Corrin/Kamui in Smash

Limstella

i think amiibos should be available in either gender, cause it just makes sense that way, but aren't canon robin/corrin male? robin i'm especially iffy on, but yeah. just like how wft is female first, because that's how the game is.

Robin and Corrin are avatar characters with no "canon" appearance or gender. The Awakening promotional material was largely good about this (kept gender ambiguous by always having Robin hooded).

Wii Fit Trainer is not an avatar character and so isn't comparable.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would've never expected another FE character... They are really doing their best to squeeze as much money out of the newly expanded fanbase aren't they?

First of all, that voice acting was PoR-level bad. Kind of a shame since Awakening was a big improvement in that area IMO. Also... I was really hoping Corrin was just the name the Treehouse used that one time. Terrible change.

Kamui looks really cool as a fighter but feels so unnecessary. I'll buy him but would've preferred Aqua if it had to be someone from FE14, or one of the older lords. Or Isaac goddammit ;~;

The voice acting seems like it may have just been done for the trailer. For example, David Vincent is an established and pretty good voice actor; M!Robin's taunts still sound very muffled and rushed.

I think it's too early to fully judge things yet (considering everything except M!Kamui sounded decent in the E3 trailer; ironic that he's the only one that sounds good in the Smash trailer).

+1 vote for wishing Femui was the default.

Gosh, what atrocious voice acting. Hearing Elise's voice made me want to turn off the video immediately.

Still a mile better than Japanese Felicia.

Speaking as a big Zelda fan, I don't get why people are upset that FE has more Smash reps than LoZ.

1st of all, how many Smash reps a series gets isn't some kind of referendum on how notable the franchise is. Kid Icarus has more reps than Metroid and Donkey Kong. Xenoblade is tied with Animal Crossing and F-Zero. Who cares.

But if we're going to play that game - Fire Emblem has been around since 1990, LoZ since 1986. There's been about 14 games in the main series of Zelda, same as Fire Emblem. I'm sure Zelda has sold more copies, but the gap probably isn't as big as you'd think, nor should $$$ determine the design of Smash fighters.

But my biggest thing is: look at the characters who fill up these two series. Zelda is literally about the same 3 people clashing over and over. Who's the biggest snub of the Zelda series, Impa? Tingle? Beedle? Some non-recurring NPC like Ghirahim? (Personally I'd like to see Midna riding Wolf Link as a character, but I digress.) Whereas FE has more OCs than almost any other series, since it's an SRPG where every unit is a character, and most games introduce entirely new nations.

Anyway, Smash 4 DLC characters barely feel like full-fledged newcomers, since you have to pay extra and most people don't bother getting them unless they're fans. Plus they don't get cool reveal cinematics. I would rather see my remaining favorites saved for the inevitable Smash 5 on NX, like I'm sure Inkling is.

Still a mile better than Japanese Felicia.

Disagree. I'll still take generic moe-blob Felicia over the bratty voice and lines they gave Elise.

Speaking as a big Zelda fan, I don't get why people are upset that FE has more Smash reps than LoZ.

1st of all, how many Smash reps a series gets isn't some kind of referendum on how notable the franchise is. Kid Icarus has more reps than Metroid and Donkey Kong. Xenoblade is tied with Animal Crossing and F-Zero. Who cares.

There are no rules or criteria for how many reps a series is supposed to have but many people appreciate it if the reps are more in proportion to the significance of the series. People care because Smash is a celebration of Nintendo's franchises. It's the same reason some panned the Fire Emblem Anniversary book because it was mostly about Awakening and Fates.

But if we're going to play that game - Fire Emblem has been around since 1990, LoZ since 1986. There's been about 14 games in the main series of Zelda, same as Fire Emblem. I'm sure Zelda has sold more copies, but the gap probably isn't as big as you'd think, nor should $$$ determine the design of Smash fighters.

It's more than money, it's about having a place in the hearts of gamers. Zelda is an extremely popular franchise and for good reason. A lot of people grew up playing Zelda games and they'd like to see more Zelda characters playable.

But my biggest thing is: look at the characters who fill up these two series. Zelda is literally about the same 3 people clashing over and over. Who's the biggest snub of the Zelda series, Impa? Tingle? Beedle? Some non-recurring NPC like Ghirahim? (Personally I'd like to see Midna riding Wolf Link as a character, but I digress.)

You know there was this game called Hyrules Warriors that had a ton of playable Zelda characters, right? If we're going to say "non-reoccurring" is the reason why other Zelda characters didn't get in, then Roy, Robin, Kamui and Lucina (not including cameos, obviously) shouldn't be in either.

Anyway, Smash 4 DLC characters barely feel like full-fledged newcomers, since you have to pay extra and most people don't bother getting them unless they're fans. Plus they don't get cool reveal cinematics. I would rather see my remaining favorites saved for the inevitable Smash 5 on NX, like I'm sure Inkling is.

They are full fledged newcomers. And working on them was development time that could have been used elsewhere.

