Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Also, Pokemon is a strategy game.

Isn't Three Houses a school dating sim, though? I thought we were comparing Pokemon to it...

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

Is it enough to make you hated in a fanbase? Enough to completely leave a fanbase? :sip:

When it comes to modern Trails, imagine old FE players complaining about Fatesawakening

Gasp! You're... You're the Kaga Elitist in the context of the Trails series! What a twist of events!

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

seriously though chapter 11 seems exactly like my kind of jam

Split path? Check

Dangerous enemis? Check

Some Gameplay/Story integration? Check

Ahh, I'm glad you're enjoying it more than the previous one! Yeah, chapter 12 is really cool. At least I'm assuming you meant chapter 12, because you've already made it past 11.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Cool Music? Check

Clouds of War is top 3 Berwick music. Fact.

20 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Green is real 2(0)4(1).

Considering the original thing turned out to be true... Maybe we should wait and see if Kaga releases Berwick Saga 2 in 2041.

• Replies 180.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

27 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

In my honest opinion, Gen 1 kind of aged like milk. Really a lot of the series did. It just seems so great when you're young and full of wonderment discovering a vast world for the first time... but when the discovery ends and things become a known quantity, there's a lost quality that just cannot be replaced by conventional means.

I know this feeling. And it doesn't apply to just Pokemon of course. Had a similar feeling with FE Fates (and I wasn't so young for this- I was graduated college old). Birthright had a certain mystique first time around due to the new Japanese weapons and classes. And Conquest too, being the first of the three Fates I played, had a luster from the adjustments and additions to gameplay mechanics, and not knowing what lay ahead. Once I cleared it once and knew what all the maps were, and how everything functioned, it lost that magic. Instead it became "well Map Y is up next, and then it's the midgame stretch of tedium", and for Birthright, the classes were now ordinary and I complained more about the underpowered nature of Clubs and the lack of playable Oni Savages.

Then there's something like Breath of the Wild, where after you explore the world fully once, is it ever the same again? I have a fairly good memory, so replays wouldn't be so fun because of this.

And, practically all of my love of FE and my favorite games in the franchise come from the wonder of youth, reaffirmed or to the opposite corrected to an extent over the years mostly without playing them again.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Gasp! You're... You're the Kaga Elitist in the context of the Trails series! What a twist of events!

Yup

A Sky boomer, they call us xD

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, chapter 12 is really cool. At least I'm assuming you meant chapter 12

Yeah, that XD

But first, food and nap because it will probably need my concentration at full from what i saw

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I know this feeling. And it doesn't apply to just Pokemon of course. Had a similar feeling with FE Fates. Birthright had a certain mystique first time around due to the new Japanese weapons and classes. And Conquest too, being the first of the three Fates I played, had a luster from the adjustments and additions to gameplay mechanics, and not knowing what lay ahead. Once I cleared it once and knew what all the maps were, and how everything functioned, it lost that magic. Instead it became "well Map Y is up next, and then it's the midgame stretch of tedium", and for Birthright, the classes were now ordinary and I complained more about the underpowered nature of Clubs and the lack of playable Oni Savages.

Then there's something like Breath of the Wild, where after you explore the world fully once, is it ever the same again? I have a fairly good memory, so replays wouldn't be so fun because of this.

And, practically all of my love of FE and my favorite games in the franchise come from the wonder of youth, reaffirmed or to the opposite corrected to an extent over the years mostly without playing them again.

Funny enough I have the same experience regarding FE Fates, and for that matter Breath of the Wild. I feel something about replay values is easily forgotten in game design in favor of value in the first playthrough. Sort of applies to 3Houses as well, more from the drudge of the monastery.
Mind it's not a new phenomena. Look at Pokemon. Look at Donkey Kong 64 (where the repetition of mini games gets a bit ridiculous). Hell, even Paper Mario TTYD has that goddamn padding with General White that serves to damage the game.
A game which blends a great first experience with excellent replay value is a rare beast indeed... and alas the more tedious bits you have the more difficult the balancing act becomes.

I survived the school work! It’s chapter 23 time!

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Pokemon and Three Houses have a lot in common. They are both about a player self-insert being given credit for the accomplishments of others. Three Houses is just a lot more relentless about it.

Wait who’s accomplishments do you get credit for in Three Houses?

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

And bug only has two? Attacks, and they are so weak that it doesnt matter.

Twin Needle, Pin Missile, Leech Life and String Shot.

Twin Needle hits twice with 25 power each. Pin Missile hits 2-5 times with 14 power each. Leech Life has 20 power.

