Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Kaga had said that he designs his female characters with his ideal image of women in mind

was this actually confirmed?

Because i do remember something different - that he hated a certain trend that popped up before FE4 - that also explains how is writing changed from FE3 to 4

• Replies 177.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Because i do remember something different - that he hated a certain trend that popped up before FE4 - that also explains how is writing changed from FE3 to 4

I know the interview. I've linked it before. Would need to find it again...

There's more to the line than what Armagon put, but still...

7 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

The full quote:

"I like strong women, but not just in the romantic sense; I like determined women with a clear goal in mind. For the ‘Fire Emblem’ series, that might include characters like Minerva, Ayra, and Altena…reliable women, basically.
However, even though gentle, graceful characters like Edain may seem delicate, they are in no way weak.
That’s true for every character as well. Although I wrote each character differently to distinguish them from each other, I also wrote them with my own view of women in mind."

He also mentions that he doesn't like the idea of a completely irredeemable woman but added Hilda because people like her exist in real life.

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

"I like strong women, but not just in the romantic sense; I like determined women with a clear goal in mind. For the ‘Fire Emblem’ series, that might include characters like Minerva, Ayra, and Altena…reliable women, basically.
However, even though gentle, graceful characters like Edain may seem delicate, they are in no way weak.
That’s true for every character as well. Although I wrote each character differently to distinguish them from each other, I also wrote them with my own view of women in mind."

🤔

I understand his love for strong characters

but from "gentle no way weak" to chains is ..a bit of a reach, Kaga-san xD

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

He also mentions that he doesn't like the idea of a completely irredeemable woman but added Hilda because people like her exist in real life.

inb4 cult-kun redeemable

19 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

inb4 cult-kun redeemable

........wait THAT'S WHY HE LIKES THE BRAINWASH SUBPLOTS SO MUCH! CAUSE YOU'RE "REDEEMING" THE FEMALE WHO GOT POSSESSED!

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

........wait THAT'S WHY HE LIKES THE BRAINWASH SUBPLOTS SO MUCH! CAUSE YOU'RE "REDEEMING" THE FEMALE WHO GOT POSSESSED!

...you know

That kinda makes sense? XD

More than it being his fetish anyway

Or both

2 birds 1 stone xD

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

1 hour ago, Armagon said:
It's 100% a fetish and this game isn't even the worst it gets like that.

Kaga had said that he designs his female characters with his ideal image of women in mind. Considering how much they get damseld all the time and how much they have to make way for the MEN, I do wonder what he meant by that.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The dumbest thing in the entire game, in chapter 4.

No, Kaga is just a pervert who likes seeing women in distress. And count your lucky stars she gets to flee without needing a male love interest to save her.

Ahaha, it's fine. It happens. Long as you remembered all the important names...

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

The full quote:

I conclude then that it is both a fetish and bad writing. Not just in a "This is misogynist" way but also "This is fucking repetitive at this point"

6 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

This is fucking repetitive at this point"

I assure you, you ain't seen nothing yet. Once Kaga leaves IntSys......it gets really bad.

Sub-Episode 39

• This is called “The Blockade of A Baoa Qu”, whereas Scenario 40 is labeled “Space Fortress A Baoa Qu”.
  • Quattro announces the mission- a raid on a small Zeon base, which appears to be on the Moon. A Mobile Suit factory, possibly with Anaheim Electronics prototypes. Shiro tells Quattro he can take the lead on this mission.
  • The map itself is very simple, just the factory base in the northwest corner. A variety of Zeon units cover it, including Zaku II Customs and High Mobility Type Zakus, but the number is still small.
  • The trick of this map, is that while you can win just by waiting five turns, the implication seems to be that either the enemies will withdraw, or the factory will self-destruct. You have to destroy the 50k HP gate (even a Layzner Lasered Rifle can deal 3-4k to it) before five turns are over. If you win that way, the mandatory-deploy Quattro will raid the base and then you just have to clean up the remaining enemies.
  • After the battle, what did Quattro find inside the factory?
Spoiler

GRWJD9-2024-01-25-20-50-50.png

MSN-4 "Sazabi"! Quattro says he intends to use it.

