Feh Channel - September 14th, 2022

Fire Emblem Fan

9 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Well... yeah. I like Lif too (and would like to get him from this banner if possible), but it's bizarre that Eir doesn't appear in this at all. I thought maybe this trailer would show the two fighting, but it was just Lif having a mental breakdown.

Also, his weapon description states he got it from Thorr, but Feh asked if he got it from Ganglot? I wonder if that's a goof or Feh was meant to be wrong there.

I think Feh was meant to incite mystery, her wording is "maybe he got it from Ganglot," it shows uncertainty, just like how she also wonders where Thrasir is.

A nice lineup of Heroes. 

But its so weird that Holst of all people is something as basic and probably underwhelming as a Grand Hero Battle rather than a Legendary Hero. A prince who spend all of book 2 sitting on his ass gets to be a Legendary Hero, but the strongest warrior in Fodlan somehow doesn't?

Absolutely love this new banner and I wish to personally laugh in the faces of all the doomers who said we were never getting Warriors characters in Heroes.

Now we just need the Lemon Twins and I'll be happy. And perhaps them bringing up the TMS heroes again is a good sign of things to come? Like being more willing to use spin-off characters in the future? I can only hope.

I am neutral on Rearmed characters, or to be more precise "apathetic".

4 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

A nice lineup of Heroes. 

But its so weird that Holst of all people is something as basic and probably underwhelming as a Grand Hero Battle rather than a Legendary Hero. A prince who spend all of book 2 sitting on his ass gets to be a Legendary Hero, but the strongest warrior in Fodlan somehow doesn't?

Legendary Heroes are always alts of characters that already have a base version in the game (Fjorm's family is an outlier and they should not be counted) so I don't know why you would expect anything different.

We can still get Legendary Holst in the future as his first alt.

26 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

But its so weird that Holst of all people is something as basic and probably underwhelming as a Grand Hero Battle rather than a Legendary Hero.

Xander.

16 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

(Fjorm's family is an outlier and they should not be counted)

That should be extended to "characters original to Heroes", as Eitri's first version was also as a Legendary Hero. And it's probably less of an outlier and more of "original characters follow a different set of rules".

I am already getting horrible, horrible ideas for Arcane Éljúðnir. My only gripe is that they're debuting Rearmed Heroes along with an Ascended Hero on the same banner. I appreciate that they're giving us two Sparks for it, but dear god my Orbs...

Hall of Forms revival is interesting, especially since the first rerun is one where we already had Forma Souls. Are we finally going to solve the mystery of if Formas can be merged into Formas?

Edited by Some Jerk

OH HECK okay, so Lif is NOT an ascended hero (sorry, Joshua, you're still by yourself in the men's camp) but Hilda is. She looks good, and it's pretty fitting having her show up alongside her brother (you know that that one gambling guy is going to show up in their FB's. For some reason, his name just isn't in my head right now.) Man, thinking about it, Hilda being a do-nothing is a lot like makalov, and yet Hilda's trying to keep a friend from getting too into gambling. I wonder how these four pink-haired siblings would get along. (Can't help but feel like Holst would get pretty mad at Mack for making his sister deal with his gambling troubles.)

Anyway, red looks like a GREAT color to summon on for me! It's nice that fem Shez is the freebie this time, since M!Byleth was the freebie for 3H.

Okay, back to the main thing for me: I NEED THIS LIF MORE THAN I PREVIOUSLY THOUGHT. I'm a fan of Lif's, I guess. Shoot, Flame Tribe Muspell robbed me (and didn't even show up) urgh. Should have saved those orbs. Well, I'll for sure be aiming for this new Lif, but I won't be too upset if I get M!Shez in the process (even though I haven't played 3Hopes yet. I like his design.) But MY GOSH that story bomb! I thought that IS maybe forgot that Lif was working with Thrasir and the dark fairies or that this was an alternate Lif when Ganglot summoned him. But no, this looks like it's setting up for the next book! We may be going straight into Ragnarok next! Here's what I'm thinking may have happened: Lif tried striking at the gods from the inside with his little team, but the plan failed horribly. Thrasir was destroyed, and the dark fairies were either obliterated, captured, made into mindless servants, or whatever else. The point is that they were taken out of commission. Lif may not have even "survived," and thus was raised back to unlife by Ganglot when she took over Hel (or, she could have summoned him to her just in time before he, himself was obliterated.) Now, he's more or less back to where he was when Hel was ruling her namesake realm, forced into servitude. If that trailer is anything to go by, though, he's going to find a way to overpower Ganglot's control over him, and perhaps seek out his other self's help in launching another offensive against Alfador. (That would be in the main story, though, and right now, the focus is on the side stories leading up to Ragnarok, as the gods are dying. The end of one age and the beginning of another... The world's cycle. That's what Ragnarok is.)

