Is the main reason why no one uses Meg is because of her appearance?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And this was on Normal mode. I couldn't imagine trying to use her in Hard mode.
My Dawn Brigade, alone, is having the most difficult time surviving on HM, right now. I'd be dead-locked into a corner if not for Jill and Zihark. I don't have the patience or time to spend doting on Meg. (Armor Knights aren't big on my preferred unit types, anyway.)

Heck, Ilyana is bad in both game and as a a character she is as flat as it gets, being solely defined by her eating disorder which is played entirely for comedy. And yet she is still pretty popular.

To be fair, Ilyana doesnt suck too much in PoR. I dont use her because Soren is my honey badger but yeah. Most people with a brain dont use Ilyana in RD because she sucks really bad in that game. If people do use her there, its probably for the following reasons:

-They used Ilyana in PoR and have transfers.

-For Rexbolt fun but usually only in conjunction with the above.

-She's their favorite Tellius character.

-All Female Runs.

-All Mage Runs.

-They are masochists.

-Because shes cute.

Yeah, the cute reason is pretty much last on the list.

Why people dont use Meg:

-Because her stats dont jive with her class.

-Shes a bitch to train.

-Bad Movement.

-EXP is hella strained in the DB chapters.

-Jill does everything better.

-Underleveled when she appears.

-Meh

-Because shes not cute by their standards.

Yeah, Meg not being a super model is kind of an after thought.

Reasons people WOULD use Meg:

-Because fuck the police.

-Shes adorable.

-If trained properly (outside of Hard Mode), she can be a decent unit.

-All Female Runs.

-Because they're masochists.

-Meg + Alondite = THE PINK KNIGHT.

Well, Ilyana has her uses in the Dawn Brigade with her 2-range chip damage. You can roll the dice for some important crits and she also doesn't get bogged down by sand. But then Tormod comes along and replaces her outright in functionality. When Ilyana joins the GMs, she's clearly underleveled with bad growths and no long term potential. It's a different set of problems but Ilyana is unquestionable useful in the early chapters. Meg and Fiona just join without any outstanding characteristics and require immediate investment in forges and BEXP, to only be subpar compared to other GMs like Jill and Nolan.

To put into perspective how bad armor knights are as a class, Gatrie has fantastic bases similar to Ike and well-appointed growths and a decent affinity and yet the demerits of being an armor knight really drag him down. He would probably rise a whole tier or two if he didn't have such a low speed cap and movement issues.

I've used Meg many times even once on NM and on NM she was actually pretty decent, but at the expense of my other units that could of used that BEXP to force her growths like Jill or Nolan. I choose not to use meg not because of her portrait or her stats or her slow movement (because that could be fixed by celerity quite easily) but because she is Sword locked and she will get destroyed in the first couple of chapters without a decent forge.

Meg is adorable man. I'd use her a lot more if she was easier to train, because Alondite!Meg is the best thing ever, even better than Alondite!Mist. ;D

Edited by Kon

Lots of people hate on Makalov because he's ugly and has a bad personality, even though he's good in FE9. Meanwhile, lots of people like Rolf, because he's a cute shota. So, yeah, I do think that attractiveness is a big factor in popularity. Which is maybe why everyone in FE13 is attractive!

I don't like armor knights, therefore I don't use Meg. FE10!Brom is usable in part 2 but I don't bother with him afterwards. FE10!Gatrie is the only armor I like in the entire series. As a unit. Add to the fact that Meg is underleveled and in a group that is just as underleveled, nope.

Fuck that. I love the pink haired bastard in pretty much every way (In FE9 at least. He looks a bit rapey in FE10, though I still like him as a character and unit).

That said, he's also probably a bit underrated in FE10, too.

I think he looks more stoned than rapey, but otherwise all of this. I really need to use him more. <3 Maybe I just have a thing for bad characters, 'cause I also love using Astrid and Rolf and even Tormod! It was difficult and tedious, but I got him all the way up to third tier and brought him to the endgame. Gotta love dat Paragon.~

...Actually, I shouldn't even bother anymore.

If Meg were hot/cute, yeah, people would probably use her more often. She's not good, but at least in Easy/Normal, she isn't that bad. People use horrible units all the time, so saying "she's bad" isn't much of an excuse for a lot of people.

It's not easy when you have a lot of weak units who are hungry for BEXP you sparsely have. And they turn out better than her. Edward/Jill/Nolan and possibly Leonardo are much better than Meg. They're the best candidates to waste BEXP on, based on this.

I don't use her because she has bad move, cant be shoved easily, has terrible terrain penalties, has terrible offense and survivability, her bases suck, her growths suck for her class, her caps in all tiers are bad, she doesnt use hand axes/javelins, her sprite sux, she's boring, her support affinity sux....the list goes on

I don't use her because her bases suck, she's underleveled, she can't do what an armor's supposed to be good at, there's not enough exp to go around, and everyone else in the DB makes better use of the exp than she does. And consider that this is coming from someone who regularly uses Fiona...

I use her from time to time in easy mode, she caps speed and some other stats early, meaning she can be Bexped to promote twice within part 1 while capping nearly all stats. (It's not hard to use only 2 units in part 1, making them OP)

after that, when hitting part 4, she starts getting useless again due to low caps. :(

Man, the last Meg I trained capped speed early but still had 10 str halfway through tier 2. Even Fiona was in better shape (yes, I tried to train them both, it's easy mode, Fiona even made it to 3rd tier). And her skill was also terrible. PEMN but even when other characters like Nolan faced getting str screwed and Edward was speed screwed once he hit tier 2 for some strangely long period of time, they were still better off and I didn't even give them forges. That said it was pretty easy to get most of my characters to 3rd tier in easy mode. They just shower exp all over you, it's pretty absurd.