Special Heroes: Icy Invitation

This month's Special Heroes banner is featuring Felicia, Flora, Thea, a Fjorm + Nifl Duo, and Nils as the TT+ unit. Every unit here is from someplace cold and the banner is featuring ice-themes, with Felicia's weapon straight-up being titled "Ice-Tribe Axe," which tells me that the Ice Tribe from Fates will be the main theme. However, Thea's weapon is also titled "Ilian Forst Blade," so who knows?

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

IS, pls. Nils was already a TT+ reward unit before. While I don't have an issue with the choices of Flora, Felicia, and Thea for this banner, Nils deserved better than being a TT+ unit again.

Also, WTF is with the sailor scout-like outfits?

On the note of Fjorm and Nifl, the OCs can go and stay go imo but that's just me. Also, four girls and the only guy being the TT+ reward is typical but I've whined about that a million times and they still keep doing it so

EDIT: Just for posterity's sake, let it be stated clearly that THEA of all units got better treatment than Takumi and Leo on virtue of being female.

Edited by Sunwoo

Well I got my wish from the flame festival and got another Felicia and Flora, I was curious what standard clothing their tribe would wear, but we got ice skating outfits which I'm not against. 

I'll probably turn Nils into a merge project, been sitting on a ton of grails and feathers, and I never got around to building a dragon dancer.

The TT unit being the only unit I'm interested in is a rare treat. I think I'd skip this banner entirely if I weren't humming and hawing over Air Orders 4, and even then I don't think I'm going to donate many Orbs for it.

Oh wow, Nils as a grail unit again, IS? Stop trying to make me care about him.

4 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

EDIT: Just for posterity's sake, let it be stated clearly that THEA of all units got better treatment than Takumi and Leo on virtue of being female.

These are the same guys that gave Cath a premium seasonal alt about six months after adding her into FEH.

Personally, I’m just numb to IS’s bizarre choices at this point.

Well safe skip for me since of the units I only like Nils, but making him TT again is not funny though they did the same thing to Haar with him being GHB then TT.  I hope this doesn't mean the next Binding Blade banner will be Ilian and screw Elphin over again, though with my luck it will.

Checking in because I optimistically thought that a year after Catria appeared on this banner that there'd be a chance of Palla. More fool me. 🙃

Actually, seeing that Thea art, I'm pretty glad we didn't get Palla. Meanwhile Felicia and Flora just look drunk.

Huh, would've thought Felicia would've been a Staff unit due to the shape of her weapon. Guess I was wrong then, heh.

Also, considering the line-up, they should've just gone and used Ninian instead of Nils.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Sunwoo said:

...How? Thea has her base form - which was a demote - a backpack, and now, one premium seasonal. Said seasonal is here 5 1/2 years after her base form and 3 1/2 years after her backpack. Takumi and Leo have demote/grail alts, yes, but also premium seasonal alts and more alts in general.

Edited by Florete

I am pretty sure Thea is not treated better than Takumi. Takumi got six versions; Thea got three. On debut, Takumi: Wild Card got Close Counter and dominated the Arena meta; Thea: Stormy Flier is rather forgetable. When Takumi: Prince at Play was released, he was the second flying archer ever released and got a better stat distribution than Hinoka: Blue Sky Warrior; Thea: Wings of Winter is a new modern unit with a shiny new Air Orders, but she does not really stand out and is not particularly game changing. Thea's most relevant meta presence is when she is with Catria: Azure Wing Pair as part of a flier ball defense team in Aether Raids, which was pretty good, but I do not think they are as oppressive as Takumi: Wild Card and Hector: Brave Warrior was in Arena.

Thea is treated a bit better than Leo, but being treated better than Leo is not a very high bar to clear. Leo: Sorcerous Prince's meta relevance did not last very long, but he was the only red mage cavalry for a while and was pretty decent in a Bladetome cavalry team. Currently, discounting Arcane Weapons, Leo: Shrouded Heart is the most usable version, but not particularly good. Leo got five versions though, so that is something Thea still cannot beat.

And being a lady does not mean better treatment. In terms of more alts? Sure. In terms of mechanics? No. There are plenty of really strong dudes that defined the meta for years. Ike: Brave Mercenary was THE super tank in which all others were measured. The best Save tanks for a while were Gustav: Majestic Love and Hector: Brave Warrior. And with his recent Refine, Seteth: Seiros Adherent rivals his sister and Elimine as really strong support units for tanks. Leif: Unifier of Thracia was the first ranged Galeforcer. Speaking of Galeforce, while Felix: Sword Savant is not the first double Galeforcer, he is a better double Galeforcer than all the Edelgards.

