Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I don't think it was really that bad. It'd be just a matter of finishing what's left to translate.

I was thinking more "this is old and not the best documented and needs better programming tools, so starting over is easier". Not sure if any of that is true, but I could see that as a possibility. It has been over a decade since the Alpha translation came to a halt.

54 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, also forgot. The first Compact game also adapts the One Year War part-way... kinda. Like the non-GC examples, it's more of an AU OYW already, thanks to Compact's backstory.

On that subject, I'm reminded that every now and then I have a desire to make my own SRW type of plot. For years I've long thought up what the OG elements would be, though I'll also say I've been quite ambitious, wanting to basically make it a multi-"game" endeavor like Classicverse, or Alphaverse, or Zverse. I might just cut it down to one game if it proves too much, hahaha.

Though back on Compact, I've also tried to, as practice, make basically a Compact+, as a kind of test-drive of seeing if I can outline a SRW game. Helps Compact is like the one SRW without OG stuff (barring the original version of SRW 1, since the remake it got added Cybuster and an expansion mission pack with its own OG final boss), so I felt it made it easier. As a rough outline, I increased the game's length from 33 missions to like ~70. Quite the increase there, hahaha. I might actually do it, since as I mentioned yesterday with that DQV fanfic idea, I also wanted to do the same but with SRW. And again, felt using Compact since... well, it actually stands out in some things, and not just in the "No OG" detail.

Well anyway...

Isn't J-Decker close enough?

Can you imagine if SRW going global could lead to...?

I saw someone think Pacific Rim, another Western property, could be a realistic possibility, the movies did spawn an anime it was pointed out. And a nut who thought Disney would loan Iron Man, yeaaaaah, just get drunk when playing 30 and pretend Ultraman is Mr. Stark. 

And again, felt using Compact since... well, it actually stands out in some things, and not just in the "No OG" detail.

Like what, pray tell? Other than the origins of Commencement of a Distant Battle/Fight for Tomorrow? I would've thought being a monochrome Game Boy rival game would've limited its potentials. (But then, I suppose Compact 2's three parts wasn't entirely from a lack of space, but an overabundance of ambition too. And when looking for a glimpse of Compact 3 Betterman, I did see Hinoki had jiggle physics on what was basically a Game Boy Color, never imagined that there could be a thing on so primitive a handheld system.)

On that subject, I'm reminded that every now and then I have a desire to make my own SRW type of plot. For years I've long thought up what the OG elements would be, though I'll also say I've been quite ambitious, wanting to basically make it a multi-"game" endeavor like Classicverse, or Alphaverse, or Zverse. I might just cut it down to one game if it proves too much, hahaha.

Meanwhile, I put a few thoughts into considering how Xenogears could be integrated into SRW as a pipe dream. And yet, I couldn't possibly envision anything, since I had zero familiarity with any licensed franchise. Even after getting experience 30, I still can't think of how Xenogears could be blended in.

All SRW stories might for better or worse in themselves be considered fanfiction, since they have to blend together series that have nothing to do with each other. Writing such a tale is nonetheless a Herculean task IMO. To write a tale of robots and wars, is to become a polyglot. It is the equivalent of writing the first lines of a novel in English, then swapping in the next chapter to Japanese, then Greek the chapter after that, followed by Algerian Arabic, Lebanese Arabic, Swahili, Malay, Quechua, Cherokee, and lastly the dead and not well understood language of the Harappan civilization. All before you start filling the book with sentences that combine words and grammar from each of these of these tongues. 

Every one of these languages represent a different franchise one must be familiar with. The two Arabics are like two Gundam subseries in one game, some shared intelligibility, but certainly not the same. The Harappan being something really old and obscure that Banpresto brought back to life, sometimes after a hiatus. For the reader, you needn't be familiar with everyone, but for the writer whose job is to glue the disparate together in an entertaining whole, they need to know their series and be on the constant lookout for more to integrate into the SRW franchise. 

...Although, writing this did give the gears in the noggin one rotation. If you know of any mecha franchise that involves a now-extinct ancient Earthling human civilization that was extremely advanced, that could help ground XG.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 177.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

12 hours ago, Armagon said:

Oh well @Benice looks like I can just get a Yakuza game for free now.

Yay! I'm not sure that you'll have time to get to it given that it's a meaty game, and you've got Threenoblade and Gunvolt 3 on your hands, but I hope you enjoy it if you get to it! I personally absolutely adore LAD, but I also know nothing about JRPGs.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I was thinking more "this is old and not the best documented and needs better programming tools, so starting over is easier". Not sure if any of that is true, but I could see that as a possibility. It has been over a decade since the Alpha translation came to a halt.

