Fire Emblem: Wretched Whispers, Act 1: Three Days

SB.

"You got a family that cared enough 'bout you to give you some leg up into the future. I'd say you're pretty lucky! Well, if ya go nowhere else to go, why not stick around with us for a bit? You get food, and you might get an idea or two about your future." Peter sighed. That's one thing I never really worried about. With things the way they are, I'm never in need of work. Maybe I will get tired of this. . .but not right now.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Lugos

"Oh lord... there's more of you?" The enchanter looked surprised. "Are you some sort of travelling mage company or something of the sort? Maybe we should start enchanting these tomes beforehand..." he mumbled the last part to himself before returning to the back room, returning later with Lugos' nearly enhanced tome. "Sorry it took so long, we had erm... a few setbacks." he muttered, handing Lugos his tome in exchange for the money.

@Magali

"Ah, a staff user?" The merchant said, turning to Magali. "By the looks of things, you don't know how to use a weapon, right? I have just the staff for you then! Normally staves are supposed to heal and help others, but well..." he smiled crookedly. "This one isn't like the others. It does damage! And it's only 400 gold! Pretty interesting, am I right?"

Still stuck on whether or not it would be right to do something like that, Mel sighed. "Well... I guess you are right. I would prefer to test eet on somesing like zose monsters before I use eet on people, zough. I 'ave 'eard zat poison can be extremely painful, and while I do not wish to show mercy to anyone trying to kill me, I would like to sink I ah'm still 'uman in 'ere somewhere. Torture ees not what I signed up for." There wasn't much else to be done until she had a chance to use it. "Maybe ze inn would 'ave somesing for us to do? I do not mind talking wis you bose, but, I cannot be ze most interesting person. What about you, Diana? Anywhere you wish to go? " she then said to the other woman, not wanting to leave her out of the conversation.

Edited by I have opinions

"Oh? Is that so?" Magali said, eyeing the staff with some interest. Well, enough interest for carefree Magali. "I see, I'll take it, then." Magali resolved, taking and counting the amount of coin asked by the merchant.

The merchant smiled, and tossed the staff towards Magali. "I've had a lot of sales today, you know. Before it'd been a sort of... dry period for me, so to speak. I'm assuming you're all part of a mercenary company, am I right?" he then turned to Declan. "If you really want to try the axe, I won't stop you. It gives you a defensive boost in battle, but only if you can wield it. Same price as the sword."

Edited by Shark Bait

"Yes, we are. I suppose those who sell weapons and armor do better when a compay or the army are around. We're always in need of some more after battles." Magali muses, taking the staff. "And if you're selling equipment like this, you'll certainly do better. It seems really handy."

Diana kept silent as Mel talked about her new tome. I would never wish poisoning on anyone... not even my enemies. It's notoriously difficult to heal... ugh. I don't want to remember "that" time when I was with the clerics... Diana shuddered a little.

Diana heard Taima speak. "Yeah... a rest would be nice... but we don't really have much choice right now, do we..." She responded. Mel talked at her not too soon after. "Well... no, not really. I think I'm pretty prepared."

Edited by Curly Brace

"You're right about that, Peter. However, I can't rely on family any longer. So yeah, I think sticking with this company for now is beneficial to me. How long have you been in this mercenary company, Peter? What is the commander like? You probably know more about this company than I do, so care to tell me what I should look out for?" asked Wolfgang.

"Merveilleux! Zen, we shall 'ead to ze inn." Melanie bounced after Taima with a grin on her face, wondering what sorts of people they'd run into at the inn in an actual town. Surely they would be wonderfully interesting, and would have great stories to share. Or at least, they'd be able to give some information to a weary mercenary group as to the goings on around the town. Melanie continued to muse to herself as she walked, only hoping for the best.

"Eh, I just joined myself," Peter told Wolfgang. "Commander's blunt, but fair. You've already heard Declan. He was no less unpleasant when I first met him. I wasn't able to talk too much to the other ladies, as they seemed more interested in talking among themselves. I got to watch Taima in the last battle - she's the one with the armor, and she can take quite a few hits. We've got our own healers, as well. Hmmm. . .we seem to have a lot of magic users. Can you learn things from different school of magic?" Peter's career had him fight alongside more than one mage, and he was passingly familiar with the differences between light, anima, and dark magic, but that was about it.

"It was pretty swell. Sure, some of the teachers could've stood to be a bit nicer, but everything else was fine. Plus there was a lot of research about the magic, so that helped me out a lot during my studies. And their food is great, too," Artemis replied to Lugos, happy to be reminiscing about her days at the academy. "Yeah, I don't think Sigurd's ever been trained by anybody. I met him when he was really young. Apparently his ancestry included pegasi that were great war heroes or something, so I guess he finds the whole courier thing to be well, beneath him. It's such a drag," Artemis complained, just getting annoyed thinking about her rebellious steed. You'd think after 10 or so years, he'd have gotten over it.

