Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

To be fair, in most cases the battle and level up quotes are actively detrimental to the characters. It feels like the Fates localization team wrote those, because they just zero in on one trait of the character and base all the quotes around that.

That doesn’t make her any less of a Loli.

Hanneman's age almost never comes up in conversation

Manuela.

, but then in battle he's all like "AGE IS JUST A NUMBER" all the time. His quotes are more about his age than crests! How?!

Ahaha, you fool! You can’t be an old playable character in Fire Emblem and not have a level up quote saying something about how age is or isn’t holding you back!

• Replies 177.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What...? New Mystery had the biggest cast in the entire series! It's a great game to ironman, you have so many options! I mean, maybe not in lunatic, but still, it's a better ironman game than some of the games that came before it.

I assume he's talking about the addition of casual mode.

I mean, it's an option, so there's no reason for the game design to change based on its presence, but eh. IS will do what they want. I don't care either way.

If it saves me from having to reset as many times for characters I want to save, then fine by me.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

As for why I refer to all of that through an extremely condescending usage of the term "anime", the reason is that I'm an asshole.

This is another untrue statement.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hanneman's age almost never comes up in conversation, but then in battle he's all like "AGE IS JUST A NUMBER" all the time. His quotes are more about his age than crests! How?!

Oh cool, that's still a thing. 😒

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What...? New Mystery had the biggest cast in the entire series! It's a great game to ironman, you have so many options! I mean, maybe not in lunatic, but still, it's a better ironman game than some of the games that came before it.

Yeah but Casual Mode.

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

I mean, lolis are characters who are adults that resemble children.

I personally don't think Flayn looks like a child. But again, that's a matter of perspective, really.

I just feel like the implication of her Byleth C and B supports were so the on the nose they might as well have had her turn and wink at the camera. They want her to look young.

I have to say, I don't understand the appeal of Hanneman. I saw him as nothing but the obsessive crest guy with a monocle.

Of course, I can respect the opinions of those who like him. I just don't get it myself.

Edited by twilitfalchion

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

That doesn’t make her any less of a Loli.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to argue that. I mean, heck, I agree with you there.

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Manuela.

That's only Manuela trying to make fun of him, though. What I'm trying to say is, being old isn't a character trait of Hanneman... except for his battle quotes, because the people that wrote those had nothing to go on except for his design, apparently.

6 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I assume he's talking about the addition of casual mode.

I mean, it's an option, so there's no reason for the game design to change based on its presence, but eh. IS will do what they want. I don't care either way.

If it saves me from having to reset as many times for characters I want to save, then fine by me.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah but Casual Mode.

The option itself doesn't irk me. I think options is a good thing! What worries me is stuff like Three Houses, with its tiny cast, awkward recruitment system and almost no prepromotes. Ironmanning that is cumbersome and difficult, and even a single death can be absolutely devastating. And with how popular and acclaimed the game is, chances are that they'll only double down on that design. And then the series will die for me, because big casts are one of my favorite parts about these games. That has been my worry since... heck, since before Three Houses released. I was already worried when it was revealed that the game's cast was extremely small.

4 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Oh cool, that's still a thing. 😒

Unfortunately. There are some quotes that I like, but most are just... either kinda there, or I'd rather do without. Hanneman in particular is really grating. He has "aha! A weakpoint!" as a crit quote, and... That's about it, almost everything else is like "I'm old!" even though being old is not a character trait of his anywhere else. Urgh.

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I have to say, I don't understand the appeal of Hanneman. I saw him as nothing but the obsessive crest guy with a monocle.

Of course, I can respect the opinions of those who like him. I just don't get it myself.

The design.

...No seriously, that was it at first. He had my favorite design in the game. Then I looked into his character, and the guy's actually surprisingly kind, caring and wise if you can look past his at times obsessive behavior. He doesn't mean any harm, and the reason behind his research is really noble. Check out his supports with Edelgard, they may surprise you.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

Edelgard support.

Yeah, locking the really good one to one route wasn’t cool but... Edelgard support.

Oh and his Marianne and Lysithea supports since that’s the harem you want 😜 we’re good too.

He has some explore dialogues that let you know he isn’t obsessive either. Like this one.

ec45IV3.jpg

In the context that the now has new crests he can research since the empire just conquered the Alliance (he’s with the empire, this is CF).

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The option itself doesn't irk me. I think options is a good thing! What worries me is stuff like Three Houses, with its tiny cast, awkward recruitment system and almost no prepromotes. Ironmanning that is cumbersome and difficult, and even a single death can be absolutely devastating. And with how popular and acclaimed the game is, chances are that they'll only double down on that design. And then the series will die for me, because big casts are one of my favorite parts about these games. That has been my worry since... heck, since before Three Houses released. I was already worried when it was revealed that the game's cast was extremely small.