I kinda wish this had been the Zeong, considering what's about to happen. A usable Zeong is probably next to never in SRW, and being so early in the UC timeline, it rarely in general likely shows up. The Sazabi is definitely more prevalent and I don't even have to play the vast majority to know that.

But, Sazabi.🤤

It ain't fancy. It's just boring old funnels. It's almost entirely monotone. And gameplay-wise, it ain't anything special. Yet, somehow, it speaks to me.

• Then there is a totally-unrelated, pretty random scene where Skade, sub-pilot of Daiohja and Prince Edward's tutor, tries giving a lesson to the Earth Defense Class plus Puru and like Judau's little sister, to mixed results it appears to other adults in the room.

...Now I was going to play Episode 40. I even thought "GC has been pretty easy, I'm going to field this.":

GRWJD9-2024-01-25-21-36-20.png

All Gundam leads + Chris, Puru behind Judau (recruiting Puru Two isn't until next map though even though she's here), Quattro taking point b/c it's my country and your head Gihren!, Lalah behind Char to support him, the Dragonar trio b/c Zeon-Giganos alliance, Banpresto Original because BO, Layzner b/c it's good and hey at least it's Real. Mazinkaiser and Shin Getter Robo b/c the Classic SRW Trinity. And this was cumbersome to arrange b/c GC doesn't let you click two different deployment slots to shuffle units around.

Buuuut, I feel like it's just cumbersome doing this, especially bringing Shiro. And why didn't Amuro get the Nu already?😑 So many enemies, and both Gihren and Haman have 37500 HP Gwazines that retreat at 30% of their HP. Then I saw Hamon, old long-dead Ramba Ral's lover, as she said back at Solomon, she has returned. She even has the Black Tri-Stars still in their Rick Doms. And the northeast corner looks like reinforcements might arrive there too. Break thematics, deploy what's gameplay-good.

However, I have 2.3 million funds, because I still can't decide on my final team. 😆

There has been a maximum of 15 deployment slots not including the battleship so far. Assuming 15 for the endgame battles...

1. Super Soul Saber
    • Likely going to be force-deployed anyhow, not sure if it'll count for 15 or if I actually be able to field 16 mechs.
  2. Nu Gundam- This is Young Amuro's SRW, he is going to the final battle.
  3. Doll
  4. Hover Truck or second Doll.
    • I like having two Repairbots. The Dolls also have Resupply, that's awesome. The Hover Truck is even better, since it has Repair & Resupply + EWAC and a sub-pilot. Yet even with a Thruster Module, it can't be deployed on space battles, IDK whether the finale will be grounded or in the vacuum.

Yet the remaining 11? Not really not sure, at all.:

Spoiler
  1. Braigar
  2. Baxingar
  3. Sasuraigar
    • I find Sasuraigar fun, this is the only game with the full J9 trilogy, and indeed the only game with Baxingar and Sasuraigar. So I feel like I should.
  4. Layzner Mk.II
    • OVA Eiji was new to me, and kinda cool. I like Layzner as a mech. Could use more oomph, yet he isn't actually any worse than the good Gundams.
  5. Daiohja
    • It's only SRW, and I still like joking Edward is a Marth-esque FE lord.
  6. Mazinkaiser
    • It's Mazinkaiser. Crazy powerful!
    • But then, Mazinkaiser be prevalent in SRW. I'll be able to it again in W, and it already dominated J. Not the cases with others here.
  7. Great Mazinger
    • Mazinkaiser 0.95, still awesome in gameplay.
  8. Shin Getter Robo
    • I mean it SGR v. NGR only appears in two SRWs, but it is just Shin Getter, and it hasn't wowed me here. I'd feel sorry to Shou and Gai if I didn't use them though.
  9. Daltanious
    • One of its only two SRWs. Yet I don't love Daltanious visually. Nonetheless, maybe it'll blossom with the late unlocking of its final attacks. 
  10. God Raijin-Oh
    • One its three SRWs. Totally wouldn't watch it b/c its pretty kid-oriented, but I'm liking Raijin-Oh itself. Nice if certainly not original design. I also liked how Akimi had an early established rivalry with Jin, since they regularly saw each other fending off the occasional attack on Japan.
    • Aside- I checked for the BX version of Dream Shift, only then did I see it pointed out that Jin shares a VA with Carla. (TBF, a female VA doing a little boy impression sounds much different than them voice-acting as a young woman, no wonder I didn't notice. Apparently Jin was her first lead role, which may have led Rica Matsumoto to her much more famed role of a young boy who commands electricity.)
  11. Zeta Gundam
  12. Double Zeta Gundam
  13. Sazabi
    • They're everywhere in SRW. Yet they're all nice people with nice, totally capable Real machines.😆
  14. Lalah
    • I find her interesting? And alive here too. Either in the Elmeth or Qubeley Mk. II, the former surprisingly is basically equal to the latter, with the bonus of being able to hit battleships' Bodies directly. -Lalah has no Hot Blood/Valor though (and why Awaken aka Zeal instead of Enable? She seems like something of a support pilot Spirits-wise).
  15. Final Dancouga
    • Dancouga with plot! And Instinct strong!
  16. Tryder G7
    • The only SRW to use any of its plot. Still veeeeery little though. Gameplay-wise I feel like Tryder gets outdone in the later game by every other Super, 5000 power Tryder Bird Attack is nice, but no Mazin Power & thickest armor to compensate for being a single-pilot SR.
  17. L-Gaim Mk. II 
    • It still hasn't shown up yet.😐 I like Daba though. Yet maybe this just isn't his time?