The problem isn't even that the moves are weak. It's the Pokemon who have access to it. Twin Needle is exclusive to freaking Beedrill. Pin Missile is only for Beedrill and Jolteon, the latter who gets no stab and has terrible physical attack.
Even if we pretend Leech Life had enough power to threaten Psychics, it's only used by the Zubat line, the Venonat line and the Paras line. Everyone but the Paras line is part Poison and Zubat doesn't even get stab.

Edited by BrightBow

39 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Hell, even Paper Mario TTYD has that goddamn padding with General White that serves to damage the game.

It's not just General White:

• As much as I love the theme of Twilight Town, the constant backtracking through large stretches with enemies who can power up to 7-8 damage a hit, and you have to do it once without a partner, is downright diabolicalAnd lets not forget that Boggly Woods before you get to the giant tree and Keelhaul Key before you get inside the cavern are both backtrackers to a lesser extent.
  • Glitz Pit and Excess Express are both great on the first playthrough. I love the conspiracy thrill of the former and the more relaxing atmosphere of the latter, but once you know the story, is there much to these chapters?

I do love TTYD, but one and done, barring trying different ridiculous badge/stats setups, is probably all it can sustain. Not that I as a child didn't have fun with multiple runs. 

39 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

A game which blends a great first experience with excellent replay value is a rare beast indeed... and alas the more tedious bits you have the more difficult the balancing act becomes.

Well put!

I'm not sure which I'd want more. Most games I play only once, so I am inclined to say the former. But, there is something that in principle is nice about a game I could pick up again on a random day and have fun. Particularly with me now running out of new titles that interest me. This is a tough choice.

2 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Pokemon... about a player self-insert being given credit for the accomplishments of others.

I'd disagree, for the first four generations that is. The journey copypasted through the first four generations is very relaxed and pretty much free of worship I'd say. You are the one to confront the box legendary and defeat the evil organization, but how much praise do you actually get for any of it? You're almost invisible to the world and its important people.

Now, the last game I played, Black, as far as I saw it, worked to overthrow the stagnant paradigm of "go to town, talk to leader who says why they use X type and then fight them for the badge, go onto road to the next town, defeat evil team every so often, defeat Elite Four". And when Black/White overthrew this paradigm, I felt, as early the second gym, that there was a lot of newfound player worship, and I didn't like it.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's not just General White, you have to know that.:

• As much as I love the theme of Twilight Town, the constant backtracking through large stretches with enemies who can power up to 7-8 damage a hit, and you have to do it once without a partner, is downright diabolicalAnd lets not forget that Boggly Woods before you get to the giant tree and Keelhaul Key before you get inside the cavern are both backtrackers to a lesser extent.
  • Glitz Pit and Excess Express are both great on the first playthrough. I love the conspiracy thrill of the former and the more relaxing atmosphere of the latter, but once you know the story, is there much to these chapters?

I do love TTYD, but one and done, barring trying different ridiculous badge/stats setups, is probably all it can sustain. Not that I as a child didn't have fun with multiple runs. 

General White and Twilight Town are the ones that bugged me... (I like the Glitz Pit and Excess Express just because they have this change of pace feel to them, and neither Boggly Woods or Keelhaul Key bothered me. Perhaps because I like the whole concept with Keelhaul Key). But of course, I chose not to mention Twilight Town.... for reasons of an incident involving a Crazy Dayzee, and repeated sleep induction in that partnerless segment of the chapter that has left me @Saint Rubenio-esque PTSD (although in his case it's horsemen) for the floronic foe.
Regardless, I find it's a game I can go back to every few years. Admittedly partially to relive memories. I do that a lot.

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well put!

I'm not sure which I'd want more. Most games I play only once, so I am inclined to say the former. But, there is something that in principle is nice about a game I could pick up again on a random day and have fun. Particularly with me now running out of new titles that interest me. This is a tough choice.

I think I prefer replay value honestly, because I do like to revisit things. Sometimes even if things are the same... or perhaps because of it. When life is so turbulent, it's nice to know some things will always be what they were. As unusual as that may sound.

Mario Kart Home Circuit has mirror mode?? H-how....

6 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Me about a certain Fire Emblem game.

XD

Everyone about that fire emblem game xD

6 minutes ago, Benice said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, @Sooks1016! Have a great one!

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Wait, today is Sooks' birthday?!?
Crap, I forgot!

Happy birthday, Sooks!~
Hopefully you'll have a good one!

Thank you both! Seriously. I know I will have a good one because I got to choose where we eat today >:3

6 minutes ago, Benice said:

...Dang, now you're as old as me in terms of years...

