Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

2 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

In Fates and Awakening they changed it so you could save any point of the battle, but it was only on casual mode so it barely matters.

Big brain enlightenment suggests it does matter because in classic mode, you'd reset anyways and in casual mode, you'd still miss out on EXP if you choose to continue.

2 hours ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

Thracia, Tellius Base system, Berwick and vestaria are biiiig counterexamples

The bolded

58 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Also the first death has occurred. Rest in peace Cord, you'll be remembered for the exactly 2 words you ever spoke on screen,

Get used to this btw, IntSys did a funny thing with Shadow Dragon in that there are no Supports because they were too focused on making the game a 1:1 recreation.

Like Radiant Dawn doesn't have Supports either but it still has Base and 90% of the cast is returning from Path of Radiance so most of the characterization is already there.

Mind you i think Supports in their current implementation needs to be fixed (TMS side-story sweep) but i'd rather they exist over none at all, barring the one time where it's excusable.

• Replies 176.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

So like, who is Shanty Pete anyways? 

29 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I've never been much of a fan of Navarre. He's too much of a jerk. And he doesn't have a hat.

Yeah that's fair enough, but I like his design and that's probably going to be the deciding factor on a lot of the characters I use in a game with no supports.

29 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

There is a Serenes discord, but FEUniverse is the main hacking community, so I felt I'd get better, quicker results for this particular question there.

Ah interesting.

Time to join both of them and not post anything.

20 minutes ago, ping said:

Remember him not for his two spoken words, remember him for his innate MAG growth equal to OG Mage Boi Merric's. I weep for this world, without light, without hope, and without the magnificence that is Dark Mage Cord. The trees have withered, and so has my heart.

You should totally do Dark Mage Caesar instead, once you get him.

Wait, how does class changing work in this game?

If I can change people into classes they have no business being in that would make this game an instant S tier.

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Big brain enlightenment suggests it does matter because in classic mode, you'd reset anyways and in casual mode, you'd still miss out on EXP if you choose to continue.

That is mostly how I used it in casual mode, still it's funny that they added a save feature that can only be used in the mode where deaths are the least problematic.

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Get used to this btw, IntSys did a funny thing with Shadow Dragon in that there are no Supports because they were too focused on making the game a 1:1 recreation.

That's quite a shame. Hopefully when New New Mystery of The Emblem releases they'll add supports.

12 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Legends tell of a ghastly captain who roams the seven seas, terrorising villages and stealing gold for his infinite hoard.

They speak of his golden peg leg, platinum hook and diamond teeth that he took from a king who dared defy his band of pirates.

Songs are sung of his many triumphs and the downfall of those who raise his ire, as much warning as they are memory.

It's questioned if he has a way of wandering worlds as he's been heard of in many places over the years. But one thing is for sure:

Doesn't matter who's the foe, be they man or manakete, none can stand to the might, of the pirate Shanty Pete!

Source:

Spoiler

I made that bit up lol he's never been seen in any of the games

Edited by Punished Dayni

Fd2WG8iaIAAbW0o?format=jpg&name=large

Shots that go hard.

27 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

I swear you don't lose exp though.

Well i mean they wouldn't be getting more EXP. They'll be missing out on what they could've gotten had they not retreated.

20 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Hopefully when New New Mystery of The Emblem releases they'll add supports.

I mean New Mystery already has Supports. Though Archanea as a whole is still weak on the character front.

12 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

Legends tell of a ghastly captain who roams the seven seas, terrorising villages and stealing gold for his infinite hoard.

They speak of his golden peg leg, platinum hook and diamond teeth that he took from a king who dared defy his band of pirates.

Songs are sung of his many triumphs and the downfall of those who raise his ire, as much warning as they are memory.

It's questioned if he has a way of wandering worlds as he's been heard of in many places over the years. But one thing is for sure:

Doesn't matter who's the foe, be they man or manakete, none can stand to the might, of the pirate Shanty Pete!

Source:

Hide contents

I made that bit up lol he's never been seen in any of the games

Heheh. They should add him in Engage as the final ring you get.

37 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

If I can change people into classes they have no business being in that would make this game an instant S tier.

Class changing is incredibly flexible in Shadow Dragon. Basically, there's three class sets:

• Cavalier, Dracoknight (only promoted), Archer, Myrmidon, Mage, Curate
  • Knight, Mercenary, Fighter, Pirate, Hunter, Dark Mage
  • (for girls) Peg Knight, Paladin (only promoted), Archer, Myrmidon, Mage, Cleric

Every character that isn't in a special class (like Marth's Lord class) can freely swap within their class set, once you get battle preparations. Everybody has their own innate bases and growths (including 10% MAG growth rates on some random phyisical characters) and they're added to the current class's current bases/growths.

