Rate the Unit, Day 51: Yodel

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0800 and 0900 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- Characters should be rated for their performance on all possible routes (A/B / Sacae/Ilia) but should not be penalized for routes they physically cannot exist on (z.B Juno in Sacae).

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

AVERAGES

WENDY!: 0.19

Sophia: 0.45

Bors: 1.14

Cath: 1.48

Barth: 2.07

Wolt: 2.16

Ward: 2.61

Douglas: 2.76

Fa: 3.02

Dorothy: 3.17

Juno: 3.23

Garret: 3.36

Lilina: 3.53

Merlinus: 3.53

Roy: 3.54

Geese: 3.70

Ray: 4.04

Hugh: 4.15

Dayan: 4.64

Treck: 4.66

Oujay: 4.80

Fir: 5.08

Lot: 5.40

Gonzales: 5.45

Cecilia: 5.61

Sue: 5.64

Zeiss: 5.70

Igrene: 5.73

Ellen: 5.73

Lugh: 5.98

Bartre: 6.00

Noah: 6.13

Chad: 6.42

Klein: 6.53

Astohl: 7.17

Saul: 7.18

Echidna: 7.27

Shin: 7.42

Zealot: 7.56

Niime: 7.77

Clarine: 7.78

Tate: 7.89

Dieck: 7.94

Thany: 8.01

Alan: 8.52

Lance: 8.59

Marcus: 8.77

Lalam: 8.78

Elphin: 9.00

Percival: 9.60

Rutger: 9.61

Miredy: 9.88

hahaha old guy

Not Niime Okay Yodel is the Gotoh of this game, he has no room to grow, he's mediocre as a combat unit, decent as a support unit, he actually has some pretty cool supports that prove he's an awesome old bastard, especially when he keeps one-upping Saul. but he's strictly a filler unit. Which is pretty sad because again, he gets awesome supports. Honestly if FE7 was going to detail shit from 20 years before FE6 where the fuck was Yodel

Anyway. I say 2/10,(+1 Bias Point) he comes late (Potentially 1 chapter away from the end game) has access to the worst magic type, but he can slip into the team if you need a healer and have no other choice.

Edited by Onmi

Can act as a backup physic staffer with his decent mag and shit. Comes late as fuck, though. 5/10

actually

Edit: upping his raw to a 5/10 since his warp range is actually only 1 less than non-Apoc Niime's now that I think of it

which is fucking good

6/10 for having having scored with Niime in the past

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Yodel is a little green gremlin-like creature that Roy encounters on the swamp planet Dagobah. Though at first he seems innocuous, just an NPC that forwards the plot, he turns out to be a powerful ally, with 19 mag and a sexy staff rank right off the bat, and if you can get him some combat without him keeling over, essentially sole dibs on Areola because fuck getting priests to S Light. (It's not a very good divine weapon, but it's still one). He also brings TWO Divine Weapons to the table. (But not factoring that in, of course).

6/10

Even though there are other staffers at this point, Yodel is still totally worthless. He can have pretty good offense again wyverns/Mamakute's if you get his light rank up. Other then that he doesn't have a whole lot going for him. He's more duable then Nimme, but thats it.

His high resistence does work against status staves though.

2.5/10

OMG, IT'S ATHOS~!

. . .except there's way less Magic, one less Light rank, nonexistent Dark/Anima, and a personality. Two stiff physical breezes is the end of him, too.

2.5/10

he's not niime but you do want him for a second warp, silence, sleep, berserk etc. user, and the saint's staff is effectively exclusive to him, which helps significantly with the manaketes in chapter 24 that are both accurate and hit like a truck.

6/10 he's really better than the entire bottom half of the list

he's not niime but you do want him for a second warp, silence, sleep, berserk etc. user, and the saint's staff is effectively exclusive to him, which helps significantly with the manaketes in chapter 24 that are both accurate and hit like a truck.

6/10 he's really better than the entire bottom half of the list

Imma be lazy and use this rating today.

Yodel would be an effective staffbot and easily your best warper under normal circumstances, seeing as he has a high 19 MAG. The problem is, though I'll try not to factor it into my score, that Niime exists, and does his job better. This makes him inconsequential. Now that I've mentioned it though, I'll move on from it, since we should assume we're using the unit when rating them.

And when you're focused on using him, Yodel isn't really bad. 19 MAG means he's still very much an effective healer, and an excellent choice for the Warp staff. He's the only character in the game who can use the Saint's Staff right out of the box with auto-S in staves; I wouldn't say that the Saint's Staff is enormously useful really, but it's certainly a good point for him that he can pull it out immediately.