I think I'm fine leaving the Dragonar trio on the sidelines, they impress neither visually nor in combat (even D-3 has been outdone as a support unit, I couldn't believe that at first b/c in AP it was a mainstay). They take up too many unit slots. I could consider Chris (has Sniper) or Shiro (nice lead guy) in the NT-1 Alex as well, it ain't that bad actually, just low on Alex Assault ammo.

I wish I knew whether the final boss is L or LL-sized. LL-sized would make playable M-sized units without Sniper junk at the very last minute, and so far I only have one skill part of that, perhaps I'll acquire a second. But still three of Judau, Quattro, Edward, Kouji and Tetsuya would be missing out.

And, it feels like my final team will end up being almost all Supers, unless I try to balance otherwise.

So, I'll reset and do A Baoa Qu fresh tomorrow.

Will say I was totally not expecting this for the map theme of the big Zeon showdown.:

That's one soulful violin and guitar.☺️

Also, since I intentionally tried not to listen to it when Four joined in the Re-GZ, using Char in his final canonical mobile suit, I finally listened to the other SRW CCA track for the first time.:

Mmmmmmmmh! Timeless indeed!😇

Will be great on the ears as I vanquish Zeon, and for fun capture two additional Elmeths (how strange to see them semi mass-produced, but then Haman's Cyber-Newtypes are using them) and three Apsalus IIIs.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

19 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The trick of this map, is that while you can win just by waiting five turns, the implication seems to be that either the enemies will withdraw, or the factory will self-destruct. You have to destroy the 50k HP gate (even a Layzner Lasered Rifle can deal 3-4k to it) before five turns are over. If you win that way, the mandatory-deploy Quattro will raid the base and then you just have to clean up the remaining enemies.

That's an interesting map objective for SRW, heh.

I kinda wish this had been the Zeong, considering what's about to happen. A usable Zeong is probably next to never in SRW, and being so early in the UC timeline, it rarely in general likely shows up. The Sazabi is definitely more prevalent and I don't even have to play the vast majority to know that.

Well, at least V gave us playable Neo Zeong.

But yeah, it would've been fitting if you could use the Zeong for A Baoa Qu... but then, that's Char's mech, and Char's totally not in the party, amirite?

Yeah, Zeong is a rare find in SRW. It's in... let's see... 1, 3, Compact 1, Compat 2 / Impact, A, 64... hmm, just about it, yeah.

Compact 2 / Impact even kinda lampshades it, since the Zeong shows up as part of Meganoid Bemmel's "collection", as he likes to acquire rare mechs, pretty much. So the characters are surprised to see the Zeong, among other stuff. Despite him valuing their rarity, Bemmel still sends to battle even if they might get destroyed... but it's there.

