Rate the Unit: Day 61 - Pelleas

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode (JP Maniac). And only hard mode!

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends when the next RTU thread is posted (at this point, it's hard to tell).

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" or "Gives you Bronze Sword" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Savior to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- Skills can be reassigned freely.

- No transfers.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise. I will not throw your vote out if I do not support your opinion. Possible reasons for a tossed vote include: your vote is higher/lower than the vast majority to "balance the score" and failure to justify a radically different score.

Averages:

LYRE!: 0.32

Fiona: 1.20

Meg: 1.34

Kyza: 1.53

Astrid: 2.10

Lethe: 2.21

Vika: 2.40

Leonardo: 2.53

Sanaki: 3.03

Lucia: 3.06

Danved: 3.11

Mist: 3.11

Rhys: 3.21

Tormod: 3.28

Rolf: 3.36

Brom: 3.56

Ilyana: 3.75

Makalov: 4.00

Nealuchi: 4.41

Tauroneo: 4.50

Geoffery: 4.50

Black Knight: 4.60

Sigrun: 4.71

Maurim: 4.72

Kieran: 4.82

Aran: 4.92

Laura: 5.13

Ranulf: 5.14

Heather: 5.29

Skrimir: 5.45

Soren: 5.45

Edward: 6.31

Tanith: 6.36

Micaiah: 6.50

Tibarn: 6.59

Calill: 6.59

Boyd: 6.85

Mordecai: 7.17

Gatrie: 7.22

Marcia: 7.31

Naesala: 7.34

Zihark: 7.44

Nephenee: 7.74

Shinon: 7.90

Oscar: 8.11

Elincia: 8.21

Janaff: 8.28

Ulki: 8.32

Leanne: 8.38

Rafiel: 8.45

Mia: 8.45

Jill: 8.46

Volug: 8.87

Sothe: 8.93

Nailah: 9.00

Nolan: 9.06

Reyson: 9.07

Ike: 9.28

Titania: 9.76

Haar: 9.91

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh dude, I think you missed my post on the last page. I already tallied Tibarn (yes I was a bit harsh, but I pretty much threw out all of the garbage votes)

He got 7.21 if I calculated it correctly.

I counted 6.59 from my tally. I counted all of the votes because there was nothing wrong with them.

Naesala>Tibarn is pretty weird, but a) RTUs are a mess and b) I can kinda see it due to Silver Route wanting Naesala more than Hawk wants Tibarn due to desert utility in addition to royal-ness.

Anyways, Pelleas. He's pretty bad. He's joining underlevelled and is forced to use the inaccurate Dark and Thunder magic. Promotion gets him B Staves, which is pretty awesome. He's 100% growth unit though, which again makes him difficult to use in RD-land. You're pretty much forced to crown him if you want him to be of any use (B Staffs). But look at him compared to Bastian and Oliver:

HP    	Str    	Mag    	Skl    	Spe    	Luk	Def    	Res
x/12/1 Pelleas  37    	17     	26    	22    	23    	14    	18    	21
Base Oliver    	48    	22   	31    	22    	20    	28    	18    	32
Base Bastian    45    	21    	35    	27    	24    	21    	20    	32

He's pretty much outright losing against Bastian and Oliver, our two late game staff spammers. He's got nice growths, which is a nice plus for using him. But he's on a route where Tibarn and Elincia rolfstomp everything, which limits his EXP gain and forces BEXP use to get him going anywhere.

1/10 - Difficult to gain CEXP with due to the units he's with. I guess Thunder helps for endgame dragons, but you've already got Sanaki and Dragonfoe!someone to handle them.

Edited by Lucina

Dark Magic sucks.

Thunder magic sucks.

Pelleas' bases suck for his jointime.

Yeah, Pelleas isn't really good without lots of babying. His hit rates eternally stink, and sages in RD aren't great in the first place. I guess he can heal...

3/10 because you really could do worse.

Can we just drop the bitching about Tibarn, guys? There'll be an epilogue thread after the last day, save your arguments for there.

Pelleas is your only Dark Magic user before Lehran, so he's your best user of it before 4-E-5. That means nothing. Pelleas shows up part way through a chapter, so not only are you forced to deploy him, you can't BEXP him, or give him skills before either, so you can't get him caught up in his first map. His speed is sub-par, getting doubled by Halberdiers and Warriors, and doesn't double anything. He can long range stuff with Fenrir, and you get another one before his next chapter, so running out of uses means little, and it does do passable damage (21 on warriors, 11 to sages). However, Seiging, and potshots are all he's EVER likely to be doing unless you baby him, as he has too low speed to double anything, and he isn't ever going to battle dragons without getting killed. If he does get promoted, he can reach SS in Dark, S in thunder and staves, so if you do take him to endgame he can serve as a backup healer, and get Balberith blessed so that Lehran can contribute in 4-E-5. If only he helped out in 1-E and 3-13, where he would have some use. 2/10.

