Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Searching for a new pfp showed me that there's no decent art of Arnice in her Nights of Azure 2 appearance and that is majorly disappointing, because she looks frickin' awesome.
She always looks great, but that's beside the point.

Anyway, I played some more Nights of Azure 2 after waking up from a nap that was longer than I planned to.
And... yeah. That's kind of it, really. Not much else happened.

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Fairly good, sounds out of place for a turn-based strategy game. This isn't the music I'd think I'd be listening to as I shout to myself "how'd you miss the shot Sniper?!".

You reminded me that Valkyria Chronicles 2&3 are PSP games, meaning I can emulate them. However, given what I've read of them, I question whether I should or not.

To offer up one of ToM's compositions, which overall aren't bad.:

And here's the original rendition, which I didn't listen to prior to this b/c I've kept the soundtrack on the modern remixes option.:

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Fairly good, sounds out of place for a turn-based strategy game. This isn't the music I'd think I'd be listening to as I shout to myself "how'd you miss the shot Sniper?!".

This track is used when OP ability is used, so not really out of place tbh

Also yeah VC2&3 aren't any good. VC2 is school stuff, and while VC3 has good Story & Characters, the map design is really bad and super repititive (applies to VC2 as well)

gjJk7kd.jpg

Well, I probably wouldn't be able to do that if I was dead for almost 70 million years, either.
And yes, this Pteranodon skeleton (with teeth, because rule of cool applies) is also a Servan. Not a very effective one, if memory serves (I barely used him), but as one who used to be quite the dinosaur enthusiast as a kid (thanks Walking With Dinosaurs), this is one of the Servans I like the most, design-wise.

I was watching clips of Super Mario 3D Land and I gotta say, I think I might have to rework my 3D Mario tier list. Because while 3D Land is fun, I feel like it has the least personality out of any 3D Mario. It's most appearent in it's level select of all things. 3D Land's level select is so fucking bland, it all basically just amounts to a colored background and it was all a straight line with no diverging paths whatsoever.

250px-World_2_-_3D_Land.png

Of course, the game is still pretty good (because mainline Mario is the safest video game franchise in existence), I just didn't realize there was such a lack of personality in this game, especially when you compare it to every 3D Mario that came before and after (including it's successor, 3D World).

26 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

gjJk7kd.jpg

Well, I probably wouldn't be able to do that if I was dead for almost 70 million years, either.
And yes, this Pteranodon skeleton (with teeth, because rule of cool applies) is also a Servan. Not a very effective one, if memory serves (I barely used him), but as one who used to be quite the dinosaur enthusiast as a kid (thanks Walking With Dinosaurs), this is one of the Servans I like the most, design-wise.

What's hilarious is that Nights of Azure's world isn't even "modern" from our perspective.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

because mainline Mario is the safest video game franchise in existence

You sure that isn't Pokemon? Yes, modern 2D Mario has played it safe, but 3D is different. Galaxy departed from 64 and Sunshine, although Sunshine itself had departed from 64 to a lesser extent, and then Odyssey winds up being almost like 64. 3D Land and World exist because the Wii U was cursed so no new true 3D Mario belonged there are odd how to consider them, but thats partly because they aren't so close to Galaxy or its predecessors.

Just now, Armagon said:

What's hilarious is that Nights of Azure's world isn't even "modern" from our perspective.

That's true.
The games take place sometime during the 19th century. The first one most likely sometime after 1863, because they have a subway on Ruswal Island, and most likely even after 1876, because they also have working telephones.
This is relevant, because the games are confirmed to take place in a version of our world, as seen here:
6zCoFz7.jpg

And the sequel can't be too far into the future, because Lilysse, a regular human, is still alive (but it is said in NoA2 that it happens "decades" after the ending of NoA1, it just never says how many).

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Feel like the electricity!

Amazing every time!

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You sure that isn't Pokemon?

Definitely not. Pokemon does sell a lot, yes, but it's gotten way more criticism thrown at it. Look at the initial reception towards Gen 5 or pretty much everything with Gen 8. Not to mention that everyone always has that one Gen (or more) that they like to shit on.

Meanwhile, even when mainline Mario fundamentally changes, reception is always positive and while I don't mean to speak for everyone, I feel that most people who didn't like a mainline Mario game usually has to do with preference as opposed to actively disliking the game. Even the worst mainline Marios are still considered pretty good. Mainline Mario doesn't really do anything that can be considered a dealbreaker. 3D All-Stars is literally just a collection of HD ports and it's already the second best selling game of 2020 according to Amazon, limited time offer or no.