Buuuut, I feel like it's just cumbersome doing this, especially bringing Shiro. And why didn't Amuro get the Nu already?😑 So many enemies, and both Gihren and Haman have 37500 HP Gwazines that retreat at 30% of their HP. Then I saw Hamon, old long-dead Ramba Ral's lover, as she said back at Solomon, she has returned. She even has the Black Tri-Stars still in their Rick Doms. And the northeast corner looks like reinforcements might arrive there too. Break thematics, deploy what's gameplay-good.

Ah, so much for that, heh.

There has been a maximum of 15 deployment slots not including the battleship so far. Assuming 15 for the endgame battles...

Ah, certainly a tough time deciding on the final party, eh? The VTX trilogy all have 24 slots in the final map, and I already have it decided who to use on all three of them, pretty much.

Will say I was totally not expecting this for the map theme of the big Zeon showdown.:

That's one soulful violin and guitar.☺️

GC certainly not holding back, huh. Well, this is a very significant moment for SRW.

Mmmmmmmmh! Timeless indeed!😇

Will be great on the ears as I vanquish Zeon, and for fun capture two additional Elmeths (how strange to see them semi mass-produced, but then Haman's Cyber-Newtypes are using them) and three Apsalus IIIs.

Funny how we have CCA stuff when using the plot of the OYW. It's the inverse of what you saw in A and 30, with CCA-era Amuro using the old RX-78-2. Well, in 30 it's not quite THE RX-78-2 he used in the OYW, but still...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

@Interdimensional Observer

Oh, wait! There has been a playable Zeong before!

Precisely in Compact 2. Bemmel is actually the source of a couple of secret units, thanks to his whole Collection gimmick. And the Zeong is among them! You need Quattro to defeat the Zeong when it shows up, so you can get it for your team. That said... I think the Zeong is actually not in Impact, for some reason.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

@Interdimensional Observer

Oh, wait! There has been a playable Zeong before!

Precisely in Compact 2. Bemmel is actually the source of a couple of secret units, thanks to his whole Collection gimmick. And the Zeong is among them! You need Quattro to defeat the Zeong when it shows up, so you can get it for your team. That said... I think the Zeong is actually not in Impact, for some reason.

Darned. Because, as translation is a slow process for Super Robot Words, you know what we'd be more likely to get a patch for if either within our lifetimes. (And who even owns/emulates a Wonderswan? The PS2 owning/emulating crowd is much bigger.)

...Although speaking of the Compacts in general.

I'm impressed by whoever did the job of compressing tv/movie-intended compositions into chiptune on a black & white pixilated portable.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Darned. Because, as translation is a slow process for Super Robot Words, you know what we'd be more likely to get a patch for if either within our lifetimes. (And who even owns/emulates a Wonderswan? The PS2 owning/emulating crowd is much bigger.)

I mean, there's likely plenty out there emulating the Wonderswan. Specially if one is a SRW aficionado, since there's six games for it there. Well, technically.

Compact
Compact 2: Earth Crisis
Compact 2: Cosmoquake
Compact 2: Galaxy Showdown
Compact 3
Compact Color

The last two being for the Wonderswan Color. Technically since Compact 2 is more like one game in three cartridges... or I guess you can see them as a trilogy on their own. And Compact Color is a remake of the first Compact. Not just in color, but with tweaked mechanics, expanded story (at least in the sense of there being more lines of dialogue overall), and some secrets are even a bit different between both versions.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

...Although speaking of the Compacts in general.

I'm impressed by whoever did the job of compressing tv/movie-intended compositions into chiptune on a black & white pixilated portable.

I don't know how the Wonderswan/Color compares to the Gameboy (as it's the closest comparison to make), but I think the WS is the stronger one of the two. Compact 3 could even be comparable to the early GBA SRW's in how they play. Compact 3 even had the Pilot Points system, for example.

Then again, the Wonderswan Color's time was the early 2000's, so it was competing with the GBA for attention.

Compact 2 can also boast having this:

The only time this track was used in SRW. Like Mizu no Hoshi, it's caught in legal quagmires that make their use rare to nonexistant nowadays.

I neglected to say it before, but... Remember how I found Thanos in Radiata Stories?

