Regarding the Hoshido Path

personally, i do think hoshido's path is going to be your more stereotypical FE story, but i can't say as.. we haven't seen as much info as we have with nohr's path, if you ask me.

one way to make it different though, is to actually have the parent survive amiright

i do wish we knew more about the storyline in respects to hoshido, tbh, because it seems sort of... blank to me right now, honestly.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does seem like they're trying to make it for the Awakening crowd, but IMO they're being too "safe" with it, assuming newcomers wouldn't enjoy a more complicated story (just based on the initial comparison of Nohr vs Hoshido) or changes to the gameplay (linearity, different objectives), which I don't think is true.

I really don't think Hoshido will just be Awakening 2.0, mainly because they have showed so little of it. And I think if they were trying to make Awakening 2.0 they would advertise it more so they can get people who only like Awakening in the series to play it.

And personally I don't think it being a lot like Awakening is bad thing at all, I really loved (most of) the characters and I enjoyed the story and gameplay, but I do wish they add more objectives and make it a bit harder then Awakening though. And honestly with the objective I'm almost positive Hoshido is gonna get at least Defend since it would make sense with the story and Awakening already had that pseudo-defend mission with Tiki.

And I know for sure I'm sticking with Hoshido as my main game since I like the character designs a lot more and I'm pretty bad at the earlier Fire Emblem games so I imagine Nohr will be pretty frustrating for me at first. Also first post woo!

Well, there are two things so far that have differentiated Hoshido from Awakening:

1. Enemies can have dual battles and possibly even pair-up, though we don't know how that'll be carried out.

2. Map gimmicks. Judging from Vincent's translation, it didn't specify which version will have that, so I think both will do.

Regarding the map objectives, I think they were just wanting to emphasize Norh's complexity and challenges. They didn't outright deny that Hoshido won't have at least one of those. Even Awakening had some defend-like maps and at least one that's akin to an escape mission.

With all the emphasis placed upon the player's decision-makings between both FE titles, I don't know if this would have a profound impact of having multiple saves (3 save slots) or if they'll likely return...? : /

Then again, that remains to be seen.

With all the emphasis placed upon the player's decision-makings between both FE titles, I don't know if this would have a profound impact of having multiple saves (3 save slots) or if they'll likely return...? : /

Then again, that remains to be seen.

Are you wondering if the game will have multiple save slots?

I wouldn't worry about that, I can almost guarantee that it will. I actually haven't played a FE title without multiple save slots.

Edited by Philranger

I wouldn't worry about that, I can almost guarantee that it will. I actually haven't played a FE title without multiple save slots.

Yep every game has multiple save slots 1-13.

I kinda hope we get Tellius's amount of save slots. I have friends and family who like FE so my save slots get all used.

I had to pull the casual quick save trick so I had 5 saves on Awakening lol.

The idea that the Hoshido path is only there to please Awakening fans is ludicrous, and frankly quite insulting.

This illustrates something that I've noticed in this thread.

Separating "Awakening fans" from "all other Fire Emblem fans" is really insulting. Awakening is part of the FE franchise, so putting them in some different category implies that they don't belong - and that's awful. They're FE fans. Maybe not the type of FE fan that appreciates all the nuances in Lost Bloodlines, but to be lumped in some separate category, so that a game can be made just for them. . .no.

I'm pretty sure "the Awakening world map was made to appease the FE8 fans" wasn't the overarching sentiment when Awakening's mechanics were announced.

My biggest problem however, is the separation between the moral and gameplay choice. There are already some people that think that a moral choice shouldn't be which version you buy, but my personal decision is cut between the gameplay and choice. The game from what we know is about the Choices you make (I mean the title of the game is a rhetorical question) and I'm fine with that. I am on team Hoshido because I like the designs better and the thought of helping your birthland. But I prefer the gameplay route of Nohr and the promise of a challenge and more variety with the level design. I' ll probably end up getting both to experience both games. But my main point is that if IS wants to make a game with more drastic choices, that's fine. But they should at least both have equally complex stories and similar difficulty choices.

I agree with the sentiment, but it's too early to tell just how complex/deep both sides will be. More dialogue doesn't necessarily mean that a character/story is better.

This game apparently can save to the SD card, which makes me think we can have more saves than usual.

I'm going to play both out of optimism, but as things stand I see far more potential in Nohr.

Hoshido needs a bit more to make it seem favorable over Nohr. So far, the only thing it appears to have that Nohr appears to lack is a world map, which unless it's handled like FE8's might not be a good thing.

In contrast, Nohr promises a more complicated plot, traditional FE gameplay, harder difficulty, and more mission objectives. All good things unless "harder difficulty" means the only mode is Lunatic +, which I doubt.

