• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

7 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

A large part about what I like about this theme isn't actually the music itself (although it does match my tastes perfectly, just like Lucia), but it's actually more the character it is associated with. Same as Lucia, really. I already talked at length about Malvasia, so I'll spare you the sermon, but the character whose theme this is has a backstory that just says "Draggy's gonna love this!"
To wit:
Basically, Byakuren was a Buddhist nun, until one day her brother died, at which point she began to fear death. And so she started to seek immortality, and ended up attaining it through use of dark magic (thus basically turning her back on Buddhism, and practically becoming a Youkai herself). She also used her newfound powers to restore her youth. Now, the caviat is that she can only stay immortal so long as Youkai are around, so she did everything she could to protect them to preserve her immortality, while posing as someone who exterminates them. Over time, this selfish need turned into a genuine desire to help Youkai, and to have Youkai and humans live together in harmony. People didn't like this, however, so she was sealed away for a thousand years.
And her original theme does such a good job of reflecting all that. Her hope, her sorrow, and her resolve... all perfectly captured by the music. And THAT is what makes me love it so much, beyond it just being damn good music!

Not to mention, she is one of the nicest characters in the entire cast of Touhou. Hence her fan nickname "Youkai Jesus". xD

Also, from this, it should be no secret to ANYONE that Byakuren is easily my favorite character in Touhou.

And yes, this is the character they gave a motorcycle to in a later fighting game spin-off. XD

Interesting to hear. She sounds like a great character.

4 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Nice pfp, draggy!

Thanks! ^^
Same to you!

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

Interesting to hear. She sounds like a great character.

Yep! All that actually surprised me the first time I read it in the game she's from (of which I only watched a playthrough).
Didn't think Touhou'd be the series for that kind of stuff, you know?

7 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Nice.

It still kinda makes me grin like an idiot, like how I imagine you grin when you read the name Egghill.

7 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, it is. But the game spends all of its Raven sections insisting that Folka is always right, and then when she's trying to talk Bolverk down he sort of doubts himself for just a second, so most people end up believing that Folka might be able to pull Bolverk back to the side of good through some trite speech about the power of friendship and love or some shit.

Except Banner Saga is not that kind of story, so instead she gets her throat slashed by the closest thing to a father she ever had and you feel like a dumbass.

That second part is very much true. So, so much. As for the first part, well, 

Spoiler

I didn’t actually think Folka was going to sway Bolverk, which might be the hardest part because looking back I’m like “what was I hoping to accomplish”. I really went on autopilot for any decision regarding Bolverk that Folka was making. Maybe I was hoping to avoid a battle? I don’t know. It feels so pointless, and makes me feel even dumber. RIP Folka.

Folka the Last Standing.

Either way, I felt like such an idiot that it kind of killed my motivation for another nightly let’s play, but I’ll be ready to continue with the game today.

Noooooo

Spoiler

Rugga broke free? I mean, I still think not killing him was the right call, because all of his supporters would be angry, but I didn’t expect that.

Spoiler

Ubin continues to be awesome by basically being Iver 2.0, statwise. I’d bench Fasolt for him, but Hakon left for some reason so if I don’t get him in the next battle, Fasolt will stay on until he comes back.

Edit 2: I forgot I actually benched Oddleif for Fasolt for just that battle, so never mind, Oddleif will replace Fasolt instead. Unbin is still cool though, I’m considering replacing Petrus with him now.

Edit: I didn’t get the heroic title of the character who died back, but that’s okay, because I can still laugh at the fact that I gave her the title “the last standing” and she died 2 minutes later.

Edited by Sooks

Spoiler

First choice of the chapter, I will have a horseborn ally try and convince the horseborn Ubin brought along to join the caravan.

Edit: Oh I get to pick which one. Hmm… sending a veteran fighter might stir up old feuds if Derdriu fought them before, so she’s out. That leaves the tribe leader and the skilled trader, which I am unsure of. They did lose all of their leadership, but do they want to listen to the leader of another tribe? And a skilled trader would be good at convincing, but I don’t really have anything to trade with my 4 days worth of supplies. Hm… I think I’ll go with Scathach, skilled trader, because I’m still afraid of horseborn feuds, and the leader of another tribe may bring that up. Don’t let me down Scathach! It worked!

Next choice, I will give the people fixing the walls enough fighters to help fix the walls and stand guard, because I do have quite a few fighters.

Edited by Sooks

@Saint Rubenio

NOOOOOOOOOOO

Spoiler

I… what just…..