We've noted his good points as a staffbot. Now let's go to the bad. Read also; Yodel's combat. He's usable, but... he has 5 base DEF. His base HP is better than Niime's, but that's still horrible. Additionally, he has a mere 14 base SPD, so he probably isn't going to be doubling much at all. That high MAG could make him pack a serious punch; and it does, a bit; but he uses the weakest magic type, with high enough Hit to make his high 18 SKL fairly inconsequential. One good thing Yodel has going for him is he comes with a capped 30 RES, making him an uber magical tank; well, if you find the occasional situation where you need someone to clog a bottleneck of mages.

Despite his mediocre combat, he can at least use a holy weapon soon if he sees a decent amount of combat, and while he won't be amazing, with some minor help he can kill. That's more than some other characters can say. Being a great lategame staffbot if we're disregarding a better option is also more than what others can say.

6.5/10 - .5 for arriving really late = 6/10

Edited by Cosmic_Harold

I'd probably like the guy more if he didn't join at level 20. Even Nimue has a little room for growth. I also wish that there was another reasonable user for Aureola. There's no way I could possibly get Saul to S-rank light magic unless I was really trying. (I did once get Ellen to S light, but that was with heavy arena abuse.)

Honestly, I wish light magic was more accessible in this game.

Oh, and no ranking because I haven't completed a legitimate playthrough of this game, especially not on hard mode.

Can act as a backup physic staffer with his decent mag and shit. Comes late as fuck, though. 5/10

actually

Edit: upping his raw to a 5/10 since his warp range is actually only 1 less than non-Apoc Niime's now that I think of it

which is fucking good

6/10 for having having scored with Niime in the past

Dondy where was your Dayan rating

As for Yoda

Late arrival aside, he helps Niime with stave use. Level 20. He's not going to be seeing any combat, but he got that Saint Staff at least.

50%.

Only one who can possibly use Aurola. Usually u can't, but Yodel's light LV start may just make that possible. And a bias .5 point for praising Roy to victory. And everything else that others have said already.

5.5/10

Edited by リンダ

Only one who can possibly use Aurola. Usually u can't, but Yodel's light LV start may just make that possible. And a bias .5 point for praising Roy to victory. And everything else that others have said already.

NM

6/10

HM

5.5/10

Saul and whatsherface cleric can use Aureola if you actually made them fight :|

Saul and whatsherface cleric can use Aureola if you actually made them fight :|

You have to make them fight like crazy, though. I promoted Saul in chapter 14. I'm on chapter 16 right now, and his light rank is still at a D level. Ideally, I'd like him to be able to use Aureola by the endgame, but it would take a lot of work.

You know, I really don't like the way weapon levels have been working in the recent games. There's gotta be a better way to do it...

EDIT: What's-her-face's formal name is Ellen.

Edited by Flock of Geese

Yodel would be an effective staffbot and easily your best warper under normal circumstances, seeing as he has a high 19 MAG. The problem is, though I'll try not to factor it into my score, that Niime exists, and does his job better. This makes him inconsequential. Now that I've mentioned it though, I'll move on from it, since we should assume we're using the unit when rating them.

And when you're focused on using him, Yodel isn't really bad. 19 MAG means he's still very much an effective healer, and an excellent choice for the Warp staff. He's the only character in the game who can use the Saint's Staff right out of the box with auto-S in staves; I wouldn't say that the Saint's Staff is enormously useful really, but it's certainly a good point for him that he can pull it out immediately.

We've noted his good points as a staffbot. Now let's go to the bad. Read also; Yodel's combat. He's usable, but... he has 5 base DEF. His base HP is better than Niime's, but that's still horrible. Additionally, he has a mere 14 base SPD, so he probably isn't going to be doubling much at all. That high MAG could make him pack a serious punch; and it does, a bit; but he uses the weakest magic type, with high enough Hit to make his high 18 SKL fairly inconsequential. One good thing Yodel has going for him is he comes with a capped 30 RES, making him an uber magical tank; well, if you find the occasional situation where you need someone to clog a bottleneck of mages.

Despite his mediocre combat, he can at least use a holy weapon soon if he sees a decent amount of combat, and while he won't be amazing, with some minor help he can kill. That's more than some other characters can say. Being a great lategame staffbot if we're disregarding a better option is also more than what others can say.

6.5/10 - .5 for arriving really late = 6/10

I mentioned in Ellen's thread (a long time ago!) that she was Yodel with way more luck. I suppose it would have been more correct to say that she was Yodel with way more luck and no light magic rank.

She's alright, and so is he. Immediately usable filler that can use the S rank staff (and as mentioned, potentially warp) with style. 14 base speed is just enough to not need to worry about getting doubled by most people, most importantly wyverns. Less impressive is his ability to get one-shotted by the silver lance lords, but it's not like the player is ever going to let that happen.