FE4 Advance - R.I.P.

Arch

The best thing is not to care. Most of the editing are members trying to take credit for better looking mugs by making small alterations to them, even if it makes them look worse. Let alone not asking permission before they rape your mugs :[

Ah, but I do care. And frankly, I don't know of any fanartist (those who try to make a decent work at least) that wouldn't care if there work were being edited without any given permission. ...Sorry, but we have egos too. >_>

Doesn't much matter anyway. if I hadn't edited it Arch would have made someone else do it.

And why not asking the author him/herself instead?

Besides, what you're basically telling me is that you made an half-assed edit to my sprite just because the lead of the project didn't like it, disregarding whether it was correct or not. Nice job. What you do is just direspecting the hard work of the people who took time for your project.

At this point, I'm just going to remove my contributions (except Edin since it's already inserted and I don't want to cause more work for flyingace who is inserting them.)

Needs work.

Make it more epic.

If epicness was a criteria for validating a sprite, then I'd suggest you replacing all the project's sprites. In other words, your comments don't help.

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

olderlevinprev.gif

WIP for Levin's older self. If there is anything any of you see wrong, please let me know.

Edited by Aviv

Ah, but I do care. And frankly, I don't know of any fanartist (those who try to make a decent work at least) that wouldn't care if there work were being edited without any given permission. ...Sorry, but we have egos too. >_>

You may want to contact some of the "actual" staff members than going through laymen. Though in all truth they really don't have to give a damn and would cite whatever they felt like typing as grounds for retaining your work as theirs. I've a mind to retract all my submissions as well, as the same has happened to a few of them.

Edited by Celice

And why not asking the author him/herself instead?

Besides, what you're basically telling me is that you made an half-assed edit to my sprite just because the lead of the project didn't like it, disregarding whether it was correct or not. Nice job. What you do is just direspecting the hard work of the people who took time for your project.

At this point, I'm just going to remove my contributions (except Edin since it's already inserted and I don't want to cause more work for flyingace who is inserting them.)

If epicness was a criteria for validating a sprite, then I'd suggest you replacing all the project's sprites. In other words, your comments don't help.

Ok I'm sorry, I'll put your original Yurius back in(But his colors will still be changed to FE8 colors.)

You don't need to be like that and take back everything you submitted.

olderlevinprev.gif

WIP for Levin's older self. If there is anything any of you see wrong, please let me know.

His hair on the left is too big.

And doesn't he have a kind of braid going down his right shoulder?

It looks more like a bowtie. o_o

Ok I'm sorry, I'll put your original Yurius back in(But his colors will still be changed to FE8 colors.)

Did it ever occur to you that not all colors are taken directly from an existing game...? That, you know, some of us can create our own palettes to work with? You're limiting the quality to pre-existing colors, which isn't something that should be supported in the first place.

I mean, it's kinda obvious that "fixing" palettes is what fucked over Gandolf's color scheme :(

One can be like whatever one feels like. And do.

Edited by Celice

Did it ever occur to you that not all colors are taken directly from an existing game...? That, you know, some of us can create our own palettes to work with? You're limiting the quality to pre-existing colors, which isn't something that should be supported in the first place.

I mean, it's kinda obvious that "fixing" palettes is what fucked over Gandolf's color scheme :(

Well the colors I edited were dull like the colors in FE6 and Fe7. When I say FE8 colors I don't mean the exact colors from their mugs. I am talking about the depth and contrast of the colors that game used(look at the outline colors from FE7 and FE8, same color, more depth and contrast). Mixing dull and deep colors in various mugs tends to stick out and not look good.

Edited by Nayr

Obviously, but that's not what you had said. Clearly, at least. But one does not have to create new palettes over altering existing ones to create "smart" contrast. If the colors are bleached, you can just as well manipulate various saturation to procure the color necessary.

Mixing dull and deep colors in various mugs tends to stick out and not look good.

Tell that to whomever felt it necessary to bleach Gandolf's skin without touching the rest of his clothes, which previouslys was fine as far as color-depth was concerned, considering his skin tone resonated well-enough as-is.

Tell that to whomever felt it necessary to bleach Gandolf's skin without touching the rest of his clothes, which previouslys was fine as far as color-depth was concerned, considering his skin tone resonated well-enough as-is.

Well considering the Verdane royal family are all light skinned people, not brown, having dark Skin on Gandolf is a liberty that shouldn't be taken. Also when you change the skin color you don't necessarily have to change the color of their clothes or hair. Anybody can wear a certain color of clothes and hair color can vary from person to person.

Well considering the Verdane royal family are all light skinned people, not brown, having dark Skin on Gandolf is a liberty that shouldn't be taken.

Relative to this project, perhaps, but Gandolf was not created for this hack. He was created for FERetro a couple of years ago. As such, what may be canon relative to a remake does not constitute canon for another.

Also when you change the skin color you don't necessarily have to change the color of their clothes or hair. Anybody can wear a certain color of clothes and hair color can vary from person to person.

So then what's your talk about contrasting colors? Or is that exclusive to outlines and skintones and colors that are lifted from the GBA subserial Fire Emblem games :?

Fuck you guys for making me log on while I'm on my vacation.

