Games you didn't expect to like

Michelaar

So i'm sure we've all had a game that didn't exactly seem like your thing at first, but you tried out anyway. What games did you not expect to like, but you actually did?

For me this would be Splatoon 2. I didn't have a wiiu so I didn't play the first one, and it honestly didn't seem like my kinda game, but my friends kept reccomending it to me so I was like, fuck it let's give it a try. And I love it. I've been having so much fun with the story mode and the online modes, and I can't wait for octo expansion.

Ace Attorney. 

A lawyer game sounds so very dull. Its the sort of game I'd advice to my non gaming mom.

But then they start introducing Hispanic cyborg coffee addicted prosecutors or British convict Samurai's, murderous ghosts and witnesses who have a complete mental breakdown on the stand. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Honestly? Shadow Dragon.

The FE fandom has been very vocal about how bad of a game it is, from ugly graphics, to no supports, to being too close to the original. So obviously, its bad reputation put a damper on my spirits when I played it. And I'll be honest, Marth was the only reason I actually booted up the game.

And honestly? It's a good game. It's barebones, but as an actual game, it holds up fairly well. It's my second favourite FE game, and it made Archanea my favourite continent.

Other games were: Super Mario Odyssey, as I'm honestly not a big Mario fan, BotW, as I'm not a big Zelda fan either, TMS as the reveal trailer pushed me away until I saw the reviews and decided to give it a shot.

But I think another notable one was the Pokemon Ranger trilogy. Its mechanics differed greatly from the main series, but I actually enjoy it more than the simple button presses from the mainline games. Ranger's capture mechanics involve a lot more movement and strategy, deciding when to time your loops and assists. Each game had fantastic stories, with Almia's being the strongest imo. Really, the Ranger games are a breath of fresh air.

A very long time ago I remember playing a Call of duty: Black ops campaign mode and actually enjoying it. I'm not one of those people who rag on call of duty for being popular, but military shooters never appealed to me. Still it was a birthday present I gave my brother and he recomended me playing it. So after a lot of urging I finally played it and enjoyed a short, but good train ride with a story that did a good job of keeping me invested. 

The Witch's House

One day I decided to play those free indie Japanese horror rpg game maker games that were popular with the big youtubers at one point and The Witche's House was the last one I completed because I didn't expect a lot from it. Despite the game taking me only 2 hours to complete and it being very simple it's a game that left a special feeling with me and has one of my favorite characters in all of manga/gaming.

Pokemon Platinum

After playing Saphire and Emerald and trying out D/P I was done with pokémon. The Hoenn region never appealed to me after starting pokémon as a kid with Gold so when I finally played Platinum years later I was blown away. The game had the right kind of pacing, new pokemons, decent storyline and difficulty and I loved that. It's now one of my favorite pokémon games to date.

Dark Souls

I thought that I would end up dropping the game because of its difficulty. I even remember buying it just to see what the hype was about but I really didn't have much hope but boy oh boy was I wrong. The atmosphere, the story, the gameplay, the difficulty I LOVED IT. Sure the game kicked the ever living shit out of me the first time around but that moment you managed to defeat that boss you have fought so many times or you get to a new bonfire was euphoric. 

Until Dawn

For months and months leading up to the release, I was pretty firmly in the "This is dumb, this is going to be dumb, this is what's wrong with video games right now" camp. As somebody who really doesn't like the whole "Cinematic experience of games", hates David Cage-esque games, and in general is wary of Sony exclusives that put emphasis on cinematics, I really enjoyed the dumb, slasher B-movie vibe of the whole deal. It avoided the pitfall a lot of these games have where it didn't take itself super seriously, and it made it much, much more endearing. That first playthrough is also pretty tense and I like where the story goes.

Edited by Slumber

Honestly?

Awakening... which is ironic when you consider it's the reason I'm even part of this community to begin with.

