Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The names in Engage are stinky just in general. The national naming themes are super on-the-nose and don't even sound like names more often than not and the Emblems' nicknames don't work most of the time because they had to force their game title in there somehow. Not to mention the emblems whose titles don't even match the right games, like Leif and localized Camilla.

Honestly, the nations in general are very on-the-nose. Land #1 is peaceful Dutchbritfrance consisting of lush grassland, land #2 is all mountains, land #3 is icy, land #4 is dry desert, if I recall the world map correctly... Of course, it doesn't help the worldbuilding that the gang is moving from one country to the next very quickly thus far, but the world map reinforces that kinda simplistic structure of four "Lands of {biome}".

Speaking of names, it still bothers me a bit that the French names are all pronounced with the first syllable emphasised. SAY-leen in particular, because that also happens to make the anglophone inability to pronounce an é that much more obvious.

• Replies 180.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Just now, BrightBow said:

ss_bec5ed6f709224ddf8f936223557aabcb6f9a

With the amount of bosses and mini-bosses in Vestaria, I am just surprised he didn't run out of ideas for quotes sooner.

Just now, BrightBow said:

They really uploaded way too many meme screenshots onto the Steam page.

That was actually brought up in the beta-testing phase, but Steam had already locked the store page from further edits, so there was nothing that could be done anymore. It's a shame, because the game is far from having a meme story, the store page gives the wrong impression. What they should have done is upload 10 images of women being victimized. Then they would've captured the true essence of Vestaria.

Hm, one of the first things established about Alear (apart from everybody literally worshipping them) is that they're timid in nature. It's a bit odd that now, after chapter 11, they need to be held back from fighting an unwinnable fight. I would've expected more hopelessness from them at this point.

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What they should have done is upload 10 images of women being victimized. Then they would've captured the true essence of Vestaria.

Especially with Cezar of all people getting in on the fun.

Well, at least the game has Arielle.

2 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

What the hell else was I gonna use that Masterball on? The shiny I was never going to encounter?

Roaming Legendaries. Kyurem and the Swords of Justice (hey that's a movie), all of which have a 3% catch rate.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

, like Leif

Tbf that's because Leif's game has the most "game" sounding title.

1 hour ago, ping said:

Land #1 is peaceful Dutchbritfrance consisting of lush grassland, land #2 is all mountains, land #3 is icy, land #4 is dry desert

Seasons, it's literally seasons. Firine = spring, Brodia = fall, Elusia = winter and Solm = summer.

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Well, at least the game has Arielle.

Arielle is just lucky that her entire family is completely brainless and makes her look good by comparison. She still very much gets victimized at one point, not to mention the time she sat by and watched a loved one die, refusing to use the insanely powerful healing magic that she's established to possess, which is capable of healing death.

...that scene was so frustrating, I swear...

35 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Tbf that's because Leif's game has the most "game" sounding title.

Like Emblem of Thracia would be any worse than Emblem of Echoes, Emblem of Blazing, Emblem of Binding or Emblem of the fuckin' Academy, for a few examples.

35 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Seasons, it's literally seasons. Firine = spring, Brodia = fall, Elusia = winter and Solm = summer.

Yeah and that's a really boring theme

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Like Emblem of Thracia would be any worse than Emblem of Echoes, Emblem of Blazing, Emblem of Binding or Emblem of the fuckin' Academy, for a few examples.

I mean, Genealogy is less referring to the game title and more referring to, as the game title also refers to, the actual genealogy thing. Like how Corrin is Emblem of Fates less for the game title and more because both are named after the whole "different routes means different fates" thing.

But yeah, most do seem to just reference the game title.

Yeah and that's a really boring theme

Three Houses slander be like.

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I mean, Genealogy is less referring to the game title and more referring to, as the game title also refers to, the actual genealogy thing. Like how Corrin is Emblem of Fates less for the game title and more because both are named after the whole "different routes means different fates" thing.

THat's... huh. Who would've thought Leif and Corrin, of all people, would share the trait of having Emblem titles that are okay.

But yeah, most do seem to just reference the game title.

And when they don't you end up wishing they did. Emblem of the Academy, for fuck's sake...

Three Houses slander be like.

Don't get me started, you know how easily started I get

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And when they don't you end up wishing they did. Emblem of the Academy, for fuck's sake...

Maybe it's for the best.

Imagine if they had used things like:

Emblem of If

Emblem of Another Hero-King

Emblem of Wind, Flower, Snow, Moon

Though for Byleth, Emblem of the Three Houses was reserved for the House Leaders DLC Emblem.