It also has Dark Knight Boy

So I'm going to agree that Hoshido needs better marketing as things stand. IS isn't hesitating to tell us all the cool things about the Nohr story, but Hoshido hasn't gotten much of anything. It's kinda sad.

So yeah, hoping it's not totally FE13 2.0. It will be gods-awful if it is.

Separating "Awakening fans" from "all other Fire Emblem fans" is really insulting. Awakening is part of the FE franchise, so putting them in some different category implies that they don't belong - and that's awful. They're FE fans. Maybe not the type of FE fan that appreciates all the nuances in Lost Bloodlines, but to be lumped in some separate category, so that a game can be made just for them. . .no.

I'm pretty sure "the Awakening world map was made to appease the FE8 fans" wasn't the overarching sentiment when Awakening's mechanics were announced.

I agree with your point but IS has been comparing Hoshido to Awakening specifically. In this case it does seem like they felt they had to make a version just for fans of that game. Which I don't agree with. I think it would've been fine to design both routes with the same gameplay model, keeping some things from the last game and changing others, like they've always done.

Okay I'm just going to bring up that the majority of this forum myself included has a bias on this topic, but still when i look at at it I don't see one marketed over the other,

one doesn't have a world map, the other one one does. One lets you grind the other doesn't, which one is better is your opinion.

One is said to be a more difficult experience at least in part as it doesn't have a world map. The benefits of Higher difficulty is still your opinion

More map objectives are definitely in one and might or might not be in the other. That one is tricky but Map objectives alone are just extra conditions for victory or defeat, you can have a rout map that requires you to be on the defensive. or a defend map that is best defeated by just killing the boss. So one is not necessarily going to have superior maps over the other.

One follows the traditional FE premise the other is more complex. I don't see the problem with this, nearly every FE story is not terribly complex when you break it down, or at least doesn't appear to be, and appearances and the start of the game is what matters when you try to advertise a video game story. Likewise a more complex reform story is different than most FEs yet is not inherently any better than traditional FEs.

So quite honestly i don't see how one is marketed as better than the other just that the Nohr route appeals to me more.

So I'm going to agree that Hoshido needs better marketing as things stand. IS isn't hesitating to tell us all the cool things about the Nohr story, but Hoshido hasn't gotten much of anything. It's kinda sad.

Probably because Hoshido is already getting more pre-orders from the looks of Amazon.co.jp and playasia. Just a while ago it was "Hoshido has a world map, but what does Nohr have?".

Don't let the insular nature of this forum make you think the more accessible game is actually a harder sell or needs more help than the less accessible one.

Edited by arvilino

So yeah, hoping it's not totally FE13 2.0. It will be gods-awful if it is.

Nohr is the one in the need of the stronger marketing. Hoshido being Awakening-like (note I say like, since it'll be pretty different thematically) markets itself, I like Hoshido aesthetically. But this Awakening 2.0 crap is getting really irritating. We have a new writer so simmer down.

I was under the impression that people were saying Hoshido is Awakening-like in terms of gameplay, not story.

From what I've been seeing is that people think Hoshido being like Awakening will bog its story down.

lets be real here, if hoshido was literally awakening 2.0 in terms of story OR gameplay instead of being its own thing (like most fire emblems) then it'd be a bad thing solely because it wouldn't be change or progress.

stagnation means death after all.

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

Which is odd because Hoshido's story boils down to "go on the defensive against invading country" according to marketing so far which really didn't happen much in Awakening. I didn't think Awakening had the traditional Fire Emblem story (mainly because it was 3 arcs in one game and the arc most like a traditional Fire Emblem story happened on a continent separate from those of the protagonists).

Edited by IceBuster573

Probably because Hoshido is already getting more pre-orders from the looks of Amazon.co.jp and playasia. Just a while ago it was "Hoshido has a world map, but what does Nohr have?".

Don't let the insular nature of this forum make you think the more accessible game is actually a harder sell or needs more help than the less accessible one.

The forum has nothing to do with my opinion regarding Nohr appearing to be better? I admit I'm wrong now, but my view on Nohr currently having more features revealed led me to that conclusion.

I did not know, however, that preorders are better for Hoshido.

Nohr is the one in the need of the stronger marketing. Hoshido being Awakening-like (note I say like, since it'll be pretty different thematically) markets itself, I like Hoshido aesthetically. But this Awakening 2.0 crap is getting really irritating. We have a new writer so simmer down.

I was under the impression that people were saying Hoshido is Awakening-like in terms of gameplay, not story.

^^^^

I'm not a fan of FE13's gameplay either. It's either stupidly easy or stupidly annoying. No good middle ground like FE6 Normal.

