• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

UI problems for players who drag instead of tap.

Eh, they could just make it default to 3-range, and tap to switch to 2-range or something. Surely no one will complain about that if this tome ends up existing.

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Eh, they could just make it default to 3-range, and tap to switch to 2-range or something. Surely no one will complain about that if this tome ends up existing.

That's very unfriendly UI. And UI design is part of my job.

3 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

But what if Oboro had a Lance that could only hit at 3 range!

It'd be pretty nuts on a death blow +Atk build with an attack buff, but I'd imagine a weapon like that would only have 9 or 10 might anyway lol

What if Oboro had a lance that granted effectiveness against all non-infantry movement types?

2 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

It'd be pretty nuts on a death blow +Atk build with an attack buff, but I'd imagine a weapon like that would only have 9 or 10 might anyway lol

What if Oboro had a lance that granted effectiveness against all non-infantry movement types?

Well, she already has one component of it (Heavy Lance). She needs to go on a quest to find the other weapons and combine them.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

@Arcanite Heavy Ridersbane Bow+.

It's a Bow that shoots Ridersbanes with enhanced tips?

Fun fact: the first time I played Echoes, I thought the Ridersbane was effective against Armors instead, since in JP it's "Knight Killer".

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

2 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Fun fact: the first time I played Echoes, I thought the Ridersbane was effective against Armors instead, since in JP it's "Knight Killer".

Well, the class nomenclature in Japanese has been consistent and unambiguous since forever. "Knight" refers to a mounted unit (horse or otherwise), "armor" refers to an armored foot unit, and "fighter" refers to an unarmored foot unit.

Heck, in Heroes, the Japanese "class" names take this to the extreme with

• Sword Fighter, Lance Fighter, Axe Fighter, Bow Fighter
  • Sword Knight, Lance Knight, Axe Knight, Bow Knight, Red Knight, Blue Knight, Green Knight, Rod Knight
  • Sword Armor, Lance Armor, Axe Armor

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

Well, the class nomenclature in Japanese has been consistent and unambiguous since forever. "Knight" refers to a mounted unit (horse or otherwise), "armor" refers to an armored foot unit, and "fighter" refers to an unarmored foot unit.

Heck, in Heroes, the Japanese "class" names take this to the extreme with

• Sword Fighter, Lance Fighter, Axe Fighter, Bow Fighter
  • Sword Knight, Lance Knight, Axe Knight, Bow Knight, Red Knight, Blue Knight, Green Knight, Rod Knight
  • Sword Armor, Lance Armor, Axe Armor

Yeah, I realized that later on. Actually went and checked it in Heroes lol.

I haven't played all of the games in Japanese, so I'm not 100% familiar. I played the GBA ones in English, since really, the language doesn't matter to me if it's just text, and FE7 was the first one I played.

But hey I beat Berkut the first time without the Ridersbane. I feel good about myself.

10 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

But hey I beat Berkut the first time without the Ridersbane. I feel good about myself.

Ridersbane hasn't been useful for me yet... I think it just doesn't do enough damage for me when I put it on Lukas

1 minute ago, GuiltyLove said:

Ridersbane hasn't been useful for me yet... I think it just doesn't do enough damage for me when I put it on Lukas

It actually cheeses all of Ch 3 and a good chunk of Ch 4, especially if given one or two forges. The trick is to hand it to a fast unit like Clair or Mathilda so they double with it, and they can ORKO a lot of things. The Ridersbane instantly fixes Clair's bad offense and lets her snowball pretty fast.

1 hour ago, GuiltyLove said:

Ridersbane on Mathilda let her solo an entire half of the map by herself in Act 3 (that one map with like 30 cavaliers), so...idk I'm having a grand old time with it :D

1 hour ago, GuiltyLove said:

At max forge it has 27 Mt vs cavalry and gives back +1 AS when equipped. With 24 Atk, 26 Spd, and a +3 Ridersbane you can ORKO every lategame  cav boss, bar none, in Alm's route. Mathilda hits these numbers incredibly easily with one or two stat boosts since her growths carry her so far.

It's great. Rapier is also neat though obtaining it is a bit less obvious, needing to transfer a Brave Sword from Celica's route and evolving it at a Forge.

Spoiler

Ninja'd by Soyboy and Amph but idc

Edited by MrSmokestack

Just now, MrSmokestack said:

At max forge it has 27 Mt vs cavalry and gives back +1 AS when equipped. With 24 Atk, 26 Spd, and a +3 Ridersbane you can ORKO every lategame  cav boss, bar none, in Alm's route.

It's great. Rapier is also neat though obtaining it is a bit less obvious, needing to transfer a Brave Sword from Celica's route and evolving it at a Forge.

Hide contents

Ninja'd by Soyboy and Amph but idc

Dang.. I wasted my silver by forging other stuff D:

29 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

Dang.. I wasted my silver by forging other stuff D:

I mean same here. I also completely wasted my early peddlers because I didn't know they were a one-time deal.

