• Replies 176.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

PoR… why is this chapter so boring and so empty… how many more of these do I have to through…?

Seven?

Ugh… Well, time for a Sothe solo run.

24 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Congrats. If you can get the transfer mechanics to work on your notendo he will be +3 HP, +2 STR, +3 MAG, +4 LCK, +3 DEF, and +3 RES from the normal Sothe Bases.

His stats are a direct carry over? Nice! But isn’t he actually good in Radiant Dawn? That’s awful.

24 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Nope, it is just interesting to see. It is very rare for a Fire Emblem game to let an ally become an enemy, and I think it works with what they have done with Jill. Despite your misgivings about the character, the decision to protect the people she cares about, even if they are flawed human beings in the middle of making a mistake, is a fairly relatable convictions to have.

Maybe if she actually did anything as enemy it would be interesting to see, but she becomes an enemy 99% of the way through one map and is either killed unceremoniously, never seen again (presumably, do let me know if I’m wrong), or immediately reset on. It’s not like she leads a charge on her own or something.

I do have to say that Portrait of Ruin's 3rd world is actually really good. And not just because it meets the bare minimum of "actually taking advantage of the portrait concept" standard. It's genuine good.

When you first enter the world, seeing only a tiny fraction of it, you don't understand the space at all. As you explore more of the area, you slowly grow to understand the larger tapestry that the individual rooms form.

Though the downside is that it also highlights just how banal everything else is.

Giving it the "Reverse Castle" treatment also didn't do it any favor. How it's basically the same level, except the boss room is in a random room at the bottom rather then the center of the level that literally all rooms are drawn towards. And the boss itself is just a random CV1 boss rather then anything that fits into the larger whole of the world.

Edited by BrightBow

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

PoR… why is this chapter so boring and so empty… how many more of these do I have to through…?

Chapter 21?

Oh, don't worry, Chapter 22 will fix that... hehehe...

This Dracula is the worst. My goodness, he's so lame. I don't care that he doesn't transform, Ecclesia Dracula was badass. Heck, just standing up was enough of a transformation, his attacks in that part are vicious. And he clearly enjoyed his job more than this tosser. What happened? Why is his voice actor so unenthusiastic? Everyone else is fine...

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Seven?

Ugh…

Funnily enough, I believe it was exactly at this point when I had this same realization and quit the game entirely.

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Well, time for a Sothe solo run.

Of course, I didn't have such a genius idea. Perhaps I would've made it a bit further if I had.

9 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I do have to say that Portrait of Ruin's 3rd world is actually really good. And not just because it meets the bare minimum of "actually taking advantage of the portrait concept" standard. It's genuine good.

When you first enter the world, seeing only a tiny fraction of it, you don't understand the space at all. As you explore more of the area, you slowly grow to understand the larger tapestry that the individual rooms form.

Yes, Nation of Fools is great. Great moment when I realized where it was going with the shape of the map.

8 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Chapter 21?

Does it actually get good then? It'd be pretty funny if I finally lost patience with the game right before it gained a modicum of entertainment.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

That's a bit of bummer, I was hoping there were supposed to be specific strategies for different sorts of enemies.

Nightmare scenario in a game with a gacha element.

Although Xenoblade's always been about letting the player approach how they want. There is rarely a bad way to fight.

15 minutes ago, Sooks said:

If this is how PoR is treating you, then stay away from FE4.

11 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Chapter 21?

Yes.

11 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Somehow, this doesn’t sound good.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Of course, I didn't have such a genius idea. Perhaps I would've made it a bit further if I had.

Really? Somehow this seems exactly like one of your ideas. Next thing we know Sothe will end up in my sig.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Does it actually get good then? It'd be pretty funny if I finally lost patience with the game right before it gained a modicum of entertainment.

It's more to the fact that Chapter 22 could hardly be considered as "boring" and "empty" since...

Spoiler

The whole gimmick of having to shove unarmed priests if you want to avoid killing them. Even if think the gimmick is bad... it's not quite boring in its execution.

Also...

FE9: Path of Radiance Localization: Schaeffer's Death Quote [JPN vs ENG] |  kantopia

Edited by Acacia Sgt

For some good news, Sothe picked up a talisman in this chapter which he will now use because his res is, in fact, not capped.