Don't get me started, you know how easily started I get

To be fair, I was making reference to how in Japan Three Houses is instead named in reference to the seasons:

Fire Emblem: Three Houses vs Fire Emblem: 風花雪月 | kantopia (wordpress.com)

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Emblem of If

Okay ngl I wish they'd done that instead. That's amazing. I mean, "X us, Emblem of Y!" already throws any semblance of dignity out the window, might as well have truly horrible nicknames on top of that.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

To be fair, I was making reference to how in Japan Three Houses is instead named in reference to the seasons:

Fire Emblem: Three Houses vs Fire Emblem: 風花雪月 | kantopia (wordpress.com)

No yeah, I got it haha. It's... actually, come to think about it, why is that? Seasons aren't a theme in Houses, are they? I suppose the calendar exists, but it's summer all year long in Fodlan lol

Just now, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

@Saint Rubenio

Hide contents

i9mstlezkqia1.png

on spe

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I don't even get half the points on Hyacinth, but that's lovely. I mean, I hate the Garon slander and Hyacinth isn't half the meme that he is, but...

Spoiler

On the other hand, Hyacinth is an 80-year-old crotchety old fart that tried to brawl an armed, heavily-armored, massive mountain of a man with his bare hands and won. I can respect that.

...man, I so wish they'd truly committed to taking the piss and made him recruitable. Just, don't even redeem him, make him playable for the flimsiest reasons. Heck, have him bring Corrupted Morion along as his zombie pet. If they'd done nonsense like that I might actually buy that the game is intentionally goofy.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:
Spoiler

...man, I so wish they'd truly committed to taking the piss and made him recruitable. Just, don't even redeem him, make him playable for the flimsiest reasons. Heck, have him bring Corrupted Morion along as his zombie pet. If they'd done nonsense like that I might actually buy that the game is intentionally goofy.

Spoiler

Veyle's new personal: Zombie capture

Turn defeated enemies into Zombie slaves

No yeah, I got it haha. It's... actually, come to think about it, why is that? Seasons aren't a theme in Houses, are they? I suppose the calendar exists, but it's summer all year long in Fodlan lol

I think because the poem itself is popular and the developers wanted to use it.

Four Seasons. Four Routes. Pretty much. The game has four routes because they wanted to have one for each.

The Crimson Flower of Spring
The Verdant Wind of Summer
The Azure Moon of Autumn
The Silver Snow of Winter

This is how we got SS and VW being almost carbon copies of each other and CF as a late addition and tacked on to SS. They likely didn't had much content for four distinct routes of same length.

Hide contents

On the other hand, Hyacinth is an 80-year-old crotchety old fart that tried to brawl an armed, heavily-armored, massive mountain of a man with his bare hands and won. I can respect that.

Spoiler

Or at least, still have a big presence as an enemy. Even as a Corrupted he should've been used more instead of just being fought once.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I don't even get half the points on Hyacinth, but that's lovely. I mean, I hate the Garon slander and Hyacinth isn't half the meme that he is, but...

Reveal hidden contents

That’s interesting Rubenio, you treat Hyacinth almost like he was an actual character or something.

8 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:
  Hide contents

Veyle's new personal: Zombie capture

Turn defeated enemies into Zombie slaves

Oh, if only... If only.

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I think because the poem itself is popular and the developers wanted to use it.

Four Seasons. Four Routes. Pretty much. The game has four routes because they wanted to have one for each.

The Crimson Flower of Spring
The Verdant Wind of Summer
The Azure Moon of Autumn
The Silver Snow of Winter

This is how we got SS and VW being almost carbon copies of each other and CF as a late addition and tacked on to SS. They likely didn't had much content for four distinct routes of same length.

Ahh, the classic "I have a great idea and I will commit to it even when it becomes clear that it is entirely unfeasible." A rookie mistake. For shame, Koei.

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:
  Hide contents

Or at least, still have a big presence as an enemy. Even as a Corrupted he should've been used more instead of just being fought once.

Spoiler

He was pretty much the same guy, just with what tiny shreds of redeemability he had in him excised. It would've been interesting if he had been maintained as a puppet king for Elusia. Hortensia wouldn't have needed to be Kaga'd as she could've just been bamboozled by her "dad", and Elusia the country could've been utilized for more in the lategame than just "everyone is dead and corrupted, let's go get Sombron."

5 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

That’s interesting Rubenio, you treat Hyacinth almost like he was an actual character or something.

And you treat me like I don't do this all the time, old man. I take the tiniest, dumbest, borderline characters around and grow fond of them for no reason! It happens all the time!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

52 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I guess..? But I don't think the game does anything with that symbolism, so it's just an aesthetic thing and doesn't really add any depth to the countries. Brodia doesn't even seem to have any 'harvest' association, with Firene being the breadbasket of the continent.

1 minute ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

Hyacinth is old and I'm pretty sure he'd kick puppies if given the chance, so I wouldn't be surprised if Ruben was honour-bound to like him.

