Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Do you mean Harvest Moon DS/DS Cute? If so, then that is definitely not AWL if you ask me. Never played it, but I have a guide for Magical Melody that has a section on HMDS too, and nothing is the same besides a bunch of reused characters. There is no aging/life cycle, it's a more typical SoS experience, with a not-in-AWL "plot" of trying to bring back the Harvest Goddess by collecting 50 of the 100 Harvest Sprites.

You're right... to a point.

That's because the game was designed as a seque to AWL, happening around 100 years after the original. Thing is, the characters... are carbon copies of the originals. With only slightly changed names. Like, AWL's Celia? セピリア (Sepiria) in Japan. DS's Celia? セレナ (Serena/Selena). Same thing happened with the FoMT characters too. Like, DS's Gray is named Purple in Japan, unlike Gray like in Japanese FoMT.

This got all ditched in localization. They just gave them all the originals' names, and removed the whole "100 years after", turning more into a proper remake than a sequel.

Some things are still the same. Your kid grows up to the teenager phase, Anna... oh sorry, Nina still dies, etc. Yes, it has a different overall plot, but some elements from the AWL original are still there. Just, not the "play until dying of old age" one.

• Replies 180.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

IMG_20201029_123714.jpg

Context: this guy is really mad that I'm making more money off of data probes than him.

24 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Actually, that's more or less what the PS2 version of AWL did with it's Heaven Mode. You went back to that point in time, then you could play endelessly.

I do know about that version but I hear it wasn't optimized well.

19 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-I could emulate this, but I don't have a controller ATM and I'd want one.

If it's on PSP, I'd imagine you could get away easily with just using the keyboard. So I'm guessing wanting a controller is more of a convinence thing.

43 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

I just got the Robin Lucina S support! Hooray!

Nice. Great support chain, and great confession quote.

cWLPa-.gif

-------

Almost done Mario Galaxy 1. Finally. Just a few more stars and I can finish it up.

Edited by twilitfalchion

13 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

Past medium? What does that mean?

Will it clearer if I say the battle will not end well and done, if you end up well done?🔥🥩

10 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

You're right... to a point.

That's because the game was designed as a seque to AWL, happening around 100 years after the original. Thing is, the characters... are carbon copies of the originals. With only slightly changed names. Like, AWL's Celia? セピリア (Sepiria) in Japan. DS's Celia? セレナ (Serena/Selena). Same thing happened with the FoMT characters too. Like, DS's Gray is named Purple in Japan, unlike Gray like in Japanese FoMT.

This got all ditched in localization. They just gave them all the originals' names, and removed the whole "100 years after", turning more into a proper remake than a sequel.

Some things are still the same. Your kid grows up to the teenager phase, Anna... oh sorry, Nina still dies, etc. Yes, it has a different overall plot, but some elements from the AWL original are still there. Just, not the "play until dying of old age" one.

I don't get why they came up with this sequel idea when it's so removed, Bokumono needs a timeline no more than Kirby or Mario. But thanks for this information.

My core issue with your statement is "AWL DS" sounds like its port of AWL, which it isn't, especially not when they removed the one thing that makes AWL so unique within the SoS franchise. 

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

If it's on PSP, I'd imagine you could get away easily with just using the keyboard. So I'm guessing wanting a controller is more of a convinence thing.

Yeah, convenience; I dropped 7th Dragon on my current computer because I was afraid I was wearing out some keys too fast, and it wasn't the best for my fingertips either.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

IMG_20201029_123714.jpg

Context: this guy is really mad that I'm making more money off of data probes than him.

Why am I thinking the localization team added a cartoon meme here?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

best thing about programming:

All it takes is one bracket, semicolon or w/e to ruin the whole thing and make you debug for hours.

I have good news for all anti-Rean-fans

Spoiler

If only he stayed there the whole game

Edited by Shrimperor

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't get why they came up with this sequel idea when it's so removed, Bokumono needs a timeline no more than Kirby or Mario. But thanks for this information.

My core issue with your statement is "AWL DS" sounds like its port of AWL, which it isn't, especially not when they removed the one thing that makes AWL so unique within the SoS franchise. 

Well, it's not like they haven't done it before.

HM64 takes place two generations after the original (64's protagonist is original protagonist's grandson; same thing applies to the bachelorettes too). Also the way some characters end up in other games show there is some overall universe all the games take place in. Or at least, most.

While localization did try to pass it off as one, there is no denying that some things are just straight up the same. Though truthfully, perhaps reboot is a more accurate word.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Already failed against the first boss of the first chapter. It doesn't seem to be forced to win this, but still. Game tells me to bring opponent down to a certain % of HP, but then suddenly it had a second phase and started with a S-craft which almost oneshotted my entire party. Since everyone was injured, the group was wiped out. Kinda dickish move to me so early in this game.

8 minutes ago, Kasumi Yoshizawa said:

Already failed against the first boss of the first chapter. It doesn't seem to be forced to win this, but still. Game tells me to bring opponent down to a certain % of HP, but then suddenly it had a second phase and started with a S-craft which almost oneshotted my entire party. Since everyone was injured, the group was wiped out. Kinda dickish move to me so early in this game.

Oh no! NO!!! NO no no no no no... I'm never gonna defeat Zurg!

Edited by Shadow Mir

I mean we should all have realised with the series's title that it's about Coldsteel the Hedhehog and how he's so OP and nothing will get in his way /s

I will also press F because I also realise someday soon that happy day will pass.

13 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

yeah CS4 is infamous for that (and many other things)

not only does it do that, but when 50% HP cutscene happens, it auto cures AI from break :'D

atleast enjoy the rean less parts before he completely destroys the game

...You played this game?

I noticed the instant auto cure in the fight of the prologue against Alberich.

The instand curing sleep couldn't be right.

I don't despise Rean, even if he took some (undeserved) spotlight.

Still love the series too much overall (even if Cold Steel III's quality dropped quite a bit).

It's like me loving FE10 despite not liking Ike.

Edited by Kasumi Yoshizawa

1 minute ago, Sooks1016 said:

Sooo is the first exalt supposed to be Marth or?

There are conflicting details about it.

Suffice to say, at some point they were, but it got changed in development. At least, best conclusion to take from the evidence. But ultimately, they're not.

1 minute ago, Sooks1016 said:

Sooo is the first exalt supposed to be Marth or?

No, it's not, though adding such close parallels as they do to him is a silly example of trying to call back that we could all have done without.

10 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Echoes' postgame sheds some more light on this, I feel like, but... SPOILERZ!

I could barely get through regular Echoes, you think I’m interested in the postgame? xD