Artemis then turned towards Sheikah next. "Yeah, things are going well. It's weird, I'd have thought mercenaries would be more uh...what's the word I'm looking for, hardened? Less sociable?" Artemis said, although she couldn't recall where exactly she got that impression from in the first place. "Great that Privia was trained right off the bat," Artemis commented, assuming that Privia was in fact Sheikah's wyvern. "Yeah, pegasus problems are kind of a pain, but we have a working relationship at least. I know he's not going to kick me off in the middle of a battle or anything. In fact, I'd say he's more trustworthy in a battle than anything else. Must be his upbringing..." She pondered, wondering if this mercenary thing would make Sigurd less of a pain to deal with. "Thanks for that. I guess I'm always down on myself because I started magic a little well, late. Like when I was 16. I'd have thought I'd get swamped with work, but it actually wasn't too bad," Artemis reflected, thinking perhaps she was better than she thought. "Using lances, huh? I don't think I'd be up for that myself. Who was your instructor, anyways?" She asked inquisitively.

Edited by Refa

@Magali

"You'd think with a war going on, I'd have more business, wouldn't you?" sighed the merchant. But then he realized, maybe he could make something more out of this. "How do you keep all of your weapons and items organised? I would assume that keeping all of your items on your person at all times could become rather cumbersome, wouldn't it?"

@Melanie, Taima and Diana

As the girls made entered the inn, they spotted several cloaked men and women crowded round a small table near to the entrance, muttering to themselves, evidently not keen on idea of being overheard. They were mostly inaudible, but there was one utterance that they could make out. "Are the monsters ready?". It came from a tall man who was fidgeting with some sort of enhanced axe. He seemed impatient, and as he glanced around the room, he eyed the girls who had just entered with suspicion.

Edited by Shark Bait

Upon entering the inn, Diana heard the whispers around her. The only one she could make out mentioned something about monsters. No... monsters? Like the ones we had just fought? Diana, trying not to react visibly to what she just heard, whispered quietly to Taima and Mel. "Did you hear that? Something about monsters being ready... What do you think of this?"

Magali gave a faint smirk, the man had a point. With all this tension, you'd think at least some profit would be consistent. Maybe he chose a poor vicinity. "Ah, yeah. It can be a bit of a chore, but we carry what we need. I guess that means we can't really carry extra or things get too cumbersome, but we make do"

Declan sighed. "The axe isn't as appealing to me now, on second thought... but I will take the sword." He placed the amount of gold he was directed to earlier down on the table and leaned back. After this, I should go and look for the others... or perhaps visit the stables. Horses always did like me. Declan awaited the merchant's response to his decision with... well, what he would wait for anything with.

"Hey, we're people, too. We have lives outside of our job, and friends and family just like most others. And would I certainly hope you don't think we aren't tough enough for the task at hand," Sheikah lectured, though she seemed happier when the discussion turned to her wyvern. "Well, I was pretty lucky she responds well. I learned to fly quickly enough to get hired into a troop that specialized in aerial stuff, but that didn't end too well. It's good that you can at least rely on him in battle, though. That's when you need cooperation the most, after all." She seemed less eager to speak about the next question. "Instructor is probably not the right term. I sorta tried to learn by mimicking, since that's how I learn best, but I'm small and my coordination was... questionable at the time, so it wasn't as good as I'd hoped and I gave up pretty quickly. I can't say I like the guy anymore, anyway, so it's kind of a moot point."

"Well then..." Calden passed the sword to Declan and took his gold, then turned back to Magali. "I suppose I could offer my services as a transporter for your mercenary company. I'd be able to keep watch over all of your goods, and I'd have fresh stock to supply you all with weapons should yours wear out. I'm a pretty good mage too, if I do say so myself. What do you say?"

Edited by Shark Bait

"Hmm. That could be a good thing, maybe. I'm not the one that calls the shots, though. Our boss... she's somewhere here, didn't really pay attention where, might be at the inn." Magali pondered. "But I think that sounds good, for what it's worth. If you want, I could introduce you to her."

@Magali

The merchant smiled. "If you could do that, I would be grateful." He stretched out his hand. "The name's Calden. Pleasure doing business with you, um..." Then he realized he didn't even know the girl's name. I guess I'm just that good at persuading people.

@Declan

The stables was filled with horses, mostly. There was the odd pegasi or wyvern inside too, but what caught Declan's attention first was a man with... burns all over his face? He wasn't much of a looker now, at any rate. The man was trying to lead his wyvern into the stables, but the beast just didn't want to listen. The man tugged as hard as he could, but the wyvern just sneezed and the man fell over, with a small vial falling out of his pocket. If Declan wanted to, he could probably pick it up without the man noticing as he entered the stables. Would he?

Declan eyed the vial on the ground, wondering just what it did. Shrugging, he walked over, picked up the vial, and walked back out to lean up against the outer wall of the stables. Well, you snooze, you lose... Still, wonder what this does...?

The vial seemed to contain some sort of medicine. It didn't seem to be for healing battle wounds explicitly, but Declan couldn't really tell what it did himself. It already seems partially used though...

Declan obtains the Panacea (2/3)!

Edited by Shark Bait

Peter glanced up, and saw that the once-bustling shop was now empty, save for them. "They probably headed back to the inn, to put their stuff away. C'mon, let's go! You can't learn about the other women if you don't talk to them!" he said enthusiastically, as he walked back to the inn.