Man, if that's what IS is doing, kudos to them! What a great way to weave this lurking side plot onto the main story! MAN I need to summon this guy! I don't even have 20 orbs right now, though. XD

The Mario Kart Tour thread got my hopes up slightly on seeing a FEH channel so soon after the news. More fool me.

That said, this seems a decently impactful set of announcements. Nothing to really come back for (I haven't been completely absent, mind you, I went and grabbed TT Mordy) but it's decent in terms of the long-term health of the game. I've somewhat trollishly in the past said that all inheritable weapons should be equal or better than Prf weapons in raw power (but trade off in terms of having no unique gimmicks) to solve the powercreep problem, this is the closest we'll get to that.

The 1000 Dew is nice, I'll grab them.

The idea of HoF reruns is nice, don't care about TMS though.

Don't care about the new banner - hate Warriors (and by extension Shez) so sharing with Lif is a no-go. Never liked Hilda who might be a portent of the Engage style in hindsight. Momica is whatever, Holst ...funny, this is actually the first time I've ever seen Holst. Doesn't seem to have anything special about him unless that weapon is something truly special.

The idea of continuing to make new unit types every year seems very silly, it's just further complicating things for no reason. Especially since they're getting increasingly distanced from actually having character meanings rather than just gameplay features.

Legendary/Mythic and Duo/Harmonic have traded places rather than stacking up, so maybe Ascended/Rearmed will work the same way once things settle? Although that implies further slowing the supply of Florets, as well as taking a while to make Arcane weapons available for all the weapon types. It also suggests future years bringing a fourth category.

My biggest concern about the Hall of Forms reruns is if we're going to slow the rate of introducing new Forma units, or if they'll be a second HoF event during the months when they show up. If it's the latter, I'm fine with it, although it does imply making the event a near-constant fixture.

Interesting that if someone inherit the Arcane weapon, they can't use it and have a Prf skill equipped as well. For example, if you give Legendary Ike the Arcane Éljúðnir, you can't use both weapon and his Special Radiant Aether at the same time

Also, it shows when Líf is refining Arcane Éljúðnir and... the weapon is 350 SP when refined. Prf weapons have a 400 SP value. So even though it's a 16 might weapon, it still scores the same as any inheritable weapon, so giving it to others unit will NOT increase their score for Arena type modes.

About the banner, I am pretty happy that Shez was added. Interesting weapon he has... it's like the Ninja weapon, plus special charge and damage reduction. He is also great fodder.

Monica looks cool since she penalize units with lower cooldown specials (take that Accelerates Special trigger units). Holst looks to be a nice merge project too. He is getting Atk/Spd+15 Def/Res+5 during combat... his weapon may grants all stats+5, then or he gets another Atk/Spd+5 from the weapon or he has Bonus Doubler on the weapon. Hilda though,,, not that impressed by her.

Curious about Female Shez... This banner doesn't have a demote, and we are getting 2 free copies, so is Female Shez a demote unit, like how Balthus was the demote in the Ashen Wolves banner? She looks ot have Prf weapon at least, and she is attacking twice. She doesn't quad in the channel, like how Male Shez does. So or she has a Attack Twice weapon but she is a slow unit, or she has Desperation effect. The desperation could be in the weapon, or if she is indeed a demote it could be in the B slot.

Okay, I'm going to do a lyric analysis here since I noticed a few paralels between some of the wording of Book 3's trailer theme/boss battle theme and Writhe's song (the one that plays in Lif's latest trailer vid.) Doing my best to decipher the lyrics since some of them aren't entirely clear.

Book 3: Only want one future, only want one world. Only need one answer - let this be it. Throw away everything to bring a dead world back to life. Sacrifice another self. Life and death must balance in the end - throw away the world that you do not need. Throw it away, throw it away, throw it all away. Throw it away, throw it away, throw it all away.