Edited by XRay

10 minutes ago, Florete said:

...How? Thea has her base form - which was a demote - a backpack, and now, one premium seasonal. Said seasonal is here 5 1/2 years after her base form and 3 1/2 years after her backpack. Takumi and Leo have demote/grail alts, yes, but also premium seasonal alts and more alts in general.

I meant in comparison to the Hoshido festival banner's Takumi and Leo, not overall treatment forever ever for all the history of FEH ever.

This banner is so meh. The units are good, but the theme is so meh.

Why 3 of the girls are wearing ice skates, but are mounted units?

I also wished there was another male character here. The only male we have not only is free but also a child. I think they could have done like... Yuri (and I am not saying it because of Yuri on Ice lol, I just think he would do great as a ice skating unit)

Edit - Also, another disappointment: ANOTHER colorless demote, and ANOTHER Blue Duo Hero.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

dpIMMPP.png

It should have been you, bro. It should have been you.

He never had a chance when they can't even put him on the CYL ballot (which I can't imagine takes that much effort).

The list of characters who weren't on the CYL ballot when they were added to FEH can still be counted on one hand: Altina, Bramimond, Ullr, Elimine, Fomortiis (and the latter three still aren't on the ballot).

1 hour ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I also wished there was another male character here. The only male we have not only is free but also a child. I think they could have done like... Yuri (and I am not saying it because of Yuri on Ice lol, I just think he would do great as a ice skating unit)

IS seems committed to never giving seasonal alts to any of the Ashen Wolves. That's another one of their bizarre choices, especially with how popular Yuri is in particular.

Okay, saw this on reddit and just have to share, because I find it hilarious and awesome at the same time

gvke7o87bxmd1.png

14 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

He never had a chance when they can't even put him on the CYL ballot (which I can't imagine takes that much effort).

In my heart of hearts I knew that, but I still dared to dream. I'm also the guy that hoped the Elder of Arcadia would be on the Arcadia banner, which was a much more remote chance.

14 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

The list of characters who weren't on the CYL ballot when they were added to FEH can still be counted on one hand: Altina, Bramimond, Ullr, Elimine, Fomortiis (and the latter three still aren't on the ballot).

And Fomortiis absolutely should be on CYL. He even has a portrait in game.

Edited by Jotari

Nils appears to be drawn by Kippu again, which is nice since I like Nils's base version's art.

And I continue to be confused at what they're doing with the Sacred Seal rewards, as they have Finish as the lower-score reward yet again. We have Spd/Res Finish and Atk/Def Oath, it seems.

It's a bit bothersome that they're now using the Spd Wave 4 skills as an excuse to not give units Null Follow-Up, which forces the unit to run Spd Wave 4 in the C slot over other skills since it's the only skill that grants Null Follow-Up in any slot other than the weapon and B slots.

Anyways, Fjorm and Nifl are cute, though their faces in their attacking art look funny. Shield Fighter also looks really good and probably makes Ascended Fjorm finally actually worth using. It looks like it's a tier-4 branch of Hardy Fighter, which is nice for inheritance.

And the usual translation notes:

The name of the banner, "Icy Invitation", is "氷の国への誘い" (kōri no kuni e no sasoi), "Invitation to the Nation of Ice".

Felicia's epithet, "Confidently Cold", is "寒さに挫けぬ心" (samusa ni kujikenu kokoro), "Not Disheartened By the Cold".

Ice-Tribe Axe is "氷の部族の雪斧" (kōri no buzoku no setsufu), "Snow Axe of the Ice Tribe".

S/R Near Trace is "速さ魔防の近影" (hayasa mabō no kin'ei), "Spd/Res Near Trace". As usual, "影" (ei), which typically means "shadow" or "image", here means "trace", as in something that is left behind.

Thea's epithet, "Wings of Winter", is "風雪に舞う翼" (fūsetsu ni mau tsubasa), "Wings Dancing In the Wind and Snow". "舞う" (mau), "to dance", traditionally refers to dances with a focus on spinning, as opposed to "踊る" (odoru), which is used for dances with a focus on jumping, and as a result is commonly used to describe wind-related motion.

Ilian Frost Blade is "イリアの吹雪の剣" (iria no fubuki no ken), "Ilian Blizzard Sword". Because only non-sword weapons can be called "swords".

Air Orders is "先導の伝令・天" (sendō no denrei: ten), "Guidance Orders: Sky".