Something in me just clicked into place around Emmeryn's Swan Dive and at Lucina's reveal whatever clicked them there locked them there. Fiction appealing to my emotions is freakin' rare... and somehow, Awakening got through to them.

Hmm, let's see...

Bioshock

Years ago when I first heard of Bioshock, I wasn't sure it was something I'd enjoy. Didn't liked the sound of shooters with lots of blood and gore and stuff, and the whole "City in the depths of the ocean" just gave me the creeps. Not sure I wanted to see that, even in fiction. So what changed then? Well, I would actually thank a fanfiction for that. It was a crossover fanfic between Bioshock and... well, I'm not sure if I want to divulge with what; but the point is that through that fanfic I would actually learn more of the world and setting of Bioshock (fanfic took place after the first two games and took place in the city of Rapture itself). It hooked me. It sounded so interesting and intriguing, I decided to buy the game and try it. Turns out, I can actually tolerate lots of violently gore pretty well so long it's clear it's fictional; but outside of that, the story, the setting, the intrigue... it was just so fascinating, so interesting. I liked it. The gameplay also had its variety, with the various weapons, the plasmid system, having to be stealthy at times, and stuff... yeah, I got to ejoy the game. This led me to play 2 and Infinite as well. Good decision.

Fallout

This one goes more or less the same. I wasn't sure on playing a game of this series. My aversion was higher than with Bioshock since nuclear war can be quite real in reality. Then, enter crossover fanfiction with the same entity as the Bioshock crossover story. Well, it was more exact to say it had a Fallout coat of paint, so not exactly a proper crossover. Made learn stuff about the Fallout world, and curiosity slowly won over. I bought New Vegas and... well, I was hooked. Nowadays I now own and played every game save for Brotherhood of Steel and 4. I plan to get the latter one of these days, once I have a computer powerful enough (because as we all know with games like Fallout... mods, mods, mods, mods, mods, mods).

Skyrim

... would you believe me if I told you this one was actually different? Because no, it wasn't. Same deal as before, the same product with the crossover fanfics of the two previous entries also had a fanfic that... well, actually, this wasn't a proper crossover fanfic. Like with the Fallout fanfic, it was more like it had its own version of the Skyrim plotline and setting, so not a proper crossover, but nonetheless I was intrigued with what I was learning; and so, I also became a The Elder Scrolls fan. Although for this I only really own Skyrim itself, plus Arena and Daggerfall since they're free nowadays. I may eventually get the other games in the series. Maybe.

---

I could go on... if I knew of other cases; and hopefully they can be ones that I didn't gained interest through crossover fanfics with the same stuff! lol Then again, I am grateful for that series for making me try new things through its crossover fanfics, hahahahaha...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

For my short list...

Mario+Rabbids - I wasn’t expecting something to be this faithful to snapshot with an emphasis on fun and simplicity.

Undertale - I never thought a rpgmaker game would turn out to be what it became.

Nier (the first one) - the game randomly appeared on store shelves with no marketing.  It got weird and messed up through playthrough 2 and I enjoyed it.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 1 - I played it 7 years after it came out and the CoD is bad and for casuals memes were everywhere, I was surprised when it turned out to be a good game.

Gravity Rush - never thought this Japanese take on Belgian superhero comics would turn out to be my most favorite superhero sandbox game ip.

Suikoden - I was just waiting on FF VII, I never expected to find a memorable franchise.

Beyond Good and Evil - a 20 USD bargain buy during the holiday season nobody knew anything about when it was released.  I probably don’t have to say any more.

Legend of Gaia - One of my most beloved games is about a kid who hits things with a flute and can alter reality.

This is more broad but there are JRPGs on the Google PlayStore (and some have gotten ported over to Nintendo consoles) by developer Kemco. I bought one for $10 on the 3DS eShop called Infinite Dunamis and it actually ended up being pretty decent. Since then, i've tried several of Kemcos other games such as Asdivine Hearts and Antiqua Lost. Gameplay-wise, they are mostly the same and the games are only 10-15-ish hours long but it makes sense since they are mobile games. They're pretty easy to get into, it's decently written and while it's nothing mindblowing in the grand scheme of things, these games are surprisingly fun regardless. Perfect for killing time.