Radiata_Stories_SLUS-21262_20240123001811.png?ex=65c5f76c&is=65b3826c&hm=8f1686fd57a7d480e6ea4cb47116987aa5176e1b9b7bcd5609d4b5829179064e&

@Armagon I then literally found Thanos. He just got his name stolen by some guy and had to adopt a new one.

Also

Radiata_Stories_SLUS-21262_20240125143553.png?ex=65c5f771&is=65b38271&hm=c102170fe9b5f00c3275b78c69cda430fbc538d56b272e4a823db1bfced07c5c&

@Shrimpy -Limited Edition- Figured you'd appreciate this particular character.

I've no idea how to recruit either yet. I did grab a guy with a monocle, though. That was a great victory.

7 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

I conclude then that it is both a fetish and bad writing. Not just in a "This is misogynist" way but also "This is fucking repetitive at this point"

Pretty much, yeah. Of course, there's always the "one person being credited for the work of a multitude of people" effect when it comes to team projects like most videogames, however with Kaga we have Vestaria Saga, which art assets aside is his creation and his alone. And it's by far his worst showing when it comes to women, so.

The boss of the guild said she had "private business" to attend to. Naturally, I did the normal thing and began to stalk her.

She went down a concealed ladder in one of the cells of the guild's basement. Now we're deep in the sewers and she shows no signs of stopping. I have no idea where we are going. Help.

She eventually made her way to a crypt deep in the sewers.

I then discovered I wasn't the only one stalking her. There was also another woman discreetly following her. Upon interacting with her outside the crypt, she initiated combat. I defeated her and she concluded that, if she can't beat me, she couldn't beat the boss. Believing I was trying to stop her from making a mistake, she has now joined my list of friends.

All this from deciding to follow a character down to the basement. This game is actually incredible.

...Oh my God, and as I finally found the other dude's contacts and went to leave the sewer, another character just happened to go down the ladder! Now I need to figure out that this one's deal is, too! Why does everyone love this stinky sewer?

8 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Didn't see that trailer yet.

Her design has no business being as cool as it is.

Coworker: "And monday we start anew again"

Endless now.png

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Figured you'd appreciate this particular character.

Witches are best

Recruit her, for the hat

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

have Vestaria Saga, which art assets aside is his creation and his alone. And it's by far his worst showing when it comes to women, so.

Honestly

The only one that really really really bothered me was Athol

Why make your FL pathetic like this 😭

Or maybe i went in with too high expectations because i expected something like Elincia, but got ... this instead

By far his worst female character imo, and it sucks because the potential to make her great is there!!

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

Found a purple coat in one of the armories.

Radiata_Stories_SLUS-21262_20240126131954.png?ex=65c622dd&is=65b3addd&hm=a4ab1abc54fc1b2c7df58bcdd1d2cfc57ebd36196afa7a29a9a102ac9d10f6bc&

Now that's more like it. He looks like a proper protagonist now! You almost forget he's named after a dog breed.

...I think I've been dicking around trying to recruit as many characters as possible for like 7 or 8 game hours now. Really should get a move on, but I'm afraid that I'll lose characters if I progress the story too much now. Still, I'm decently satisfied with the current gang. There's a couple characters I'd like to nab, but they aren't showing signs of recruitability yet. Might be high time I did the last side quest at the guild and then triggered the next story event.

12 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Witches are best

Recruit her, for the hat

I will recruit everyone that I can, but she's giving zero indication to her recruitment as of yet.

19 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Honestly

The only one that really really really bothered me was Athol

Why make your FL pathetic like this 😭

Or maybe i went in with too high expectations because i expected something like Elincia, but got ... this instead

By far his worst female character imo, and it sucks because the potential to make her great is there!!

Yeah, I'd say that was a case of expectations being too high. She's, if anything, above average for Vestaria girls. Sure, she spends the entire second game being a rock, but she does manage to make it the entire first game without being kidnapped or mind controlled. And she comes to Zade's rescue when she stops being a rock!

Compare that to like, Merida, who can die on turn 1 of her join map if the RNG isn't kind to her, which leads to a whole event where she's turned into a slave, and whether or not this happens she later accepts water from some random shady dude and is kidnapped again. Or Bennette, whose "girl power" chapter and rescue attempt of Phoeve are both ruined when she fails miserably and ends up needing that wooden plank Fauve to save her.