• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, suddenly I hear a voice and I'm like "wait that sounds like dad, but that can't be" and then he just appeared.

The way your wrote this sounds like he actually came back with the milk.

That's all flights? Must require some pitch-perfect schedule organization. Or there's a thousand bridge things per airport.

FAA doesn't mess around.

And some airports can get massive. Miami alone is basically a giant supermall. Orlando has trams that take you to your gate. 

Barcelona airport in comparison is small and Vigo airport is *tiny*.

So recently I learned that Sunohara's VA also voiced Üso Evin and... yes, I can hear it now the similarities, how did it never clicked on me before, ahahaha...

Vigo is like the complete opposite of Barcelona. Public transit is ass (my cousin says it's actually gotten worst). Accessibility is non-exist. Took a bus to Port Ballona and I just know this bus only swings by like every two hours. And in between those two places, the rural towns here legit look like a South American barrio.

I have a doctors appointment todayyyy, here's hoping to finally make some progress.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

FAA doesn't mess around.

And some airports can get massive. Miami alone is basically a giant supermall. Orlando has trams that take you to your gate. 

As someone who was at LAs airport fairly recently, it gets insane, and the prices are even more insane.

The way your wrote this sounds like he actually came back with the milk.

Well, I was under the impression that our schedules wouldn't align. But my train was so fucking bad he had time to arrive on his own train. My train's conductor was pretty cool, at least, and arranged a seat for him when he explained the situation, so we could travel back together after all.

FAA doesn't mess around.

Big food, big airports, is everything big over there?

2 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

As someone who was at LAs airport fairly recently, it gets insane, and the prices are even more insane.

Ahh, there it is. The downside: Big prices.

2 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

I have a doctors appointment todayyyy, here's hoping to finally make some progress.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ahh, there it is. The downside: Big prices.

Ain't just the prices either. A lot of big airports don't let you use cash to buy food and your bank is going to be very reluctant to allow use of your card if you just came back from a foreign country.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

@GuardianSing Your new sig has Hanneman in it.

I approve.

Hanneman honestly has some of the best supports in that entire game, I wish he had more of a story presence.

17 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

As someone who was at LAs airport fairly recently, it gets insane, and the prices are even more insane

Airport inflation. I haven't checked what the prices are for Spanish airports but I'm sure they are still pricier than average.

15 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Big food, big airports, is everything big over there?

Our beaches? Big. Our military? Big. Our national parks? Big. Our animals? Big (the moose is like the last surviving land megafauna). Our cities? Big.

3 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

and your bank is going to be very reluctant to allow use of your card if you just came back from a foreign country.

I mean you either let them know in advance or you simply turn on the "international card" setting.

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Our beaches? Big. Our military? Big. Our national parks? Big. Our animals? Big (the moose is like the last surviving land megafauna). Our cities? Big.

Your issues? Big.

Just curious @Shrimpy -Limited Edition-, how much have you been paying attention to Ys X post-release in Japan?

I read one English review (no talk of plot/characters, nor music oddly), and it seems the combat changes aren't bad. Flash Move/Guard got nerfed and you can't spam the same skill again and again now (which being a filthy pathetic Normal player, I've done plenty of 😅).

1 hour ago, GuardianSing said:

🤞🙂

47 minutes ago, Armagon said:

While floor space vs. size of the entire building create some uncertainty regarding the exact international ranking, when it comes to the size of houses, the United States consistently ranks in 2nd place. 1st place goes to Australia.

The best thing about Wargroove 2 is that Ryota's annoying crush on Mercia is completely absent. I don't think it's ever even alluded to anywhere. Huzzah!
Granted, Mercia is almost completely absent from the story while Ryota is still very active in one of the campaigns. But hey, can't take that stuff for granted. Just think how Awakening so so desperate that their "characters" remain mere shells dedicated to a one-note gimmick, to the point where it forces those gimmicks into anything they do, no matter how little sense it makes. Like how every single combat line Gaius has is a candy pun. Or even worse with Anna, where every line is a salesman pun, despite this being an obsession Anna never even had in any of the 12 previous games.
Considering Ryota role here is that of being the main enforcer of an oppressive colonial power, he is most certainly acting way out of his comfort zone. Which is good. That's what makes interesting drama, after all. When characters are forced into a situation they cannot resolve by acting in a way they would normally feel inclined to do. That breaks them and forces them to either grow as people in order to adapt or to fail miserably.