Conception 2.
It's basically the only M-rated game I've ever played, don't ask me why I chose it over pretty much any other M-rated game, I just decided to give the Demo a chance for some reason, and the Demo was good enough that when I saw it for like $10 on an eShop sale, I said what the heck and went for it. Suppose it helped the Demo had Fuuko and Torri, Waifu Tier 1 and Little Sister respectively, plus Ellie, who's...not...bad, I guess?
The game itself ended up being not the greatest game I've ever played, though it was less of a letdown for me than for one of my friends, who's super into Atlus and Spike Chunsoft and thus had way more hopes for it than I did. It was, however, a game with a lot of promise and potential that felt like it was inexplicably squelched somewhere along the development line, and was infinitely better than I'd expected considering the subtitle is 'Children of the Seven Stars' and considering the first game never left Japan.
Gameplay-wise, the battle system is unique and enjoyable...at first. It gets kind of boring pretty quickly, though, especially since it ends up making Serina and Torri better than everyone else for general Dungeon-Grinding since they can hit all enemies while the others can only hit a single foe, which makes them slightly better for Bossfights but not by much since Serina or Torri will probably be your highest-level Heroine most of the time thanks to the Grind-heavy gameplay and weird difficulty spike(once you hit like the second-to-last Labyrinth you'll have to spend like three days Grinding everything except the girls just to catch back up with the suddenly-way-harder-than-the-first-two-thirds-of-the-game-led-you-to-expect monsters). Fuuko has a chance to stay ahead of them since she's basically the only Heroine you start with so you get a bit of time to try to level her, but basically unless one of the other five lands on your Waifu List you're gonna spend most of the game using Torri or Serina.
Cast-wise, Fuuko's a babe, Serina holds her own considering Loli Tsundere Trope, I can't decide if I like Narika more than Serina or not(Tsundere is apparently my thing in video games but the pedo police aka my family definitely won't mistake Narika for a Loli), I would totally take Torri in as another little sister, Ellie, Chloe, and Feene are pretty neat though not my favorites, and pretty much the rest of the cast can go burn for all I care. Except Mark. RIP that guy. Almost everyone I've met who's played the game agrees that if you make it through the whole game you'll end up liking at least two of the Heroines, loving at least one more, and at worst being neutral towards the other four, but disliking if not outright hating the entire rest of the cast with exception of Chlotz because we all feel like Chlotz at some point in our lives so we relate to the guy.
Also the game has a DLC Quest where you fight Monokuma. That's gotta count for something, right?

Definitely Fire Emblem as a whole.  In 2012, I would've never imagined that I'd ever get suckered into the game series with that one blue-haired Japanese speaker, the red-haired one, and Mr. "I fight for my friends", but as I've recounted a few times before, my sister got me FE Awakening on Christmas in, like, 2014 (I know because it was the year Smash 4 came out).  And I didn't think much on it until I actually tried it (like I did with all the games she got me).  I was expecting most of my play time would be dedicated to Smash and Tomdachi Life... nope.  Fire Emblem it is.  Just going into it, making my character, meeting all the neat characters, following Chrom, tactically destroying the enemy... it all just clicked right for me.  Fire Emblem Awakening is one of the games I wish I could forget so that I could relive the experience of discovering it for the first time again.

Valkyria Chronicles was also sort of the same way, but I knew nothing of it prior to playing it.  It was my first real experience with strategy games, and it was during a time when I was hardcore into feminist gaming.  So that clicked quite right with me as well.