The only thing I have to say is that there is a difference in editing something to make it better and editing something just because you don't like it. Many of the edits here were done because we saw "flaws" with the work. Some of the sprites actually did need touching up, but a lot of them were fine as is, and this is where the problems came about.

You guys have taken the disclaimer and twisted my words. When I put the disclaimer up there, it was meant to edit sprites if they did not fit in the box or if they had over 16 colors. It was NOT meant to edit sprites just because we had problems with how they looked. If we see a problem with the sprites, we do not fix them. We contact the creator and have them do it. It is their work after all. Some people just don't understand what it is by an artist's intellectual property.

Also Celice, I agree with everything you say about the "staff" collecting everyone's work for their own benefit.

This post will also be copy/pasted onto FEU.

Sigh.

The "Ask before editing" policy has been officially accepted to this project, unless Arch has something against it (which he won't). If the contributor can't be contacted in reasonable amount of time (let's say, 2 weeks?) and the mug is uninsertable in it's current form, minor edits are allowed to make it usable. Someone edit the first post of both this topic to reflect this change.

Edited by Nintenlord

No. I won't go back on what I said. I'll ask that Hilda, Tinny, Yurius and Yuria are removed.

Regarding your PM, it's a big pile of hypocrisy as, you know, while I don't have an account on Tactics Universe, I can still read what's happening there. :mellow:

Also, you claim that Arch has nothing to do with it, but you're wrong. Being in charge of this project, it is his fault for allowing this kind of behavior in the first place.

Concerning my "stupid anger", it's justified. If you want to use ("use" includes reuploading, editing, retouching, etc...) someone else's work, whether it is a fanart, fiction, article, photo... you're going to ask for the author's permission first. Otherwise, it's called stealing.

Honestly, those are just basic manners. Learn them or get out of the Internet.

You guys realize that most FE4 characters had hair like this, right? This was back when anime hair was pretty large still.

Not really. FE4's hairstyle is puffy, but overall, gravity is respected (i.e. long hair fall straight down). Exceptions are Ovo, and Sylvia (her hair are a complete mess).

The problem with Aviv's Levin is that the hair are way too puffy. In fact, I think the top could be lowered at least 10 pixels. Then, it's also pillow-shaded, but it's something that can easily be fixed.

Edited by Marthur

Marthur is right, it is my fault. I allowed this behavior to go on, I had no idea it would get so blown out of proportion. What started with having Dei spruce up Ayra's mug has turned into this twisted mess. Just know that Nayr does not speak on my behalf nor any other staff member of this project. Any mug Nayr has edited that was created by another contributor will be thrown out and the original version restored. As he said he does a lot of stuff without my knowledge. I opened up that compilation sheet and I was astonished to see all the color changes and a few various edits to the mugs. I had no idea that he was doing so much. As for your Yurius, I did not ask him specifically to edit it. We were chatting over IM and I mentioned the hair thing. I thought it odd for someone with hair that long to have it go into the collar. I planned on talking to you about it to see what could be done or if I was just plain wrong to make that assessment. Before I knew it Nayr had taken my complaint upon himself. After I saw his changes I told him he should go and talk to you, apparently that never happened. Marthur, I sincerely apologize for what happened. I sincerely apologize to every spriter, you all have a right to be angry with me. This is my project, I condoned what happened, I am to take the blame. I'm not going to throw anyone under the bus, I gave Nayr the leash to do what he did. In the end I was choked with the same leash. I would ask all who have withdrawn their mugs to reconsider, but I shall not beg. You all have a right to be furious with me. However I promise that this shall never happen again so long as I continue to work on the project. The "ask before edit" policy is officially adopted, I always thought it was a rule of thumb, I guess this is what I get for assuming. With that I ask for your forgiveness, however I realize that I probably don't deserve it.

I would ask all who have withdrawn their mugs to reconsider, but I shall not beg. You all have a right to be furious with me.

Relative-pedantry aside; I had already said on Tactics Universe that if progress picks up where it's a respectable crawl, rather than an unnecessary halt, I wouldn't have a problem with my work still being used. If there's going to be irregular behaviour about submissions, at least consider that the project not look amateurish at the same time, lest you warrant individuals consider their work need not be included.

I might not have a talent for spriting, but I happen to have a Radney Sprite that BlackAvar made for me quite some time ago. I haven't contacted her for quite some time, but I'm sure she wouldn't mind it being used ;) . radneyfacespritekp6.png

We asked her a while ago if she was willing to contribute to the project and what she would like to. That Radney was among the ones she told me we could use.

Thanks for the enthusiasm either way, but if you're going to share someone else's work make sure they know before you post it. It'd save us a bit of trouble. =)

Well Celice, I'm starting to pick up the pace of my crawling. About damn time too.

alecpot1.pngchapter3-1.png

chapter3-2.pngchapter3-3.png

I just wanted to show off the Alec mug because that is one of my favorite mugs.

Edited by Arch

It will be released when it is released. I am planning on throwing you guys another bone with a second demo once I get a few things done, then the next release will probably be the complete 1st generation.

Why is Dierdre a Sage all of a sudden? Shouldn't she be a Shaman?

Shaman -> Sage in FE4.