There's some funky stuff with this - for example, Draug is actually a glass cannon with great SPD growth and terrible DEF growth, with all of his tankiness coming from the Knight class. I'm not as familiar with this game as I am with the sequel, so I don't really know what reclass options are actually considered good. I do believe that Dark Mage Cord really is just a meme, even though he's got pretty good SPD. But both Merric and the second Mage you recruit have their respective semi-personal tomes, which makes them way better than any reclassed (Dark) Mage.

1 hour ago, Shaky Jones said:

People often go to "dark mage cord" for the memes and such or even when actually trying to say how he can be good. Personally never felt that myself, and I'm the Cord Conoisseuir. This isn't to say I think dark mage cord is bad, but that Cord is literally good at anything, and physical Cord is always insane. Hero Cord, Horseman Cord, Warrior Cord, and even magic Cords. I like my Cords not being a nerd or a Satanist.

I have to admit that I've been swayed by Barst's incredible set of base stats whenever I picked up Shadow Dragon. But taking a look at the numbers, Fighter->Hero Cord in particular does seem pretty nice, since it fixes his bad SKL after promotion, although the same is true for normie pick Barst, really.

They've been releasing a variety of trailers for Mario XCOM 2. Latest one is the story trailer, which is like, the funniest trailer for a Mario game, of all things, to get.

Anyway, remind me to remove the paladin from chapter 9. Man's too powerful for that point of the game and makes Muscleman (name pending as I decide whether or not to remove the aphostrophe from L'Oreal) look bad.

1 hour ago, Shaky Jones said:

It was very sad. Saw it the moment I posted. Society will never understand my woes.

My woes are the pain of no one seeing Cord's greatness. But only a few of us can be based. I can take it, unlike Ruben when I called Yubello bad

Shaky, I am probably the closest one here to liking Cord as much as you. Why pick on me?

1 hour ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Yeah that's fair enough, but I like his design and that's probably going to be the deciding factor on a lot of the characters I use in a game with no supports.

Here is the deal.

If I see no Wrys in your team, I am taking away Joshua's hat and making Valter a lover of weak girls.

You accept the deal.

Ah interesting.

Time to join both of them and not post anything.

That's the spirit.

Exactly right.

That's quite a shame. Hopefully when New New Mystery of The Emblem releases they'll add supports.

This... I genuinely can't tell if you're joking or not.

No, Garon.

49 minutes ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

Yes, there're quite a few things main FE can learn from TMS

Put Barry in FE so I can laugh at him for looking ridiculous, as I stroke my combination of Mexican soap opera protagonist mustache and alleyway drug dealer beard.

"Lyndis's been blown up by a Saibamage!"

"We can just reset, Eliwood."

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Well i mean they wouldn't be getting more EXP. They'll be missing out on what they could've gotten had they not retreated.

Maybe, but it feels like not enough of a tradeoff to me, especially when the only games without grinding access are NMotE and DLCless Conquest (and there's plenty of options for Exp in there anyways).

16 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Shanty Pete is the 13th ring needed to tie all of them together for the finale.

Speaking of Engage, will we finally get a version of the FE theme with lyrics made for a main series game?

It'd make sense for an anniversary game.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Put Barry in FE so I can laugh at him for looking ridiculous, as I stroke my combination of Mexican soap opera protagonist mustache and alleyway drug dealer beard.

Garonquest

Alearight

Barrylation

Edited by Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων

6 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

Speaking of Engage, will we finally get a version of the FE theme with lyrics made for a main series game?

Finally

Our battle will be legendary.

Once you get access to the class change menu, you can change people with a few minor restriction. First there are some fixed classes that can't change out of, or be changed into (things like Lord, Thief, etc...). Second each unit is in a class set that has the classes they can freely switch between, being the Female class set (Pegasus Knight, Archer, Myrmidon, Mage, Cleric [Paladin]) Male class set A (Cavalier, Archer, Myrmidon, Mage, Curate, [Dracoknight]), and Male class set B (Knight, Mercenary, Fighter, Hunter, Pirate, Dark Mage), note the ones in [ ] are only available after the unit promoted. Finally in the entirety of your army you can only have a number of units in each class line equal to the maximum number of units you could have recruited with that class line + 1.

Hopefully when New New Mystery of The Emblem releases they'll add supports.

It does, although most of them use Kris as a sounding board to give them more personal attention, unless two units have a VERY obvious connection with each-other.

Also New Mystery kinda improved Shadow Dragon's class change system a little, by combining the two Male class set, although you do have to unlock that by beating the game on a certain difficulty.

5 minutes ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

Garonquest

Alearight

Barrylation

Oh God.