I'm not into scary games, but Resident Evil had me hooked for 1-4.  I technically first played Gamecube remake of the first (which was soured by goddamn Crimson Heads, the little bastards), but the first game I really got into was Outbreak File #2 (no idea why I got the second game and not the first).  Like I said, I don't like scary games, but the survival and puzzle aspects appealed to me a lot.  It was enough to make me play the mainline games up to 4.  Any games after that one I just didn't care for, but I didn't expect to like any games from this series in the first place.

And I have to list Grand Theft Auto IV.  Seriously, fuck my classmates; they told me the only thing worth doing in that game was hiring prostitutes and then killing them.  That left me with the impression that it was just gonna be this mindless "commit crimes" game with excessive violence, sexual content, and just generally nothing I was interested in.  A friend of mine got it for my birthday when I was a young teenager, and I actually asked my parents if I could play it because I thought it'd just be a really naughty game.  Around fifteen at the time, I played it, and it was so much more than I thought it'd be.  I was amazed it even had a story with actually pretty decent people and lots of funny commentary/in-game jokes.  I was expecting Hatred levels of violence and lack of substance, not a game with characters who spoke more than one-liners and edgy monologues.  I never even once hired a prostitute and killed her, and at this point it's more out of spite towards my classmates who'd tell me that was the thing to do in this game.

1 hour ago, Bubba Jones said:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 1 - I played it 7 years after it came out and the CoD is bad and for casuals memes were everywhere, I was surprised when it turned out to be a good game.

Call of Duty up to Modern Warfare 2/World at War is all great, imo.  Even the multiplayer scenes.  Now a lot of those games are plagued with hackers from what I understand, but back in the day MW2 multiplayer was the main thing I looked forward to after school.  And the awful nightvision goggles with monocular vision... many fun, hilarious games of hide n' seek were played with that disorienting headpiece.

Before Black Ops, CoD was great.  Now it's a lot of cookie-cutter garbage that's only churned out annually so that whatever company is in charge of it can make an easy profit because they know tons of people will buy it no matter how trash it is.  It's a surprise that they're up to Black Ops 4, but it's also a surprise they've only gotten up to Black Ops 4.  You know what I'm sayin'?  Probably not, but whatever.

I've played hundreds upon hundreds of games in my life and there were countless surprises, so I'm sticking strictly to games I did not want to play and ended up loving. In order of increasing weirdness:

Resident Evil (the entire franchise) - I once encountered my older brother playing Resident Evil at a young age and it scared the crap out of me. Nightmares and everything. Back when 4 was still relevant, I got up the courage to play it on PS2. I could only make it through ten to fifteen minute sessions before having to put down the game because the tension and fast paced action left me shaking as I held the controller. But gradually those play sessions got longer. And I was about a third of the way through the game when I realized this is incredible. The way the enemies react to your attacks, the secrets, the weapon upgrade system was all just so polished and better than other games I was playing. This eventually led me to play the rest of the series and despite the vastly different gameplay of previous entries I was hooked on it.

Dark Souls - I always know a fad when I see it, and I think Dark Souls is what finally made me stop flinching at the idea of playing the new hotness. A good game is a good game. Dark Souls created some uncomfortable conversations about game difficulty where nobody knows what they're talking about. Endless comparisons to Dark Souls that are unwarranted with regard to new, difficult games. But I won't fault Dark Souls itself for that. I played the entire trilogy with a friend and there was a lot of fun to be had. I'll even enjoy the occasional Dark Souls knockoff to this day.

Phantasy Star 1 - So a lot of people seem to like Phantasy Star 2 for Sega Genesis and I don't. I think it punishes players that like to use all the characters by making them grind. Hence my caution towards the first game. Phantasy Star was a real surprise. This is the most impressive 80s RPG I can think of mechanically. Just like Dragon Warrior, you're expected to grind for your first hour, but the game takes a much faster pace from there.

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand - This game is schlock, and sometimes that's all you want. The narrative of 50 Cent trying to get paid and inadvertently bringing peace to the middle east sounds like a better joke than any I could ever tell. It's got all the tropes of the then rampant genre of military shooters, and a blast to play co-op.