11 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

And the sequel can't be too far into the future, because Lilysse, a regular human, is still alive (but it is said in NoA2 that it happens "decades" after the ending of NoA1, it just never says how many).

Unless this Lilysse is immortal, I think it'd be about two decades after NoA1 at most.

13 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Im one of those that enjoys the 2D Mario games much more!

Just saying!

Nothing wrong with that.

I never got into Metroid Prime, though I've owned the first game because I was a child at the time. The furthest I've ever gone is just after Flagraa (the giant plant boss) into Phendrana Drifts, 2D Metroid is more my speed (but I never speedrun). And on the Zelda front, I think I prefer 2D/handheld-originated games over 3D, though I've played both. For Mario, of old 2D, I've only beaten World and of new, the only game I've beaten is NSMB2, but I don't dislike it, I like both 2D and 3D Mario. 3D is just easier to finish.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Definitely not. Pokemon does sell a lot, yes, but it's gotten way more criticism thrown at it. Look at the initial reception towards Gen 5 or pretty much everything with Gen 8. Not to mention that everyone always has that one Gen (or more) that they like to shit on.

Meanwhile, even when mainline Mario fundamentally changes, reception is always positive and while I don't mean to speak for everyone, I feel that most people who didn't like a mainline Mario game usually has to do with preference as opposed to actively disliking the game. Even the worst mainline Marios are still considered pretty good. Mainline Mario doesn't really do anything that can be considered a dealbreaker. 3D All-Stars is literally just a collection of HD ports and it's already the second best selling game of 2020 according to Amazon, limited time offer or no.

By "safe" I thought you meant in terms of gameplay formula, not reception. A misunderstanding?

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Nothing wrong with that.

I never got into Metroid Prime, though I've owned the first game because I was a child at the time. The furthest I've ever gone is just after Flagraa (the giant plant boss) into Phendrana Drifts, 2D Metroid is more my speed (but I never speedrun). And on the Zelda front, I think I prefer 2D/handheld-originated games over 3D, though I've played both. For Mario, of old 2D, I've only beaten World and of new, the only game I've beaten is NSMB2, but I don't dislike it, I like both 2D and 3D Mario. 3D is just easier to finish.

Yep!

Super Mario World is my top, with 3 being right behind it.

Metroid? Only two I like are the GBA and prime.

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Unless this Lilysse is immortal, I think it'd be about two decades after NoA1 at most.

She definitely isn't, since she's human (Arnice, a half-demon, definitely is, though, since even in NoA1 she's already over 800 years old), so I think it's at least that, if not more.
Though that leaves us with the question of how Lilysse is in NoA1. Since her and Arnice are confirmed to have graduated from school, have gone on missions for the organization they worked for together, and haven't seen each other in two years before NoA1, I would assume that Lilysse is at least in her early twenties at the start of NoA1.
The tricky part is that we never get to see Lilysse in NoA2, so considering the upper life expectancy of a human in 19th century Europe, I'd say the amount of decades between NoA1 and NoA2 is anywhere from two to five or six.

It's really fun theorycrafting like this!

Also, funnily enough, NoA2 dropped any real world references. It's never even said where Eurulm (the main area the game takes place in) is, whereas Ruswal was given as "a small island in the North Sea that is not on any map" in the first game.

Edited by DragonFlames

On 9/7/2020 at 6:44 AM, Shrimperor said:

Honestly, i didn't even notice the
D
E
D

on the characters pannel until someone pointed it to me lol

Aw, I got DED again, this game stinks!

Edited by Shadow Mir

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

By "safe" I thought you meant in terms of gameplay formula, not reception. A misunderstanding?

Honestly, kinda a mix of both. Mainline Mario has always been received so well because even when it's gameplay fundamentally changes, it's never really a bad thing. Sure, you can criticize how NSMB is pretty samey or how Odyssey has too many Moons but at the end of the day, i feel like any issues mainline Mario has can be summed up with "not a big deal in the long run" and whether or not you liked the games rests purely on preference.

6 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

The tricky part is that we never get to see Lilysse in NoA2, so considering the upper life expectancy of a human in 19th century Europe, I'd say the amount of decades between NoA1 and NoA2 is anywhere from two to five or six.

Oh that screenshot is from the first game. I thought it was from the second game.

Then yeah, maybe more decades have passed.