Disclaimer: I don't really care about who gets in at this point. I've learned not to get invested in game rosters because the developers will never have the same vision you do. But I will say, as a Fire Emblem fan, that this series already had enough exposure with Marth, Ike and Robin, and didn't need anyone else. They should have given other noteworthy series, or more unknown but interesting IPs (like Golden Sun) more content.

A lot more series than Zelda got snubbed this time around.

Edited by NekoKnight

Ok, first off, I was VERY confused in the beginning with Corrin's reveal. The direct starts and I see Fates, which kinda stunned me. Then the decision choices came up on-screen and then it clicked in my head....with the 4'th decision box (Join in Smash) coming 5 seconds later...

To be honest, while I do kinda agree 6 Fire Emblem characters is pushing it a bit, I (even more so) LOVE the massive Fire Emblem Love (and don't care that there are 6 characters)! I'm happy we got Corrin. We could have gotten someone else, but I'm happy with who we got!

Also, gotta love how some people call Corrin "another sword fighter", even though his sword is like freakin' chainsaw and half of his moveset is him using his dragon form!

And Bayonetta...oh my gosh, Beyonetta... I have no words...she didn't shock me as much as Cloud (which surprises me), but dang...she was the LAST person I expected! Plus...dear lord...She is a combo maniac and I love it! I'll suck using her, but hey, she'll be fun!

I'm kinda sad we didn't get more stages added. Happy for Midgar and falling Clock tower, but...*sigh*...

...I'm still getting all of it!

Last, but not least... the Mii Costumes are pretty dang cool aaaand...SALT, SALT EVERYWHERE!!! :3

:Joshua:

I think I'd have been more salty about Kamui's inclusion if their trailer had been released a couple months earlier, but at this point I'm just too tired to care anymore. Glad that other people are happy they're included though.

Edited by Sunwoo

Well, Sakurai was able to do something that IS didn't: Make me like Corrin.

That was totally unexpected. I jokingly voted for Corrin but I had nil hopes of him making it him. Never underestimate Sakurai.

Also, the salt is real.

This literally sums me up as well. I voted for Corrin saying that "they have two milestones past protagonists don't have by having the ability to transform into a dragon, giving them the potential to have a moveset unique compared to most of the Fire Emblem cast, and they're the first Avatar character to be the protagonist of their game". It was only for the Hell of voting and I honestly didn't believe they would be the ballot winner (although I hoped that someone considered the vote), but lo and behold look who choose to Smash. The dragon moveset part came true as well. My hype could not have been contained by then.

Welp, I think I'mma stay away from certain boards for a while now. I'll wait until the salt dies down a little before considering joining in on discussions again.

Also, I'm still working on my story in case you ask, but I've been real busy as of late. The next chapter will be published before Christmas for certain.

After all of this, why haven't the devs included Caeda? Unlike Corrin, she wields a lance, of course, but more importantly, she's the de facto other protagonist from the original games like Marth is! That would have been better than having the two latest avatars.

After all of this, why haven't the devs included Caeda? Unlike Corrin, she wields a lance, of course, but more importantly, she's the de facto other protagonist from the original games like Marth is! That would have been better than having the two latest avatars.

Long post incoming. Be warned.

She probably for the same reason they didn't add other "de facto" protagonists, that and trending is apparently a huge factor for adding characters in Smash. Sakurai himself said that had Awakening released six months prior or after development of Sm4sh started, Robin was unlikely to get in. Content from Kid Icarus: Uprising and Fire Emblem Awakening feature heavily in the 3DS version of the game as Sakurai had just finished Uprising before Sm4sh's and Awakening came out a month after it was done from what I know, much to the ire of some hardcore circles within the fanbase. He referred to it as trending in Making of Fire Emblem: 25 Years of Development Secrets. Yes, Caeda wields a lance, totally different from a sword, but I don't see that as a reason to include her over another sword wielder at all. She's also a Pegasus Knight unlike the other Fire Emblem characters, essentially making her mounted on what has to be a large winged horse. Has any character to date ever ridden on another creature? No, and I don't see it happening any time soon unless the character in question is really small like Duck Hunt. Bowser Jr. isn't riding on another animal, but he's in his Clown Car and he's about the size of some other playable characters. so he Caeda is a regular-sized human being on a creature as tall as a human. Her hurtbox and/or range would be ridiculous, even surpassing Bowser in terms of hurtboxes and surpassing whichever character has the longest consistently ranged attacks because any lance from Fire Emblem is longer than virtually every sword from Fire Emblem and several swords outside of that series. Caeda would need lots of balancing to not make her as brokenu due to the insane range she'd have with lances or as easily whooped on because of how big she is. And you might say that she can hop off of her pegasus but that would involve changing her moveset (unless she somehow has the exact same moves on foot as she does in the air), and no character to date has had two separate movesets. And if you want to stick to canon, Caeda would be a swordwielder if she dismounts, making her no different from all but Robin. Clones of any sort do not count as different movesets of one character because they are not counted as the same character, nor does Zelda/Sheik or (Zero Suit) Samus because they're counted as separate characters in spite of literally being the same entity. My guess would be that it is difficult to perform and/or it's not work that the devs want to go through.

