Freyr: Dream-King: Mythic Hero Battle

Xenomata

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F2CQBDuboAAZgHW?format=png&name=orig

Near the end of Book IV in Fire Emblem: Heroes, the King of Ljósálfheimr and brother to Freya met his end in order to weaken her. Now he has awakened from his eternal slumber once more.

Dream Horn's trigger condition is for Freyr to be above 25% of his max HP. When this condition is met, he inflicts a penalty onto his foes equal to 50% of the highest total bonuses among himself and nearby allies plus 6. On average, this will usually mean a -12 penalty from his own skills. He also gains a Guaranteed Follow-Up and reduces all incoming damage by 30%. He will also have the new Beast Cav transformation effect while in his transformed state, inflicting a further penalty equal to the number of spaces traveled by the initiator of combat +3, and then reduces the damage of his foes first attack by 30% if more than two spaces were traveled.

Dream Deliverer triggers if there is an ally within 2 spaces of him. When it does, any penalties that would have been inflicted on allies within 2 spaces of himself (or himself) will be neutralized, and then once his own turn starts he will grant Def/Res +6 and the Resonance: Shields to himself and those same nearby allies (Res: Shields granting Def/Res +4 and denying the follow-up attack of the first foe to attack him in either phase). If he is within 3 spaces of an ally when he enters combat, Freyr also gains Def/Res +4 and Guard effects.

Freyr's Special of choice is Ignis, adding 80% of his Def stat as damage on triggering, and frankly he is going to be dealing a LOT of damage when this triggers. Atk/Def Clash 4 scales based on how many spaces were moved by the initiator of combat, and adds an Atk/Def penalty neutralization effect to Freyr if the number of spaces moved is 2 or more. Lull Atk/Def 4 inflicts a penalty onto his enemies Atk and Def equal to 4 plus the number of Bonus effects (excluding stat bonuses) currently granted to his foe, as well as neutralizing boosts to his opponents Atk and Def.
On Abyssal, attacks from Tome wielders are not going to be quite as effective with the Deflect Magic sacred seal decreasing the damage of attacks from the second onward by a whopping 80%.

Freyr is no longer unarmed. He means to absorb every attack you throw at him and threaten you with his own. Isolate him from his allies and he loses some of that bulk, but keep an eye on how many spaces you need to move when initiating.

Of course the one Special quote Freyr gives out is about how he loves humans on the clear I decide to use all beasts...

In this All-Beast run, I needed to give my beasts a slight edge in exchange for the inability to inflict magic damage, and that came in the form of Reyson's omnibeast boosts, passive but appreciated healing, and permanent 3-movement.
Selkie winds up being the odd-one out because she's not from Tellius, but that's not important here. She was able to tank magical damage fairly well, all things considered.
Once I realized I was going in with an all-beast team (purely on accident I swear) I slotted in Tibarn because why not. That wasn't a bad move all things considered, he took down a few enemies and was able to Canto/Galeforce away afterwards. Heck, if I wanted to I could have had him fly next to Freyr and weaken him a little bit for the final confrontation.
And then there was New Years Lethe, who I consider the "hero" of this battle. Yes, she is capable of running 4 stacks of damage reduction between her weapon, the new Beast Cav transformation effect, Beast Sense 4, and Spd Smoke 4. Yes, such is normally only accessible to Melee Infantry. Yes, she became an absolute tank between all that AND Surge Sparrow w/Luna. Hell, even if she didn't outspeed the enemy for a double, she still has +17 Phantom Spd to cripple all incoming damage. She should have died like 5 times over with how low her defenses are, but she broke through them all, completely no-sold Freyr's Ignis trigger, and got the kill.

I'd like to thank the recently-released Eitr for giving Beast Cavs a new lease on life AND giving Beast Cavs the ability to get damage reduction. I'd love to get some of that for Selkie...

Edited by Xenomata

Well, I somehow beat Freyr.

Ended up using Legendary Guinevere, Harmonic Azura, Fallen Chrom, and Valentine's Leo. The winning strategy here was to clear out most of the enemies around Freyr and put off fighting him as much as possible. Since, uh, he was so fucking tanky that I needed to hit him several times before he went down. Chrom was handy here because his special repositioning skill and Galeforce meant that I got more moves in a single turn than I normally get.

Valentine's Leo was ... well, like an idiot I forgot that Freyr's C-skill nullifies Leo's gravity effect, so the original intention I'd deployed him with didn't really help as much as I wanted. But being a unit with 3 move, a trace skill, and the ability to be refreshed by Azura's Harmonic skill apparently was super handy and helped me win the match.

@Xenomata I would also say that Lethe was the hero of the battle! Selkie's resistance is so high; I'm surprised she didn't take much damage from the Blade tome mage.

I give up. I couldn't be bothered trying to beat this with my theme teams, so I just combined them together. The enemies are getting too ridiculous now. Yes, I used three cheating units ;_;

@Xenomata Nice clear using the beast cavs against the new beast cav! We've gotten a lot of super strong blue beast cavs recently huh... Beast Sense 4 seems like a great skill on Lethe, she really got to show off here.