(The above (just the lyrics in the boss music since that's what I could remember with clarity and the version of the song I looked up for rocking out to) is Lif's self-talk during the course of Book 3, trying to force himself to destroy a perfectly happy and healthy Askr for the sake of his own Askr. He's desperate to revive his own home -- so much so that he's trusting in Hel's promise to restore his world if he helps her to destroy another world just like his. Each life taken from the other Askr would restore a life in his own Askr. So, even though it pained him immeasurably to destroy the other Askr, he just kept telling himself that it was for the sake of his own home and his own people. Sadly, this was a lie. Thankfully, in the end, Lif decided to switch sides and ultimately did not destroy the Askr the player is helping.)

Writhe: Everything - I threw it all away. Everything I thought that I could save. Everything slipped right through my hands. Everything lost to me forever. Just one thing I will not lose my (grip on?). Only one thing remains. I will make my stand. Just one thing you'll never take - just one thing. I will protect (the undead?). Do not want my (blood?) but will not hold back. I will not (back off?) (The monster calls?) I have no choice left if you tie me up. I will cut you down - no more mercy. Strength wells up inside like a savage beast. Why must we display ("the true purpose" or "wretched purpose")? I don't have the right - I can't stand the pain. Must get stronger. I must get stronger. Everything - I threw it all away. Everything I thought that I could save.

Okay, so, this is very obviously post Book 3 Lif. I know it's hardly worth mentioning, but it shows the character's progression through the lyrics (or at least the ones I could make out.) The most obvious transition is Lif's shift from forcing himself into going along with Hel's promise to recognizing that he failed at saving his world and taking ownership for "throwing it all away." (Here, it means his attempt to destroy the other Askr and the damage there that he's responsible for.) He's mourning what he did while under Hel's authority, and what he was unable to save from Hel (and possibly, from Alfador since at this time, he's the only one from his group that we know what happened to. No sign of Triandra, Plumeria, or Thrasir, so he may have led them to their destruction behind the scenes and was unable to save them, either. This could also be in reference to the world of this Alfonse if Lif thinks that slaying the gods is the only way to save the world, because he clearly lost that fight.) This Lif has an aura of defeat about him, but his goals matter too much to him to totally give up (as shown by his rebellion against Ganglot, depicted by his fighting her shadowy tendrils in the video. It's also displayed in the lyrics, talking about how he has to get stronger because as he is, he can't win. Another way it's displayed is him saying that he doesn't have a choice but to fight her if she "ties him up." In this case, it's referring to Ganglot's threat to subvert his will since he's undead and she has the power to force undead into submission.) Still, he's carrying his losses in his (figurative) heart, as shown by the echo of the first lyrics at the end of the song. So, even though he's fighting to protect something (the lyrcis there weren't clear) he still can't shake the regret he feels for his actions in Book 3, and for what he's lost (his entire world, and probably the companions he made in the dark fairies and Thrasir.)

Edit: I saw someone else's transcription attempt at the lyrics and that person thought it was "beyond death" where I have ("the undead?"). That would make a lot of sense. If that's the case, Lif doesn't specify what he's trying to protect in the song (probably due to story spoilers.) We'll probably get a clear answer in the form of another cutscene someday, but my guess is (if Thrasir is gone) then that "one thing" is probably the world the player is in, or the player him/herself. It's really hard to tell right now, though - not enough is known about what happened and what Lif's new focus is. We just know he doesn't want to submit to the rulers of the dead anymore because they make him do things contrary to his truest self.

Edited by Mercakete

1 hour ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Curious about Female Shez... This banner doesn't have a demote, and we are getting 2 free copies, so is Female Shez a demote unit, like how Balthus was the demote in the Ashen Wolves banner? She looks ot have Prf weapon at least, and she is attacking twice. She doesn't quad in the channel, like how Male Shez does. So or she has a Attack Twice weapon but she is a slow unit, or she has Desperation effect. The desperation could be in the weapon, or if she is indeed a demote it could be in the B slot.

Female Shez's weapon appears to grant +6 Atk/Spd, so it's (1) different from Male Shez's weapon, and (2) unlikely that she'll be a slow unit. If she's a demote, then it's possible that she's getting the +6 Atk/Spd from a passive A skill instead, but then she's still unlikely to be a slow unit because there'd be no reason to give her the +6 Spd.

Given that the reason why Male Shez has a Meister weapon is clearly the fact that he has two swords, I don't think Female Shez will have the Meister effect on her weapon. I think it's safe to say that she has the Desperation effect.

