SF's "Write Your Butt Off!" Writing Competition XV - Voting Thread

Sunwoo

Sorry. Earlier it should have said 'Yours isn't stupid and is competent in its writing though'. What a different a missed word can make. Anyways...

I'm hoping for feedback on mine as well. Specifically I want it a bit more focused on Thyme as a character if possible. I wanted to try and make her a powerful mage but also someone who actually understood her powers and how to properly utilize them instead of just rushing in with a mega-laser firing.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And then I possibly caused a time disruption that took off Knight's imminent victory just because I was curious about the deadlines and Anon forgot to vote before. Great.

I thought the deadline was later, oops. I wanted to read and critique everyone's stories, but I just couldn't find time to do it. I think I'll get around to it eventually, even if Eclipse decides to close the poll.

I've been really, REALLY busy. I happen to find a spot of free time now, to catch up on everything.

Since the deadline passed quite a while back as stated here, it looks like Knight won!

So, everyone else, get your votes in earlier! Knight, feel free to post the next prompt! Real life, stop throwing random things at me, I like SF.

I don't have time to read today, I got an essay, some forms and a month's worth of studying to catch up on for tomorrow. That doesn't stop anyone who has read the stories I guess.

EDIT: Oh, if that's the case, give me a minute. I had an idea for a prompt, I just got to think of a way to phrase it.

EDIT2: How do I submit my prompt? Do I PM someone or just post it here?

Edited by Knight

Just post your prompt in the main thread. If you need ideas on how to format, just look at all the previous entry formats, which should be linked in the OP.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I'll do my critiques here.

[spoiler=Ran Yakumo]

Like the style, like the personality presented but the story overall feels a little pointless. I get that it's like a gaiden style story taking place during the over all adventure but it still feels as if it lacked impact. It basically a bunch of stuff that happened with no one actually achieving or discovering anything. Maybe if the psychological dream aspect was longer it could have been a general mind fuck story but it kind of ended before it had even begun. In all it's really the greatest challenge when writing short stories. You need something short enough to qualify as a short story but you also need something that feels complete which can be hard to do even in 10,000 words.

[spoiler=eclipse]

Really liked the atmosphere set up in the first half and really liked the idea that linked to the title in the second half. The execution of the second half however felt a little off. I hesitate to say that it was rushed since a hurried atmosphere is something you'd want in that situation. Nor was it badly set up. I can't quite place my finger on what I didn't like about it but giving it a second quick scan I think that it might be because we don't see enough of Marie's head in the second half. The first half is almost entirely her inner monologue while the second half is mostly dialogue. You say her voice is shaky due to her emotions yet I don't get a good sense of what these emotions are other than what I can assume from the context. All in all it is a good piece of work, especially for something belted out in less than two hours. Not entirely sure it matched the prompt though.

. . .and no change.

However. . .SOMETHING is in the works, so until that SOMETHING is revealed, I'd like to put this contest on hold. Once that SOMETHING is revealed. . .we can continue where we left off.

. . .and no change.

However. . .SOMETHING is in the works, so until that SOMETHING is revealed, I'd like to put this contest on hold. Once that SOMETHING is revealed. . .we can continue where we left off.

I'm not going to be able to participate in anything anytime soon. Maybe I'll participate on December.

• 1 month later...

1. No one noticed that deadline passed 12 hours before.

2. Doesn't matter, since this thing didn't get any votes for at least 24 hours.

Looks like Jotari won~! Uhh. . .you guys still up for running this?

Oh hey I won. Ha. Figures the work I put the absolute least amount of effort into is the one that wins. I'm still interested in submitting something each month. Can't attest to the quality of the work but my mantra is that it's better to keep on writing something and having somewhere the post if is a great motivation. Can't speak for everyone else though.

Edited by Jotari

• 1 month later...

THE BELATED POLL!

(seriously guys, send me a PM if I'm on but not paying attention)

Kotovii

jankmaster98

Voting ends, uh, February 12 at 9:00 PM HST or so. Extra time is because there's some other subforum with 40+ writing pieces that need to be judged (HINT HINT).

(press x) "sarcastically"

"bit locked in with my voting options this time, but I suppose it's better than voting for President"

in all honestly though, good story Mr Kotovii, hope to read more from you in the future!

Edited by jankmaster98