• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

5 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

I'd rather be called an FE6 fan

Come now Shrimp-kun, there’s no reason to be coy. The heart wants what the heart wants and nobody will judge you for that.

Edited by WraithReborn

14 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

Wut? I don't remember moments like this in other Kaga games

Oh yeah, TRS is like the worst with it but Kaga definitely stopped hiding his fetish beginning with FE4.

8 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

I-

I still haven't met her yet. I've been grinding the farm.

7 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Anyone can tell the game isnt balanced, and i can prove it with data and facts, not opinions. 

Imma be honest Cosmo, i don't think there's a single RPG out there that is honset-to-God balanced. They all have their super dumb shit because of the nature of numbers, some more than others. And this goes both ways, games can be unbalanced towards the player rather than for them.

5 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

If it was my decision, there would be 100 different difficulty modes and a mode to tailor the difficulty for yourself.

Ok but every game should have this. Xenoblade 2 did it, CrossCode did it, Celeste did it.....that's like the only three games i can think of that did it.

5 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Xenoblade 2 is the only game that does that. More games should try it

yoda-there-is.gif

5 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

For example: any Trails game this applies to: Speed is broken beyond repair.

For Trails? Bro speed is broken in any game. Like any game. Literally pick a game, speed is very important.

20 minutes ago, WraithReborn said:

Come now Shrimp-kun, there’s no reason to be coy. The heart wants what the heart wants and nobody will judge you for that.

That's it, you are going to be Teehee's son

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

some more than others.

Yeah, and when it's too much it's a problem

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

For Trails? Bro speed is broken in any game. Like any game. Literally pick a game, speed is very important.

Even in action games. More speed = more fun

23 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Oh yeah, TRS is like the worst with it but Kaga definitely stopped hiding his fetish beginning with FE4.

C'mon, FE4 is a tame game

23 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ok but every game should have this. Xenoblade 2 did it, CrossCode did it, Celeste did it.....that's like the only three games i can think of that did it.

CrossCode did it? I don't remember something like this in the demo...

14 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

That's it, you are going to be Teehee's son.

…As I have previously itemized in painful detail I will never lower myself to such blasphemy. Sadly I fear the Teehee may already have you Shrimp-kun.

Everyone please do yourselves a favor and listen to this

Even Masked Dedede in Triple Deluxe didn't go this hard and everybody agreed back then that was the best rendition of his theme. Key word: was. Because Roar of Dedede has taken the crown and i think the best part about it is that it starts out as it's own thing before transitioning into the familiar beats of King Dedede's theme. Best part too is that it's slower, whereas past renditions were fast, and it's that slower beat that's part of the reason why this goes so hard.

22 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Even in action games. More speed = more fun

One of the main reasons why Metroid Dread is so based.

14 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

CrossCode did it? I don't remember something like this in the demo...

That would be why.

Granted, CrossCode and Celeste's custom difficulty are not as expansive as Xenoblade 2's, but i still can't think of any other games.

It is great, but still only my second most favorite Dedede theme because this exists:

Dededestroyer Z - Kirby Battle Royale Soundtrack - YouTube

Also his fight in postgame was the hardest Dedede fight for me in the entire series.

Northeast Frost Street - Kirby and the Forgotten Land OST [045] - YouTube

my favorite stage in the whole Kirby series

Edited by Julizan

7 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

She's like, the Catria of Awakening. That's her schtick

Ah yes, because I loved Catria so much the first number of times.

7 hours ago, Sooks said:

I DID ITTTTTTTTTTT!!!!

FREDERICA GOOD

JULIO GOOD

GEELA GOOD

BENEDICT GOOD

MEDINA GOOD

ROLAND GOOD

ERADOR GOOD

HUGHETTE GOOD

I AM GOOD. GREAT. THE BEST TACTICIAN TO EVER EXIST!

I!

DID!

IT!

…wow. It is a testament to how good the game is that, when I sat down to list the characters who were absolutely vital to my strategy, I listed almost the entire team (sorry Serenoa and Anna, an offense unit without much range was not too useful here). Frederica was the MVP damage dealer, of course. Without her, I would have never been able to damage Avlora let alone win, she is definitely my best damage dealer. But I would not have been able to defeat the boss if Julio hadn’t made it so Frederica could use spells almost every turn, and I wouldn’t have won if Roland and Erador weren’t there to choke points, if Hughette wasn’t there to snipe the squishy but high damage dealing mages before  they wrecked me, if Medina and Geela weren’t there to be on healing duty 24/7, and no one would have lasted as long as they did or killed the enemies they had to in time without Benedict’s and Medina’s buffs. I had to use pretty much every resource at my disposal and only barely came out on top, and I did this because I was invested enough in the story to severely gimp myself in the battle so as not to harm the village.

