What would you say are the easiest Fire Emblem games?

Katie

yeah i was talking about on hard because of the decreased EXP.

I see. Yeah i can feel that. You want those transfers, you gotta lowman. :/ And you cant faff about and give Tormod transfers. *waluigi noise*

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he doesn't imply that his opinions were facts; saying that he has legitimate reasons doesn't imply either, given that personal opinions sure are legit, especially in a thread that asks for them.

Yes he does. It's all in the tone.

Fomortiis is so underrated. His motivations are simplistic, sure, but he's shown to be a callous, effective manipulator. That's interesting. Shame we never get to fight him.

what?

he's the final boss, isn't him?

Guess I missed out on Fomortiis and Lopotouso since I didn't play 4 or 8, meh. maybe my experience about that is a bit biased overall since I only played 6 11 12 and 13 by now.

Go play 7 and 8. . .and if you care about FE story, 9 and 10. Most of the people here have played at least one of the games mentioned (and quite a few have played all four). Play FE4 if you want to. . .I haven't played through it fully, but I know just enough of the story/characters/system to make certain general statements (like "walking to castles with foot units is really tedious", and that it's not the easiest FE game because of the sheer amount of things happening on any given map).

he doesn't imply that his opinions were facts; saying that he has legitimate reasons doesn't imply either, given that personal opinions sure are legit, especially in a thread that asks for them.

Ummm. . .here's the original quote.

Besides Awakening, which was basicly a huge "screw you" directed at core fans of the series, Path of Radiance was admittedly pretty easy because of that western-exclusive easy mode.

On that note, it actually provided some challenging chapters on higher difficulties.

About the Sacred Stones, that game was pretty easy aswell since you had infinite EXP available, but it was one of the first FE games to hit the west (and the first one I played) and did a nice job being beginners friendly that way.. (looking at you again, Awakening).

The minute the word "core fans" hits the ground, he's touting his opinion like it's fact - namely, that those "core fans" are the ones that were offended, and everyone else isn't part of the group.

Oh, and you-with-the-strong-opinion-about-Awakening: Feel free to put that opinion in your sig or something. Constantly bashing a game just because you don't like it is quite tiring, and does nothing except sour the mood on the boards.

Awakening made too many (wrong) changes and good ideas like the pair-up system were implemented just badly.

Subjective. I actually really disagree with this because the stuff i want to see return (FoW, status effects, etc) can be added to that existing system and be even better. Nothing wrong with PairUp, especially on Lunatic mode where it kinda balances out.

The word wrong is subjective, but it's indisputable that FE13 removed some great stuff from previous games.

I don't want to go any further about this, because I already mentioned it in this topic

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=51518

and in other threads.

The pair-up is unbalanced (way too huge stat boosts) and mainly answers the purpose to survive the overpowered stats and luna skills of the enemies in lunatic (+).

The classical 1vs.1 battles don't really exist in these modes.

As I said I don't refuse the pair-up idea, but it must be fixed.

FE13 is great for newcomers, who don't know the game mechanics of the other games.

The game mechanics are so simple that beginners don't have to bother with FoW, weapon weight and magic weapon triangle.

Casual mode makes it even more beginner friendly.

Though for someone like me, who's focussed on great and classical game mechanics, FE13 simply disappointed me.

Right. The actual Fomortiis was defeated with a Sacred Stone and... the power of... friendship. Which was stupid and made the empty husk of Fomortiis' body totally unsatisfying to crush.

He wasn't really defeated. Just trapped. I'm sure he would eventually escape again. They should have found a way to get rid of him permanently so no one could repeat Lyon's mistake of messing with the stone and releasing the demon king.

He wasn't really defeated. Just trapped. I'm sure he would eventually escape again. They should have found a way to get rid of him permanently so no one could repeat Lyon's mistake of messing with the stone and releasing the demon king.

According to Innes, killing the Demon King's soulless body meant Fomortiis could never return. This wisdom was apparently lost on their predecessors.

