Fakeclaim Mafia - Game Over

BBM

Grassbridger's obsession with word choice reminds me of Avatar (I think) mafia, where he put me as a significant scum read (or at least scummier than several other players) over wording issues. Both he and I were town in that game. Grassbridger, is nitpicking at Levity's word choices really going to help you find scum?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's mostly how you're accusing me of publicly announcing scum intent? You're suggesting I'd publicly announce scum intent as scum and it's bothering me. I understand telling me I wasted part of a post to basically announce a null read which was my bad

I'm not posting anymore tonight because I've spammed enough

I guess I can see that, wasn't quite sure what you meant by that.

Early reads are annoying, goofing one up can get you botched depending on how the playing goes (It's happened to me at Epicmafia)

This attitude is starting to making me uneasy. It's like you're getting really self-conscious over early reads (in that phase where most of the game has no information).

I have a really bad headache and don't really have anything to say at the moment. I can't say that at this point I find anything that really bugs me.

Ok, so my initial post wasn't about word choice (at least, not in my mind), but then Viata said (paraphrased) "well my word choice was weird, when I said 'wanted' I really meant 'wanted'." So I don't think that clarified anything. I guess I can see how this breaks down to word choice, and I know that's a thing I jump on erroneously (yay F2F experience), but when I posted it was like "I see a scumslip" and that's it.

Viata: I don't know what kinds of mistakes experienced players make versus inexperienced players, and I don't know your level of experience. This is the first game I've played with you. I'm not assuming any skill or lack of skill. What's the problem? That I thought you might have made a mistake?

Boron: it was Kirby Mafia that just finished like a week ago, not Avatar (unless it happened there too). I found BBM scummy for something really frivolous, I forget what. I accused him seriously, but mostly as a reaction test... then I got bogged down in defending myself because I was dumb, and people found me increasingly scummy the rest of the game. Hmm, sounds familiar...

##Unvote

It wasn't much to go on and as Boron pointed out, this is a mistake I have made before.

Er. I was not implying Viata was a dumbass; that post started out calling myself a dumbass and then I decided it would be more rhetorically effective to make a point about experience not necessarily giving wisdom if I called someone older a dumbass. Apologies for spam.

Uhhh. . .my response was in reply to the bolded sentence.

Ok, so my initial post wasn't about word choice (at least, not in my mind), but then Viata said (paraphrased) "well my word choice was weird, when I said 'wanted' I really meant 'wanted'." So I don't think that clarified anything. I guess I can see how this breaks down to word choice, and I know that's a thing I jump on erroneously (yay F2F experience), but when I posted it was like "I see a scumslip" and that's it.

Viata: I don't know what kinds of mistakes experienced players make versus inexperienced players, and I don't know your level of experience. This is the first game I've played with you. I'm not assuming any skill or lack of skill. What's the problem? That I thought you might have made a mistake?

Boron: it was Kirby Mafia that just finished like a week ago, not Avatar (unless it happened there too). I found BBM scummy for something really frivolous, I forget what. I accused him seriously, but mostly as a reaction test... then I got bogged down in defending myself because I was dumb, and people found me increasingly scummy the rest of the game. Hmm, sounds familiar...

##Unvote

It wasn't much to go on and as Boron pointed out, this is a mistake I have made before.

I have no idea how you got that out of what I said.

Votals

Psych (1): Elieson

Euklyd (1): Scorri

Polydeuces (4): Boron, Eclipse, Paperblade, Objection

Scorri (2): Refa, Euklyd

Manix (2): Shinori, Bizz

Shinori (1): Bearclaw

Grassbridger (1): Manix

Boron (1): Weapons

Not Voting (4): Psych, Polydeuces, Kay, Grassbridger

With 17 players alive, it takes 6 to lynch at deadline and 9 to hammer. Phase ends at 9 PM EDT on September 24th (1 AM GMT on September 25th). Slightly less than 67.5 hours left.

I really need to get a non RVS vote out there, so I'll be rereading the thread, and at the very least, posting my reads if not putting down a vote right on the spot.

No, I did not think it was a legitimate reason. I would imagine that legitimate reasons are very rare on Day 1, although I could just as easily be wrong.

I'd think they're rather rare in RVS phase. I just wanted to make sure.

Regardless of who is lynched on D1 (as long as it's SOMEONE), reads can be drawn, which in turn helps to fuel later lynches.

Lynching a townie is worse than a no lynch. I agree with you that we should go for a lynch (like you said, reads can be drawn), but if there remains reasonable doubt whether someone is or is not mafia, we should at least hold off on the lynch until that doubt is cleared.

I have scumvibes from Manix tbh

Care to explain why that is? I haven't played any previous games with Manix, so I'm not really aware of his playstyle. You mean like a gut read sort of thing, or a "We should definitely be looking out for him" read?

not sure what this was meant for refa? for one the question wasn't aimed at you, and two, I already got a response (which i wasn't terribly happy with, but what can you do)

I felt that the answer was rather obvious, but I shouldn't have answered for Euklyd. My apologies.

@Refa: I disagree with what you said about lynches.

Care to elaborate?

Bizz already explained his read on Manix more though so...

I read through that, and while I get the basis behind his suspicion (correct me if I'm wrong, but it's based on Manix's meta of asking a lot of specific questions), I'm questioning the degree of those suspicions. Is it a gutread thing that he's just noting for future reference, or is he telling us that he finds Manix suspicious?

Lynching a townie is worse than a no lynch. I agree with you that we should go for a lynch (like you said, reads can be drawn), but if there remains reasonable doubt whether someone is or is not mafia, we should at least hold off on the lynch until that doubt is cleared.

Well, yes and no... Obviously, it's strictly better to have more townies alive than fewer, but it's usually worth taking the risk of lynching town in order to have a chance at lynching scum. Plus, you get associative reads off flips, etc.

re lynching (and this will be the only thing i say about this): if you do not lynch, you cannot lynch the scum (unless you have a vig)

hence, you cannot win if you do not lynch

that is all

Well, yes and no... Obviously, it's strictly better to have more townies alive than fewer, but it's usually worth taking the risk of lynching town in order to have a chance at lynching scum. Plus, you get associative reads off flips, etc.

Yes, we should lynch before Day Phase is over. What I'm saying is we should hold off on turbolynches before that while there remains reasonable doubt that the person is a townie. If you're thinking, "Well duh", I've only mentioned it because eclipse seemed rather laissez faire about who got lynched, as long as someone ended up getting lynched.