New Heroes: Rearmed Eitr & Rearmed Alcryst

Huh. I was sure Yunaka was a lock for the Brodia banner. Her absence aside it’s a very solid banner. Diamante and Alcryst are heavy hitters, while team Alcryst has one of the better dynamics so the girls joining their boss is nice.

Its strange Citrine is a green Wind mage since lightning was her element of choice in Engage.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diamant's Fair-Fight Blade got Slaying, true damage, flat damage reduction, null damage reduction (on both sides), Null Follow-Up (on both sides), increases natural follow-up threshold by 20, cool down count -1 before combat on player phase, offensive tempo on enemy phase, and healing on Special trigger on enemy phase. I am not sure if excluding area-of-effect Specials applies to true damage and flat damage reduction, or just to flat damage reduction. He seems pretty unique, but does not seem great though.

Citrinne's Tome of Luxuries got Slaying, double Quickened Pulse, guaranteed follow-up as status, grants unit's bonus statuses to allies (excluding movement+1 and Pathfinder), and true damage. Her most relevant effect would be passing on her bonuses to her allies.

Spoiler

BONUS STATUSES GRANTABLE

BONUS DOUBLER
Ardent Durandal (Eliwood: Blazing Knight; Citrinne have highest Atk on team)
Inborn Idealism (Eliwood: Pledged Friend; requires dragon/beast ally on team, Citrinne have highest Atk on team)

CANCEL AFFINITY
Punishment Staff (Maribelle)

CANTO
Kindling Taiko (Tana: Soothing Warmth)
Vision of Arcadia (Eliwood: Blazing Knight; Citrinne have highest Atk on team)

CHARGE
Libération (Alear: Dragon Child, Alear: Dragon: Youth; Citrinne Ally Support)

DODGE
Spd Smoke (if Citrinne was attacked on previous Enemy Phase)
Ilian Merc Lance (Noah; Citrine Ally Support)

DUAL STRIKE
Inseverable Spear (Cordelia: Unyielding Snow)

EN GARDE
Shadow Breath (Medeus: Earth-Dragon King)

FOE PENALTY DOUBLER
Panic Smoke (if Citrinne or ally near her was attacked on previous Enemy Phase)

GRAND STRATEGY
Master's Tactics (Robin: Exalt's Other Half)

NULL FOLLOW-UP
Celestial Globe (Linde: Bound by Fate)
Silent Power (Lilith: Silent Brooding; Citrinne Ally Support)
Inf. Null Follow
Inf. Spd Tactic

NULL PANIC
Rouse
Desert-Tiger Axe (Gerik)
Vision of Arcadia (Eliwood: Blazing Knight; Citrinne have highest Atk on team)
Order's Restraint (Ashera)
Inborn Idealism (Eliwood: Pledged Friend; have dragon/beast ally on team, Citrinne have highest Atk on team)

RESONANCE: BLADES / RESONANCE: SHIELDS
Opened Domain (Askr, Askr: Renewed Gods)

TRIANGLE ATTACK
Wedding Bell Axe (Catria: Azure Wing Pair)

EFFECTIVE AGAINST DRAGONS
Divine Fang (Naga)

FOE CANNOT MAKE FOLLOW-UP ATTACK
Atk Smoke (if Citrinne was attacked on previous Enemy Phase)
Diplomacy Staff (August; 1+ ally on team defeated, Citrinne Ally Support)
Seiðr (Seiðr)

NEUTRALIZES FOE'S BONUSES
Ilian Merc Lance (Noah; Citrinne Ally Support)
Wolfpup Fang (Velouria; Cirtinne Ally Support)

NEUTRALIZES UNIT'S PENALTIES
Desert-Tiger Axe (Gerik)

REDUCES DAMAGE FROM AREA-OF-EFFECT SPECIALS
Brilliant Starlight (Gotoh)

SPECIAL COOLDOWN CHARGE +1
Oracle's Breath (Nah)
Rallying Cry (Hinoka: Thundering Wings)
Dauntless (Summoner Duals)

