Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

I am not talking about just Conquest, but Fates as whole haha.

And even though conquest get's alot of love due gameplay, alot of people don't even touch it due, ya know, Fates

Oh I know, I also know I don’t know anything about the general opinions of the subreddit other than Three Houses good and... I don’t know, fan art good, so I won’t argue on that.

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

with stories that are very surface-level and more often than not bad, and still you find people who play them for the story?

Yeah i also wonder.

Iirc according to the last big subreddit survey (which happens every once in a while) the split is like 60:40 gameplay:story

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

YES!!!! Silver Will again graces my ears!

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Also, this chapter is pretty damn good so far, wow.

how far in are you?

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It is when you land in the cesspools places where people only care about "muh story and characters" and disregard everything else about the games. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but... Heck, I'm also entitled to my opinion that those opinions are annoying! A series with so much gameplay as FE, with stories that are very surface-level and more often than not bad, and still you find people who play them for the story? How does one do that? I mean, it's fine, but... How?

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Yeah i also wonder.

Iirc according to the last big subreddit survey (which happens every once in a while) the split is like 60:40 gameplay:story

An excerpt from my introduction to the Thracia 776 Playlog that I'm doing (and if God wills it, I'll post Chapter 1 today):

If Fire Emblem was an abstract strategy game judged purely in terms of gameplay and treated as if there were no story, no characters, nothing other than pieces and stats and skills, then honestly, it's garbage. Why would I ever choose to play this when I could be playing chess (a superior strategy game that also has a social element) instead? That was my main gripe with the franchise until I played Genealogy of the Holy War

4 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

YES!!!! Silver Will again graces my ears!

587100302491254789.png?v=1

It's the best.

4 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Also, this chapter is pretty damn good so far, wow.

Ikr. Enjoy the rest of the game!~

3 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

when I could be playing chess (a superior strategy game that also has a social element) instead?

chess doesn't have unit skills, funny animation, different maps, different objectives, math, etc.

also you need friends for chess. Chess vs. Bots sucks.

Edited by Shrimperor

I wonder what you guys will like more

Silver Will or Unfathomed Force

hmmmmmmm

I am team Silver Will fyi

Edited by Shrimperor

34 minutes ago, Armagon said:

He is literally voiced by J.K Simmons so this is actually an accurate statement.

Perfect, Tenzin blasting his kids is an evil twist that Bryke would never have done.

He seems like the kinda guy who'd punch his employees if he could. For despite his being ethical enough in the movie from what I've heard, I do think he'd not hold back if he could do so freely.

9 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

chess doesn't have unit skills, funny animation, different objectives, etc.

Not every FE game has these.

10 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

math

I hate Math.

10 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

also you need friends for chess.

Yeah... and I consider that a bonus.

As it is, I already love Silver Will though I have yet to encounter it in game. I’ll probably save that other track to be a wonderful surprise when I get there though.

Or more like if, because lack of money means lack of good computer.

Gunter just got a point of speed. See, he's an Oifey, he hasn't fallen off yet.

17 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

An excerpt from my introduction to the Thracia 776 Playlog that I'm doing (and if God wills it, I'll post Chapter 1 today):

No, no, this I get. I mean, heck, it's why I like it too. I may talk big about gameplay all the way, but I get attached to the characters like anyone else.

What I don't get are the people who disregard the gameplay entirely and merely consider it a stepping stone for the story, which is for them the main appeal of the series. I just don't get that. FE stories are not robust enough to stand on their own, they merely complement the gameplay. I'm not saying it's a wrong way to enjoy the series, there's no "wrong" way to do that, but... Well, I don't get it.

...Also, I believe FE and chess are different enough that you can't just call chess "superior." They're both strategy games, but that's like saying Prince of Persia sucks because Mario exists. They're barely anything alike! Sure, you jump in both of them, and in FE and chess you move pieces around, but... Beyond that, they've little in common.

14 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

chess doesn't have unit skills, funny animation, different maps, different objectives, math, etc.

also you need friends for chess. Chess vs. Bots sucks.

And yeah, this too.

2 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

I hate Math.

Yes, I can see how that would be a problem...

Edited by Saint Rubenio

3 minutes ago, Dayni said:

He seems like the kinda guy who'd punch his employees if he could. For despite his being ethical enough in the movie from what I've heard, I do think he'd not hold back if he could do so freely.

J. Jonah Jameson is unironically a tsundere. He likes to act all mean and stuff but he genuinely does care for his employees.

3 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

I hate Math.

Yoooo based.

The one thing I find weird about people treating FE as having a great story is, well, supports.

This looks like something i should try

8 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

I hate Math

smh i thought you were kino

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What I don't get are the people who disregard the gameplay entirely and merely consider it a stepping stone for the story, which is for them the main appeal of the series. I just don't get that.

yeah.