While i understand your point of view, ironmanning is a pretty niche challenge and it's something most players probably won't do.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

If you don’t dislike casual mode, what’s the problem with Awakening and Fates?

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

While i understand your point of view, ironmanning is a pretty niche challenge and it's something most players probably won't do.

The games should still be designed around it. Either that, or just cut the crap and remove classic mode. Three Houses allows classic mode, but the game might as well game over you any time a unit dies, because you simply cannot afford to let anyone die. The cast is too small and too focused on growth for that. That's not great design.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

If you don’t dislike casual mode, what’s the problem with Awakening and Fates?

I said "steady decline", not "instant bad." Fates isn't bad, it's just got a more specialized, smaller cast than others. Again, not terrible, but not great either. As for Awakening, well... Honestly? I've no idea, I've just heard it's not good.

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Edelgard support.

Yeah, locking the really good one to one route wasn’t cool but... Edelgard support.

Oh and his Marianne and Lysithea supports since that’s the harem you want 😜 we’re good too.

Not even just his Edelgard support. Most of his supports are good. Heck, I'd argue the often acclaimed Manuela support is the most shallow one he gets. They just argue for three conversations, haha funny, now they marry. He gets nothing out of that, all of his other supports shed a more positive light on him than that.

He has some explore dialogues that let you know he isn’t obsessive either. Like this one.

ec45IV3.jpg

In the context that the now has new crests he can research since the empire just conquered the Alliance (he’s with the empire, this is CF).

Yeah, this. If you look into him at all, the guy's obsession is only really surface-level. He's too pushy at times, but it's clear he means no harm by it, and his objectives and intentions are noble. But, he's not a waifu, so why bother looking into him at all? Better keep on making excuses for Bernadetta!

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I mean, Sothis's design is questionable. I don't like it.

Sothis is literally dressed in fetish gear. I don't want to go on a puritan crusade, but... Ew.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Sothis is literally dressed in fetish gear. I don't want to go on a puritan crusade, but... Ew.

Not being a puritan. It's just an offensive design. Completely agree with you there.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I said "steady decline", not "instant bad." Fates isn't bad, it's just got a more specialized, smaller cast than others. Again, not terrible, but not great either. As for Awakening, well... Honestly? I've no idea, I've just heard it's not good.

“I’ve heard game is no good therefore I will assume it is lacking in an area I care about without hearing thoughts on it.”

Boomer mode activated. 😜

Not even just his Edelgard support. Most of his supports are good. Heck, I'd argue the often acclaimed Manuela support is the most shallow one he gets. They just argue for three conversations, haha funny, now they marry. He gets nothing out of that, all of his other supports shed a more positive light on him than that.

I said more than his Edelgard support!

I actually agree with you on the Manuela support. But his Linhardt support and Byleth support were shallow as well, iirc.

Edit: Apparently neither of those supports are shallow. Curse you, my memory!

But, he's not a waifu, so why bother looking into him at all? Better keep on making excuses for Bernadetta!

Excuses for what?

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

>Loli discussions

Nope, i am out.

Should’ve posted that gif you did last time.

Edited by Sooks

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The games should still be designed around it.

But it's hardly the first game to do this.

Radiant Dawn is pretty bad for ironmanning and if you ironman Thracia, you are actually insane. Genealogy doesn't seem that fun to ironman either.

And heck, Awakening is probably alright for ironmanning given how many characters there are.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

if you ironman Thracia, you are actually insane.

Thracia seems pretty decent to ironman so long as you're not playing blind.

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I’ve heard game is no good therefore I will assume it is lacking in an area I care about without hearing thoughts on it.”

Boomer mode activated. 😜

Hey, give me a break, okay? I've heard nothing but bad things about Awakening.

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Byleth support

What Byleth support isn't shallow? It's just characters talking their problems at a wall, then having the wall magically fix them. Even Kris offered more than that.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Excuses for what?

's a joke.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

But it's hardly the first game to do this.

Yeah, true. Heck, Berwick Saga itself isn't the best ironman game. The death compensation charms are cute, but the units are so well differentiated that each death hits like a truck.

Yeah, true. Heck, Berwick Saga itself isn't the best ironman game. The death compensation charms are cute, but the units are so well differentiated that each death hits like a truck.

Berwick is hella fun on a soft ironman imo. I'm still surprised I only ever got one game-over in my run.