UNIT CAN MOVE TO A SPACE ADJACENT TO AN ALLY WITHIN 2 SPACES
Oath
Inseverable Spear (Cordelia: Unyielding Snow)
Veðrfölnir's Egg (Veronica: Spring Princess)
Wedding Bell Axe (Catria: Azure Wing Pair)
Ground Orders
Tandem Form (Summoner Duels)

UNIT CANNOT BE SLOWED BY TERRAIN
Celestial Globe (Linde: Bound by Fate)

UNIT MAKES A GUARANTEED FOLLOW-UP ATTACK
Tome of Luxuries (Citrinne)
Crimean Scepter (Elincia: Devoted Queen)
Diplomacy Staff (August; 1+ ally on team defeated, Citrinne Ally Support)
Divine Fang (Naga)

— — — — — — —

Bonus Statuses Not Grantable Yet
Desperation
Dominance
Hexblade
Treachery
Vantage
Warp Bubble

Bonus Statuses Probably Never Grantable
Fallen Star
Neutralizes Effective Against Dragon Bonuses
Iote's Shield
Svallin Shield

Bonus Statuses Never Grantable
Pathfinder
Movement+1

Alcryst's Arcane Darkbow got Slaying, neutralize penalties, Null Follow-Up, and Desperation, and his Get Behind Me! got Tempo. Seems like your typical nuke. Flash Sparrow looks nice.

Eitr's Arcane Nihility got true damage and Null Follow-Up, and her Power of Nihility got charge +1 and healing on Special trigger. Seems like a Galeforcer. Beast Sense is cool.

15 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Fair-Fight Blade is "真っ向勝負の剛剣" (makkō shōbu no gōken), "Sturdy Sword For Face-to-Face Confrontation". Anything but "sword".

Not sword/10 😂 Skimming the list of swords on the wiki, I want to say the most recent sword with the word in the name is BylethF's Captain Sword?

16 hours ago, Xenomata said:

It actually specifically says including stat bonuses in the trailer.

You can thank the localization team for being inconsistent with how they handled the term "bonus". There's [Bonus] that refers to status effects like NFU/Dodge and then there's the field buff bonus, the blue numbers in the view unit screen when a stat is buffed by Rally/Hone/Fortify etc. For reference, in case anyone's curious, [Bonus] is [有利な状態] (translation: "advantageous condition") and field buff bonus is 強化 ("strengthening"; thank you @Ice Dragon for the correction) in Japanese but both of these are grouped under "bonus" in English, thus the usage has lead to confusion. 

I usually don't watch the English trailer but I noticed "stat bonus" was used to refer to field buff bonuses in Citrine's weapon. It's been a while since I've paid attention to the English skill description but apparently the term has existed as early as Eirika's refine? Wouldn't surprise me if the term has been used since the beginning.     

Slightly related but this reminds me of when someone inherited Assault Troop onto Amelia but it didn't trigger Grado Poleax's in combat buff. 

Spoiler

Edited by Flying Shogi

39 minutes ago, Flying Shogi said:

Not sword/10 😂 Skimming the list of swords on the wiki, I want to say the most recent sword with the word in the name is BylethF's Captain Sword?

Kid Eliwood also got "Sword" in his weapon's name.

But yeah aside from him and Fallen F!Byleth, the English translation really has been (mostly) avoiding using "Sword", usually in favor of "Blade":

Spoiler

Crimson Blades (M!Shez)
Gladiator's Sword (Holst)
Blade of Favors (Gregor)
Wyvern Katana+ (Ninja Haar)
Liberation (F!Alear, M!Alear)
Monarch Blade (Lumera)
Petalfall Blade+ (Day of Devotion Hana)
Queensblade (Lucia)
Frelian Blade (Syrene)
Fiery War Sword (Kid Eliwood)
Lone Wolf (Felix)
Arcane Devourer (Fallen Chrom)
Captain's Sword (Fallen F!Byleth)
Bridal Blade+ (Bride Flavia)
Vassal-Saint Steel (Ascended Fir)
Surfer's Spire (Summer F!Shez)
Ice-Bound Brand (Summer Fjorm)
Fair-Fight Blade (Diamant)