Mercia and Cherrystone as a whole being almost a complete non-entity in all campaigns is most certainly quite daring. I admire that. And it's a good decision too. Nobody in Wargroove 1 had much going on between either being a roadblock and/or an ally to Mercia's (very mediocre) quest. But they all come into their own here. With Mercia around, we'd no doubt be end up retreating to a lot of old ground. But as is, everything feels fresh while still coming a cross like a proper followup to stuff that was alluded to in the first game.
Probably why even despite Cherrystone's already minor role, Emeric still has a larger role than Mercia.

Just a really good game. Even Conquest Mode has more going on than what at first appears to be a simple omake.

Edited by BrightBow

2 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Ain't just the prices either. A lot of big airports don't let you use cash to buy food and your bank is going to be very reluctant to allow use of your card if you just came back from a foreign country.

Wait, what? What do you mean, they don't let you use cash? Why would they do that? What's the point? Is this another 9/11 side-effect, are they afraid you'll hide bombs under the bills?

2 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Hanneman honestly has some of the best supports in that entire game, I wish he had more of a story presence.

Ahh, a fellow intelligent person. Glad to have you onboard. Hanneman is, indeed, awesome. Hence why everyone hates him. I'll never forgive Koei for Hopes. Never.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

My happiness for you is big.

58 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

The best thing about Wargroove 2 is that Ryota's annoying crush on Mercia is completely absent. I don't think it's ever even alluded to anywhere. Huzzah!
Granted, Mercia is almost completely absent from the story while Ryota is still very active in one of the campaigns. But hey, can't take that stuff for granted. Just think how Awakening so so desperate that their "characters" remain mere shells dedicated to a one-note gimmick, to the point where it forces those gimmicks into anything they do, no matter how little sense it makes. Like how every single combat line Gaius has is a candy pun. Or even worse with Anna, where every line is a salesman pun, despite this being an obsession Anna never even had in any of the 12 previous games.

I have to admit, you caught me off-guard with the sudden swerve to Awakening bashing. It's like if I just suddenly started bashing Three Houses.

But I won't, it'd be too predictable a joke. Instead, I shall swerve to lamp oil, rope, bombs, you want it? It's yours, my friend, as long as you have enough rubees. Sorry, Link; I can't give credit! Come back when you're a little, mmmm richer!

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Mercia and Cherrystone as a whole being almost a complete non-entity in all campaigns is most certainly quite daring. I admire that. And it's a good decision too. Nobody in Wargroove 1 had much going on between either being a roadblock and/or an ally to Mercia's (very mediocre) quest. But they all come into their own here. With Mercia around, we'd no doubt be end up retreating to a lot of old ground. But as is, everything feels fresh while still coming a cross like a proper followup to stuff that was alluded to in the first game.
Probably why even despite Cherrystone's already minor role, Emeric still has a larger role than Mercia.

Just a really good game. Even Conquest Mode has more going on than what at first appears to be a simple omake.

That was the protagonist from the first game, right? It may be "daring", but more sequels need to do that. Sometimes it works, but all too often it feels like sequels are bogged down by giving the original protagonist too much of a role.

28 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That was the protagonist from the first game, right? It may be "daring", but more sequels need to do that. Sometimes it works, but all too often it feels like sequels are bogged down by giving the original protagonist too much of a role.

Is this RD bashing?

I have to admit, you caught me off-guard with the sudden swerve to Awakening bashing. It's like if I just suddenly started bashing Three Houses.

But I won't, it'd be too predictable a joke. Instead, I shall swerve to lamp oil, rope, bombs, you want it? It's yours, my friend, as long as you have enough rubees. Sorry, Link; I can't give credit! Come back when you're a little, mmmm richer!

Awakening is a fantastic piece of media to serve as a negative example for just about any point. Plus, bashing it is both fun and deserved. In extremely rare cases you get gems like the Hierarch, where things get so bad it's good. But 99% of the time it's just regular old awful.

Bad games can most certainly be quite an enriching experience. Knowing just how bad a game can be helps appreciating all the good decisions that other games make. All kinds of stuff that one might have taken for granted otherwise.