I need fanart of this.

Like, ultra high quality art. Hyper realistic painting to match the Mona Lisa, of the three dumbest designs imaginable.

Ngl Alear would feel rather underwhelming among those two titans of bad design. They really only have the color of their hair, their outfit is way too sensible.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Finally

Our battle will be legendary.

It needs operatic backing imo:

2 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Finally in the entirety of your army you can only have a number of units in each class line equal to the maximum number of units you could have recruited with that class line + 1.

Does it count them if they're dead?

I don't know if that's the case or not.

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ngl Alear would feel rather underwhelming among those two titans of bad design. They really only have the color of their hair, their outfit is way too sensible.

Ghebright

Trails from Zero in a nutshell

Unrelated: I always imagined Gumshoe sounding like Patrick Star but his dub voice is good.

19 hours ago, Armagon said:

Mentally preparing myself for a Founders DLC, which is what i actually didn't want.

That art probably has nothing to do with the founders but unpopular opinion: Founders DLC would be cool.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I mean New Mystery already has Supports. Though Archanea as a whole is still weak on the character front.

42 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

This... I genuinely can't tell if you're joking or not.

I don't know anything about New Mystery, or old Mystery for that matter. Sue me.

1 hour ago, ping said:

Class changing is incredibly flexible in Shadow Dragon. Basically, there's three class sets:

• Cavalier, Dracoknight (only promoted), Archer, Myrmidon, Mage, Curate
  • Knight, Mercenary, Fighter, Pirate, Hunter, Dark Mage
  • (for girls) Peg Knight, Paladin (only promoted), Archer, Myrmidon, Mage, Cleric

Every character that isn't in a special class (like Marth's Lord class) can freely swap within their class set, once you get battle preparations. Everybody has their own innate bases and growths (including 10% MAG growth rates on some random phyisical characters) and they're added to the current class's current bases/growths.

There's some funky stuff with this - for example, Draug is actually a glass cannon with great SPD growth and terrible DEF growth, with all of his tankiness coming from the Knight class. I'm not as familiar with this game as I am with the sequel, so I don't really know what reclass options are actually considered good. I do believe that Dark Mage Cord really is just a meme, even though he's got pretty good SPD. But both Merric and the second Mage you recruit have their respective semi-personal tomes, which makes them way better than any reclassed (Dark) Mage.

So you're telling me that the first f**king Fire Emblem has a class system more akin to Three Houses than Fates?

(Well, 11th, I have no idea if this is how it worked in the original)

Still, that's insane. 

Give me good class suggestions folks, I want this run to be memorable.

42 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Here is the deal.

If I see no Wrys in your team, I am taking away Joshua's hat and making Valter a lover of weak girls.

You accept the deal.

Y-You wouldn't dare!

Alright, I accept your terms, but only if you promise the turning of Wrys into the army powerhouse of this run.

42 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:
Shanty Pete is the 13th ring needed to tie all of them together for the finale.

That would be pretty cool honestly.

It'd be even cooler if the lyrics in question were literally just a tutorial on how to play Engage specifically like the original song

28 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

It does, although most of them use Kris as a sounding board to give them more personal attention, unless two units have a VERY obvious connection with each-other.

Also New Mystery kinda improved Shadow Dragon's class change system a little, by combining the two Male class set, although you do have to unlock that by beating the game on a certain difficulty.

Interesting.

New Mystery probably wont be the game I'll play after Shadow Dragon but it certainly does interest me.

TMS not using this track for it's final boss is a crying shame.

20 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Trails from Zero in a nutshell

Unrelated: I always imagined Gumshoe sounding like Patrick Star but his dub voice is good.

Not gonna lie, I always imagined his voice being deeper and sadder than that looking at him.

Guess I was wrong.

3 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

(Well, 11th, I have no idea if this is how it worked in the original)

It is not.

DSFE was the first with class change at all. My first time I never used it.

It would have made my life easier at a certain point if I had.

3 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Give me good class suggestions folks, I want this run to be memorable.

THREE BALLASTICIANS

Make Hardin a Swordmaster for..... reasons.

Edited by Punished Dayni

Donkey Kong Adventure has enough to stand on it's own (review)

Normally I would not be logging DLC expansions on [Backloggd]. Unless it's something like Torna ~ The Golden Country, which has enough content to stand on it's own (which it does, you can literally buy it standalone), i would just add the DLC to the game itself.

Donkey Kong Adventure, despite not being standalone, feels like it meets those requirements. It's pretty damn meaty for an expansion and it's genuinely such an improvement over the main game that i feel it deserves it's own log. The roster in this game is limited to DK, Rabbid Cranky and Rabbid Peach but it makes up for that limitation with a lot of variety and a shorter campaign that makes me realize "wait Mario+Rabbids was kinda too long".