So wait, you can sort of see Naesala being basically a full point ahead of Tibarn because he might be useful in one chapter (one of the most overrated chapters in terms of difficulty?). Wow. That's some pretty awesome justification, I bet you're real good at doing your taxes too.

For fuck's sake, is this really that big a deal? I saw no problem with the ratings, either. If they have a justification, they should be counted, if you like it or not. A vote like this shouldn't be counted 'SEXY AS HELL 10/10'. Were there any in Tibarn's thread? Not that I've seen. So calm the fuck down and move on.

And the harping on Lucina is unneeded, please.

Just ignore me, folks. I don't want to derail the thread. It's just that that's been building up for a while.

Edited by ZM456

1/10. He just can't catch up, and being stuck with the two most inaccurate magic types doesn't help. And while you can have him bless Balberith for Lehran to use (if you got him), he (Lehran)'s probably worse off with it over Rexaura.

PS: I don't know how he could possibly trust frigging IZUKA, of all people. The same Izuka who, if the player played PoR, they'd likely recognize as being nothing but bad news.

Edited by Golden Cucco

For fuck's sake, is this really that big a deal? I saw no problem with the ratings, either. If they have a justification, they should be counted, if you like it or not. A vote like this shouldn't be counted 'SEXY AS HELL 10/10'. Were there any in Tibarn's thread? Not that I've seen. So calm the fuck down and move on.

And the harping on Lucina is unneeded, please.

If you didn't see a problem then you don't understand the concept of "subjectivity." & your standards are way too low. The current rules for the RD RTU threads are way to fucking lax. Users can get away with posting anything they want (and flat out misinformation) as long as if their post actual contains something more substantial than "lol 10/10 or 0/10 just cuz). I've also seen bandwagoning on an opinion that isn't altogether acceptable (see Ranufl thread) but gets a pass anyway. The Ranulf thread was somewhat understandable but the Tibarn situation is a goddamn nightmare.

The FE8 RTU threads went a lot smoother because Integrity pretty much threw out any trash vote without being contested at all.

EX:

http://serenesforest...6

And we see this in the tibarn thread

here:

If Tibarn beats any of these people, I'm going to punch someone.<br style="color: rgb(7, 55, 2); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(239, 255, 240); ">Great for when he's around, but only around for 3 chapters and lacks 1-2 range. 5/10 -bias because people are ridiculous 4/10

Bottles actually re-posted with an actual rating, which was nice. I only pointed this one out because 2-3 people actually used this as their original vote.

and Here:

As usual, this thread is full of terrible opinions.<br style="color: rgb(7, 55, 2); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(239, 255, 240); "><br style="color: rgb(7, 55, 2); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(239, 255, 240); ">5/10, pretty clutch when he's around. -1 bias (so 4/10) because fuck Tibarn.

He's like an unpromoted version of T_M, but that doesn't really. He's pretty clutch is around = / = proper explanation.

Our perspectives on things often differ, but Lucina, if you actually think these votes are acceptable then I don't know what to say... What the Fuck? I shouldn't derail the Pelleas thread(lol), but goddamn how the fuck does this slide.

Edited by Starwave

Save the Tibarn stuff for when this is over. I'm not going to discuss it until then.

Talk about Pelleas or please stop posting in this thread.

Lol

I got nothing, evidently the majority of the users in the RTU threads are absolutely ok with posting asinine and benighted opinion "because we want to be a happy, comformist family!" Guess there's no point in arguing further, RTU threads have officially hit rock bottom. I've done my best to snip away the bullshit, but I basically accomplished nothing. The equivalent of trying to kill a bear with a stick.

I read you loud and clear boss.

Pelleas is a shitty unit with shitty magic, comes at low level and has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I wonder why IS even gave him to us as a second playthrough character. 1/10

Edited by Starwave

Lol

I got nothing, evidently the majority of the users in the RTU threads are absolutely ok with posting asinine and benighted opinion "because we want to be a happy, comformist family!" Guess there's no point in arguing further, RTU threads have officially hit rock bottom. I've done my best to snip away the bullshit, but I basically accomplished nothing. The equivalent of trying to kill a bear with a stick.

I read you loud and clear boss.