I honestly don't think a villain without any deeper motivation than power and control is inherently bad. So long as you have other villains to balance it out and they're not taking up the majority of the screen time, some straightforward evil bastards are fine. Manfroy works because he sticks in the background despite being one of the most influential and important people on the continent. It's not all together unrealistic either, you will meet people in life who are just massive pricks without having any freudian excuse. Motivation is only one aspect of a character, if they have enough strength on the others and are in a balanced cast then it's fine. Let them play their necessary role in the plot.

I don't mind a "bad for the sake of being bad" villain. Some villains are just delightfully terrible people. Hades from Kid Icarus Uprising and Terumi Yuuki from Blazblue come to mind. Hell, Gangrel somewhat counts for this too before he was given a motivation later.

Thing with Validar is that he really conducts himself like a Saturday morning cartoon villain. He is so blatantly bad with his evil wizard design and "mwahaha" schemes and he gets beat by the power of bonds. It's awful. I mean hell, at least have cool minions! All he had was Aversa.

Not to say all the series villains were perfect, super philosophical, Shin Megami Tensei villains, but a lot of them did have a motive of some sort. You hit the nail on the head with Gangrel and Walhart, it's really a shame they didn't get more time. In an ideal world, those two would be fleshed out villains that give Chrom different perspectives on what it means to be a ruler.

I don't mind a "bad for the sake of being bad" villain. Some villains are just delightfully terrible people. Hades from Kid Icarus Uprising and Terumi Yuuki from Blazblue come to mind. Hell, Gangrel somewhat counts for this too before he was given a motivation later.

Thing with Validar is that he really conducts himself like a Saturday morning cartoon villain. He is so blatantly bad with his evil wizard design and "mwahaha" schemes and he gets beat by the power of bonds. It's awful. I mean hell, at least have cool minions! All he had was Aversa.

Not to say all the series villains were perfect, super philosophical, Shin Megami Tensei villains, but a lot of them did have a motive of some sort. You hit the nail on the head with Gangrel and Walhart, it's really a shame they didn't get more time. In an ideal world, those two would be fleshed out villains that give Chrom different perspectives on what it means to be a ruler.

Oh I don't want to give the impression that Validar is a great villain. One of the worst in the game even if you count chapter bosses. I wanted people to know it was the fact that he was badly handled that made him bad, and not the base idea itself (just like the other major villains).

I don't see how you can see him that way other than just his look, Validar isn't really a direct antagonist until chapter 23 he's never even out to "get" Chrom and co. even when he was planning on assassinating Emmeryn. Additionally he didn't actually get beaten by the power of bonds anyway, he was just tricked by the party.

Validar only acts when necessary because his faith is Grima has him believe the revival is destined to occur and not even for his own benefit because he'd simply be revived as a Risen and a servant of Grima. He's not deep but I think he's solid as a villain in terms of motivation, if he was a saturday morning cartoon villain it'd be breaking character. If he had a new scheme every chapter it'd be questionable whether he actually believes Grima's revival was destined if he had to interfere so much.

Whereas in the game you can pretty much believe he has complete faith in that the events leading to Grima's Rebirth are set in stone and he just has to play his role.

Edited by arvilino

I don't see how you can see him that way other than just his look, Validar isn't really a direct antagonist until chapter 23 he's never even out to "get" Chrom and co. even when he was planning on assassinating Emmeryn.

Not a direct antagonist until chapter 23? He kills the hero in the first 3 minutes of the game.

Validar only acts when necessary because his faith is Grima has him believe the revival is destined to occur and not even for his own benefit because he'd simply be revived as a Risen and a servant of Grima. He's not deep but I think he's solid as a villain in terms of motivation, if he was a saturday morning cartoon villain it'd be breaking character. If he had a new scheme every chapter it'd be questionable whether he actually believes Grima's revival was destined if he had to interfere so much.

Whereas in the game you can pretty much believe he has complete faith in that the events leading to Grima's Rebirth are set in stone and he just has to play his role.

How does any of that not make him a Saturday Morning Cartoon villain?

As for him simply playing his role... sorry, that's not Validar. Validar clearly has fun doing what he's doing. His faith into Grima just gives him additional reason to be smug about it.

Chrom... Come to witness the glorious culmination of your failure? How nice.

Then I pray today's spectacle lives up to her nightmares!