Flora's epithet, "Polar-Perfect", is "寒くても完璧" (samukute mo kanpeki), "Perfect Despite the Cold".

Ice Dagger is "氷の暗器" (kōri no anki), "Ice Dagger". As usual, "暗器" (anki), literally "hidden weapon", is the name of the dagger weapon type.

Fjorm's epithet, "Gleaming Ice Pair", is "煌めく双氷" (kirameku sōhyō), "Sparkling Paired Ice".

Ice-Crystal Spear is "ニフルの氷晶の槍" (nifuru no hyōshō no yari), "Nifl's Ice-Crystal Spear".

Dual Ice Mirrors is "双氷の聖鏡" (sōhyō no seikyō), "Holy Mirror of Paired Ice".

Deluge Boost is "生命の疾風静水" (seimei no shippū seisui), "Gale/Clear Water of Lifeblood". As usual, the Boost skill series strangely reverses the relationship of the stat indicators and the series name in Japanese.

Shield Fighter is "連盾隊形" (renjun taikei), "Shield-Wall Formation". "連盾" (renjun) literally translates as "linked shields". As usual, "隊形" (taikei), "formation", is the name of the Fighter skill series, hence why the skill icons are are formation of units represented by dots.

Nils's epithet, "Snowflake Melody", is "氷晶の調べ" (hyōshō no shirabe), "Melody of Ice Crystals".

Ice Dragonstone is "氷竜の竜石" (hyōryū no ryūseki), "Ice Dragon Dragonstone".

Reginn's epithet, "Dvergr Heir", is "小人の国の後継者" (kobito no kuni no kōkeisha), "Successor to the Kingdom of Dwarves".

Dvergr Wayfinder is "ニザヴェリルの理槍" (nizaveriru no risō), "Nidavellir's Principles Lance". "理槍" (risō) is a novel compound translating as "lance of reason" or "lance of principles". However, it's probably not a coincidence that it's also a homophone with "理想" (risō), "ideals".

Edited by Ice Dragon

Next new unit introduced in Past King, Future Queen [SPOILERS]:

Spoiler

https://www.reddit.com/r/FireEmblemHeroes/comments/1f9gniq/datamine_september_5_2024_utc_new_book_5_alt/

It’s the expected Reginn alt.

And not that we need it, but she appears to be yet another new unit type. She has an internal abbreviation that hasn’t been used before (Acce).

TT+ final map layout and new unit’s weapon [SPOILERS]:

11 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Oh wow, Nils as a grail unit again, IS? Stop trying to make me care about him.

These are the same guys that gave Cath a premium seasonal alt about six months after adding her into FEH.

Personally, I’m just numb to IS’s bizarre choices at this point.

To be fair, Cath was an absolutely perfect fit for the phantom thief themed banner.

3 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I had this remote hope that if Felicia and Flora would appear, Jakob would be the demote or Tempest Trial unit, but as much as the banner’s aesthetic would suit him, I’d like to see him get a second alt on another banner, preferably a rerun of the maid/butler banner or a Fates child banner.

I don’t like Yuri at all, yet I think that would be hilarious. He would probably look good in the color palette for this banner.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Okay, saw this on reddit and just have to share, because I find it hilarious and awesome at the same time

gvke7o87bxmd1.png

In my heart of hearts I knew that, but I still dared to dream. I'm also the guy that hoped the Elder of Arcadia would be on the Arcadia banner, which was a much more remote chance.

And Fomortiis absolutely should be on CYL. He even has a portrait in game.

Formortiis ISN’T on the CYL ballot?! Still? And here I was shocked that Kotaro (from Fates) still is not on the CYL ballot.

This is a different direction than I was expecting for an Ice Tribe banner (I was expecting something based on the Fates sorceror aesthetic,) but I love the frosty and cool color schemes and the ice skating theme combined with a look inspired by the Maid class dresses.

I was a little disappointed that everyone on this banner has already had at least one alt. I enjoy when either new characters are added as alts or when characters get their first alts. However, I really like Felicia and Nils, and Felicia and Flora haven’t had an alt in several years. For this reason, I’m also hoping Jakob will get another alt at some point.

So, Nils is the freebie. Everyone else is a girl, and in outfits that actually remind me more of Askr and Nifl (they like to use feathers a lot.) The silhouette is maidlike, but at least it's not just a Nohrian maid uniform. However, I kind of hate these outfits' designs. Also, they don't really feel like they'd be the traditional Ice Tribe garb, based on what clear examples we have (Flora and Felicia's dad's outfit, the other generic Ice Tribe members.) I somehow totally misremembered what Ice Dad's outfit looked like. I'm editing this to say that I'm glad it kind of looks like it's modeled after it. It still doesn't quite feel right, though.