The lack of varied victory conditions from the main game is fixed here, as you have several maps with different conditions. Like i was genuinely surprised when i encountered a "defend location" map. Even when a map is "defeat all enemies", there's usually a gimmick in place that prevents it from feeling stale like in the main game. The limited roster allowed the developers to really craft each of the character's niches in combat. Donkey Kong himself is easily the best character in the game, including the base, due to his insane mobility options and unique pick-up gimmick that allows for strategies you would not be able to do anywhere else.

The campaign's shorter length does wonders for it. Each world is about half the length of a world in the main game and this prevents everything from feeling repetitious. There's still Challenge Battles if you want more as well. Honestly, this expansion reminds me of Spider-Man: Miles Morales where it's better than the original game because it focused on quality over quantity, removing the little bits that added up to repetition. I honestly don't have anything really negative to say about this game and here's hoping Sparks of Hope takes the lessons learned from Donkey Kong.

8/10

32 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Founders DLC would be cool.

It would be cool if the main story was completely different.

15 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

don't know anything about New Mystery, or old Mystery for that matter. Sue me.

Well here's all you need to know: Old Mystery clears.

Screenshot_59.png?width=1108&height=619

Yeah Mario+Rabbids put me in the SRPG mood. They got a vocaloid to sing the title theme. Let's see if Kaga was able to make a third good game in his entire career.

I'll also be continuing SRW 30 soon enough.

Well, now I want to go over all the Shanty Pete lines:

Spoiler

Quotes in here, I didn't get all of them transcribed so I paraphrased one or two to the context of the sentence the mention is in:

Spoiler

PoR, C3:

Generic Pirate: Yer scurvy brother was the horrid one! He lost a game o’ chance, he did. If ye lose, ye must pay…And the scallywag tried to cheat me! By Shanty Pete he did!”

PoR, C9:

Nedata: Oh ho ho! What’s this, then? Humans battling humans here in Gallia? What in the briny beard of Shanty Pete is going on?

SD, C2:

Gomer: I swear it on the rickety peg leg o'Shanty Pete!

Awakening, Anna/Tiki A support:

Anna: Aaaah, WAIT! You've got me all wrong! I, uh... I'm donating the proceeds! Yeah, that's it! To charities! Shanty Pete's Orphanage gets some, and so does, um...the Widows of Gangrel! Oh, and I'm giving a big hunk to People for the Ethical Treatment of Wyverns!

Sumia/Robin C support:

Sumia: Let's see... Ooh, this one looks like a real page-turner! "Shanty Pete and the Haunted Pirates"!

Robin: Er, thank you, but I don't like to read scary stories before bed.

Kellam/Robin B support:

Robin: La de dah de dum... ♪ Shanty Pete danced on a barrel of rum... ♪ Oh, hullo?! Where did this drink come from? ...Kellam, are you there?

Olivia/Ricken B support

Ricken: C-c-crikey, this story is giving me the heebie-jeebies!
Olivia: ......
Ricken: WAAARGH! Hooo! That was a scary bit!
Olivia: *Yaaaaawn*
Ricken: Um, aren't you scared? Not even a little tiny bit? Not even when Shanty Pete left his hook on the side of the carriage?
Olivia: Er, no. Not really.
Ricken: Wow. I thought you'd be shaking and telling me to close the book.
Olivia: *Shrug* I dunno. I've heard much scarier stories.

Fates, Anna on the Run:

Anna calls out the brigands as sad excuses for in the map for getting Shanty Pete wrong as Jaunty Skeet.

SoV, A2:

Barth: By the mighty parrot of Shanty Pete! What be that racket?

Apparently there's a second line, haven't found it yet.

Heroes, Darros:

By the barnacled blade o' Shanty Pete, this be the cleanest castle I ever saw!

So, from what we can see Shanty Pete is used by pirates as a figure of if not reverence than certainly respected by them. His first mention has a pirate swear on his name about Makalov robbing him. What details we get from there sentences suggest an image of him being a super stereotypical look: peg leg, a hook hand, with a parrot and all (also, Parrots exist somewhere in Archentral according to SoV). Meanwhile player characters mention him as a figure of story and myth in Awakening, maybe suggesting that he is long gone enough an orphanage is in his name, alongside being in story and song in this game as opposed to the others. We don't confirm Ricken and Sumia are reading the same book, which I'm not as certain on because the title makes it sound like he's not one of the pirates doing the haunting which doesn't match what Ricken describes.

He sounds kinda like PotC Davy Jones too considering the briney beard and barnacled blade, but that's probably just me.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

unknown.png?width=350&height=619

God has been dead all along.