Edited by Sooks

Just now, Sooks said:

For some good news, Sothe picked up a talisman in this chapter which he will now use because his res is, in fact, not capped.

Just be mindful his Rogue cap in RD is 15, so anything beyond that is useless for transfer purposes.

41 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH

https://images2.imgbox.com/8c/64/TBQ295yg_o.png

BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

What happened to you, man. You look ridiculous.

Ever since Symphony of the Night, Castlevania's Drac has almost always been white-haired. Portrait of Ruin broke from the beloved modern tradition by going with the above super duper generic appearance.

Although, Harmony of Dissonance has an arguably worse Dracula.:

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

Phase two of "Dracula Wraith". The vampiric Lord of Darkness isn't full resurrected in HoD, all that is fought is a half-unfinished ghost of the real thing that doesn't even remember who the Belmonts are.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, of course. That's fair. You did say you enjoy the gameplay, too, so it makes sense that you'd consider it one of your favorites.

My only question is, how? How does one enjoy the gameplay of PoR?

Guess it comes down to what a person enjoys most from a game in general. I can usually forgive what is generally considered to be lackluster gameplay if a game has characters or a plot I'm very invested in. Maybe I'm just too easily pleased. Who knows.

I mean, look at my top 5 FE games.

RD, 3H, Path, Genealogy, and Awakening.

Most of these are considered to be some of the weaker entries gameplay-wise, but I don't care? I enjoy them anyway.

Then again, I enjoy pretty much every FE game to at least some extent.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

This is beautiful and terrifying. I love it.

Just now, Shrimpolaris said:

So on the Tellius/Jugdral divide you are on the Jugral side nyaruhodo

Me who enjoys both.

788511497919266816.png?size=96

7 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Pretty great way to utilize a legacy boss too.

Yeah, it was straight up better in this game. The Aria fight was incredibly boring.

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Really? Somehow this seems exactly like one of your ideas.

I was too bored in this game to come up with any good ideas.

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Next thing we know Sothe will end up in my sig.

Oh, I'd love it if he did.

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's more to the fact that Chapter 22 could hardly be considered as "boring" and "empty" since...

Hide contents

The whole gimmick of having to shove unarmed priests if you want to avoid killing them. Even if think the gimmick is bad... it's not quite boring in its execution.

Also...

FE9: Path of Radiance Localization: Schaeffer's Death Quote [JPN vs ENG] |  kantopia

Yes, it's a neat concept. Except the game is still PoR, so you just enemy phase the completely useless enemies and the gimmick hardly matters outside of shoving the obstacles out of the way when needed to reach the boss. As always, good story concept, terrible gameplay execution.

But I haven't played this part, so I'll refrain from saying too much. After all, there's a chance the game just randomly becomes great immediately after I stopped. Maybe you actually have to think in this map. Just maybe.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yes. More. More Sothe.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Ever since Symphony of the Night, Castlevania's Drac has almost always been white-haired. Portrait of Ruin broke from the beloved modern tradition by going with the above super duper generic appearance.

I mean, it wouldn't be bad for him not to be white haired if he didn't look so... incredibly stupid.

Hide contents

maxresdefault.jpg

Phase two of "Dracula Wraith". The vampiric Lord of Darkness isn't full resurrected in HoD, all that is fought is a half-unfinished ghost of the real thing that doesn't even remember who the Belmonts are.

lol

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

Guess it comes down to what a person enjoys most from a game in general. I can usually forgive what is generally considered to be lackluster gameplay if a game has characters or a plot I'm very invested in. Maybe I'm just too easily pleased. Who knows.

I mean, look at my top 5 FE games.

RD, 3H, Path, Genealogy, and Awakening.

Most of these are considered to be some of the weaker entries gameplay-wise, but I don't care? I enjoy them anyway.

Then again, I enjoy pretty much every FE game to at least some extent.

Yeah, fair enough.

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

This is beautiful and terrifying. I love it.

Thanks. I did try.

Hide contents

maxresdefault.jpg

I've never finished Harmony of Dissonance, so there is something comforting in knowing that no matter how deep you get in the game, everything will always look like a chaotic mess.