In terms of why the characters added were added, Marth was planned to be in the first game but it didn't work out, Roy was chosen because of how he looked (he looked more pleasing to be a Marth clone than the other Fire Emblem characters did, including Leif who he formerly considered for that), there's no word on Ike but chances were because of trending (the Tellius games were the most recent by the time Brawl was in development), Robin was considered due to trending and made it over Chrom to breathe different air into the Fire Emblem cast in Smash where Chrom wouldn't fill that role, Lucina was going to be an alternate for Marth but she got differences and was made her own character instead, and Corrin was chosen as to represent someone from his upcoming game and they are the protagonist of their game as well as the most central character of all the plots in it like the rest of the playable Fire Emblem characters from their own games. Almost no one playable in Smash isn't generally central in their own appearances (except for maybe some Pokémon) and each one is effectively as important as the protagonist, no less than that (again, aside of the Pokémon since no Pokémon itself is a protagonist unless you play certain spin-offs which are hardly considered for Smash's playable cast). Caeda ultimately does not drive the plot of the games she's in considering that her survival has negligible effects on the plot if any; Marth does. This doesn't happen with anyone, not even Robin who can even be benched once you can bench characters except for Chapter 23 where they're forced to partake in it. Admittedly, I still think Caeda would be nice and I would gladly whip up a hypothetical moveset for her when I have time for a Super Smash Bros. game, but I don't see her getting in Super Smash Bros. anytime soon unless she shows up in another Fire Emblem game in the future around the time the next game is made and if Sakurai is still developing it.

Is this the ballot result or is this just another random addition to the roster?

Corrin was a random addition to the roster. Sakurai is apparently a long-time fan of Fire Emblem (been wanting to put Marth in the first Smash game for starters because of it's huge popularity) and he uses "trending" for some characters (Corrin apparently being one of them). Bayonetta was the ballot winner of realizable and negotiable characters (being 1st place in Europe and among the top five in the United States, making her this even taking Japan's votes into account).

Corrin was a random addition to the roster. Sakurai is apparently a long-time fan of Fire Emblem (been wanting to put Marth in the first Smash game for starters because of it's huge popularity) and he uses "trending" for some characters (Corrin apparently being one of them). Bayonetta was the ballot winner of realizable and negotiable characters (being 1st place in Europe and among the top five in the United States, making her this even taking Japan's votes into account).

Bayonetta?! I wasn't expecting that. Who was top in the US?

tbh I'm fucking hyped for korin, way more than I expected to be. all the salt probably only made me more hyped...

[12/15/15, 2:37:33 PM] E:uklyd: it looks like they might've done away with the worse part of her costume

[12/15/15, 2:37:33 PM] E:uklyd: the

[12/15/15, 2:37:37 PM] E:uklyd: thigh windows

[12/15/15, 2:37:41 PM] M: oh right those

[12/15/15, 2:39:24 PM] M: cue the complaining about censorship. :V

also

[12/15/15, 2:39:50 PM] E:uklyd: oh my god s/he stole marth's tippers

[12/15/15, 2:39:57 PM] E:uklyd: AND MARTH'S SIDEB

[12/15/15, 2:40:02 PM] E:uklyd: AND THAT PURPLE ARMOR

[12/15/15, 2:40:07 PM] E:uklyd: THIS CHARACTER LOOKS AWESOME

[12/15/15, 2:40:14 PM] E:uklyd: sorry refa etc

All I can say is lol.

I'm just glad these additional characters are optional.

not if you want to compete!

Could you not? I think you've regurgitated your extreme disdain for _____ enough.

lol this coming from you (that being said I agree we don't need more negativity) Edited by Euklyd

Bayonetta?! I wasn't expecting that. Who was top in the US?

Bayonetta was the #1 in Europe and in the top 5 in the US, we know no other names.

Worldwide she was the most physically possible choice among them according to Sakurai.

tbh I'm fucking hyped for korin, way more than I expected to be. all the salt probably only made me more hyped...

[12/15/15, 2:37:33 PM] E:uklyd: it looks like they might've done away with the worse part of her costume

[12/15/15, 2:37:33 PM] E:uklyd: the

[12/15/15, 2:37:37 PM] E:uklyd: thigh windows

[12/15/15, 2:37:41 PM] M: oh right those

[12/15/15, 2:39:24 PM] M: cue the complaining about censorship. :V

also

[12/15/15, 2:39:50 PM] E:uklyd: oh my god s/he stole marth's tippers

[12/15/15, 2:39:57 PM] E:uklyd: AND MARTH'S SIDEB

[12/15/15, 2:40:02 PM] E:uklyd: AND THAT PURPLE ARMOR

[12/15/15, 2:40:07 PM] E:uklyd: THIS CHARACTER LOOKS AWESOME

[12/15/15, 2:40:14 PM] E:uklyd: sorry refa etc

not if you want to compete!

lol this coming from you (that being said I agree we don't need more negativity)

I actually really like how Corrin fights, the dragon stuff especially that very versatile Side B, where you can stick to the ground with the dragon fang or through an opponent even and have like 4 options from that point on is really neat.