Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

59 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Fire Emblem fans truly would rather repeat an hour's worth of progress over using tools (official or otherwise) that allow them to not waste time.

I would, better to lose and start over than not earn the victory at all imo.

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

You know I said that Skywalker Saga is a collect-a-thon at heart? I lied. It's actually a clicker at heart. It's so satisfying to stack stud multipliers and watch the numbers go up.

It's even designed intelligently. Studs x2 costs 1 million studs. Studs x4 costs 2 million, which if you have studs x2 activated, is effectively 1 million. Studs x6 costs 8 million, which if you have both studs x2 and studs x4 activated, is effectively 1 million. So on, so forth, until studs x10, which costs 348 million. If you stack every other multiplier, you get... you guessed it, 348 times the studs.

...And then there's galaxy rave, the most expensive item to buy in the entire game... which is only 500 million. Once I get studs x10, the multiplier will be 3480. Yeah. I may not have actually been that far off the mark when I joked that I'd only have to find one stud after getting all the multipliers...

This is my goal, right now. I tend to suck at 100%ing open games, as I get bored of the "find quest, do quest" loop before I can grind my way through it all. Besides, I consider these games more about the journey than the destination, anyway. If I get a few dozen hours out of an open world game and a few fun situations, I consider it money well spent, even if I don't get to what the game calls "the end." I mean, it's quite telling that Fallout: New Vegas is simultaneously the only open world game I've ever finished, and also the one I enjoyed the least.

But this, at least, I want to do. I want to see that rave!

8 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

Turnwheel was the best mechanic FE added

DSFE save points better.

You are despicable.

5 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

That whole "thinking before making a move thing" really is the problem with strategy games.

Of course. We're only here for the story and characters, after all.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

DSFE save points better.

Of course. We're only here for the story and characters, after all.

Yes, that's why Genealogy is my favorite 😜

Now if you excuse me, I'll replay it with using the original turnwheel mechanic, savescum, as Kaga intended

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Battle saves/Save states are too much, no saving at all is too little.

Where do you stand on DSFE? Personally, that without the restriction of it being a map command (still limited per battle) would be my answer.

It's even designed intelligently. Studs x2 costs 1 million studs. Studs x4 costs 2 million, which if you have studs x2 activated, is effectively 1 million. Studs x6 costs 8 million, which if you have both studs x2 and studs x4 activated, is effectively 1 million. So on, so forth, until studs x10, which costs 348 million. If you stack every other multiplier, you get... you guessed it, 348 times the studs.

...And then there's galaxy rave, the most expensive item to buy in the entire game... which is only 500 million. Once I get studs x10, the multiplier will be 3480. Yeah. I may not have actually been that far off the mark when I joked that I'd only have to find one stud after getting all the multipliers...

This takes me back. The joy of collecting those stacks of stud multipliers. It's a feeling that should not feel as satisfying as it does. I love it.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

DSFE save points better.

That's what I keep saying! Why don't they bring that back? Honestly one of the most underrated mechanics of FE. I think it's the perfect way to allow for saves within maps while adding in extra layers of strategy depending on their position. 

1 minute ago, Newtype06 said:

Yes, that's why Genealogy is my favorite 😜

Now if you excuse me, I'll replay it with using the original turnwheel mechanic, savescum, as Kaga intended

I'm pretty sure it was a sentence like this that killed me and turned me into a skeleton. I am in agony. It's fine though. I'll blame Ruben for that.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Of course. We're only here for the story and characters, after all

Surely since you're saying this sarcastically, that must mean Berwick has awful characters with an awful story.

Also, this too hurt to read. Damn you.

I guess the way I see it: why even play a strategy game if save states is going to control the outcome anyways? If you have to use a crutch to play a game, then its designed like shit at base.

So I just got to the third level of Return of the Jedi, the speeder chase. This is the first time I've ever thought "wow, I wish I were playing Complete Saga instead." The original level was so much better.

This one started similarly. We're on foot, we fight some stormtroopers, then we hop on the flying bikes and set off to a on-rails section of the map where we shoot down stormtroopers on speeders. Except there are no more on-foot sections, and the speeder blows. There is no aiming, Luke just fires straight ahead and you have to steer the bike until the enemy happens to be in front of the blast cannon. It's extremely inaccurate, and if the enemy is below or above you due to a slope or a bump or whatever, it's impossible to hit them, so each enemy takes an hour to go down. Not only that, the game makes you kill a billion of these! Over 20 of them, at least!

And you know the funniest thing? After like 15 minutes of this, I ran out of map and fell into the endless void. I'd accumulated 50 million studs running into trees, but now I must reset the level because I'm just stuck here. So not only must I kill troopers while on fast bikes with the dumbest aiming in the world, I must also do it fast enough or else I reach the end of the map. What the hell happened, TT? Why is this mission so much worse than all the rest?

...But at least it seems the game saved my studs. Of course, the repeated deaths had brought it down to 37 million, but at least I get something. It wasn't a complete waste of time.

36 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Where do you stand on DSFE? Personally, that without the restriction of it being a map command (still limited per battle) would be my answer.

I like them best, because you have to earn them and strategize when to use them for maximum benefit. They're like another element in the map to take into account. Best approach, in my opinion, with Kaga's 5-turn saves as a second-best alternative because at least they don't completely break the game. Turnwheel and battle saves are too much, there's zero reason to actually use a strategy if you can just risk a 70% and undo it if it doesn't work out.

37 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

This takes me back. The joy of collecting those stacks of stud multipliers. It's a feeling that should not feel as satisfying as it does. I love it.

So do I. It's great.

That's what I keep saying! Why don't they bring that back? Honestly one of the most underrated mechanics of FE. I think it's the perfect way to allow for saves within maps while adding in extra layers of strategy depending on their position. 

