• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

29 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

From what it sounds like, there aren't alot of solutions that lead to completion. In a game revolving around choices and options, this is what i would consider poor game design?

Creativity should be what allows you to succeed, not crutch options that you NEED to rely on like Palla being broken af.

But most FE early games are like that, you don’t have that many units to work with. Especially maps where characters join in the middle of it away from your army, the map is usually designed around them handling whatever part of the map they’re at. Except for Palla it’s literally one kill on a thief, and that’s all you can do with her at the start because she’ll die immediately if you use her for anything else. There’s not much design there to be bad if it’s literally one kill.

47 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yeah but that’s what makes it better than Reunion at Dawn. Because there hasn’t been that much of the game yet, there’s not much room for variation in your units, meaning there are general strategies that will usually work, while in Reunion at Dawn if you haven’t used the right units you just get softlocked.

Even if you do use them, put them in the wrong classes and/or have bad luck with the levels and you're fucked.

47 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Wow I’m really out here defending DSFE over Three Houses… And I haven’t even liked this one that much!

To be fair, Reunion at Dawn is so shit that even fans of Three Houses realize it's indefensible. Most agree it's bad, with a few handwaving it as not that bad in hard. Real defenders of Reunion at Dawn are rare, and the very few I've seen all resorted to an extremely dumb argument that went something along the lines of "hurr durr if you didn't train your starting class you deserve to lose because you failed your students as their teacher."

I mean, if we're going to argue that logic, I'd say forcing the likes of Bernadetta or Marianne to risk their necks in combat and commit bloody murder is a greater failure, but that's just me.

20 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

Tfw my brother got a hidden star on his first turn

Oh yeah, that happened to a bot one of the last times I played MP with my friend.

It was the one match that he won, funnily enough. For such a pitiful start, it sure picked up later.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

To be fair, Reunion at Dawn is so shit that even fans of Three Houses realize it's indefensible. Most agree it's bad, with a few handwaving it as not that bad in hard. Real defenders of Reunion at Dawn are rare, and the very few I've seen all resorted to an extremely dumb argument that went something along the lines of "hurr durr if you didn't train your starting class you deserve to lose because you failed your students as their teacher."

The only difficulty Reunion at Dawn is not atrocious on is normal mode since your units are auto leveled if they’re below a certain point, and there aren’t 50 billion enemies, which should make up for them all being noble/commoner. In theory, at least, I don’t know of anyone that’s tried Reunion at Dawn with all autoleveled students, but at least they sort of put in effort.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, if we're going to argue that logic, I'd say forcing the likes of Bernadetta or Marianne to risk their necks in combat and commit bloody murder is a greater failure, but that's just me.

But Ruben, it’s Rhea forcing Byleth to make them do that, and we all know Rhea bad because she kills people. She’s nothing like her super innocent and righteous students, like Edelgard!

22 minutes ago, Sooks said:

But most FE early games are like that, you don’t have that many units to work with. Especially maps where characters join in the middle of it away from your army, the map is usually designed around them handling whatever part of the map they’re at. Except for Palla it’s literally one kill on a thief, and that’s all you can do with her at the start because she’ll die immediately if you use her for anything else. There’s not much design there to be bad if it’s literally one kill.

That also extends to the rest of the game, she doesnt just break one chapter. She is a "broken" unit for a reason. I wouldnt say most FE games revolve winning around someone you just recruited, no.

33 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

I am facing him 😛 

Well, he just got chance time'd and lost 2 stars kek

Ouch... Karma.

9 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

That also extends to the rest of the game, she doesnt just break one chapter. She is a "broken" unit for a reason. I wouldnt say most FE games revolve winning around someone you just recruited, no.

Palla isn’t your only broken unit though, you also get Kris, Sirius, Caeda, etc. hence options. People have also managed to use units that suck on the higher difficulties, so you don’t even have to use broken units. The reason this chapter relies on Palla dealing with the thief is because the rest of your army is deployed on the opposite side of the map with a bunch of water in the way and she joins right next to the thief, not because she’s broken.

Unless you’re just trying to say broken units in general are bad design in which case… yeah, fair.

15 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

She is a "broken" unit for a reason. I wouldnt say most FE games revolve winning around someone you just recruited, no.

I never really got why Palla is so hyped. Maybe I just have a curse, but Palla always gets bad level ups for me. Sure, her bases stats carry far, but it feels pretty balanced and not broken tier when she tends to die in two hits, or 3 with enough defense levels. Heck, I've done more New Mystery runs without her than with her. 

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

nless you’re just trying to say broken units in general are bad design in which case… yeah, fair.

Is it bad that I have an strong hatred for Seth?

2 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

And the other units have to walk like 10 hours or so.