On that line of thought, then Alpha Gaiden would need a retranslation too, then.

Isn't J-Decker close enough?

Well, precisely, yeah. The Brave series show Transformers wouldn't be too out of place in SRW. With GaoGaiGar in Alphaverse, W, BX, T, and now 30; Might Gaine in the VTX Trilogy, and J-Decker in 30. Enough of a presence indeed.

I saw someone think Pacific Rim, another Western property, could be a realistic possibility, the movies did spawn an anime it was pointed out. And a nut who thought Disney would loan Iron Man, yeaaaaah, just get drunk when playing 30 and pretend Ultraman is Mr. Stark. 

Whenever I've seen people comment on non-Japanese stuff in SRW, for a time the most common answer was Megas XLR. Pacific Rim also tends to be mentioned often, yeah. It was inspired mostly by Evangelion, as it were.

I mean, a lot of stuff in SRW was once thought to never have a chance of being there. So... I wouldn't 100% write it out, even if it's Disney. If they can be convinced to put Sora in Smash...

Like what, pray tell? Other than the origins of Commencement of a Distant Battle/Fight for Tomorrow? I would've thought being a monochrome Game Boy rival game would've limited its potentials. (But then, I suppose Compact 2's three parts wasn't entirely from a lack of space, but an overabundance of ambition too. And when looking for a glimpse of Compact 3 Betterman, I did see Hinoki had jiggle physics on what was basically a Game Boy Color, never imagined that there could be a thing on so primitive a handheld system.)

Well, unless you're really familiar with the anime series, it might not be as understood.

Eh, the Wonderswan (Color) I'd consider it as being better than the Game Boy (Color). I mean, the Wonderswan Color was contemporary with the Game Boy Advance, even if graphics wise it didn't looked like it. It had its own internal memory you could make a profile with, which some games would make use of, like SRW itself. Compact and Compact 2 (don't think 3 did it) would check the player's birthday and blood type from the Wonderswan's memory and change just about EVERYONE's Seishin list accordingly. There were like, six-seven different lists characters could have, even if overlapping was common. And yes, being just about superior meant they could do stuff the Game Boy couldn't. Like those cut-ins. lol

Anyway, back in Compact, like I said, it's mostly in the story side of things. As I mentioned above, it's one of the few games to incorporate the One Year War, though very AU. It's also one of two games (the other being MX) that Daimos shows up without either of the other two Nagahama Trilogy mechas (Combattler and Voltes). Still on Daimos, it's also the only game where Aizam is playable, and Richter being a permanent recruit. Other games with Daimos the most you could have is being a temporal PC in some maps, and also having to be unlockable for what amounts a temporary PC. Compact is also one of the few SRWs where a non-OG is the final boss, with Don Zauser from Daitarn 3. Granted, it's because of no OGs at all, but still. So it's also a case where it's done properly. Not a hybrid situation like in FF where Scirocco and Shapiro used Valsion Kai's. Or like Compact2/Impact where Char Aznable as the final boss had to be unlocked with the Battle Masteries / Skill Points. Which also means it's a non-OG who gets the role of being the one pulling strings and directing the other factions behind the scenes and stuff, instead of the OG faction. And because of no OGs then the story, like in Alpha Gaiden, is more ensemble-centric as there's no single protagonist to keep in focus.

There's probably other elements, but I might need to remember them.

Meanwhile, I put a few thoughts into considering how Xenogears could be integrated into SRW as a pipe dream. And yet, I couldn't possibly envision anything, since I had zero familiarity with any licensed franchise. Even after getting experience 30, I still can't think of how Xenogears could be blended in.

All SRW stories might for better or worse in themselves be considered fanfiction, since they have to blend together series that have nothing to do with each other. Writing such a tale is nonetheless a Herculean task IMO. To write a tale of robots and wars, is to become a polyglot. It is the equivalent of writing the first lines of a novel in English, then swapping in the next chapter to Japanese, then Greek the chapter after that, followed by Algerian Arabic, Lebanese Arabic, Swahili, Malay, Quechua, Cherokee, and lastly the dead and not well understood language of the Harappan civilization. All before you start filling the book with sentences that combine words and grammar from each of these of these tongues. 

Every one of these languages represent a different franchise one must be familiar with. The two Arabics are like two Gundam subseries in one game, some shared intelligibility, but certainly not the same. The Harappan being something really old and obscure that Banpresto brought back to life, sometimes after a hiatus. For the reader, you needn't be familiar with everyone, but for the writer whose job is to glue the disparate together in an entertaining whole, they need to know their series and be on the constant lookout for more to integrate into the SRW franchise. 