I generally think of first playthroughs as trial runs to learn the mechanics of the game though.

1 hour ago, phineas81707 said:

Also, on the topic of potential tomes... no unit, summonable or otherwise, actually has Thoron+ yet. If you want Thoron, you'll have to use Reinhardt, Olwen or Linde.

Gimme Tailtiu and Tine, pls.

2 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

Also, on the topic of potential tomes... no unit, summonable or otherwise, actually has Thoron+ yet. If you want Thoron, you'll have to use Reinhardt, Olwen or Linde.

Oh yeah, I was wondering about that. I kind of expected M!Robin to be the Thoron+ mage, but nope, Takumi-killer M!Robin was what we got. I guess they could give it to someone like Gotoh, Olson, or the other people mentioned by Vaximillian.

Y'know, I just realized something: none of the non-legendary tomes pass Steel level that have special effects are elemental. They're all constructs to borrow a term from the Lantern Corps: -blade, -owl, -raven, and -wolf. It makes sense since it simplifies things and it means less work for the developers, but at the same time, it would have been cool if, for example, -owl tomes were -bond tomes. So, something like Firebond, Windbond, and Thunderbond. The -bond suffix would imply its effect, the self-spur thing, and we'd have different effects for the tomes.

Also, with the whole Lantern Corps thing, blue mages are powered by hope, green by willpower, and red... by rage. Quite fitting for some of the characters.

Edited by Kaden

1 minute ago, Kaden said:

Oh yeah, I was wondering about that. I kind of expected M!Robin to be the Thoron+ mage, but nope, Takumi-killer M!Robin was what we got. I guess they could give it to someone like Gotoh, Olson, or the other people mentioned by Vaximillian.

Also noteworthy: Rexcalibur+ was introduced by Soren. We got two Silver red tomes in Bolganone+ and Fenrir+ at base, but we're still catching up on the other variants. Probably why we have Blarowl and Gronnowl, but now Rauorowl.

21 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Also noteworthy: Rexcalibur+ was introduced by Soren. We got two Silver red tomes in Bolganone+ and Fenrir+ at base, but we're still catching up on the other variants. Probably why we have Blarowl and Gronnowl, but now Rauorowl.

Was Soren ever associated with a specific wind tome? I checked his page and he's a Wind Sage, so yeah, green mage makes sense.

Not sure who'd be the one to use Rauorowl other than someone from Echoes, but that doesn't make sense for Delthea who can use Aura or Ragnarok, Luthier who's not good around people, and Sonya who apparently starts out with Excalibur? Never played Gaiden and don't have Echoes, so I don't know.

The only one who I can think of would be Orochi since she's quite friendly to people, but it might make more sense for her and Hayato to introduce the animal spirit spells. Arvis, Aversa, and Lyon have their own tomes they're associated with, Canas and Knoll should introduce new dark magic or just have Fenrir+, and Erk, Lute, Miriel, Nyx, and Rhajat might not make sense with their personalities. Maybe Hugh or Pent? Both start with Elfire in their inventory, so they could be red fire mages. Pent would make sense if they introduce Louise alongside him which they will. Actually, it would make even more sense if you have him and his family.

Edited by Kaden

9 minutes ago, Kaden said:

Was Soren ever associated with a specific wind tome? I checked his page and he's a Wind Sage, so yeah, green mage makes sense.

Not sure who'd be the one to use Rauorowl other than someone from Echoes, but that doesn't make sense for Delthea who can use Aura or Ragnarok, Luthier who's not good around people, and Sonya who apparently starts out with Excalibur? Never played Gaiden and don't have Echoes, so I don't know.

The only one who I can think of would be Orochi since she's quite friendly to people, but it might make more sense for her and Hayato to introduce the animal spirit spells. Arvis, Aversa, and Lyon have their own tomes they're associated with, Canas and Knoll should introduce new dark magic or just have Fenrir+, and Erk, Lute, Miriel, Nyx, and Rhajat might not make sense with their personalities. Maybe Hugh or Pent? Both start with Elfire in their inventory, so they could be red fire mages. Pent would make sense if they introduce Louise alongside him which they will. Actually, it would make even more sense if you have him and his family.

Don't count out Tormod!

5 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

The letter is ð, not o. Render as dh if ð is not easily available.

Why can't people just say Redblade?

It's one less key stroke than Raur or whatever the heck they call it, AND it basically means the same thing.

Humans are weird...

I really think characters should be introduced more that have their own personal weapons to separate them. Even if they aren't mains. Using some of my favorites as examples but like..

Ross: Hatchet: Distant Counter 

Edward: Caladbolg 

Ilyana: Rexbolt

Stefan: Vague Katti

Sothe: Baselard

Volke: Peshkatz

Elincia: Amiti

Ashnard: Gurgant

Black Knight: Alondite

Greil: Urvan

Nolan: Tarvos

Micaiah: Thani/Rexaura

Marisa: Shamshir

Other than that I want to see more special weapons like the Zanbato.