Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Best I found:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/kino#:~:text=Dating back to the late,%2C” or “cinema.”

First recorded in 1925–30; from German, shortened form of Kinematograph, from French cinématographe “movie camera/projector”

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/kino

At the beginning of the 1929 film Man with a Movie Camera directed by Sovet filmmaker Dziga Vertov, a statement is displayed referring to "absolute kinography" as an "absolute language of cinema":

"This new experimental work by Kino-Eye is directed towards the creation of an authentically international absolute language of cinema – ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY – on the basis of its complete separation from the language of theatre and literature."

Edited by Acacia Sgt

• Replies 176.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I still don't get the "kino" thing. I know what it means now, but I don't get it. Where did that come from? Do we even know...?

I think the German word for "cinema" or "theater" or sth (I don't remember) is "Kino." Could totally be wrong though.

So Kino's usage as praise i's basically from the 1920's and 1930's. What a pre-boomer word.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

I don't understand why Byleth is so high in the polls either lmao, and i don't exactly hate Byleth lol.

Do you know of a poll where the main character doesn't rank highly? Simply being the most visible character of a cast overrides personality deficiencies to the "unwashed" and "unlearned" majority of the audience. -Such is how I explain it. The majority is not inherently critical. Although fluctuating sales for products in a series should mean they have some form of discerning capacity.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

17 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

MC advantage huh

Corrin didn't benefit from that tho, right?

I'm not sure. Although, Corrin does have a handful of Seasonals in FEH, and Robin got a few early ones as well, heck even Kris the latecomer to FEH got one recently. Not a single avatar has won that CYL contest in FEH. But all three of Awakening's main characters got into Smash, and Corrin and Byleth too. And the great majority of CYL winners have been lords -MC advantage applies if you're supposed to be a puppet for the player or not.

I wouldn't say there won't ever be characters more popular than MCs, but, you can expect them to never do poorly. They're upper mid popularity at a bare minimum barring real outliers I'd say.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I wouldn't say there won't ever be characters more popular than MCs, but, you can expect them to never do poorly. They're upper mid popularity at a bare minimum barring real outliers I'd say.

I mean, Leif at 63th right below a bunch of Heroes OCs and some dude from TMS still hurts no matter which way you look at it.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

XUFX3cl.png

oh well, expected.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, Leif at 63th right below a bunch of Heroes OCs and some dude from TMS still hurts no matter which way you look at it.

Leif is also from the least sold game in the franchise that is like 20something years old, and that wasn't localised, either.

Edited by Shrimperor

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, Leif at 63th right below a bunch of Heroes OCs still hurts no matter which way you look at it.

What is a Thracia? Isn't that another name for your windpipe? 

-I was well aware of 776, and my answer to that is Thracia is Japan-only, and even within that crowd, a fan translation wasn't In America!/10 wasn't finished until... was it two years ago now? Thracia is very obscure.

As for Heroes OCs. Yet again, screen time creates popularity. You don't need to "develop" a character if they are plenty visible. Maybe I'm being too... pessimistic? about about the masses and popularity polls.

I freaking hate the Watcher Knights.

They're the most annoying boss I've ever encountered in any game.

FE6's "can't touch this" bosses have nothing on how frustrating the Watchers are.

*cough*

That is all.

Edited by twilitfalchion

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It should be illegal for a character to be as amazing as Olivier.

Yes.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The guy shows up out of nowhere and has nothing to do with anything in the story or any of the characters. He joins because he got thrown into jail for the dumbest reason and then spent the entire night annoying the heroes.

Actually, I just realized what he is. He's Virion. He's just fucking Virion.

Virion? The guy who joins because he’s harassing a woman? Who’s entire personality is one trait?

No.

Not gonna lie, at the time I was torn between finding it amazing that a meme won, or saddened by the fact that all you need is to exist in Three Houses to beat the likes of frigging Marth.

I mean Marth was above every other Three Houses male that competed. It’s because he’s a meme in the newest and best selling Fire Emblem, not just the character the fan base chose at random from that game.

I still don't get the "kino" thing. I know what it means now, but I don't get it. Where did that come from? Do we even know...?

Shhhh. Just embrace kino.

Kino.

40 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

HfHmtxQ.png

What Ereh could never do

That second panel... looks like this is your favorite genre.

Edited by Sooks

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ruben: I don't like Beast style because it's really slow.

Also Ruben: WAIT

BEAST STYLE LET ME USE PEOPLE

TO HIT OTHER PEOPLE

THERE we go! Knew you'd end up likin' it.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

BEST GAME EVER

Wait 'til you get to the good part!

Hope you'll enjoy Majima's styles as well. They felt really different, 'least to me! And Breaker is beautiful to look at.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

ffxiv-male-viera-710x395.jpg

It's been 18 years, three months, and 11 days since the fantasy race was created, and at last, we get to lay eyes on Male Vieras! Da bunny boys got sexy slim bods, I'd hop on one -if Square threw them into a game I'd actually play.😆

Male Viera exist? Never thought that'd happen.

Also, have to do it:

FaGBP.png.ec14d4e96ec7248b82215a6de926418f.png]

(And with that I have my POV bonk picture)

(As an aside the fact that this never got redone with the SoV versions of the characters is a little sad to me: Or much of any of the old Gaiden art)

FEG_Lukas_Forsyth_Python.png

14 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Virion? The guy who joins because he’s harassing a woman? Who’s entire personality is one trait?

No.

Okay, look. The general principle is the same. They both come out of nowhere! Olivier is just better written is all.

15 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I mean Marth was above every other Three Houses male that competed.

Yes, because shitstain Claude already beat him in the prior poll.

Now that one, that one was the one that truly annoyed me.

16 minutes ago, Sooks said:

It’s because he’s a meme in the newest and best selling Fire Emblem, not just the character the fan base chose at random from that game.

Marianne and Lysithea won and they're just secondaries with no plot relevance, no meme value and average waifuism, no such character from any other FE would stand a chance

16 minutes ago, Benice said:

THERE we go! Knew you'd end up likin' it.

I just hadn't tried pressing Q and then pressing Q again yet.

Also, I just love that the person who teaches this style is a tiny girl with generic voice clips. This game is wonderful.

16 minutes ago, Benice said:

Wait 'til you get to the good part!

It gets better? So far it's been a blast! Even the time I had to climb five floors, beat a man with a ratface six times and then fight a dude stronger than Senator Fuckin' Armstrong without saving!

12 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Ruben I hope you caught my edit. I sounded rude in the original, unintentionally so.

I don't think I caught the original, but I'm sure it wasn't so bad.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Marianne and Lysithea won and they're just secondaries with no plot relevance, no meme value and average waifuism, no such character from any other FE would stand a chance

Wait until the next game is out. Then those will be the ones dominating the polls.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

cracks-knuckles-gif-11.gif