Mighty No. 9 - I did not back Mighty No. 9, so I had no investment other than seeing this supposed Mega Man reboot. The game's marketing and controversies surrounding Inafume are still very very dumb. And everything people have critiqued about the game's visual design and level design is true. But I still enjoyed playing it. Mega Man 1 is a game that really impacted my formative gaming years so a lot of the poor choices to me felt like callbacks. I also appreciate any game that was built with speedrunning in mind. And the Credits sequence includes a rap written about the main character. I love that. You know who else has a rap written about them in the credits? Deadpool. In both of his movies.

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance:

Hearing about the game having a low quality soundtrack compared to its predecessor and successor (both of which were on the GBA as well) and looking at Juste's running animation made me not want to play the game, but it grew on me and was actually quite enjoyable.

Danganronpa:

I thought it was a simple visual novel, but then the murders and class trials kicked in and woo boy it was super great.

Dungeon Travelers 2 : It's a M rated game with  a masive amounts of fan service. And it's a license based on an erotic visual novel. At best I exoected to be as good as Demon Gaze : decent gameplay, but irritating story.
...But not only  is the gameplay really great, the story is cool as well. The game doesn't takes itself too seriously, but can sometimes surprises you.
It's also incredibly generous. There is a massive post game session that last as much as the main story itself (and develops another kind of story.). There's also lots of small events depeding of which characters you use, their classes and other things.

Final Fantasy X-2 : After Final Fantasy , I didn't particularily want to play the sequel immediately. It also recieved lots of backlash by many persons.
While it's not a great game by any means, it is so much better than FFX. That's not really surprising actually. There's many reasons, but it all come down to a thing. It's actually fun. They don't try (and fails horribly) to be a serious story, so there's no reasons to complain about the plot.

Dragon Quest 7 : Now, obviously that game is amazing. But some context is needed here. After FFX, I thought RPGs may not be for me anymore. Oe at the very least, that I just wouldn't like them as much as before. I played through the PS Version here.
...And the game quickly proved me how wrong I am. It just works so well. The characters are all very likable (even the Hero, despite not uttering a word). And it's really beautiful, poetic. Even with the PS graphisms.

Call of Duty: MW 2 - I mean I grew up a Nintendokid, so the hate for this in the communities I paid  attention too was pretty much the highest or tied for the highest with RPG communities. 

Meteos - On the surface it's a very cheap and simple looking game.

Lode Runner - although I already considered puzzle games one of my favroite genres in my pre-increpare days, I didn't really think much of certain older games with "only" the one mechanic to repeat throughout the entire thing. Boy was I wrong.

Kirby: Canvas Curse - I traditionally don't really like Kirby games, but I found that Canvas curse was really well designed and had a more succesful attempt at difficulty than it's brethern.

Dragon Quest 8 - I was kind of inclined to favor SNES/PS1 RPGs, and to ignore the DQ brand's simplicity, especially since it didn't seem to have extenuating circumstances and other sources of appeal like pokemon/paper mario did to  excuse it's easiness.

Eyetoy: Kinect and Eyetoy: Antigrave - Eyetoy:Play was like crack to me from the beggining but I really didn't think that ligthning could strike twice, since by the time I got around to lookking for the other Eyetoy games, the Wii era had dawned, and it became obvious how hit or miss games like these were. Plus being focused on "racing" and exercise as opposed to a party game seemed to be a problem.

Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

For the longest time, All I knew about this game was that it's ending sucked. That was it. Later I learned that the game was rushed, so my expectations weren't very high when I got the game as part of a Star Wars game sale on GOG, especially, since I thought that KOTOR 1 had an excellent story, but was only an okay game.