Heh, certainly needs some more experience with story-planning. I wouldn't be surprised if the SRW writers have done it already with lots of stuff, for fun or just in case they finally get to put them in at last. On the subject, other than the standard OG faction which would be my full invention and thus free to mold it as I please anyway, can't say I've tried like, add a not-yet-in-SRW property for my SRW fanfic ideas.

Hmm, that's an interesting comparison to make. Fortunately you can basically learn as you go, and with series that show up more than once, then the repetition further helps.

7 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

And do you think Shrimpy prefers the generics?

Fair point.

7 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

7 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

LIVE A ƎVI⅃ sure sounds like an "interesting" game (it is a mid-1990s SNES RPG, so I shouldn't be too surprised). But everyone has favorite games with "interesting" scenes, and it's fine to acknowledge things you don't like about games you do like.

Oh, absolutely. I may not like Pogo much and VS2 might have a map I don't enjoy, but that doesn't mean I would no longer call these games great.

Maybe I can look into the demo, if I'm in the mood one day.

Go ahead! It's a very different JRPG, especially compared to the rest of Square's library.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

She's 15 BTW

Haha oh Japan.

And that's me testing positive for covid. That is a problem.

(This is why I'm testing positive I would argue if I thought it were that simple)

7 hours ago, Awoken Dayni said:

Then again, I'm used to seeing sub 80 for WTD greenies.

I am not even talking WTD. With WTD i will be lucky if i get 50s xD

7 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

Selena!Velouria

Considering my Selena!Soleil turned out mighty fine

Qg6anWz.png

I thought Selena!Velouria would also work hmm

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Isn't that you problem? The flying assassin is Skl & Def.

can you blame me when i got this Beruka

HBZIIPQ.png

XD

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And I thought you wanted balanced wyvern riders too. Be careful what you wish for.😛

Balanced doesn't mean noodle arms xD

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I just got an email from Steam.

It's out, everyone.

Karajan Saga.

I got the mail earlier as well. I shall await the giveaway tho

16 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

And that's me testing positive for covid. That is a problem.

oh boy. Get well soon and take care of yourself!

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

I am not even talking WTD. With WTD i will be lucky if i get 50s xD

Those are generics with no +hit skill levels.

Or near anyone facing Gazak underlevelled for some reason. Which was an issue yesterday that I managed to overcome using Orochi on LunaRev, got her to 95% on Lightning after a few things.

@Saint Rubenio That video that isn't Megalovania keeps turning up when I'm watching other videos as what to put on next.

Odio is infiltrating the algorithm

Just now, Shrimpy said:

Gazak is also pretty op tbf, and he is one a throne iirc

I know, but I'm remembering Niles having ~60 hit on him at the time, some of the worst I'd see.

5 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

WgD5v6v.png

kronk-oh-yeah-its-all-coming-together.gi

Thinking about the name, sounds like she should just have it.

I stayed up to 2 AM last night playing Xenoblade 3. See like, normally, even if my shift is in the afternoon, I head to head like at 11. But nah, this game is just too good guys. This game is so fucking good, so raw. Have not done this for a game in a long time.

Y'all enjoy yourselves tomorrow. Join me on this wild ride.

13 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

FINALLY! SRW30 is done!🎉 Took me 175 missions, including DLC and the Relic battles, but oddly not any of the simulator fights, which would've put things closer to 200. Play time was 159.3 hours

Congratulations man.

Meanwhile I'm still in the early chapters haha. And I don't know when I'll get back to it.

13 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I had also completely forgotten the scene with Gori and the female gorilas, which is just... I almost propelled the thread into Flame War Over Fanservice #4762 defending this. Jesus fuck, what was I thinking.

No see, I feel it's more understandable for you to get mad if bestiality is being involved.

Like just reading this has me only guessing what was so bad.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's a very different JRPG, especially compared to the rest of Square's library.

And that's why it's more interesting than what 98% of what the company puts out.

Might get it during a black Friday sale (but Harvestella would be out by then, looks like I might play two Squeenix titles in a month).

....nah I can't hold it in anymore. Guys, know that the following praise is something I have not given very lightly. But I need you to understand how good this is, at least in my opinion.

I am very much feeling that Noah/Mio has surpassed Fei/Elly on the video game romances tier-list. For the longest time I considered Fei/Elly to be unmatched but that time is over.

Again, this is not praise I am giving lightly. I truly mean it. In my personal opinion, we have a new gold standard for video game romances and it is one of the best in fiction.