Yeah, Triangle Strategy is good. Would recommend. They definitely made that battle harder than in the demo, and I’m glad.

Haha, yeah I can relate. I felt something similar to this a few times myself.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Tried to get back into Berwick Saga after several days' hiatus (during which I listened much too much to a certain game's ost). I was so obsessed with the visible first wave that I severely underestimated the mostly invisible urban guerrillas. I probably reloaded... 20 times, and still made no progress. (At least Berwick Saga isn't Runbow.) Unless I play it really safe (I've got like 3 or 4 turns until no-priest & no-vulneraries Vester breaks down his gate and I have to start worrying about him), I'll lose someone sometime within 4 enemy actions on turn 6. The Battle Cry soldier, protected on both possible approaches with an Overwatch Brave Crossbowman (one of whom will leave the houses and team up with the BC soldier to kill if given the chance), the ballistae, the shield & horse-killing axeman, the Sleep Arrow archer, Alvina or whoever curated this army has an eye for detail. Even if I had brought Larentia or Czene, the enemy quality is sufficient that merely being able to preempt the enemies wouldn't make them easily overcame opponents.

This said, it is demoralizing. In itself it wouldn't be that bad, but when mandatory Chapters 7 and 9 also had me reloading like a maniac and the start of 10 was hell enough, the cumulative effect is wearing at me. I don't want to pause the game for a longer duration or stop here altogether, I've been very much enjoying it, and I'm well aware of my "~70% completed & leaves game to linger unfinished" tendency. I've only *counts* 10 battles left.

Oof.

Yeaah... This map's a toughie.

But... I rather want to swap to another PS2 title for my lone actively-played emulation game.

To jump from an SRPG with: a down-to-earth medieval story, simple & crisp animations, somewhat experimental gameplay, and shoddy hit rates; to an SRPG with a fantastical sci-fi tale, flashy as flashy gets attacks, tried & true traditional gameplay, and hit rates I can lock in at 100% in a matter of moments. Not to say one is good and one is bad. To me, it's more the sun and the moon, fire and water, sky and earth; very different, and yet both are beautiful. Honestly, no offense to Berwick -as I said I do truly enjoy it- but as is, it feels like an obstacle keeping me from its polar opposite. Maybe starting it up will make me less wanting to rush through BS, and thus make it less irritable if I return to it later.

Nah yeah, I get it. You do as you wish. Ii won't cry.

Although I didn't comment on it earlier, I was 😬 when the arrow-seller girl had been accosted by bandits and her father and Tianna assumed that. Might as well have named the girl Thief Staff (that was her name right?).

Yes, that is the appropriate reaction. I guess Kaga thought the joke was so funny the first time, he just HAD to do it again.

And then I you have me, who has typed "Ranulf screw me!" on these forums before. And wouldn't mind running my hands through Skrimir's long red locks, despite me not usually going for that hunk-bear hybrid physique he has. 

Hah! Well, it's all right.

Not a game you'd care for- Xenoblade Chronicles X. Though it's not love of Xenoblade in general that draws me to him. I'm probably his biggest fan out there, and a weirdo for it.

First, let me make it clear that XCX is less... vibrant compared to its successor game. The 18 non-MC playable characters are fairly normal-looking and ordinarily dressed, all of which barring Lin are at least 18 and look the part. A bunch are tropey, but not always in the most outlandish ways possible.

Phog is pretty normal, with a fairly low-key personality. It's enough that he could readily be forgotten by most people, not very likely at all to place highly on a popularity contest, he's a total side character. Phog could slide into a non-"anime" story without coming off as out of place, as he doesn't feel "anime" in the oft-derogatory sense in any way. Could be outright insulted as "boring".

