Windows Live Messenger will be taken offline next year

Raven

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, you have to get whatever I end up picking so we can still talk >:D.

Sure, I'll do that. It's totally worth downloading a program I really don't care about so someone who likes bothering me a few times a month can continue to pester me. Totally. :rolleyes:

Edited by Harry Dresden

oh yeah for all the people complaining that skype is laggy, get better computers :V

Its not even old computers that would cause laggy skype. That would be dumpy interwebz connections and not updating skype. My skype was laggy as fuck all but since it updated, i havent had a problem at all. Before the update, it would crash randomly. So yeah, update your skype, guys!

highly doubt they'll get rid of hotmail.

I hope not. Ive been using the same email for over 10 years now and like...it would a mega pain in my arse to get a new one. hahaha!

Oh yeah, MSN. loooool i stopped using that well over a year ago.

Edited by Florina Stark

hey crash guess what

you can make it so that only your contacts can message you

how's that huh

also they will probably work on skype and make it, oh I don't know, a bit more accessible? (re: laggy/comp can't use it/etc.)

My main form of IM is IRC.

IRC will never die.

Yup yup yup ^~^ That's pretty much all I use...

But there's still Emerald who I find on messenger more often than IRC... so if emerald gets a skype then I can switch over~!

But I also have Kitty of Time so there's that too =3

I don't like switching to new things though because I'm slow to get used to them ;n;

You know what the trouble is? Skype is P2P. There have been instances of people getting DDOSed because their skype username happened to be the same as their IGN, and someone got annoyed at them in-game. I'm given to understand that it's about an hour's work to write up a program as follows: input skype username, return IP address, ISP, real-life location (though getting the actual address or not probably depends on how they're hooked up to the internet).

I knew this was going to happen eventually when they announced the moving of hotmail/live accounts to outlook.com months ago. I really don't want this to happen. Skype may have superior voice/video chat, but I prefer WLM for text messaging. Skype has yet to have, and probably will not get anytime soon, the amount of add-ons like Messenger Plus! (for text/bg customization, adding shortcuts/sound-clips to text, and many other things with simple scripts), ability to play games/video on the same window or the variety of great mobile apps that consume less battery/have better interfaces & responses.

Since Skype was removed from most multi-platform IM services, you're virtually forced to use their app (in personal experience, the skype app in text chat tends to heat up my phone fast in comparison to 2 apps with 3 different* accounts on at once of WLM that don't) or the few sucksy multi-platform clients that support it (I can only recall imo). *The multiple accounts at once anywhere is not a concern for most people, but another thing I prefer of WLM. If anyone knows how to do this with Skype, please inform me.

There's more I could say of Windows Live Messenger, but to each, their own favorite chat client. I wouldn't be surprised if Messenger lost over 75% of its activity ever since they forced people to update to the new version or else they couldn't log in. The new version screwed the interface, forced features and removed cool ones like drawing. I know many people that don't use it as much as they used to because they didn't search how to get back to the 2009 version. Personally, I love WLM, wouldn't change it for any of the over 20 IM services I've used before (not exaggerating the #), and just hope Skype or another service can soon attempt to compare to the 2009 version of WLM.

Like pervs?

My entire family lives in Canada. I live in Israel. Aside from flying to Canada or them flying to here, how else will I see them?

But there's still Emerald who I find on messenger more often than IRC... so if emerald gets a skype then I can switch over~!

Awww, I'm touched. But yeah, it won't happen until March of next year, more than enough time to figure things out. I mean, I might get Skype if I'll be somewhere with internet. Also, I used both MSN and IRC when I had normal internet, awww yeah.

Still plenty of people!

Clearly not enough to be profitable and remain open.

It's super laggy on mine, which does NOT suck AND can handle MSN perfectly. Gee, I wonder what that means...

That your computer actually does suck and needs a memory upgrade?

Like pervs?

Like regular human beings. Talking eye to eye with people, it seems, is actually pretty normal.

Yes, it's redundant.

So they shouldn't have wasted their money buying Skype!

Even though more people use and enjoy Skype?

Considering that article says they're integrating the two, I don't really see why this would affect anyone that much. I only talk to like two people on MSN anyway and I don't use skype very much, so this will barely affect me.