Decided to do some moor reading. Not on outer space, 

septoct2023_n10_almeriaspain.jpg

but a little bit of Andalucia. While Arma is in Spain, it felt appropriate.😄

While I've already read about the Alhambra, which inevitably got mentioned...

septoct2023_n03_almeriaspain.jpg

...I wasn't aware of this (or at least I don't remember reading this). Maybe of the large cisterns, but not of the underground passages directly beneath the 35-mile/56-kilometer palace complex. These were used by ~1000 servants who performed the various tasks needed to sustain the luxurious life of the sultan and his court above. These dull dark passages (which tourists are rarely allowed to see for security/anti-vandalism reasons) allowed the common laborers to go about and do their jobs largely unseen by the elite surrounded by the surface opulence of the palace-fortress.🤓

The article also talked about Andalucia in general, though the Almeria region more specifically. Described as beautiful, and fairly free of coastal overdevelopment has been the case elsewhere in Spain. The traveler-author took note that the locals seem to be on anti-PR campaign by naming locales things like Agua Amarga, Rambla de los Feos, Camino del Cementario, and Playa de los Muertos, all of which turned out to be lovely places.

@Saint Rubenio I don't know if you've any liking for any stories of resistance to fascism, but the article did mention the city of Almeria was one of the last to fall to Franco in 1939. The locals managed to endure daily bombings, in part because 3 miles/4.8 kilometers of tunnels were dug, able to shelter all 37,000 residents of the city from the air raids.

...On the negative side, it did mention that Franco banned Islam in Spain to the day he died, and it wasn't until 1989 that the religion was permitted again. Reallllly had to keep the spirit of the Reconquista & Inquisition alive he did. (The contemporary Spanish Muslim population was placed at 2.5 million (not all being immigrants, some are native converts), with 2000 mosques.)

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

53 minutes ago, Armagon said:

God, I'm so upset. I accidentally left one of the rosaries I bought for my mom at my aunt's house in Barcelona. She's gonna have to ship it directly to her house now.

Oof...

23 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Awakening is a fantastic piece of media to serve as a negative example for just about any point. Plus, bashing it is both fun and deserved. In extremely rare cases you get gems like the Hierarch, where things get so bad it's good. But 99% of the time it's just regular old awful.

Ahhh that's not fair, you brought up the Hierarch, you know I've a preference for that guy. Most incomprehensible character in the entire series, his very existence puzzles me.

Still fondly remember the time @GuardianSing said "I could whip out a character analysis for any Awakening character, try me bitches" (something along those lines) and I replied "Hierarch" and they actually went and did it, the madtzal.

Gangrel good bite me

23 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Bad games can most certainly be quite an enriching experience. Knowing just how bad a game can be helps appreciating all the good decisions that other games make. All kinds of stuff that one might have taken for granted otherwise.

There is wisdom in that, to be sure. I certainly learned to appreciate FE gameplay when I found myself playing five consecutive FEs I couldn't enjoy. Then I played Fates and even the horrible story was fun. Engage can go suck a dick with its lame-ass safe plot points, I want more bonafide gourmet shittiness like Fates. I want another gray man with a concrete beard that turns out to be a goo monster and T-poses on his throne. I'm laughing already just thinking about it.

...Definitely need to swallow my pride and just do hard next I play it, though. Hot damn is Lunatic Conquest exhausting. I'm toying with the idea now, I don't know if I'll go ahead or be swept up into another Vandal Hearts 2 run instead. Or Berwick fucking Saga, though who knows where I can go next after trying to play as badly as possible and failing at that

Hey @Shrimpy -Limited Edition- did you use the Birthright units mod with any other mods? Modding Fates is a massive pain in the ass and I've been struggling to combine it with my other mods. At the rate it's going, I might have to settle for reverse recruitment just because I can actually use that one lol. Which wouldn't be so bad - I do get Izana for the entire game. I could speedrun putting a ring on Izana, girl.

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

@Saint Rubenio I don't know if you've any liking for any stories of resistance to fascism, but the article did mention the city of Almeria was one of the last to fall to Franco in 1939. The locals managed to endure daily bombings, in part because 3 miles/4.8 kilometers of tunnels were dug, able to shelter all 37,000 residents of the city from the air raids.

Godspeed.

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

...On the negative side, it did mention that Franco banned Islam in Spain to the day he died, and it wasn't until 1989 that the religion was permitted again. Reallllly had to keep the spirit of the Reconquista & Inquisition alive he did.

Ah, that one I didn't know. Thanks for the parting gift, you old fuck.

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

What Awakening did BrightBow played again?

I will give him this, the Hierarch is pretty fucking amazing in how utterly incomprehensible a character he is. The pegasus knight too, the one that's unplayable, her name's not coming to me right now. My mind keeps saying "Flora" but I know that's wrong.

Gangrel good though.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I will give him this, the Hierarch is pretty fucking amazing in how utterly incomprehensible a character he is. The pegasus knight too, the one that's unplayable, her name's not coming to me right now. My mind keeps saying "Flora" but I know that's wrong.

Gangrel good though.

Phila.