From what I've been seeing is that people think Hoshido being like Awakening will bog its story down.

Uh, no. The fact that it's, as far as we can tell, going with the usual FE plot of "big country invades little country and little country fights back" is what's making its story less appealing comparred to Nohr's internal reform. Not an Awakening like plot.

Uh, no. The fact that it's, as far as we can tell, going with the usual FE plot of "big country invades little country and little country fights back" is what's making its story less appealing comparred to Nohr's internal reform. Not an Awakening like plot.

Even a basic story when told well, can be good. I think you are overly simplifying this.

Nohr may be trying too hard to be dark and edgy honestly. It could be its downfall in the end, if it's done poorly.

Even a basic story when told well, can be good. I think you are overly simplifying this.

Nohr may be trying too hard to be dark and edgy honestly. It could be its downfall in the end, if it's done poorly.

I'm just kinda tired of that plot by this point, honestly. I skip most dialogue in 6, 9, 11, and 13 (8 I don't since Lyon is such a good character), I want something a bit more new to the series.

I feel like all paths are going to have their merits and one will not be superior to the other. Hoshido is likely to have the World Map. Nohr is likely to have a Tellius style Base. Not sure about Third Path. From what i gather, Hoshido will be a more straightforward gameplay and story experience. While all paths are gonna be the same gameplay wise when it boils down to mechanics, Hoshido might have less complex map objectives. Im thinking Defeat Commander, Route Enemy, Seize, Arrive. (i also have this hunch that its Hoshido that gets the dreaded Desert Chapter) Probably a little easier to recruit other characters too. "Speak to character with Kamui, recruit." Storywise, i see it being more idealistic like Tellius. While not completely black and white in terms of morals, it may be a little less cynical. Thus appealing to players who want a more idealistic approach for their MU and story.

Nohr is likely to have a lot more map objectives that are more akin to older titles. Defend, Escape in X amount of turns, Break Through Enemy Ranks, Seize, Defend Throne, etc. Plus i feel like FoW will be a Nohr thing. Recruiting characters who begin on the enemy side might be a little trickier. Instead of Kamui just talking to them, we may see something like Gangrel's recruitment (which i loved) in Awakening. Or having someone you didnt expect recruit a character. (like having Felicia be the one to recruit some other character) Storywise, it could be a bit more like Jugdral with a more cynical and darker bent to it. You must fight from within and moral boundaries become even more blurred. This is not exactly objectively superior to Hoshido's possible approach.

Third Path is rumored to be "middle of the road" in terms of gameplay difficulty/objectives. So perhaps a more balanced approach? Not sure about how this will play out storywise. I get the impression that this game is probably going to be the most story extensive FE yet.

I'd be so happy if they bring back the Tellius base, you have no idea.

I can somehow see Nohr selling more in the west and Hoshido selling more in the east, but that's just me.

Is this really how the veteran Fire Emblem community thinks? I knew you were a cynical bunch but man, this is some deep pessimism and over simplification right here.

Member since: January 2014. (fyi this is the guy you were responding to, not you)

Nope. He's not even a veteran member of the community. I'm personally excited for it, though I didn't think Awakening was that great but its purpose seemed more to popularize the series and provide a bunch of fanservice than clever design. Not trying to talk shit about the game, although its design at points is pretty bad, but I was playing through things like FE6, FE9, and FE10 recently and it really made Awakening's faults stick out.

Edited by Lord Raven

ACTUAL VETERAN COMMUNITY MEMBER WEIGHS IN (fuck you raven)

If you only like one game in the series, I don't think it's unreasonable to say you're a fan of that game rather than the series as a whole. For example, if people only like Red/Blue/Yellow from Pokemon, wouldn't it be more accurate to call them Gen 1 fans (or something like that) rather than Pokemon fans?

I think the people in this thread are concerned IS is going to try to chase after this new audience at the expense of more longtime fans, which I don't think is an unreasonable fear, since it has happened with other franchises.

I think this is because people are prone to hysterics (also Awakening was a lot more divisive than FE8 was). We don't even have evidence that Hoshido route is gonna be super-Awakening-y. The press releases have implied it will be more traditional FE in plot and map design, and then also have a world map, while Nohr will have new stuff to shake things up for people who like the gameplay and challenge and stuff. But this is just my interpretation, we don't really know shit. Edited by Paperblade

Considering we're getting invaded I would not see a reason not to include defend and escape type missions in the story.. It would certainly make more sense for me there since Nohr will basically take few chapters on Hoshido itself to start reforming from the inside. Unless we get some rebellions started so in that case.... Who knows

Still this is just speculation, so we need to make sure we don't go overboard with this.