Now, KOTOR 2 has one my favorite stories, period. I loved how you saw the aftermath of the conflict of the first game, that the story was dark without overstepping it's boundaries, how thoroughly it deconstructed the Star Wars universe, and how, in spite of all this, you can still be a genuine good guy. It's a game that made me think quite deeply at times, and anything that does that automatically gains several points in my book. It also has one of the best implementations of a player character that I've ever seen, and you could probably write a paper or essay on that aspect alone. I also actually liked the improvements to the gameplay, as the small changes went a long way.

Star Wars: Republic Commando

I bought this game because I had money to spare at a used game store, and the box repeatedly said that AI was the best they've seen for a tactical shooter.

They aren't kidding. Your squad really is intelligent, obeying your orders without a fault, knowing how to take advantage of the terrain, throwing the right grenades, and the developers found that fine balance between having your allies be useful while still having the player get their share of the action. It feels you and your squad-mates are a genuine team.

I haven't even gotten to how each of your squad-mates was a well-defined, well-written, and very enjoyably personality, even the player character, and how they're all given their moment to shine. The banter between them still ranks as some of my favorite dialogue in a video game, and Scorch is still one of the funniest video game characters I know. I also love how the game manages to be hilarious and fun while you're playing it, but later you start to realize how many of your squads quirks could be considered coping mechanisms, and how the game does not pull punches with showing how hellish the live of an average soldier in the Star Wars universe is.

Blustone

I honestly only downloaded this game because I had some space to spare on my phone, and the ads made it seem as if it was a fun tapathon with some strategy elements, so I decided "sure, why not."

I actually am still impressed by how the gameplay is better than I thought it would be. The rock-paper-scissor system and the skills don't seem that important at first, but they quickly become vital elements that aren't difficult, but still necessary, to learn. The way training and advancement work, as well as no character starts out at max power, but everyone can become an outstanding unit, makes it tied with Fire Emblem Heroes with "best gacha system", personally.

I'm even more impressed, however, with the characters. They manage to be quirky without being gimmicky, and the writing for them is surprisingly good. I love how it can get weird, but never to the point of ridiculousness, and how they manage to show the softer/goofier/less-stoic side of the serious characters without them loosing their dignity (with one very well-handled exception). Considering it's size, and the fact that the conversations work similarly to supports, it's almost like seeing another company try it's hand at writing a Fire Emblem cast. It actually restored my faith that certain character types could work, and I legitimately would not mind if some of these characters appeared in an actual Fire Emblem game.

Conception 2 Children of the Seven Stars
This is a pretty big one for me in this category. When I read the premise, my first thought was: "Alright, so that's why everyone thinks JRPG fans are perverts". Then my dad bought it and played it (before anyone asks, we are a gamer family) and it got me interested, so I got the game for myself and I was hooked immediately. Sure, the game has some "racy" parts, but they are presented in such a way that doesn't make you go "eww" but "aww" instead (I'm not one to go "eww" at racy parts, anyway). The characters are awesome, especially your female companions, who are all really interesting and unique, the story is great and the main gameplay is every dungeon crawler fans' dream.
Needless to say, I love this game to death.

Nights of Azure and Nights of Azure 2
These are weird in a way. When picking out a birthday present for a good friend of mine, which ended up being World of Final Fantasy, I saw Nights of Azure right next to it and I was like "Hey, this cover looks great. Let's buy this one, too." So when I got home, I started playing Nights of Azure and I was blown away by how awesome it was. I went in with zero expectation and I was rewarded big time.
And then the sequel came along with an even better story, a bigger cast of unique, interesting and funny characters and a villain so awesome, I made her my profile picture.

7th Dragon III Code:VFD
I don't know if this one fits the bill exactly, but when I first bought this game from the e-shop, I was like "Huh, weird title", but when I finally played and finished it, it became my favourite game on the 3DS and one of my favourite games in general. I don't really know what it is that makes me love this game so much, but whenever I go back to it, it just feels like this game was meant for me in a way, as cheesy as that may sound. It has everything I want out of a game of its type and I honestly couldn't really ask for more.
It's a shame the older 7th Dragon games never made it out of Japan. I would love to try them one day.