So, speaking personally, I'm happy that this theme happened. I don't like the execution of it. That said, I don't have to like it. I can save orbs (since the only one I care about is free.) My life and my happiness are not dependent on what some other company decides to put out. ^_^ I'll just make my own stories and art the way I like them (original stuff, of course. I'm not about to try to change someone else's canon.) There. Problem solved. It's so nice how perspective can totally change one's mood! ^_^ (This has been Merc working through disappointment.)

Extra notes: I'm glad Nifl has an ice vein ability. Also, what's with all the ice skates? I'd be all "okay, cool" if they gave a cavalry effect over ice, but some are mounted and still wearing skates. I fear for those horses and that pegasus. Poor things, getting lacerated like that.

Now to see everyone else's impressions!

Edit: The outfits are based more on the Ice Tribe garb than I remembered, so glad about that. Not that I like the designs.

Also, I meant to share a lineup I'd been thinking would make sense, but IS really didn't go with it. One thing was that this would have been a great opportunity for Flora and Felicia's dad to be added to the game. Another thing is that having representatives from a lot of games (in this case, from cold-climate nations) and only 1 from the host would've worked well. Silisce (if I'm remembering that place's name right - the one from FE4 with all the peg knights and wind mages), Faerghus, Ilya (I'm probably spelling that wrong), Elusia, Nifl... We got some of those, but...the choices are just so bland... We could've at least had Florina over Thea. Honestly, if we were going to get both of the ice twins, I would've rather had them as a duo unit. And as for Nifl... Just Nifl by herself would've been fine. Or Gunnthra. We just got Summer Hrid, otherwise I would've rather we got him. Ylgr would've been fine, I guess (provided she got something to wear underneath that dress because good golly no.) And then you have to wonder how Rosado would've done this, also being a cold-climate kid.

Edited by Mercakete

26 minutes ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

To be fair, Cath was an absolutely perfect fit for the phantom thief themed banner.

That has nothing to do with the fact that she got premium treatment there for no real reason. Meanwhile elsewhere on that banner, Sothe got the short end of the stick despite being more popular than all of the ladies (except arguably Kagero) present.

If IS’s name actually meant anything, that theme would’ve been saved for 2023 (or later) so that they could’ve used Yunaka.

6 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Also, they don't really feel like they'd be the traditional Ice Tribe garb, based on what clear examples we have (Flora and Felicia's dad's outfit, the other generic Ice Tribe members.)

To be fair, we don't have ANY example of Ice Tribe attire. Kilma's clothes are actually the generic clothes for the male Sorcerer class. If you promote Odin to that class, he will have the same clothes had Kilma.

Since they didn't really have anything to be based on, they just gave them some Ice Staking performers based clothes (even though 3 of the are in mounted classes so makes no sense to have ice skates). Those outfits are as much Ice Tribe as Peach's Figure Skater outfit from Princess Peach Showtime.

3 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

To be fair, we don't have ANY example of Ice Tribe attire. Kilma's clothes are actually the generic clothes for the male Sorcerer class. If you promote Odin to that class, he will have the same clothes had Kilma.

Since they didn't really have anything to be based on, they just gave them some Ice Staking performers based clothes (even though 3 of the are in mounted classes so makes no sense to have ice skates). Those outfits are as much Ice Tribe as Peach's Figure Skater outfit from Princess Peach Showtime.

And now I'm disappointed again. XD; I'll work through it again.

52 minutes ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

Formortiis ISN’T on the CYL ballot?! Still? And here I was shocked that Kotaro (from Fates) still is not on the CYL ballot.

Yup.  I would definitely rate Fomortiis, Kotaro and Sommie as the three most blatant absences from CYL, with Fomortiis at number 1. The absence of Sommie might suggest they don't want to include a non human on the banner which is why Fomortiis isn't there, but, like 1)That's not true because Ananokos is a giant freaking sphere on CYL (despite actually having a human face they can use) 2)Even if non-humans are barred, they could still use Possessed Lyon's portrait for Fomortiis. They already use a hooded Robin portrait to represent Grima and the two characters are practically in the exact same scenario.

6 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Is that less true than any of the other banners like this we've seen? Khadein has no official designs, just the generic mage sprites. Nor does the Fire Tribe, just the aesthetic of the general Oni Savage class. Same with Plegia, that's just how sorcerers look in Awakening regardless as to where they're from.

Edited by Jotari