With Phog, I guess I could see "autism-coding" the way queer people have seen queer-coding in stories that are on their surface straight or nonsexual.:

• Phog is quirky, but not in the way XCX's Alexa is. She with her "I can't wait to strap into this baby!" obsession with giant robots is very "anime". Phog isn't that way at all. When he is absent-minded, it isn't because he forgot to eat in the past three days because he was too busy reading books and fainted as a result. Phog simply forgot, that's all.
  • When Phog focuses in on something, he doesn't get "OMG! ISN'T THIS GREAT?" bombastic about it when others approach him, he instead is in his own little world and keeps his calm demeanor. If anything, he tends to be a little quiet, without being shy, for that is how lost in his mind he can be.
  • However, Phog is not merely a nerd with a little social awkwardness. He can be a little insightful once in a while, but nowhere near being a super genius- see Lin in the same game for an unrealistic super genius. I can tell that Phog isn't "normal", there is something more to him than being a little nerdy. Would an ordinary nerd -who is very kind and shows no signs of wanting to make trouble for anyone- press the shiny red fire alarm button in school "because it was there"?

This all culminated in one of Phog's bonding events (none of which in XCX are romantic), where he is standing by a hot dog vendor struggling to order one. To be precise, these lines:

"I have a lot of...anxiety issues around strangers, and my brother says I have to get comfortable doing things like talking to shopkeepers and ordering food."

"What are you gonna do when you're 30 or 40 years old?" he says. "What if you still can't do this crap by yourself?"

THIS. IS. ME. By this point I'm okay at placing my order at restaurants, though it took a few tries to get used to it, but NGL, buying stuff in person is still awkward for me, not that I practice frequently enough. This can't possibly be the behavior of one those extreme shut-in hikikomoris Japan has, Phog shows absolutely no signs of being one. 

This conversation sealed the deal. Phog has high-functioning autism. He can function in ordinary society, but with a few difficulties a normal person might not be able to imagine having. Phog and I aren't the same in every way, and yet, he resembles my Asperger's syndrome self so closely that I have to abandon any reservations I usually having about diagnosing people -real or fictional- with a psychological or neurological condition, and call him what he is. And I say it with a smile on my face.🙂 Because, amid video games with so many wacky personalities that are simply out of this world, it's nice to have one oddball who is certainly different, but in a way I know to be very very real. I'd hug Phog if I could -if he wouldn't mind a hug, not sure if he'd be okay with that.

That certainly does sound like a pretty great character. And out of big silly anime Xenoblade, no less. Interesting.

Stupid phone serenes.

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

Believe it or not, I’m actually even better than “and sometimes, I even win the battles!”

Yes, sometimes you get frogs killed. Not even I can manage that!

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

Meanwhile Ruben

Hah! True.

1 hour ago, Shrimpolaris said:

I'd rather be called an FE6 fan

etWno2K5_o.png

1 hour ago, Julizan said:

Have I just seen Soledai posting here?

Happy Late Birthday!

Also I kinda rised up from Abyss too.

Hello there!

10 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Pirate Eirika.

That would've made Stones a much more interesting game.

3 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

Are you talking about Kamille?

N-no, I was referring to the character in the picture I was posting. I don't know who he is, but he is beautiful.

And like 90% of Zeta's cast, who end the series either dead or broken physically and mentally, so does he, so that's a plus.

Oof...

But that's not much, is it?

That's actually my biggest issue about it. I'm interested in the game and the franchise, but I'm afraid to play the games out of order and ruin the experience.

I wouldn't worry about it too much- Yakuza 5's plot is an absolute meme and a half*, and while I haven't yet watched all of TSoL, I don't think the thing spoiled in LAD needs to be a twist to be good.

*I can elaborate on this if you want, because I know you're a lot more respectful of art than I am.

How does it stack up to Kabukicho?

I like it more, tbh. Not only is it so much bigger, but it's also much more visually varied-Kamurocho is just kinda a big, seedy city, whereas Ijincho has tons of settings and backdrops to use.

As a small downside, it is a tad less dense than Kamurocho. It doesn't feel unecessarily large IMO, but it is worth noting.

Who? I don't mind spoilers.

Spoiler

Nonomiya. He's a Johnny who's sleazy, greedy and has terrible morals...And then the game just decides that he's a good guy? Wot? I can swallow Ichi warming up to him given Ichi's background, but the game's narrative as a whole just decides "Nah, he's a genuinely good person".

That's just my take on 'im, though. I'm pretty bad at literary analysis, maybe his character is too subtle for my foolish eyes.

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

I need to participate in at least one WYBO, but dunno what to write about.

I've finally got an idea for this month's prompt! I don't know if it's a good one, though...

The eternal battle between Empiricism vs Rationalism. Spot on.