Exactly right! These things are the biggest reason I put New Mystery above Conquest, honestly.

Surely since you're saying this sarcastically, that must mean Berwick has awful characters with an awful story.

Oh no, Berwick's got a great story and an excellent cast of characters that benefits from Berwick using a manner of giving them screentime that is superior to supports.

Berwick just does everything right, that's the thing.

Also, this too hurt to read. Damn you.

It hurt to type too, if it's any consolation.

Are PSP games normally a hassle to patch? I've been trying to get Grand Knights History translated this morning, but I seem to be hitting a wall attempting to apply the patch (or patches?, why do I need three files?). I'll come back to this later.

10 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

If you have to use a crutch to play a game, then its designed like shit at base.

Careful now, you're calling BS a load of BS!😛

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

As you said, 34 exists.

As if Chapter 34 is a problem? It never felt that way for me.

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

Seliph dressed like Shannan is not a look I was expecting.

That's the surprise I get when Twitter only loads the text and links I suppose.

I like them best, because you have to earn them and strategize when to use them for maximum benefit. They're like another element in the map to take into account. Best approach, in my opinion, with Kaga's 5-turn saves as a second-best alternative because at least they don't completely break the game. Turnwheel and battle saves are too much, there's zero reason to actually use a strategy if you can just risk a 70% and undo it if it doesn't work out.

I might get the point about earning them, but I feel like because a unit has to be there to activate them it's not as open to strategise around using them if you want to use them at a different time to when your forces are marching through that area.

This is pretty decently mitigated in the DSFE if I recall correctly, but if I were doing a full playthrough I could give a better answer on the matter.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As if Chapter 34 is a problem? It never felt that way for me.

It does have infinite reinforements.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Also, what the hell is happening here. Why are his eyes scratched out?

Something similiar to why many of sunny's memories were also "scratched out"

Oh thank God. I was headed straight for the void again, but at the very last second, the game managed to load the next portion of the map, allowing me to shoot down the final trooper and finish the level. If there is an argument against 100%ing this game, it's that I'd have to go back to this crap. No, thanks.

...Of course! And what happens after that godawful level than we go to a hub area that's badly optimized?! It's not the horrible, lag that rendered the Geonosis factory nearly unplayable. At least I can aim somewhat decently here, but still, the Ewok Village runs like shit for no apparent reason. Nice.

14 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I might get the point about earning them, but I feel like because a unit has to be there to activate them it's not as open to strategise around using them if you want to use them at a different time to when your forces are marching through that area.

Fair point, but I still prefer this to everything else FE has done. Which is... renamed save states and absolutely nothing, so it's not like the competition is stellar, anyway.

8 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Something similiar to why many of sunny's memories were also "scratched out"

Oh, no...

Well, that was episode 6. By far the worst episode so far, between the godawful speeder level, the laggy Ewok village and the destruction of the second Death Star being a quick cutscene in favor of... y'know, having the speeder level instead. Not the game's finest showing, but oh well. Nothing is perfect.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, that was episode 6. By far the worst episode so far, between the godawful speeder level, the laggy Ewok village and the destruction of the second Death Star being a quick cutscene in favor of... y'know, having the speeder level instead. Not the game's finest showing, but oh well. Nothing is perfect.

So the essence of RotJ was faithfully adapted. Got it

Oh no.

I just found another review for Exit Fate online (here it is, if anyone wishes to give it a read), and it includes this pearl of a line.

"Thinking, by the way, is actually necessary in this jRPG, unlike most of its brethren where almost every battle can be won by tapping a single button."

Well, shit. It's not even this one alone. Here's another review, in video form this time, that I watched yesterday. It also makes a point to describe it as a game that makes an effort not to fall for the same pitfalls as the rest of the genre.

They all feel like they're speaking to me and my problems with JRPGs. And stating that this game does not suffer from them, at that. It has a number of interesting mechanics that I'd love to see in action. Biggest criticisms seem to be that the start of the game is slow and that the game doesn't have original music, but rather pulls tracks from other JRPGs, FE hack style. Neither of them sound all that big to me.

t honestly looks like it may be the one. The one I enjoy that doesn't need to be an oddball. Or maybe it'll be a disappointment, but I really want to find out. Only problem I can see from outside is that the protagonist's face gives me slight uncanny valley feels, but that's not a flaw, that's a nitpick that I'd spend the entire game bullying him for. Either way, I don't learn, do I. Once again, I am feeling that I may have to give a JRPG a shot - after all, it is freeware. I lose nothing here but time.

...In due time, though. When I start to get over Skywalker Saga. Then we'll see.

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

After the masterpiece that is Episode III, it really can only go downhill.

I mean, I intend to finish the story mode on that one. Can't go downhill if there's nothing left.

Are you being serious or sarcastic, by the way? I can't really tell here.

1 minute ago, Newtype06 said:

So the essence of RotJ was faithfully adapted. Got it

In the Sequel era, people prop up the originals and the prequels as the right way to do it.

In the Prequel era, people propped up the originals as the right way to do it.

In the Return of the Jedi era, people propped up the previous movie as the right way to do it.

Maybe people should just accept that Star Wars has never been that amazing.

(From the first review I linked)

"My main satisfaction, however, comes from the portrayal of female characters. Traditionally, they’re delegated to healers and mages and exploited to wear extremely impractical garb. The clothing usually complements perfect curves and youthful faces, as if the auditions for female jRPG roles require both unnatural skill and good looks, kind of unfair when men can just get away with the former.

The women in Exit Fate can axe it up with the best of men, have much more realistically distributed faces, and most surprisingly, wear functional clothing over physically feasible proportions."

Yep, that's it. I'm convinced.

cOsAAXo7_o.png