Not for that long... you are still my elder 🙏 despite being my forum nephew but we don’t need to talk about that

Edited by Sooks1016

Kqd57RK.png?1

Reduced the former best time by 2/3, means an entire hour.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's fair enough, I suppose. Personally, I just don't think it's worth struggling through the chapter for any goodies. At that point in the game, a supply of warp staves is all you need, and 21x is better at providing that.

Yeah, if you only want to focus on all the important ones (warp, rescue, dire thunder), you can easily do it in 1-2 turns. Still I like to get the one or other rapier, bolting, paragon sword, so I usually take a bit more time with this chapter. I agree with chapter 24 being bad simply because Mareeta can't reach Galzus depending on where she starts. I like 24x for being a staves goldmine, but I agree with the complaints against it.

Edited by Julian Teehee

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And speaking of fuel, besides spending 5k Miranium for 3k fuel at the Barracks, breaking enemy appendages restores some fuel, as does being the one performing Bind. When you're not playing the game and IRL time passes, your Skells will gradually regain their fuel too.

What actually happens if you run out of fuel because i've never seen it happen to anyone? Do you just get ejected automatically?

With regards to Bind, which replaces Topple for Skells and follows the infliction of Stagger on a sufficiently large target, do issue the command "Leave the Binding to me!" to tell the AI not to do it. The AI is as bad at that as Mythra at cooking, worse even.

Oof.

Speaking of commands, is there a command to tell the AI to jump out of their Skells? Just in case i go up against an enemy that might break my Skells.

Police/Dozer/Excavator- KAMIKAZE

• All damage up.
  • Increases accuracy and evasion.
  • ...This Skell loses half of its health when the Overdrive ends.

Well now i know not to use Overdrive with those Skell models.

...And this should conclude all I'd want to say on Skells. I hope it wasn't too much or anything.

Nah you're fine, don't worry.

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Please have faith.

I mean, my response was just me memeing but hopefully i don't suffer at that point.

6 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

cries in Tellius

Tellius does have one of the better plots in Fire Emblem but honestly, Fire Emblem's stories don't go above average imo. Fire Emblem writing gets hard carried by the characters themselves when done right, which is fine. Nothing wrong with characters over story. That's what i prefer anyway.

4 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

That never happens for me, things like gather X amount of collectopedia items never want to swing my way, and that's considering how much I go around and do stuff before that point!

Gathering items isn't as bad at is in Xenoblade 1. The Collection Point method of the Alrest games is still superior but the Item Spheres in Xenoblade X are fixed, so gathering is quicker. For example, you can fast travel to the Dorvan Caravan(?) in Oblivia and every time, there will be like five Item Spheres there. If this was Xenoblade 1, it would be randomized whether or not the Item Spheres would show up in the first place.

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

tbf, Pokémon did not deserve to get as big as it did.

Nah, it's success was well earned, the problem is they don't try anymore. They saw that they were the second best selling video game franchise of all time and figured they could get away with it. Which isn't an excuse because Mario is the best selling video game franchise of all time and (mainline at least) they consistently put out quality games.

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

My most played games these days is stuff like Atelier, Nep, Nights of Azure, or IF/CH games in general (is it weird that I have yet to play a single game by them that I dislike?).

Where does Atelier Totori and Mary Skelter 2 fall into that?

1 hour ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I feel something about replay values is easily forgotten in game design in favor of value in the first playthrough.

I feel that the general rule of thumb is that the longer the game, the less it has replay value in mind. I don't just mean in terms of how long it takes to beat, i mean in terms of content. Mario games generally have a lot of replay value because you can beat them in like a day or two and then get 100% in another day or two unless it's Sunshine where 100% the game is considered a punishment in hell but then you look at Super Mario Odyssey where it throws Moons all over the place and after you beat it, you're like "do i really want to play this again".

Even games that allow to change up your playthroughs, if it's a long game, it still doesn't have as much replay value. Xenoblade 2 is my favorite game of all time but i've only done like three full playthroughs of the game, one of which was NG+.

Edited by Armagon

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Where does Atelier Totori and Mary Skelter 2 fall into that?

Point taken. XD

Though on the subject of Mary Skelter 2, I'm 100% sure the game on its own is great.
It's just Otsuu who ruins everything. XD

I'm gonna be reaching "The Three Priests" in my Berwick ironman today. Hopefully I don't suicide someone against Agvan or Garos.

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

Though on the subject of Mary Skelter 2, I'm 100% sure the game on its own is great.
It's just Otsuu who ruins everything. XD

iirc, you didn't even get that far into the game so for Otsuu to ruin everything that early on is........oof.