Edited by Armagon

1 hour ago, Awoken Dayni said:

@Saint Rubenio That video that isn't Megalovania keeps turning up when I'm watching other videos as what to put on next.

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Ho boy.
ss_258941ae90e229e80a2c8cfc6d4a5680ac8f4

Fun fact: this line was the result of faulty machine translations in the old pre-localization days. It was changed to "what goes around comes around" in the translation, but due to the old line's massive popularity among the beta testers, the translator decided to revert it to the old line.

Frankly, I'm happy. This line's absolutely wonderful.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

....nah I can't hold it in anymore. Guys, know that the following praise is something I have not given very lightly. But I need you to understand how good this is, at least in my opinion.

I am very much feeling that Noah/Mio has surpassed Fei/Elly on the video game romances tier-list. For the longest time I considered Fei/Elly to be unmatched but that time is over.

Again, this is not praise I am giving lightly. I truly mean it. In my personal opinion, we have a new gold standard for video game romances and it is one of the best in fiction.

Okay but beards?

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Okay but beards?

I'm sorry Ruben but this game discriminates against old people by it's premise of everyone only having 10 years to live.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

As punishment, here, listen to remixes

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'm sorry Ruben but this game discriminates against old people by it's premise of everyone only having 10 years to live.

I'm sorry what?

46 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Y'all enjoy yourselves tomorrow. Join me on this wild ride.

no you join us on the Karajan train

47 minutes ago, Armagon said:

No see, I feel it's more understandable for you to get mad if bestiality is being involved.

Like just reading this has me only guessing what was so bad.

It's uh... Well, it's like the rest of the chapter. It's very slapsticky in a really raunchy and dumb way. Involving pink gorillas in lingerie. I guess I can see the humor, but it's not the kind of thing that makes me laugh, personally.

At least Gori is a gorilla too

48 minutes ago, Armagon said:

And that's why it's more interesting than what 98% of what the company puts out.

Exactly. It's why it has been one of my long-time favorite JRPGs. It's also why Akira and Pogo are my least favorite scenarios. On top of the settings not being my thing, they are more traditional compared to the rest.

Just now, Awoken Dayni said:

I'm sorry what?

The premise of Xenoblade 3, as revealed by the trailers, is that it's a world with a never ending war fought by child soldiers who fight from age 10 to age 20, after which they die. But most don't make it to age 20 in the first place.

As revealed by the trailers, there is an old guy the party meets. Why he's old, well, that's one of the mysteries, inn'it?

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Exactly. It's why it has been one of my long-time favorite JRPGs.

Yeah cause like the thing with Square RPGs is that it feels a lot of them were just chucked in a machine that had a "make an RPG button". It's why Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy never interested me. And then Square makes a bunch of other RPGs and they also feel like they were factory made, you get me?

And like not that it's a bad thing necessarily but when that's 98% of your RPG library it's like....why bother, you know?

21 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Xenoblade, more like Xenobadly

20 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

As punishment, here, listen to remixes

Oh nooooo what a nightmaaaare

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah cause like the thing with Square RPGs is that it feels a lot of them were just chucked in a machine that had a "make an RPG button". It's why Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy never interested me. And then Square makes a bunch of other RPGs and they also feel like they were factory made, you get me?

And like not that it's a bad thing necessarily but when that's 98% of your RPG library it's like....why bother, you know?

Yeah, I get you. I feel the same way, myself. I mean, remember how a while back I tried out that RPG called Treasure of the Rudras? The one where you created your own magic by inputting words. That's brilliant! Except the rest of the game was so generic that I couldn't make it far.

Live a Live's strength is how unabashedly creative it is. It doesn't always strike gold, perhaps, but it tried so many interesting things - and succeeded enough - that I'm willing to forgive whatever goofs it has.

That, and the remake fixed a lot of important issues with the presentation and the combat while being extremely faithful otherwise. You love to see it.

It's funny because we're talking like that, but I'm certain you're gonna LOVE the somewhat more mundane Near Future simply based on the setting.

20220728_082153.jpg

The six year wait is finally over.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's funny because we're talking like that, but I'm certain you're gonna LOVE the somewhat more mundane Near Future simply based on the setting.

Sci-fi is the best genre yes.

43 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Sci-fi is the best genre yes.

Far Future's the closer fit.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

The premise of Xenoblade 3, as revealed by the trailers, is that it's a world with a never ending war fought by child soldiers who fight from age 10 to age 20, after which they die. But most don't make it to age 20 in the first place.

I am already dead in that universe.