It looks like we're not going to have a Kris situation, and the two Shezes will be different from each other.

56 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Some attention is drawn to Tracir's absence. Either she's still chilling with Thor and Loki, or maybe Ganglot's holding her hostage.

She's even in the Writhe trailer with the same vibes as Lif's Sharena which is... probably not a good sign. I really hope she wasn't fridged.

Speaking of the trailer though, I initially thought it was a little odd that his sword got so much attention, but if the whole thing was just to market the Rearmed gimmick it suddenly makes a lot more sense. At least we got another look into Lif's psyche, I guess? I really liked the mirroring of Alfonse's motions in Book 3's trailer!

So Hilda's forging bond is with Sharena. This likely means its about big brothers and Alfonse not nearly being so overprotective as Holst. 

With Shez its with Saber and Byleth so its probably about mercenaries. 

Monica has one with Edelgard and Hubert, but I'd say we can likely expect Faye, Camilla and Tharja to also show up.

8 hours ago, GrandeRampel said:

Legendary Heroes are always alts of characters that already have a base version in the game (Fjorm's family is an outlier and they should not be counted) so I don't know why you would expect anything different.

Isn't that more a side effect to legendaries being almost always lords or secondary mains, meaning that they'd all got in the game ages ago?

Stats [SPOILERS]:

Spoiler

kf0spofus4o91.png

Rearmed Lif
Super Asset(s): Atk
Super Flaw(s): HP, Spd, Def, Res

Ascended Hilda
Super Asset(s): Atk, Spd
Super Flaw(s): Res

M!Shez
Super Flaw(s): HP, Res

F!Shez
Super Flaw(s): HP

Monica
Super Asset(s): Atk, Spd, Def
Super Flaw(s): HP

Holst
Super Asset(s): Spd, Res
Super Flaw(s): Atk

Skill sets for F!Shez and Holst [SPOILERS]:

I put this in the general Q&A thread too, but since this doubles as the Banner thread as well...

I got a -Atk/+Spd Lif from the Three Hopes banner (because of course those are the IVs I got) before hitting either Spark. Is it worth trying to get another copy, or even going up to the first Spark just to get as many copies of him as possible, given how his sword works?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

@DefyingFates

I think that depends on things like if you're saving orbs for something else or how much you want to invest in Lif/use his skills and such. (I'm perpetually low on orbs, so I stopped after pulling my 2nd one.) That said, Lif's not going into the general summoning pool, and who knows when he'll be available again? Also, trait fruit is a thing if you really want to switch around his boons and banes. So, using this knowledge, I hope that helps you decide what's important to you and thus what to do. 🙂

9 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

That said, Lif's not going into the general summoning pool, and who knows when he'll be available again?

That's what worries me xD I was thinking I could get a second copy at the very least (and hey, I wouldn't mind a M!Shez along the way) but don't really have many people who could actually use his fodder 😕

That's why I wanted to get everyone's opinions in the two weeks that the banner's still running for, and that's one vote for pulling further, thank you for your input!

On 9/15/2022 at 12:30 AM, Ice Dragon said:

Crimson War-Axe is "朱傭兵の戦斧" (shu-yōhei no senpu), "Crimson Mercenary's Battle-Axe". "戦斧" (senpu), "battle-axe", can also be pronounced "ikusa-ono".

I realized while leveling up my new units in the special training maps today that I completely forgot to add Shez's weapon to the translation notes.

38 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Is there a particular pun here, please? Or did you just want to warn us that there was an alternate pronounciation?

Just an alternate pronunciation. Most Japanese compound words are pronounced using on'yomi (Chinese-derived) readings with only some compound words being pronounced using kun'yomi (native Japanese) readings, but there are a few, like here, that can be pronounced either way. It's impossible for me to determine which pronunciation was intended or if one was intended over the other at all, so I'm just favoring the on'yomi reading in the main entry and including the kun'yomi reading in the follow-up notes.

39 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Just an alternate pronunciation. Most Japanese compound words are pronounced using on'yomi (Chinese-derived) readings with only some compound words being pronounced using kun'yomi (native Japanese) readings, but there are a few, like here, that can be pronounced either way. It's impossible for me to determine which pronunciation was intended or if one was intended over the other at all, so I'm just favoring the on'yomi reading in the main entry and including the kun'yomi reading in the follow-up notes.

Thank you very much! Alternate readings make learning kanji so frustrating...