• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

In an alternative world where mainline SRW had come abroad well before it's 30th birthday, I in my undiscerning youth, craving more SRW after OG2, grabbed the all of the mainline GBA games not aware of the presence of "anime" in them and became a mecha anime fan. (I mean I almost slightly did IRL, I have some very vague memories of Zoids. But young child me was extremely finicky about anime and dropped anything as soon as a change happened that I didn't like. Nor did I have the desire to keep up on a long-running series. Thus, I never truly latched onto anything anime, it all came and it all went without a lasting impact.) As I've said before, the OGs were incredibly fun for me, and Bian's plans were part of that which I have continued to remember. I had to get that comparison out of my system.

If only Alpha 1 had left Japan. IIRC the game almost did, but the North American licenser of Macross sank it.

Oh, I know. Considering that surprisingly Harmony Gold has allowed another company to distribute the original Macross but still keeping rights of the property and Robotech worldwide sans Japan, it's hard to say if it'd be okay now to have Macross stuff internationally in SRW. It's worth to note Macross stopped appearing in SRW when the English translations began, since it was officially sold in SEA now.

It's a shame, considering Alphaverse tackles the interesting What if of "What if the Earth Federation actually paid attention to Bian Zoldark". He goes MIA in the backstory, but appears for a single scene in Alpha 3 talking with Sophia Nate.

As it is, there's some lost nuance when not knowing the full extent of Bian's machinations in the non-OG continuities. Like how in the Classicverse his "token bad guys joining DC" include the Principality of Zeon from Gundam and Dr. Hell from Mazinger Z. The former specially took an interesting direction since after Bian's death in SRW 2, the Zabi Family took over DC during SRW 3, where the divide between "actually fight the aliens" and "keep fighting the EF for Spacenoid independence and maybe try to make deals with the aliens" provoked some fracture within their ranks. Then by SRW 4/F/FF you had Neo DC effectively playing the role of Neo Zeon, since Haman Kharn was in charge of Neo DC. Effectively DC and Zeon became one and the same.

OGverse made a homage to this with Maier Branstein, since in OGverse the colonies also sided with Bian. Which makes sense. In face of alien invasion, the space colonies would be the first to be attacked, which prompted Zeon/UCC to side with DC (and the Zeons had the baggage of already being at odds with the EF over spacenoid independence).

Alphaverse also did some homage by having the Zabi Family and Dr. Hell allied during Alpha 1.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's not.

It's really not.

The game is extremely good at what it does, and that is not a good thing.

I mean, it is, but... you'll get what I mean.

I think I get what you mean already.

I mean, the game just looks so happy and wholesome, boy I can’t wait for a sweet, feel good story.

23 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:
Yn1o8l2t o

Holy damage to all enemies. Steep'ish mana cost. I'll take it.

The problem with the mistake I made earlier is that I've kinda overlevelled myself, so now every enemy dies in one hit to everything.

Are you actually putting everyone here as spell names? XD

WOT

High school anime Souls when, From?! I WANT IT NAOW

Edited by Benice

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I think I get what you mean already.

No, you don't.

You have no fucking idea...

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I mean, the game just looks so happy and wholesome, boy I can’t wait for a sweet, feel good story.

It's going to be great.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Are you actually putting everyone here as spell names? XD

You know, that's not a bad idea. I think I'll check everyone out.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

No, you don't.

Why would you do this to poor, young Sooks?

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

No, you don't.

Good.

7 minutes ago, Benice said:

I want this chaos.

Edited by Sooks

Ninja's Cave >>> Fuga's Wild Ride. Fuck whoever designed this map.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Btw @Maof06 if you’re still curious about my final play time, Steam has me at 116.6 hours.

mfw

vvXmS18.png

All right, so, the spells. Serenes blocked me because images, and then it ate the post, so I had to do it all over again. Nice.

For context, if you haven't been following my posts, I'm playing a JRPG called Treasure of the Rudras. It has a super cool magic system where you can input any words and use them as spells and see what they do. Here's what you guys have to offer!

Shrimperor: cheap void damage on one enemy. Until I tried it out and it dealt like 100 damage. Wow. I'm actually gonna keep this one.

Acaciasgt: Lightning damage to all enemies. AoE is nice, but the damage is mediocre and the mana cost is so high my mage can only use it once.

Benice: Raises one ally's defense. I guess it's because they're steeling themselves for the Yakuza shilling

Dragonflames: Similar to Shrimpy, except it's fire damage instead.

Armagon: Cheap AoE water damage. Except it dealt 200 damage to all enemies and instantly killed them. They were fire enemies, so I want to believe some elemental shenanigans were at play, and not Armagon being overpowered... But then I tried it out against other enemies and it dealt over 100, same as Shrimpy. Soooo yeah. Armagon is overpowered. Fucking great. Even here I lose...

Twilit: Middling lightning damage to all enemies. Similar to Acacia, just way cheaper.

Observer: MIddling void damage to all enemies. Similar to Acacia and Twilit... except its animation is the word "observer" flying across the screen. I love it, it's very funny.

Lightcosmo: Can be casted on an ally and the effect is "attack cannot fail", whatever that means. Almost as expensive as Acacia.

Wraith: Water version of Shrimpy. Still somehow weaker than Armagon.

Maof (no numbers allowed sorry): Shrimpy 2. That's it.

And last, but not least:

Saintrubenio: Crappy void damage to all enemies. Not as crappy as Observer's, though, and the animation is the same, so...

I get to spam my name at the enemies. Okay, this is just perfect. I love this game.