Okay so the game gave me a choice to open the gates to the dredge or to not, and I chose to because we all need to be allies and stuff. Then Oddleif mentioned the dredge baby we picked up all the way back in the first game. She thought showing them we stole one of their children would be an offering of peace, and my reaction to that was “yeah, no”, so I sent Rook out there alone AND SOMEONE THREW A SPEAR AT HIM WHEN HE LED THE DREDGE BACK AND HE DIED!!

I LITERALLY PICKED THIS CHOICE THINKING “they wouldn’t kill the protagonist” AND THEY DID!!! The Banner Saga devs are too good at their job.

Death counter: 6.

Edit: Well everything’s gone to poop, 

Spoiler

The amount of supplies, varl, fighters and clansmen I had determined how long we could survive the Aberrang now being destroyed by in-fighting, and I got 14 days. I don’t know if that’s good.

Edit 2: 

Spoiler

I guess Rook the Forsaken really was forsaken.

Edited by Sooks

Been playing FTL for a good two hours. Kinda lost track of time. What did I miss?

14 minutes ago, Sooks said:

@Saint Rubenio

NOOOOOOOOOOO

Hide contents

I… what just…..

Okay so the game gave me a choice to open the gates to the dredge or to not, and I chose to because we all need to be allies and stuff. Then Oddleif mentioned the dredge baby we picked up all the way back in the first game. She thought showing them we stole one of their children would be an offering of peace, and my reaction to that was “yeah, no”, so I sent Rook out there alone AND SOMEONE THREW A SPEAR AT HIM WHEN HE LED THE DREDGE BACK AND HE DIED!!

I LITERALLY PICKED THIS CHOICE THINKING “they wouldn’t kill the protagonist” AND THEY DID!!! The Banner Saga devs are too good at their job.

Death counter: 6.

Ah. I missed this.

...You know what? I was actively hoping this'd happen to you. Not out of ill will or anything, but rather because this event is so incredible that it's just a flying shame to miss it.

Spoiler

Indeed, you can get the protagonist killed here. You can fuck up so badly that Oddleif has to step up and become the protagonist because everyone else is dead. Oh, and by the way, if you have her follow you out of the walls with the baby? The dredge react positively to it, but then she jumps in front of the spear and dies. And if you don't let the dredge in, you don't get the big dredge guy that joins you afterwards. So yeah.

There's only two ways to get out of this one without deaths: Go out with the dredge baby on your own (the baby's presence leads Bastion to shield Rook/Alette from the spear, and he's big enough to avoid damage), or go out with Oddleif and the baby if playing as Alette and she learned mending from Eyvind (that's a thing she can do). Oddleif gets skewered, but Alette is able to keep her breathing long enough to get her back inside, then the menders take over and patch her up properly.

I love this event because it's influenced by decisions all the way back in tbs1, and well... It can kill the fucking protagonist. How amazing is that?

tl;dr: Stoic (Banner Saga devs) have balls the size of planet Earth and Banner Saga is awesome. That's all you non-spoiler-reading folks need to know.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah. I missed this.

...You know what? I was actively hoping this'd happen to you. Not out of ill will or anything, but rather because this event is so incredible that it's just a flying shame to miss it.

Reveal hidden contents

Indeed, you can get the protagonist killed here. You can fuck up so badly that Oddleif has to step up and become the protagonist because everyone else is dead. Oh, and by the way, if you have her follow you out of the walls with the baby? The dredge react positively to it, but then she jumps in front of the spear and dies. And if you don't let the dredge in, you don't get the big dredge guy that joins you afterwards. So yeah.

There's only two ways to get out of this one without deaths: Go out with the dredge baby on your own (the baby's presence leads Bastion to shield Rook/Alette from the spear, and he's big enough to avoid damage), or go out with Oddleif and the baby if playing as Alette and she learned mending from Eyvind (that's a thing she can do). Oddleif gets skewered, but Alette is able to keep her breathing long enough to get her back inside, then the menders take over and patch her up properly.

I love this event because it's influenced by decisions all the way back in tbs1, and well... It can kill the fucking protagonist. How amazing is that?

tl;dr: Stoic have balls the size of planet Earth and Banner Saga is awesome. That's all you non-spoiler-reading folks need to know.

Very, very amazing. What happened for you here? 

Spoiler

And how come only Alette can be taught mending? Not that it matters since Rook wouldn’t have been able to mend himself, just curious.

That cutscene where he falls to the ground and sees Alette’s face was wonderful though.

Just now, Sooks said:

Very, very amazing. What happened for you here? 