Pelleas is a shitty unit with shitty magic, comes at low level and has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I wonder why IS even gave him to us as a second playthrough character. 1/10

youd-totally-win-the-hunger-games-if-passive-aggresive-behavior-could-kill.png

And Pelleas can try to kill guys that spawn at starting position. 2.5/5, Bias included

What shotguner said, so 2/10.

As for Naesala > Tibarn, that's half due to bias and half due to people overrating Naesala as far as I can tell.

As for the Integ thing, PKL broke rules, counting recruitment against a unit and the "not x" rule. Integ also has a pretty solid reputation around here and was a lot less antagonistic in his responses.

Eh, Pelleas is kinda useless. He can take out some reinforcements in 4-2 and maybe do some Fenrir sieging in 4-5 that probably won't make a difference anyway. He is definitely not worth an endgame slot no matter how screwed you are. It's also really hard to train him if you want to use him because those 4-5 Laguz pwn him for breakfast even after he had managed some levels under his belt.

To be fair I haven't actually tried raising him, but I think these points are fairly valid.

1.5/10

Starwave, honestly, im using Rajaion Red. That green font is fucking awful! Im not changing skins or highlighting your pithy words anyway! In short, stop that. :P:

Pelleas, the naive young king of Daein.

Pros:

Whoa Dark Magic user in Tellius! At last!!!

Not bad growths...not bad at all.

Staff rank is NICE on promotion.

yee.

Comes with personal siege tome!

Cons:

Base level is poopy.

Bases arent hot.

Bit slow.

Needs some serious handholding.

Why didnt he join sooner...

Poor sad little Pelleas. Hes just so confused. For someone who entered a spirit pact at 13, you'd think he'd have more experience kicking ass. That doesnt mean he cant, it just doesnt come to him naturally at first. He can stomp shit for some meaty chip with that there dark magic hes got. (and siege tome) His growths are pretty good. He is sure to cap skill within maybe 3 levels from base. (making him not a bad candidate for Pavise) Once he does promote, Pelleas gets a pretty nice staff rank. He can physic spam right from the start after promotion. Not bad...But he comes at level 12 so hes gonna need some serious love to get anywhere. Lots of Reysoning and kill feeding if he wants a good start on his joining level. His bases kinda hurt because hes slow and a bit fragile at first. Hes not around much which is disappointing because he could have been kinda awesome for parts of Part 3. I know plot demanded him to stay behind but alas....

Overall, Pelleas is take him or leave him. I only see people really using him only because they like him. Im no exception to this. I think hes a cool character with unique magic. (well until Sephiran anyway)

2.5/10. 3.5/10 bias because i like Pelleas and hes kinda cute.

A rather lame Sage that joins rather late. Can promote for auto-B Staves which despite his lower availability puts him ahead of Astrid atleast. Plus the Fenrir Tome if a little bit a of ranged damage is really necessary. He's usable but requires you saving a Master Crown for him.

Would have been slightly better if he joined before the 4-2 preparation Screen since you'd be able to promote him before the start of the chapter and give him Discipline too help boost his staff rank.

2.5/10

His bases aren't too good when he joins, he's less flexible than other sages, and he's not even promoted yet. Oh boy. This was so worth the effort of two playthroughs (though you can't fault his gameplay performance for that). Pelleas's existence just feels like a novelty since he's the only dark sage minus Lehran, the only unit who out-novelties Pelleas. His unique claim to fame is possibly S-ranking in staves, and virtually exclusive use of Fenrir and the other dark magic tomes. He just joins way too late, when he could have been useful in the Dawn Brigade's late part 1 or even some of their part 3. His character is also infuriatingly naive. At least I would rather use him than Meg or Fiona if I had to pick from people who get doubled and possibly ORKO'd in their starting chapters gee_wiz_emoticon.gif

1/10

He should start as tier3 but he is not...............well.

1.0 for siege tome, chip damage and maybe decent staff user if you can get him to tier3

0.5 bias for decent character development(he gets more than entire Dawn Brigand combine)

Overall 1.5

Edited by Jimmy_Smith

You'll need a lot of Patience to Raise this guy and use him in endgame. Even when near his full potential, His Hit vs Ashera is atrocious...

2.5/10. +1 Bias cuz Dark Sage so 3.5/10

Starwave, honestly, im using Rajaion Red. That green font is fucking awful! Im not changing skins or highlighting your pithy words anyway! In short, stop that. :P:

Personally I'm glade he does that so I don't get to read his shitty opinions.

Anyway .5/10. A shit mage is a shit mage, especially when you join as a 2nd tier in Part 4.