Incidentally, I discovered while trying out the spells that the regular defend command can be used to have party members shield others and receive damage for them. Is that common in JRPGs?

28 minutes ago, Benice said:

Because I am a kind person who wants others to experience his favorite RPG.

20 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Good.

I want this chaos.

Most excellent.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

cheap void damage on one enemy. Until I tried it out and it dealt like 100 damage. Wow. I'm actually gonna keep this one.

''Shrimpy always right!''

I guess it's because they're steeling themselves for the Yakuza shilling

3a7.jpg.7ea2e8755975bdcdaec67a83d782360e.jpg

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

I know I just finished SC, but it’s Skyward Sword time.

Yay! Hope you enjoy!

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

''Shrimpy always right!''

I wish it had been you with the overpowered AoE instead of Armagon. Anyone but Armagon... Now my only hope is that he won't read the post, and thus won't get to be smug.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

3a7.jpg.7ea2e8755975bdcdaec67a83d782360e.jpg

I'm very sorry.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:
Gkbzoqam o

Okay this is already hilarious. Shit costs 20 mana and "cannot fail". It has to be good.

It will hit the fan lmao.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

I hesitate to call it my favorite because of the final boss,

Well it depends on how much it would bring the game down for you.

I mean, Xenoblade 2 has some pretty big flaws here and there but look, it's my favorite game of all time.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Definitely break.

Play Metroid if you're looking for something nice and short.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

wanna see a real oof?

pPz0z1j.png

I consider it one of the worst games i ever played, yet i kept hoping ''it's Trails it gonna get good, right?''

Sunk cost fallacy combined with favorite franchise bias is a dangerous drug.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh.

The company making the LEGO games has just filed for bankruptcy.

Well, shit. Looks like the reason for Skywalker Saga's many delays has finally surfaced... That's not looking good.

Yeah that definitely explains a lot.

I even forgot about the game until you brought it up.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

Evil glasses guy is a trope

Yes.

Armagon: Cheap AoE water damage. Except it dealt 200 damage to all enemies and instantly killed them. They were fire enemies, so I want to believe some elemental shenanigans were at play, and not Armagon being overpowered... But then I tried it out against other enemies and it dealt over 100, same as Shrimpy. Soooo yeah. Armagon is overpowered. Fucking great. Even here I lose...

tenor_8.gif

What effects does "Godzilla" have? I want you to test that out.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Incidentally, I discovered while trying out the spells that the regular defend command can be used to have party members shield others and receive damage for them. Is that common in JRPGs?

It depends on the game really.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

m very sorry.

I jest, I jest.

Plus, it means that my Yakuza shilling is very helpful, and I will protect everyone here if I tell them to play Yakuza!

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

tenor_8.gif

Crap...

Well, my spell has my name fly across the screen and damage the enemies, so I win.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

What effects does "Godzilla" have? I want you to test that out

Too late. I'll do it tomorrow.

Just now, Benice said:

I jest, I jest.

Plus, it means that my Yakuza shilling is very helpful, and I will protect everyone here if I tell them to play Yakuza!

By the power of Yakuzaposting, you will protect us all.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

By the power of Yakuzaposting, you will protect us all.

Speaking of, after forgetting to buy any healing items for the first long battle, I decided that my run of Yakuza 4 HM will also be a no healing items run!

...The only problem is that I've died to some generic street thugs over 20 times because I have 1 HP and can't make it to a restaurant without fighting them...

6 minutes ago, Benice said:

Speaking of, after forgetting to buy any healing items for the first long battle, I decided that my run of Yakuza 4 HM will also be a no healing items run!

Good luck, and please have fun!

6 minutes ago, Benice said:

...The only problem is that I've died to some generic street thugs over 20 times because I have 1 HP and can't make it to a restaurant without fighting them...

qqauvnc3_o.png

So @Benice, how do I 100% this game? There are heart pieces, of course, so I know to look out for those. Don’t you collect orange crystals for some kind of bat guy as well? When can I start doing that? And you can upgrade your equipment, right? Is that permanent?

I can’t miss any collectibles here at the beginning, can I?

16 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Twilit: Middling lightning damage to all enemies.

Not too shocking

I am very much average guy

16 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Similar to Acacia, just way cheaper.

797667210315169822.png?v=1

:think:

Ruben, you never said if my spell was any good! Well, you explained what it does, but I don’t know if it’s good because I know nothing about the game.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Good luck, and please have fun!

I will!

Akiyama, on the other hand...He's got no chance of having fun.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Don’t you collect orange crystals for some kind of bat guy as well? When can I start doing that?

IIRC that quest starts after the Skyview Temple. You'll know it's become available after people start looking for..I think their name is Kukiel. There are some crystals you have to find lying around, but IIRC they're only on Skyloft, so it's not too unbearable.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I can’t miss any collectibles here at the beginning, can I?

I don't believe so!

Speaking of collectibles, the bat guy will give you a chest at some point that he tells you not to open.

...Don't open it. I mean, you can, but...

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

And you can upgrade your equipment, right? Is that permanent?

It is permanent! You'll want to be careful to look around on the Silent Realms, though, since they give you items needed for upgrading a lot of things.

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

So @Benice, how do I 100% this game?

Well, aside from all the quests and whatnot, you have to destroy public property at the Lumpy Pumpkin, get all of the Goddess Cubes from the surface, find a couple of Gratitude Crystals on Skyloft, go to the 8th round of Boss Rush, then finish it...

I never actually did 100% the game, actually... I think I got pretty close, but I never did get all of the Cubes.