After reading these. . .Conception still isn't my cup of tea.  But it's good that others found some value out of it.  Ahem. . .

- "Huh?  What's this thing?  Someone left it on a school computer.  Hey, this is pretty fun."  Then the teachers went on strike, and I had my first marathon gaming session.  The culprit?  Final Fantasy VI, which in turn suckered me into the rest of the series.

- "Huh?  Another game, on a school computer?  These things are cute!"  And THIS is how I got into video games in the first place.  Someone emulated Pokemon Red at my school.  Thank you, whoever you were.

- "I hear this Brave Exvius game is pretty good.  Oh, this is a Final Fantasy mobile title, so it's gotta be good, too!"  My failure to read titles correctly landed me in Mobius Final Fantasy, which is nothing like Brave Exvius.  Mobius is grind-crazy, but damn if the graphics/story aren't really good for a game designed for tablets and phones!

- "I'm buying this game 'cause the guy on the poster is cute."  Stupid reasoning aside, this was my introduction to Fire Emblem.

Patty and Mr. Miles: Sadly, it's been so long, that I couldn't tell you anything about it other than appearances were quite deceiving. Went from happy go lucky fun times to... dark.

The Letter(the VN): Horror and VNs are kinda my thing, but I wasn't really big on "modern settings", but I peeped it. I loved it. Characters are great, voice acting is great, music is on point, branching stories based on the "anyone can die" approach(And those deaths are pretty gruesome too). Good enough to forgive the memes that popped up in there from time to time.

Yakuza 3: Now look, I've been in Yakuza(Ryu ga gotoku for you purists) many, many, many years before it got popular, so according to moderners and snowflakes(I guess) I'm what's known as a hipster or whatever. Anyway, at the time, it wasn't what I was looking for... or so I thought, then I stopped procrastinating and played it and never looked back.

Pandora's Tower: I didn't expect to "dislike it", I expected to not leave a lasting impression, but nope. It left an impression, the kind that make me consider it one of my favorites games. To say nothing of being my favorite Wii gamu

On 5/28/2018 at 5:12 PM, Hekselka said:

The Witch's House

One day I decided to play those free indie Japanese horror rpg game maker games that were popular with the big youtubers at one point and The Witche's House was the last one I completed because I didn't expect a lot from it. Despite the game taking me only 2 hours to complete and it being very simple it's a game that left a special feeling with me and has one of my favorite characters in all of manga/gaming.

I got this... Dad with the shotgun, right?

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

- "I hear this Brave Exvius game is pretty good.  Oh, this is a Final Fantasy mobile title, so it's gotta be good, too!"  My failure to read titles correctly landed me in Mobius Final Fantasy, which is nothing like Brave Exvius.  Mobius is grind-crazy, but damn if the graphics/story aren't really good for a game designed for tablets and phones!

Correctly landed

What do you hear about Brave Ecksveeus now?

Edited by Soledai

The Legend Of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

I'm not a Zelda-fan because I have serious issues in solving the puzzles and getting used on the 3D graphics.
I tried to play Skyward Sword and Ocarina Of Time but they became a disaster for me.
On a certain day I found ALBW for only 20€ at Gamestop. I asked a friend of mine if this game is a good entrance in the series for me. They said yes and so I decided to Try this out. 
... Aaaannd it was way easier to play thanks to the camera in the overworld from the bird's eye view. I could handle the 3D graphics within the dungeons and against the boss well. Very most of the puzzles were managle to solve on my own. Only I needed to figure out a strategy against a few bosses. 
Still it was a very enjoyable game and a great entrance.
I'd like to play more Zelda games which have a similar overworld like this.
(I guess the Oracle parts would apply)

Touhou

Usually I play videogames to let out my stress, but Touhou is quite the opposite. It causes stress because it requires excellent eyes and a perfect reaction time from me. Of course for never having played a Danmaku game before I had my problems. I started with 8 and boss 4 (Marisa) made me ragequit for like two years. The only reason why I tried to come back was the music. Touhou's soundtrack is marvelous! I started to practice and became better and better. Finally I could beat this game and a few other parts. Still have neither beaten a extra boss yet, nor than on a higher difficulty than normal (and normal only in 14), but nowadays I don't only enjoy the music and characters but also the gameplay.