@GuiltyLove Nice clear, it's cool to see some of the strongest units from across your different teams working together. And I wouldn't worry about "cheating units", Freyr's C-skill probably qualifies as cheating as well and I kind of wish that wasn't in the game (although it just joins a whole bunch of questionably designed stuff released in the past year in that regard...). Grima did a great job of taking on Freyr despite his crazy power and bulk here, and the Catrias provided great movement as usual!

I was worried when I first saw Freyr's insane bulk and damage reduction, as I thought I would absolutely have to find some way to activate Lethality on him and that's almost impossible for a flier against an enemy that can't counterattack. But it turned out to be a lot easier than I imagined and I could damage him normally just fine with Dusk Uchiwa. I switched to that dagger mainly because the new Lull 4 skills will punish my whole team just because of Kindling Taiko granting a buff that does nothing in combat (super cool game design there...), but it turned out to be all that was needed to take down Freyr too. The other starting units on this map are all pretty weak, so once Freyr went down it was over immediately.

@BoaFerox That's impressive how you can just immediately kill Freyr like that! Nice job from everyone involved!

I like to stick with theme teams, so I was very disappointed to not do it this time : ( Maybe I'll figure something out with just Macedon units, but it's likely not happening.

So... I almost couldn't do this clear, because I was not able to deal with that Manakete in the front. I had to debuff them, but couldn't do it normally because Freyr nullifies penalties that trigger at start of turn. My solution was using Legendary Lucina, because her Future Vision II has the Snag effect, but I don't really like using her because she is not a Marth. Then I thought about giving Snag to my Groom Marth, but he needed Desperation. But then, the idea appeared: what if... I use TWO Groom Marths?

@Xenomata That was a nice clear. Lethe with the new B skill is insane! So much damage reduction, and so much Phantom Speed effect! She did well holding the left side while the others took care of the right side. And at the end, with all that damage reduction, she took so little from that Ignis!

@GuiltyLoveI am sorry that you could deal with Freyr with only Macedon Team or only Dragons Team, and had to combine them. But you did great on this clear, working with the Catrias and Maria to deal with all the ranged units, and leaving the melee ones to Grima. Maybe next time he reruns, your Macedon Team will have new skills that will help you. I am very sure my Marths wouldn't be able to do most of my clears before Winter Marth's refinement.

@BoaFerox Nice clear, Boa! The warping is not insane with the new skill, and very impressive that Flame Tana could deal with Freyr so easily!

I somehow did it...

Ehh....... I had to use the Duo skill for this and barely defeated Freyr

This is long, so feel free to just skip around. Halloween Grima definitely could not have done this! I'm glad I could do this with the two teams; Bridal Catria and Rearmed Grima are quite the MVPs.

Edited by GuiltyLove

@Diovani Bressan Very nice job by the 4-star Marth! Snag is definitely a nice way to inflict debuffs that Freyr cannot block.

@GuiltyLove Ooh, they did it! Rearmed Grima is so strong, hopefully you get some luck with her if you're going for her on this Hero Fest. Great use of the Duo Skill to beat Freyr, he was cheating too with a pre-charged special so it's only fair. Nice job!

I finally managed to upload the video, but it wasn't as easy as I was expecting: Freyr is one of the most tanky units in the game, he gave men almost more problems than Fomortiis this January.

Hi, hello, I still exist.

Things got interesting with my phone when I finally found time to do this, so sorry for the scuffed recording.

This strat almost didn't work. The Green Mage kept going right instead of left pursuing Neph instead of Larum... until I changed the team slot order. Why this is a deciding factor in AI movement, I will never understand.

• 2 weeks later...

@Some Jerk Wow, these are some awesome looking skillsets as usual! Seeing Dancer Nephenee is very fun. Great clear! Team slot order is always a bit awkward to work with, but I suppose it's like that because at some point you just need to have some kind of tie breaker that can't possibly be another tie itself.

• 1 month later...

Been doing a lot of work lately but I have time now to go back and tackle the recent LHB/MHB topics I haven't posted in.

Wasn't a hard fight once Freyr couldn't make use of his buddies to reduce damage.

@GuiltyLove - Rearmed Grima was good to have on this lineup. There wasn't much Freyr could do to her while the rest of the team chipped away at the remaining enemies.

Nice to see the standard Whitewing lineup was still capable even without Grima's help with all the warping fun. Meanwhile the Dragon Lilith Grima combo team had little to worry about with their evil bodyguard.

@BoaFerox - Always good to have a Dusk Uchiwa to take care of pesky Cavs like Freyr!

@Diovani Bressan - Double Ninja Katana and a Shuriken Cleaver, that was a pretty brutal assault against Freyr and friends. 

@Some Jerk - A fresh face of some new lethal dancers! Larum tanking Freyr was admittedly not on my bingo board but I'm happy to see it was possible nonetheless!

2 hours ago, GuiltyLove said:

@LandmasterNice to see your videos again! The Elises on the left had some scary moments, but they survived. I see that Seaside Parasol is being used now. It's too bad I don't have it for regular Maria

Yeah, it's surprisingly come in clutch in several recent LHBs with the ability to provide Guard without having to attack. Since Holy Pressure gives Gravity, Elise's Staff's main selling point can still be pulled off.