Spoiler

Unlike you, who just plain screwed up, I made no mistakes here... Because I had already made them all the way back in tbs1 - I put up the baby's fate to a vote, and the caravan chose to leave it behind. In this scenario, the only choices were to keep the dredge out, losing Bastion, or let them in. I sealed Rook's fate.

Just now, Sooks said:
  Hide contents

And how come only Alette can be taught mending? Not that it matters since Rook wouldn’t have been able to mend himself, just curious.

Spoiler

Actually, I'm pretty sure the topic simply doesn't come up for Rook. Alette shows some curiousity when Eyvind's doing his thing and I guess he sees some potential in her that Rook doesn't have. Maybe due to his age. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Just now, Sooks said:
Spoiler

That cutscene where he falls to the ground and sees Alette’s face was wonderful though.

Spoiler

Absolutely wonderful, and it's not the only awesome scene you'll get from this massive mistake. By the by, if you're curious, Alette gets her own version of the scene if she dies there.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hide contents

Unlike you, who just plain screwed up, I made no mistakes here... Because I had already made them all the way back in tbs1 - I put up the baby's fate to a vote, and the caravan chose to leave it behind. In this scenario, the only choices were to keep the dredge out, losing Bastion, or let them in. I sealed Rook's fate.

Spoiler

At least I’m not the only one who got Rook killed.

I was so close, yet so far away.

Edited by Sooks

Just now, Sooks said:

I was so close, yet so far away.

Spoiler

Your biggest mistake was using game logic and assuming the protagonist was safe. Please... How many times did I warn you? This ain't Telltale!

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Reveal hidden contents

Your biggest mistake was using game logic and assuming the protagonist was safe. Please... How many times did I warn you? This ain't Telltale!

Spoiler

Hey, the protagonist can die in Telltale games!

Then the game makes you reload a minute earlier and redo the QTEs. Your choices matter, Ruben.

Seriously though, you are right, that was my biggest mistake. I was so confident too, I went “pssh, the game isn’t gonna kill the protagonist” internally and the game killed the protagonist. I mean I like Oddleif, but how is she gonna get her happily ever after now?

Anyway the chapter ended there, I think the only other noteworthy thing that happened was that I made a choice that got me 100 somethings clansmen, by telling the people of Aberrang that the Valka were working on saving them. I got an achievement for having over 300 clansmen at the end of chapter 20, I hope this means the caravan can survive Aberrang.

Last thing to note is I like how they brought back a seemingly incredibly minor choice. Even before I had to make a choice with it, I was really surprised when Oddleif mentioned the baby.

Edited by Sooks

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:
  Hide contents

Hey, the protagonist can die in Telltale games!

Then the game makes you reload a minute earlier and redo the QTEs. Your choices matter, Ruben.

Ahh yes, how to forget. The iconic waste time of your life vs not waste time of your life decisions in the Telltale games.

Gotta say, some of the loss screens in those games are goofy enough that they're worth the investment.

Spoiler

Anyway the chapter ended there, I think the only other noteworthy thing that happened was that I made a choice that got me 100 somethings clansmen, by telling the people of Aberrang that the Valka were working on saving them. I got an achievement for having over 300 clansmen at the end of chapter 20, I hope this means the caravan can survive Aberrang.

Spoiler

You're getting close now, so when you get there, answer me this question: How much time?

You'll know what I mean when you get there.

Spoiler

Last thing to note is I like how they brought back a seemingly incredibly minor choice , even before I had to make a choice with it, I was really surprised when Oddleif mentioned the baby.

Spoiler

And odds are you'd forgotten about it by now. This and Eirik being in Strand in you let him return are some great examples of series-wide decisions in Banner Saga. Great stuff, great stuff.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hide contents

You're getting close now, so when you get there, answer me this question: How much time?

You'll know what I mean when you get there.

Spoiler

If you missed my edit earlier, the game said the caravan could last 14 days in Aberrang, if that’s what you meant.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:
  Hide contents

If you missed my edit earlier, the game said the caravan could last 14 days in Aberrang, if that’s what you meant.

Spoiler

Excellent, goddamnit, excellent! I was afraid you'd have too many....

You see, when you run out of days, it's not over - instead, you return to Arberrang and have to perform tasks to buy some more time. That was my worry with Gudmundr - if you do too well, you miss out on some extra sequences.

In both my runs I got 11 days. In my first I returned three times. In my second, I self-sabotaged a bit so I could see the maximum amount, five. And, honestly? These sections are so fucking good. Really worth viewing.

So yeah, what I'm trying to say is, do what you wish, but don't be afraid to make some choices that might waste some time - it won't be the end of the world... Not necessarily, at least.