Although what i do get however and which something FE does quite well, atleast better than many other games, is it's gameplay Story integration. Even the weakest of FE stories has better integration than most games out there

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

The one thing I find weird about people treating FE as having a great story is, well, supports.

don't get me started. Supports is a shitty mechanic, yet everyone seems to love it

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Although what i do get however and which something FE does quite well, atleast better than many other games, is it's gameplay Story integration. Even the weakest of FE stories has better integration than most games out there

Yeeeeeeeeaaaah but it's either good gameplay-story integration or atrocious and there's like no in-between.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

don't get me started. Supports is a shitty mechanic, yet everyone seems to love it

Yeah. On my "supports bad" thread, it was kinda weird how nobody even understood the idea of events and stuff replacing them in a way that intergrates the characters more and allows for more varied interactions  and thought I just wanted the removal of interactions...

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What I don't get are the people who disregard the gameplay entirely and merely consider it a stepping stone for the story, which is for them the main appeal of the series. I just don't get that.

To be fair, generally speaking, SRPGs have the expectation to put gameplay over story, so when you have any sort of story at all, I think it exceeds some other games in the genre. That, and other big-name first party ninty games like Mario or most Zeldas aren't very story-heavy either, so FE looks great in comparison. Plus, some games do genuinely have solid plots-I really enjoy Sacred Stones and will die on the hill that it has a great story.

One of the biggest reasons I want someone to play Y0 is so that I can be validated and don't just think it's the best story ever because it was my first non-FE/Zelda story-based game.

23 minutes ago, Armagon said:

J. Jonah Jameson is unironically a tsundere. He likes to act all mean and stuff but he genuinely does care for his employees.

Tsundere in the movie or not, he seems pretty terrible in other renditions (Not every other rendition mind). But that's inevitable with works running as ling and as willing to open alternate timelines as Spiderman have.

And ethics in journalism is not exclusive from wanting to give someone the old one-two for their behaviour. I'm not calling Jameson a saint in that regard.

16 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What I don't get are the people who disregard the gameplay entirely and merely consider it a stepping stone for the story, which is for them the main appeal of the series. I just don't get that. FE stories are not robust enough to stand on their own, they merely complement the gameplay. I'm not saying it's a wrong way to enjoy the series, there's no "wrong" way to do that, but... Well, I don't get it.

While I do care about gameplay, I believe there must be a balance between Story and Gameplay. If the gameplay is even good but the rest is, well, Conquest-tier, then I won't care about anything that is happening on the screen, and it will lessen my desire to continue the game (especially in frustrating moments). It is one of the reasons I don't hold up Conquest in a high regard, even between Fates versions.

29 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yes, I can see how that would be a problem...

22 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

smh i thought you were kino

I like basic math just fine, the problem is when they start to put letters in the middle of the numbers.

23 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Story and gameplay integration is kino.

Well, I've given Hinoka a couple attempts, but I can never FE properly at night, so I guess I'll call it a day.

Oh, by the by, remember how I said the plan was to put Felicia back on the team, even if Leo got replaced by a grinning brigand because he sucked? Well, as it turns out, everyone in Takumi's Fun Castle having crit on my units convinced me to bench her too. Turns out, Izana can rally luck, and on a staffbot magic > speed, not to mention Izana is the best Fates waifu.

So yeah, she got the boot for him. I regret nothing. I just wish he existed for longer. Much longer. He's the best character in Fates, after all.

Just now, Maof06 said:

While I do care about gameplay, I believe there must be a balance between Story and Gameplay. If the gameplay is even good but the rest is, well, Conquest-tier, then I won't care about anything that is happening on the screen, and it will lessen my desire to continue the game (especially in frustrating moments). It is one of the reasons I don't hold up Conquest in a high regard, even between Fates versions.

I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

48 minutes ago, Benice said:

Supports can be ignored, and 99% of the time have absolutely nothing to do with the story.

I mean, i am no stranger to bad story making me lose interest in a game *cough*Modern Trails*cough*, but i definetly do put Gameplay in a higher regard

well, and modern Trails gameplay also sucks ass

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Supports can be ignored, and 99% of the time have absolutely nothing to do with the story.

which is weird af, that strange vacuum they exist it.

Also the fact that they are only 1 on 1

46 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

This looks like something i should try

That bit about the ending tells me based on how I heard it there's a kind of brutal perspective from the devs wanting to make it clear that the fate of the setting forces a certain way no matter the choices made. But the reviewer also makes it clear that it shouldn't force the player to just roll with it either.

That does make the game sound interesting alright.

I might just need to sleep and got it wrong though.