Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

31 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

He really undersells the importance of the support system, which really helps to flesh out the characters which in turn creates a stronger bond between the player and game world. Sure the GBA games are a gameplay downgrade from the SNES games, but the added depth given with the support system more then makes up for it.

Gameplay wise support system does nothing for unit uniqueness

Also support system that GBAFE introduced is the worst mechanic ever introduced to FE. Older supports system ala FE4/5 was much better, and didn't need stupid grinding

Edited by Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων

• Replies 176.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

How the hell can this game introduce three axe boys in the same chapter and not give them a single line of dialogue, I thought this was Fire Emblem not Europa Universalis.

Also I like that the armor knight's movement sounds like a box of lightbulbs.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

My boss said I did a great job today and that I can go have a drink for the last 40 minutes of work instead of going back to the office. So now I'm here as I sip a grape juice victoriously.

Life is good.

Grape juice, the drink of champions my friend,

As Acacia pointed out already, this game (and its sequel) has save points that can be found in the maps. A beautiful idea that was unfortunately axed after the DS duology.

In Fates and Awakening they changed it so you could save any point of the battle, but it was only on casual mode so it barely matters.

Too bad he's very much as generic in the non-DS games.

Yeah. Well at least in Fates his look still retains that gentle prince vibe that I don't get from other lords.

Though that might be because he's Marth.

Just five minutes ago I saw someone make a case for Mario XCOM 2's Edge. In response to a "too generic" reply, they resorted to the tried and true "didn't stop the anime swordfighters."

What I'm getting at is, I might buy Ninty Online if I get to teabag people as a character called Edge. And I'm so fucking hyped for Mario XCOM 2. Yes, I am aware neither lf these conclusions has anything to do with what I quoted.

Mario XCOM 2 is a phrase I never thought I'd hear and subsequently believe in.

Edited by Edelguardiansing

1 minute ago, Edelguardiansing said:

How the hell can this game introduce three axe boys in the same chapter and not give them a single line of dialogue, I thought this was Fire Emblem not Europa Universalis.

EUV has more character dev than shadow dragon

Okay... I fixed it. Or I'm fixing it. But it's on its way to being fixed.

It's a super inelegant solution that required me to sacrifice a cutscene map. You remember the map that is seen for five seconds at the start of Hamill Canyon, when Eirika receives news of Ephraim's assault on Grado from the generic messenger? Me neither, it took me forever to find where it was. The team starts the chapter in the middle of the Hamill Canyon map anyway, so now I've moved that conversation to the edge of that same map. Then I sacrificed the other one by replacing its data with the OG Tower of Valni 4 data.

I know there's very little reason to care about any of this mumbo jumbo, but I thought there was something amusing about the fact that I've had to sacrifice a whole map to Kaga in order to fix the massive mess I caused weeks ago. Sheesh, now I really gotta do at least SOMETHING with the tower... A map has died for the tower to be restored! I gotta at least unlock in the Creature Campaign. Not that there's going be any reason to bother with the Creature Campaign. There won't even be bonus characters, I needed every single playable slot available in the game for my OCs...

Adding new maps is still a problem, but I can worry about it later. Programming.txt

3 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Shadow Dragon!

Also I like that the armor knight's movement sounds like a box of lightbulbs.

Best movement sound in the series. No contest.

Grape juice, the drink of champions my friend,

Preach.

In Fates and Awakening they changed it so you could save any point of the battle, but it was only on casual mode so it barely matters.

That's how it worked in Radiant Dawn, you could save whenever in normal mode, but not in hard mode. Which is like... Hard mode is just as bad as ever, and normal just has glorified save states. Not the most elegant solution ever.

Mario XCOM 2 is a phrase I never thought I'd hear and subsequently believe in.

That's how everyone reacted to Mario XCOM 1 haha. Now that the team's proven itself, people are a lot more willing to accept stuff like the literal edgelord OC or Mario Payne.

4 minutes ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

Gameplay wise support system does nothing for unit uniqueness

Also support system is the worst mechanic ever introduced to FE

In all seriousness if you’re talking about uniqueness in terms of pure gameplay sure you only get a few bonuses based on pairing characters. However without the support system many of the characters in the larger cast size of FE would have very little uniqueness in terms of characterization. It is from this very characterization that a player can better understand a PC and actually care about them outside of their stats/skills/weapons. Otherwise a character is only as “unique” as their own personal skills and/or weapons, as in very little at all. Why use a character who doesn’t have a unique weapon or skills? Because maybe they’re more compelling as a character based on their support conversations. Not everyone in a 30+ cast is going to get screen time even in a longer JRPG simply by watching story cutscenes. Also the player is given the option to pair up characters as they see fit. Although this has given rise to FE being called nothing more then a “dating sim”, it helps to give the player agency in determining the fates of their characters, which I believe resonates far more with players then just simply have a unique character gameplay wise whom they know next to nothing about outside of their stats and skills. 