Some other games, that I expected to appreciate, but clearly not as much.

Fantasy World  : I was expecting it to be fun. But it was more than that. It was a revelation. A revolution, even !
It reminded me how beautiful life is. This is a game that teached me a real life lesson (how much I still follow it is different.) : you just have to lookaound you to find treasues, be it the vegetations, or others.

Digimon Story : Cyber Sleuth : Now I was intrigued by that game, honnestly. But when I was young, it ws durig Pokémania, so I was supposed to hate Digimon (I didn't disliked it in truth.).
Well this game was far better than expected. It was extremely fun, with colorfull, likeable characters. And the Digimons are always great. It is often very close to be totally ridiuclous, and when it crosses the line, it goes extremely far. And the serious aspects never break the less serious elements. It's a wild ride up until the end.
The end was another surprise actually. I'm still not sue how much I like it, but I respect their decisions of doing such a choice.

Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask: Well, anyone who knows me these days may well know I love this game so much I have played through it 20 times between it and the 3DS remake. But that wasn't my first impression. I heard about the time limit and time resetting mechanics. Guess what? I hated the concept. I knew I could never beat Ocarina of Time in three days, real or otherwise (ironic really when you consider I can knock it over in a day now). But then on actually getting the game I found a few things. One being that the time limit wasn't quite as I pictured it. The other being that the passing time and emphasis on sidequests made this world feel way more immersive to me than it's predecessor ever did. Sooner or later, I'm due another run through this game.

Legend of Zelda Wind Waker: After enjoying the atmosphere of Majora's Mask, seeing such a seeming 180 turn was a bit of a shock to the system. The animation put me off. But then I found myself enjoying the music in the intro... and the sword-fighting animations... and the new parrying mechanic (where were you in OoT when I was fighting Stalfos for the umpteenth time)... and the enemies dropping weapons... Well, by the time I hit Dragon Roost and the music started, I was done worrying. Now whenever I worry about the series, I just remind myself that if I listened to my fears in the first place I wouldn't have played either of these.

Fire Emblem:Fates: I know Fates gets a lot of flack for it's story, and justifiably. But that wasn't my concern. See, when I heard they were splitting it into Birthright and Conquest, with Revelations later, I immediately thought of the Pokemon business model. You know what I mean. Largely the same game apart from the units. This was disproven early enough, but I still felt certain classes and items only being for Nohr and others only available to Hoshido (apart from limited enemy item drops/chests) could prove detrimental. In a way, I still feel it was. But at least it didn't balance up to the degree I feared.

I generally don't play games I expect to dislike. I can only think of one game that massively exceeded my expectations, and that's Virtue's Last Reward. I can't even remember buying it, not a single person ever recommended it to me, and I didn't even discover it was a sequel to 999 until half way through it (999 being a game that wasn't even released in Europe so I only had vague knowledge that it existed and nothing regarding what it was about). I think I got it on some kind of buy one get one free deal or something. In any regard, my expectations were more non existent than low, and it took me a few weeks to even get passed the first few puzzles, but then, at some point the game kicked into overdrive and I found myself playing it for twelve hours a day just to get to the end.

On 5/30/2018 at 5:36 PM, Soledai said:

Correctly landed

What do you hear about Brave Ecksveeus now?

That I am a better person for mixing up my games.  Mobius got way more F2P-friendly around its first anniversary.