You ken quickly, Robin. That's my girl.

Heh ha, are you so eager to meet your end, little Prince? You WILL die here. Your future is already written.

Edited by BrightBow

Not a direct antagonist until chapter 23? He kills the hero in the first 3 minutes of the game.

That is still chapter 23 chronologically in the games storyline, you know it's a "premonition".

Edited by arvilino

He's an established villain as early as the first 5 minutes of the game in real time.

Chronologically, he's an established antagonist as soon as C6 when he tries to kill Emmeryn and is brought back to life by the evil mystery person.

That is still chapter 23 chronologically in the games storyline, you know it's a "premonition".

Exactly. This premonition sets the stage for the entire story. And there he killed the hero. That's one hell of a first expression, to say the least. The entire game is spent in anticipation of this one moment, so he is not exactly some dude who merely showed up in the background a few times until a surprise twist reveals that this guy is actually the main villain.

Edited by BrightBow

He's an established villain as early as the first 5 minutes of the game in real time.

Chronologically, he's an established antagonist as soon as C6 when he tries to kill Emmeryn and is brought back to life by the evil mystery person.

Exactly. This premonition sets the stage for the entire story. And there he killed the hero. That's one hell of a first expression, to say the least. The entire game is spent in anticipation of this one moment, so he is not exactly some dude who merely showed up in the background a few times until a surprise twist reveals that this guy is actually the main villain.

There's a difference between being established as an antagonist in the player's eyes and the in terms of the character's eyes. Of course you know he's a villain during the premonition and working with Grima during chapter 6 but in terms of the plot and the protagonists he isn't really established to Chrom as his direct antagonist until very late in the game even though they don't like or trust Validar.

Edited by arvilino

There's a difference between being established as an antagonist in the player's eyes and the in terms of the character's eyes. Of course you know he's a villain during the premonition and working with Grima during chapter 6 but in terms of the plot and the protagonists he isn't really established to Chrom as his direct antagonist until very late in the game even though they don't like or trust Validar.

Yes, and? After all, we are talking about audience perception here. Nobody claimed that Chrom was considering Validar to be a cartoonish villain.

Edited by BrightBow

the goal of a villain is to interest the player not the characters if we already know that he is an antagonist there is no twist no fucking drive to move its predictable to us as the player

for example the characters in AOT were suprised in the female titan arc I wasnt because her design only fits 1 other character (and the fact that AOTs writing is awful and not clever at all)

the goal of a book is to interest the reader not the characters inside the book

Validar has 0 depth and stop insulting cartoon villains even they are somewhat better because they at least have some implied depth

Edited by TTPK_Tal

the goal of a villain is to interest the player not the characters if we already know that he is an antagonist there is no twist no fucking drive to move its predictable to us as the player

for example the characters in AOT were suprised in the female titan arc I wasnt because her design only fits 1 other character (and the fact that AOTs writing is awful and not clever at all)

the goal of a book is to interest the reader not the characters inside the book

Validar has 0 depth and stop insulting cartoon villains even they are somewhat better because they at least have some implied depth

I didn't say the player knew everything. I mean provided you haven't spoiled yourself ahead of time the player wouldn't understand why Validar would just lend all those ships to Ylisse and Ferox during chapter 13 and the player doesn't learn the exact details of Validar's plans until the characters do.

I didn't say the player knew everything. I mean provided you haven't spoiled yourself ahead of time the player wouldn't understand why Validar would just lend all those ships to Ylisse and Ferox during chapter 13 and the player doesn't learn the exact details of Validar's plans until the characters do.

you would most likely assume big bad guy for the sake of evil what does he turn out to be

big bad guy for the sake of evil

idk, putting two and two together isn't that difficult. We know Validar is associated with Grima after C6 (since Grima says who they are when Validar is ressurected), and we know that it's likely Validar is after the Fire Emblem since Lucina says it gets stolen immediately after Emm would be assassinated. So combine that with Lucina going "Grima kills everyone in the future" in Chapter 13 (where it is also explictly stated that Validar worships Grima and is the head of the Grimleal), it is NOT DIFFICULT to realise that Validar wants to bring back Grima.