1 minute ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

However without the support system many of the characters in the larger cast size of FE would have very little uniqueness in terms of characterization.

Thracia, Tellius Base system, Berwick and vestaria are biiiig counterexamples

2 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

It is from this very characterization that a player can better understand a PC

Which every game after GBA does much much better than gba with their slow ass grwoths and ultra dumb and stupid 5 support limit

3 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

Why use a character who doesn’t have a unique weapon or skills? Because maybe they’re more compelling as a character based on their support conversations

Then don't design such stupid gameplay in the first place

I am not grinding support convos for characters i find stupid to use

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I know there's very little reason to care about any of this mumbo jumbo, but I thought there was something amusing about the fact that I've had to sacrifice a whole map to Kaga in order to fix the massive mess I caused weeks ago. Sheesh, now I really gotta do at least SOMETHING with the tower... A map has died for the tower to be restored! I gotta at least unlock in the Creature Campaign. Not that there's going be any reason to bother with the Creature Campaign. There won't even be bonus characters, I needed every single playable slot available in the game for my OCs...

You have to be in the ruins so we can kill the ROM's creator god

This song just reminds me of old days playing Roblox with my brother.

Also speaking of which, one complaint I've heard from my brother about Fire Emblem is that movement on it's own takes a turn for a character.

That's probably the more interesting complaints I've heard about Fire Emblem but it also makes a lot of sense as the guy mostly plays Paradox strategy games.

24 minutes ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

EUV

Man, I wish.

(The recent EU4 patch was actually really good, but still)

--

To get in on the YGOTAS posting action:

"In the end of the day, this is just a game. It doesn't matter if I win, lose, or DURROOO MONSTAH CARDO!!!"

Spoiler

For the record, I drew another monster card!

Spoiler

I can't be the only one appreciating the irony of an anime fan calling out YGOTAS for "stupid humor" and "cringe jokes" #ShotsFired

Spoiler

Although, to be fair, LK himself put a disclaimer on the old episodes denouncing his own edgy oughty-era jokes.

34 minutes ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

Thracia, Tellius Base system, Berwick and vestaria are biiiig counterexamples

Thracia: only a handful of the cast, with several others (Ronan, Hicks, Troude, Cain, Alva, Robert) getting basically nothing. Thracia may have the strongest cast pre-Binding Blade with several standout characters, but it still fails in comparison to later casts that have at the very least more screen time allowed to them via support conversations. Whereas if it was remade with the Support System these characters would have a lot more characterization. Give me several standout characters akin to Thracia and a fully realized cast via the support system.

Tellius Base System: More of an extension to the support system which can help give some good backstory and reactions from characters based on current events. However it doesn’t fully get the job done due to several characters getting featured less in Base Conversation then others, it’s not evenly done. I see the base conversations like I do the characters interactions in my castle: they help give some characters a bit more screen time, but not to the same extent the support conversations do. Again, it’s a good extension but not a good substitute. See also the difference between the cast of RD and newer characters in PoR.

Berwick and Vesteria: I haven’t played those games so I can’t really comment on them. 

Which every game after GBA does much much better than gba with their slow ass grwoths and ultra dumb and stupid 5 support limit

Then don't design such stupid gameplay in the first place

Of course future games will improve on the teething issues of a newly introduced system, but without the GBA games you don’t have the support system to begin with, plus the improvements they do make in the games after Binding Blade (have multiple romantic/friendship options for a character which can change their epilogue i.e. in some cases their entire life’s story).

I am not grinding support convos for characters i find stupid to use

Then don’t use them. Nobody is holding a gun to your head saying you have to use them. But with the support conversations there is a actual an opportunity that you’ll find a few characters engaging enough to use instead of relying solely on a characters stats and skills. And in the best situations character wise you’ll have both a great unit stats/skills wise and an interesting personality as well.

Edited by Sidereal Wraith

Through Rainy Streets:

Spoiler

Did 26A, lost Rishel, Meriah and Raffin. Did get the Lukuud at least.

Mostly wanted to do it so I can say I did, but never again because that's just not fun (having only the option to run past just limits your options in a bad way, temporarily exposing enemies who fired would have been nice but as it is you need to just have long range bro.). Going back to 26B.

After years of lurking, I finally had to hop into the FEUniverse discord.

But it was worth it, because they helped me to import the FE6 no damage sound to my hack. Which is good, because FE6's no damage sound is superior.

1 hour ago, Punished Dayni said:

You have to be in the ruins so we can kill the ROM's creator god

Oh yeah I definitely need to make it possible to kill me

Priorities.jpg

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

But it was worth it, because they helped me to import the FE6 no damage sound to my hack. Which is good, because FE6's no damage sound is superior.

Me ⚔️ You

BB sound design

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Just wanted to pop in to say this is true.

How could I not use a long haired red myrmidon named Navarre.