--

XhKGjBh.jpg

@Edelguardiansing - acceptable? I thought that Bronzor was sufficiently shield-like to be named a noble guard.

Meanwhile, in the second gym, Bugsy might be subjected to flashbacks...

IpslwB4.jpg-sJtVJfr.jpg-8w4Fqty.jpg

...to getting soloed by the Fire starter. Well, with the rest of the team providing crucial turns to heal Alear back up to full, of course. I really hope I run into a cool Grass type (...that learns their good moves earlier than Lv. 70) soon. Poliwrath specifically is a problem, since it even has a super-effective move on Knuffelcthulu / Omanyte. I guess HAL-9001 will do adequately once it evolves into Metang.

3 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Eh, well mostly chronological since I'll be playing the remakes of the games that have them instead of the original, save for maybe Diamond and Pearl where the remakes I hear aren't the greatest in the world.

Literally the biggest problem with the Diamond and Pearl remakes was that they were not remakes of Platinum. If you are going to play one of the Sinnoh games make it Platinum, it improves on Diamond and Pearl in a lot of ways, from literally running faster, changing the gym order a little to cut out some pointless backtracking, making the villain story a bit more substantive, and remembering that Fire type pokemon exist despite deciding to make an Elite Four member a "Fire" type trainer.

Also what do you mean by Chronological, as there is an in universe timeline as well as the classic generation/release date order. In Universe Red/Blue/Yellow take place at roughly the same time as Ruby/Saphire/Emerald, with Gold/Silver and Diamond/Pearl/Platinum taking place about 3 years after; Black/White take place a ambiguous amount of time after that, with Black 2/White 2 taking place about 2 years after that, with X/Y taking place at around the same time, and about 2 years after that is Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon take place. After that things get a bit ambiguous, but it is thought that Sword/Shield take place an ambiguous amount of time after the last game, and Scarlet and Violet take place an ambiguous amount of time after that.

1 minute ago, ping said:

Hyacinth is old and I'm pretty sure he'd kick puppies if given the chance, so I wouldn't be surprised if Ruben was honour-bound to like him.

Wait, does that mean that Ruben is honour-bound to like Wraith?

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And you treat me like I don't do this all the time, old man. I take the tiniest, dumbest, borderline characters around and grow fond of them for no reason! It happens all the time!

I can understand Garon because he is around in Fates for more then just three scenes and actually has this magical thing called screen time, but why a man who’s zombified corpse probably had to be reconstructed from Sombron’s shit?

Ahh, the classic "I have a great idea and I will commit to it even when it becomes clear that it is entirely unfeasible." A rookie mistake. For shame, Koei.

You'd think Koei of all companies would know how to handle routes, considering Dynasty Warriors. The set-up was even there. While not a 1:1 comparison:

Wei - Adrestia
Shu - Faerghus
Wu - Lleicester
Jin - Byleth taking over the Black Eagles just like how Sima Yi took Wei from the Cao.

Okay, the last one is the biggest stretch, but the parallelism is there. With Edelgard/Adrestia as the Cao and Byleth/Church as the Sima. Kinda.

Hide contents

He was pretty much the same guy, just with what tiny shreds of redeemability he had in him excised. It would've been interesting if he had been maintained as a puppet king for Elusia. Hortensia wouldn't have needed to be Kaga'd as she could've just been bamboozled by her "dad", and Elusia the country could've been utilized for more in the lategame than just "everyone is dead and corrupted, let's go get Sombron."

Spoiler

Well, I feel the Hortensia bit works best if she's working under the idea Hyacinth can be brought back (and it does happen, mind you). The whole bit how when she sees his Corrupted form she has accepted that it isn't what she wanted and is ready to sent him to rest in peace again was also great I'd say.

He still works as a puppet king while Corrupted.

6 minutes ago, ping said:

Honor does indeed play a part. Probably.

4 minutes ago, ping said:

Wait, does that mean that Ruben is honour-bound to like Wraith?

I mean, I do entertain his nonsense more than most people here, don't I.

3 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

I can understand Garon because he is around in Fates for more then just three scenes and actually has this magical thing called screen time, but why a man who’s zombified corpse probably had to be reconstructed from Sombron’s shit?

Spoiler

Oh no, but I agree, though. All the monarchs in Engage were woefully underused. A fact that I fully expected, but it still made me so sad.

Also, that's some nice spoilers you're dropping. Please edit that into a box, people have yet to play the game.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:
  Hide contents

Well, I feel the Hortensia bit works best if she's working under the idea Hyacinth can be brought back (and it does happen, mind you). The whole bit how when she sees his Corrupted form she has accepted that it isn't what she wanted and is ready to sent him to rest in peace again was also great I'd say.

He still works as a puppet king while Corrupted.

Spoiler

Fair points.