radiant Dawn.

NA Easy is JP Normal. NA Normal is JP Hard. And NA Hard is JP Maniac, which messed with basic gameplay mechanics like seeing enemy ranges or removing the weapon triangle.

“But localization”

The former.

Normal in RD is actually Hard, thus, my point still stands.

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I just wish hard was a wee bit more challenging. The last time I played Three Houses was on hard, and yeah, it was fair, but... it was also piss easy and I got bored really fast, so... Yeah.

That is where I really would say that the game is "not for me." I cannot stomach easy FEs. Three Houses on hard is... okay. I wouldn't call it much more than okay, I think the game is vastly overrated, but at least they seemed to have playtested it once, unlike Maddening. I can't call it "bad", just boring, for me personally.

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I thought you meant you dropped them because they started bad. Carry on.

Yeah, I'm afraid not. Actually, I didn't even "drop" all of them. Lorenz did get the boot because he was terrible and with 8 deployment slots that just wasn't to be, but Ignatz was an active member of the team from start to chapter 13. Problem is, I made him a mage, and although he worked fine in my first hard run, it just wasn't enough for Maddening. Got one-rounded by everything in chapter 13 when he appeared alongside Lorenz, who was even worse. Oof.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What?

Just musing on the RD difficulty change thing.

Like, would you consider something as the removal of see-able enemy ranges to be fair if it's labeled under "Maniac" or "Hard".

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Just musing on the RD difficulty change thing.

Like, would you consider something as the removal of see-able enemy ranges to be fair if it's labeled under "Maniac" or "Hard".

To be honest, hard or maniac, once I realized the difficulty had removed the ability to see enemy ranges I just noped the hell outta there. Making me count tiles isn't difficulty, it's just tedium. Which is a shame, because I was hoping hard would make the Ike sections less of a snoozefest. Oh, well.

15 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I cannot stomach easy FEs.

You beat TRS.

Then again, the last stretch of that game can be pretty challenging debatably for the wrong reasons.