Though while we're talking about blades, I like how they just had to make sure Lapis was depicted with an Iron Blade in her art. For those who haven't played Engage, for some reason IS decided to have Lapis be the character to introduce "Smash" weapons (which an Iron Blade is in Engage) even though Smash weapons are typically pretty heavy and Lapis is a typical girl myrmidon (which is to say, her Build starts very low and she only has a 5% growth in Build).

23 minutes ago, Flying Shogi said:

It is, but that's because the weapon's name is taken from the Knight-Captain's Sword from Three Hopes, which has the same name in Japanese as Heroes's Captain Sword and has the same design and presumably had its name shortened due to length constraints.

29 minutes ago, Flying Shogi said:

I usually don't watch the English trailer but I noticed "stat bonus" was used to refer to field buff bonuses in Citrine's weapon. It's been a while since I've paid attention to the English skill description but apparently the term has existed as early as Eirika's refine? Wouldn't surprise me if the term has been used since the beginning.     

Slightly related but this reminds me of when someone inherited Assault Troop onto Amelia but it didn't trigger Grado Poleax's in combat buff.

In English descriptions, "bonus" always refers to stat bonuses only and "【Bonus】" refers to all positive status effects.

In Japanese, the former is "強化" (kyōka), "strengthening", and the latter is "【有利な状態】" (yūri na jōtai), "advantageous condition".

My mistake, though, was the fact that I don't actually remember which between "除く" (nozoku), "to exclude", and "含む" (fukumu), "to include", is which off the top of my head, and I typically just use the particle used for the direct object as a heuristic.

"除く" typically uses "~は除く" (~ wa nozoku) with "は" (wa) indicating contrast, whereas "含む" typically uses "~も含む" (~ mo fukumu) with "も" (mo) specifically emphasizing inclusion (translates into English as "also").

Citrinne's weapon's effect uses "を" (o), which is neutral, so my heuristic paired it with "to exclude" instead of "to include".

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

In English descriptions, "bonus" always refers to stat bonuses only and "【Bonus】" refers to all positive status effects.

In Japanese, the former is "強化" (kyōka), "strengthening", and the latter is "【有利な状態】" (yūri na jōtai), "advantageous condition".

I just realized that I mixed up 増加 with 強化 :facepalm: Thank you for the correction. Fixed my original comment.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

My mistake, though, was the fact that I don't actually remember which between "除く" (nozoku), "to exclude", and "含む" (fukumu), "to include", is which off the top of my head, and I typically just use the particle used for the direct object as a heuristic.

This is a case where I let Chinese take over. My Chinese isn't great but 除 and 含 are words I do know so when I see words like 除く and 含む where it's one Kanji followed by kana, sometimes I go the lazy route and just take the Chinese meaning if they have the same meaning. It's not often I rely on Chinese when I read Japanese but it's something my brain does sometimes.

I do have to say this part of Citrine's weapon

周囲2マスの味方に、自分が受けている「移動+1」、「天駆の道」を除く「有利な状態」(強化を含む) を付与

threw me for a loop when I read it. I was skimming the description so my brain skipped over the [Movement +1] and [Pathfinder] statuses and then proceeded to wonder why they bothered to mention those 2 statuses when it's going to just spread [Bonus] statuses to other units.

Edited by Flying Shogi

1 hour ago, Flying Shogi said:

This is a case where I let Chinese take over. My Chinese isn't great but 除 and 含 are words I do know so when I see words like 除く and 含む where it's one Kanji followed by kana, sometimes I go the lazy route and just take the Chinese meaning if they have the same meaning. It's not often I rely on Chinese when I read Japanese but it's something my brain does sometimes.