Yes, I know these words! For sure!

1 minute ago, Benice said:

That's just my take on 'im, though. I'm pretty bad at literary analysis, maybe his character is too subtle for my foolish eyes.

[/S]To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Nonomiya. [/s]

On 4/2/2022 at 4:21 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

All right, here we go, boys. It took more effort than it should've. First, I finally discovered the cause of the weird overlay glitch - it was the emulator filter. To compensate for the ugly pixels, I obtained HD assets from the internet with which to mod the game. Then I realized the cheat code to fix ghosting was not working. I had to get my uncle at Nintendo to send me an American copy of the game. Then I lost some more time trying to get the Gangrel and co. unlocking files to work with the other mods. Unsuccessfully. Ended up giving up on that. They join too late anyway.

But at last, it is time.

https://images2.imgbox.com/d1/64/okIJzS2V_o.png

I have installed @windypanda1's rebalance mod in an attempt to keep the game from being the worst Fire Emblem. I was eyeing this mod too, but they're not compatible. Lastly, I installed a mod that makes units say funny lines when selected.

The goals for this run are as follows:

1. Survive. This is accomplished by not quitting and subsequently ranting about the quality of the game.

2. Get to know the cast, as opposed to letting literally all of them get murdered horribly.

3. Not give up on the story entirely after Gangrel takes his leave.

If I accomplish these tasks, Awakening will officially be better than Radiant Dawn.

https://images2.imgbox.com/d9/d9/eR8Wj3qn_o.png

Robin, if anyone's curious. He follows a theme.

But... I've been to multiple English classes and I like Fates's story!

You? I fully expect you'd love it.

Hey thanks for playing my mod. Hope you have a good time. Let me know if you have any feedback.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

[/S]To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Nonomiya. [/s]

OI you stay out of my spoilers young man, one day I might talk about one of the good parts of LAD!

1 minute ago, windypanda1 said:

Hey thanks for playing my mod. Hope you have a good time. Let me know if you have any feedback.

You're welcome! It's pretty good so far, but I'm only a few maps in. If I have anything to comment, I'll be sure to let you know.

Just now, Benice said:

OI you stay out of my spoilers young man, one day I might talk about one of the good parts of LAD!

I just realized I failed horribly at striking the text through. Oof.

Anyway, I feel like I've seen everything important in Yakuza since the time I taught a dominatrix to dom more effectively.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Anyway, I feel like I've seen everything important in Yakuza since the time I taught a dominatrix to dom more effectively.

Does this mean that you spoiled yourself, or that nothing's more important than the How to Train your Dominatrix substory?

Don't worry, LAD has a Dominatrix substory as well! And it's actually kinda wholesome, in a degenerate way.

Just now, Benice said:

Does this mean that you spoiled yourself, or that nothing's more important than the How to Train your Dominatrix substory?

Nothing, I repeat, nothing is as important as the How to Train your Dominatrix substory. I rate it B controls, C music, S overall. I would play it on my Silicon Graphics Computer.

Just now, Benice said:

Don't worry, LAD has a Dominatrix substory as well! And it's actually kinda wholesome, in a degenerate way.

I mean, so was the first lol

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Nothing, I repeat, nothing is as important as the How to Train your Dominatrix substory. I rate it B controls, C music, S overall. I would play it on my Silicon Graphics Computer.

And remember, if you don't play this game, you're NOT a real gamer.

...Also, that made me think of this gem of a line from George:

"No amount of urine can make this game buyable"-George Wood.

And remember, if you don't play this game, you're NOT a real gamer.

Damn right.

...I played it with a keyboard, though. So I am a real gamer, but not a real yakuza.

...Also, that made me think of this gem of a line from George:

"No amount of urine can make this game buyable"-George Wood.

I think I'm more of a fan of how his voice completely breaks when he says the word piss.

Gaming In The Clinton Years is too brilliant.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

Everyone please do yourselves a favor and listen to this

This… is from Kirby? The cute little pink guy?

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Haha, yeah I can relate. I felt something similar to this a few times myself.

A few times? Does the game keep up this difficulty?

Yes, sometimes you get frogs killed. Not even I can manage that!

Right, you only get entire armies killed. Sometimes, even the enemy’s!

3 hours ago, Benice said:

I chuckled.

I've finally got an idea for this month's prompt! I don't know if it's a good one, though...

Is it for the gray area between good and evil prompt? Asking for a friend.

Edited by Sooks