And then the Wyverns that not even Steel bows can kill Ü

Well yeah, this chapter really sucks, but I dont see tanky wyverns as an awful thing. You can always forge bows, and dealing most of their health makes it easy to feed kills, giving you the freedom of giving all to chads like Cord or Warren. You always have reclass options, Aura tome, Arran's silver lance, and a Kris, so you have a lot of resources to beat them.

8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Palla isn’t your only broken unit though, you also get Kris, Sirius, Caeda, etc. hence options. People have also managed to use units that suck on the higher difficulties

Basically my thoughts. Suprised to hear you defend this game right after going through one of the worst chapters. 

4 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

but I dont see tanky wyverns as an awful thing

so early in the game it absolutely is. Especially when your units are weak af. Tanky units in general shouldn'T be that common, and this game starts right out filled with them

Edited by Father Shrimpas

When not even Steel bows can one shot fliers early game then there's seriously something wrong with the game. Iron bows should generally be enough to do so until midgame. Otherwise why should i even bother with Archers

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Jesus. What part would you even quote?

Well, I look forwards to using it on annoying bosses in FE6.

'Morning!

Edited by Benice

While waiting for a blizzard to summon Deerclops again, I decided to get started on my home's protection against the crimson spread once hardmode starts.

And by "get started" I mean "complete." I had time to dig a hole going all the way from one side to the other of the ground below my home, and then reinforce it with mudstone brick walls. No rains, no nothing. Must be drought season or something.

Oh, and I found that, in a funny twist of fate, I put my inverted pyramid right above a naturally-generated underground pyramid. I just narrowly missed it when I built my Hole to Hell. Hah!

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

The only difficulty Reunion at Dawn is not atrocious on is normal mode since your units are auto leveled if they’re below a certain point, and there aren’t 50 billion enemies, which should make up for them all being noble/commoner. In theory, at least, I don’t know of anyone that’s tried Reunion at Dawn with all autoleveled students, but at least they sort of put in effort.

...Why couldn't they do that in all the difficulties!?

But Ruben, it’s Rhea forcing Byleth to make them do that, and we all know Rhea bad because she kills people. She’s nothing like her super innocent and righteous students, like Edelgard!

All I know is Rhea and Edelgard both bad - Hanneman good. Let's all join the Monocle faction.

41 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

I never really got why Palla is so hyped. Maybe I just have a curse, but Palla always gets bad level ups for me. Sure, her bases stats carry far, but it feels pretty balanced and not broken tier when she tends to die in two hits, or 3 with enough defense levels. Heck, I've done more New Mystery runs without her than with her. 

I tend to use her for a while and then she's dropped for characters I like more.

Is it bad that I have an strong hatred for Seth?

Completely normal. I've already used this description before, but I believe it's apt: Seth is a wooden plank with outrageous stats nailed on it. There's very little to like about him. At least Titania is a badass character.

Well yeah, this chapter really sucks, but I dont see tanky wyverns as an awful thing. You can always forge bows, and dealing most of their health makes it easy to feed kills, giving you the freedom of giving all to chads like Cord or Warren. You always have reclass options, Aura tome, Arran's silver lance, and a Kris, so you have a lot of resources to beat them.

Yes, there's plenty of options. The real problem with the map isn't the wyverns, it's the dumb walking simulator for a thousand turns that the game forces you through if you want to recruit the Man himself.

Basically my thoughts. Suprised to hear you defend this game right after going through one of the worst chapters. 

So am I. Hope the trend continues and he ends up liking the game better in maniac.

21 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

See, his mistake was forgetting to deploy Haitaka. You don't try to teach Hoshidans a lesson without the master.

11 minutes ago, Benice said:

Well, I look forwards to using it on annoying bosses in FE6.

Henning and Legance deserve every single word.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

.Why couldn't they do that in all the difficulties!?

The auto leveling? It happens in all difficulties.

But afaik it depends on Unit. Some units level better than others or something

2 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

There's some autolevelling on hard/Maddening, but only Normal levels level 1 units to 20.

I'd say why not have both be built in, but alas.

4 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

except me

I'm not a weeb

You say that while posting peko ok

Surprised Peko is one of us tho

A welcome surprise tho

43 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

But afaik it depends on Unit. Some units level better than others or something

Well, good to know for all those future runs of Three Houses I intend to do.

33 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

I say Reunion at Dawn should be removed tbh. Never enjoyed that map

Legit would've made the game jump up a couple spots in the ranking. I was enjoying Maddening a bit until the game went "oh you're playing like you want instead of like WE want? Fuck you then! Your run is over!"

19 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

FE fans are weebs, after all

Oh hey, it's doggo girl. Haven't watched a video or clip of hers since she got spooked by soap.

19 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

except me

I'm not a weeb

Yes you are. I am the only one who isn't a weeb here.