Despite the fact that I'm technically a native speaker of Chinese, I almost never have to speak or read the language (my parents speak to me in Chinese and I respond in English), so I'm basically illiterate in Chinese and have been using Japanese to brush up on my Chinese rather than the other way around.

I don't recall ever learning those two characters in either language (despite knowing both words in Chinese, I never learned how to write them), and so even though I see them used often enough in Heroes, they somehow haven't managed to stick, probably because the heuristic is sufficiently accurate.

Mage flier is good. Would probably have preferred another colour given Aversa is the only other F2P mage flier but it's been a long enough time between drinks that any colour is welcome. Figures that I have a few Arcane Eclipses to give out but she won't need it.

4 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Despite the fact that I'm technically a native speaker of Chinese, I almost never have to speak or read the language (my parents speak to me in Chinese and I respond in English), so I'm basically illiterate in Chinese and have been using Japanese to brush up on my Chinese rather than the other way around.

I don't recall ever learning those two characters in either language (despite knowing both words in Chinese, I never learned how to write them), and so even though I see them used often enough in Heroes, they somehow haven't managed to stick, probably because the heuristic is sufficiently accurate.

Finally, I'm not the only one lol

Technically I'm a native speaker of Chinese as well but since almost nothing in my life requires me to use the language other than talking with my parents, I can go a long time without using Chinese if I allowed it so I kinda have get it via Kanji. People go silent when I tell them I learn Chinese through Japanese. Just don't make me physically write Chinese/Kanji though; put a piece of paper in front of me and all of it goes out the window. I manage fine for the most part when I'm the mood to physically write Chinese/Kanji (by having a dictionary app open the whole time) but certain words that stack vertically like 事 or stretch horizontally like 興 usually don't look right when I attempt to write them. It's probably because I wasn't required to write physically outside of homework/tests so once I had the option to start typing Chinese/Japanese, I kinda just stuck with it.

Edited by Flying Shogi

Stats and skill kits for Lapis and Zephia [SPOILERS]:

Spoiler

eitr-more-lvl-1-and-40-stats-v0-7hr52ksk

Eitr
Super Asset(s): Spd, Def
Super Flaw(s): HP, Atk, Res

Alcryst
Super Asset(s): Atk, Res
Super Flaw(s): HP, Spd

Diamant
Super Asset(s): Atk, Spd
Super Flaw(s): Def

M!Alear
Super Asset(s): Atk, Spd
Super Flaw(s): HP, Res

Citrinne
Super Asset(s): Atk, Def
Super Flaw(s): HP, Spd, Res

Lapis
Super Asset(s): Spd
Super Flaw(s): Atk, Def

Zephia
Super Asset(s): Atk, Res
Super Flaw(s): Spd

Skill info: https://www.reddit.com/r/FireEmblemHeroes/comments/152oltx/lapis_and_zephia_skill_rarity_flash_sparrow_beast/
The info is the pinned comment by VagueClive because the Imgur link is currently broken.

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Yikes! Alcryst got the lame summoner support. Why on earth do they keep doing that? Forging Bonds only became a decent mode when they stopped doing that, but for some reason they occasionally insist on bringing it back.

For some reason they insist on bringing back the original format specifically for Forging Bonds with new games. They did it with Three Houses too.
I guess to avoid possible spoilers for their newest game, but I think we can all agree talking to a faceless brick wall is lame...

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Yikes! Alcryst got the lame summoner support. Why on earth do they keep doing that? Forging Bonds only became a decent mode when they stopped doing that, but for some reason they occasionally insist on bringing it back.

It's not just the summoner, he starts finding other people to annoy in the B support. But also wow, what an unpleasant character. Was he this bad in the original game?

7 minutes ago, Othin said:

It's not just the summoner, he starts finding other people to annoy in the B support. But also wow, what an unpleasant character. Was he this bad in the original game?

Pretty much. He is actually a great unit in Engage, but his personality is... not for everyone.

I think I deployed him a grand total of one time after his introduction chapter. More patient people than me might persevere with characters until they "redeem" themselves in their A-supports but frankly I haven't even cared enough about any character to intentionally build any supports in the first place. And now in Heroes he comes with the additional bonus of bad art.