I have a type as you can tell.

Also the first death has occurred. Rest in peace Cord, you'll be remembered for the exactly 2 words you ever spoke on screen, those being your last words when you were killed.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

After years of lurking, I finally had to hop into the FEUniverse discord.

Is there not like a Serenes forest Discord? Is FEUniverse the main one for Fire Emblem?

Also now that I've played Sacred Stones I feel very much more inclined to try out this hack when it's ready. From the looks of things it looks incredible.

1 hour ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

Doesnt PoR have the one A and one B support limit? Along with RD only allowing one support?

12 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Doesnt PoR have the one A and one B support limit?

PoR has the stupidity yes, but the writing is much better there

RD supports don't matter when it comes to character writing

1 hour ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

More of an extension to the support system which can help give some good backstory and reactions from characters based on current events. However it doesn’t fully get the job done due to several characters getting featured less in Base Conversation then others, it’s not evenly done. I see the base conversations like I do the characters interactions in my castle: they help give some characters a bit more screen time, but not to the same extent the support conversations do. Again, it’s a good extension but not a good substitute

Expand the base sytem and it will be a good substitute

but without the GBA games you don’t have the support system to begin with

148.jpg

And in the best situations character wise you’ll have both a great unit stats/skills wise and an interesting personality as well.

Gba fails at both

Aside from FE8 as i like the cast there

FE6 is absolute dogshit tho

Edited by Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων

45 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

Me ⚔️ You

BB sound design

Thiw3Yyq_o.png

41 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Just wanted to pop in to say this is true.

Hello, Shakespeare. I can confirm that your confirmation is correct.

41 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

How could I not use a long haired red myrmidon named Navarre.

I have a type as you can tell.

I've never been much of a fan of Navarre. He's too much of a jerk. And he doesn't have a hat.

Also the first death has occurred. Rest in peace Cord, you'll be remembered for the exactly 2 words you ever spoke on screen, those being your last words when you were killed.

Shaky popped in just in time to see that. How sad.

Is there not like a Serenes forest Discord? Is FEUniverse the main one for Fire Emblem?

There is a Serenes discord, but FEUniverse is the main hacking community, so I felt I'd get better, quicker results for this particular question there.

Also now that I've played Sacred Stones I feel very much more inclined to try out this hack when it's ready. From the looks of things it looks incredible.

Haha, well, thank you very much! I don't know if incredible is the right word, but I would be quite happy if you did give it a shot.

19 minutes ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

Gba fails at both

Aside from FE8 as i like the cast there

FE6 is absolute dogshit tho

I feel FE6 does have a pretty solid (dare I use the word, underrated even) cast... With the caveat that it is bad at showing them off. Everyone's character is hidden away in supports, which are at their most obnoxious in the GBA trilogy to boot. A shame.

28 minutes ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

PoR has the stupidity yes, but the writing is much better there

RD supports don't matter when it comes to character writing

Well you were talking about the mechanic, not just the writing, so RD should be on that list as well, since 1 support is technically limited af.

47 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Remember him not for his two spoken words, remember him for his innate MAG growth equal to OG Mage Boi Merric's. I weep for this world, without light, without hope, and without the magnificence that is Dark Mage Cord. The trees have withered, and so has my heart.

You should totally do Dark Mage Caesar instead, once you get him.

Shaky popped in just in time to see that. How sad.

It was very sad. Saw it the moment I posted. Society will never understand my woes.

My woes are the pain of no one seeing Cord's greatness. But only a few of us can be based. I can take it, unlike Ruben when I called Yubello bad.

I feel FE6 does have a pretty solid (dare I use the word, underrated even) cast... With the caveat that it is bad at showing them off. Everyone's character is hidden away in supports, which are at their most obnoxious in the GBA trilogy to boot. A shame

Ah yes, the character of saying hi and bye as an entire support after 100 turns. I love that.

I do genuinely love the fe6 cast. Its one of my favorite things about fe6, although not really for supports. Its very Archanea-like and I appreciate that. I dont need fleshed out characters. Just based combat and general design that goes with the 1-3 lines they say when joining you. Also stuff like Lot and Wade's village moment thats like a special event scene. Felt Kaga-esque. Really, I just think the fe6 cast is fun.

3 minutes ago, ping said:

Remember him not for his two spoken words, remember him for his innate MAG growth equal to OG Mage Boi Merric's. I weep for this world, without light, without hope, and without the magnificence that is Dark Mage Cord. The trees have withered, and so has my heart.

People often go to "dark mage cord" for the memes and such or even when actually trying to say how he can be good. Personally never felt that myself, and I'm the Cord Conoisseuir. This isn't to say I think dark mage cord is bad, but that Cord is literally good at anything, and physical Cord is always insane. Hero Cord, Horseman Cord, Warrior Cord, and even magic Cords. I like my Cords not being a nerd or a Satanist.