I don't know if bow-locked units are any good in Engage, but I've been content with just leaving it to Warrior Boucheron and default Fogado to do my archery duties. Can't afford to buy and refine another Longbow anyway.

On 7/17/2023 at 1:57 AM, Ice Dragon said:

Defier's Sword is "守備逆用の剣" (shubi gyakuyō no ken), "Def-Exploit Sword". It's an actual sword this time.

Heidr's epithet, "Cursed Goddess", is "呪われし女神" (norowareshi megami), "Cursed Goddess".

Golden Curse is "黄金の蛇の呪い" (ōgon no hebi no noroi), "Curse of the Gold Serpent".

Added Lapis's weapon, which is, in fact, actually a sword, and Heidr's epithet and weapon from the story chapters.

6 hours ago, Xenomata said:

For some reason they insist on bringing back the original format specifically for Forging Bonds with new games. They did it with Three Houses too.
I guess to avoid possible spoilers for their newest game, but I think we can all agree talking to a faceless brick wall is lame...

I can't help but notice that last time the younger royal got stuck with the avatar too. Since IS loves its patterns Hortensia and Fogado are in danger of getting shafted too.

Now Alcryst annoying other characters in his B support is an improvement over Celine's plight, but one avatar support is already one too many. And if you start out talking to a brick wall it possible the last bond chain is also a summoner support.

On the note of using Alcryst in Engage, I only really did because he was better than Etie... and then a different archer appeared (mounted no less) and I decided to drop Al for them. Not naming names just in case it's a spoiler, but if you know you know.

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

I think I deployed him a grand total of one time after his introduction chapter. More patient people than me might persevere with characters until they "redeem" themselves in their A-supports but frankly I haven't even cared enough about any character to intentionally build any supports in the first place. And now in Heroes he comes with the additional bonus of bad art.

I don't know if bow-locked units are any good in Engage, but I've been content with just leaving it to Warrior Boucheron and default Fogado to do my archery duties. Can't afford to buy and refine another Longbow anyway.

I like his art in a vacuum, but combined with his lines, his face feels like a warning sign to flinch away from whatever rant he's about to go on.

I would like to clarify that Alcryst isn’t always like that in Engage. He does have genuinely good moments (like in the spoilertastic Chapter 10) and isn’t always taking the piss out of himself. But naturally, Heroes chose to flanderize him like so many others (like Leo, who may as well just be the tomato boy in FEH).

Meanwhile in the Fell Xenologue [SPOILERS, just in case]:

Spoiler

The Alcryst depicted there is the polar opposite and essentially acts like Kempf (and others of his ilk).

In my Engage playthrough, I remember noting that Alcryst is a great character ... when he's not loathing himself like there's no tomorrow. The self-loathing can be quite excessive, and he's very lucky that the other half of him is decently written (otherwise I'd feel the same way about him as I do Marianne and Bernadetta).

Unfortunately, the Forging Bonds decided to focus solely on the parts where he hates himself, making him come off as 100x more annoying than he actually is in the game. Although I guess I shouldn't be surprised, Alfred doesn't talk about his muscles NEARLY that much in Engage either.

tl;dr

Alcryst isn't supposed to be that annoying. Heroes writing is just bad.

Yeah. Heroes forces his personality too much. He is not 100% annoying in Engage.

I confess I don't remember many of his supports though, but the little he appeared in story cutscenes he was alright. But I believe his supports is where that this side of him appears the most.

It's like Céline in Engage. Céline during the story is quite nice, but then 90% of her supports is about having tea and talking about having tea. Kinda boring, tbh.

If the forging bond focussed on Alcryst's drive to protect those closes to him despite his meekness he'd come off a lot better. I think that's also the bigger point to his character rather than ''I'm sooo worthless!!!!''. There's a reason Alcryst's retainers love him so much, but you'd not find it in this forging bond.