Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

6 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Light Magic draining life makes more sense than Water burning right?

Right?

Well last time I checked, Creiddylad looks like explosive holy water to me. So I guess water burning and light life draining are both realities in FE.

Just now, Rezzy said:

Who's that?

By that I mean Lyndis, aka "Lyn". The first playable character in the first FE to leave Japan goes by a nickname. I did not mean Nintendo Power's awful blurb on Descent of Jihad and it's lord Zigludo!

• Replies 77.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

By that I mean Lyndis, aka "Lyn". The first playable character in the first FE to leave Japan goes by a nickname. I did not mean Nintendo Power's awful blurb on Descent of Jihad and it's lord Zigludo!

Ah, but I suppose that's where Lyn (usually spelled Lynn, aka one of the 3 middle names that every girl from the 80s had) is a name in its own right.  I've met like 100 people named Lynn, but never a Lyndis.

To be fair, jihad didn't have the connotation back in the 90s that it does post 9/11.

Edited by Rezzy

7 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

All this talk about name reminds me that Ike is a girls name

Ike is a girl's name?  Since when?  Usually, it's a nickname for Isaac (or Eisenhower).

6 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Wait, her name changed?

I think she was Larchel or Rachel in the Japanese version.

Edited by Rezzy

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The Japanese is Larchel. No second a or divine, majestic and refined beyond all mortal comprehension ' !

Yeah, she was. For a second I thought we were talking about her name changing in English or something.

1 minute ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

90% of the time when people say this sort of thing I end up inclined to agree, or it’s a name that started out being used for one gender and has slowly swapped to be used more commonly for the other. I have never heard of Ike being used as a girls name. It’s usually short for Issac or Isaiah. Is it a thing in other cultures/languages that I’ve just never heard of?

8 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Ike is a girl's name?  Since when?  Usually, it's a nickname for Isaac (or EIsenhower).

5 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

But it isn’t. Ike = Isaac.

Ike is in a weird spot where if you pronounce it "Aike" it sounds manly as all hell, but when you pronounce it "Ihk-ke" its feminine as all hell. In my place, Ike is almost exclusively a girls name with a 90s actress being named Ike as the "go-to" example

Of course Japanese Ike literally means "Go"

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

1 minute ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

90% of the time when people say this sort of thing I end up inclined to agree, or it’s a name that started out being used for one gender and has slowly swapped to be used more commonly for the other. I have never heard of Ike being used as a girls name. It’s usually short for Issac or Isaiah. Is it a thing in other cultures/languages that I’ve just never heard of?

On names, I once heard that names which swap sexes in English tend to start masculine and then become feminine, and rarely the other way around.

And just because I took I a look at L' arachel's Japanese name, while I already had once noted SS's glorious but sadly changed Japanese names like Asseray (Artur) and Heanius (Innes). I never brought up Tellius's changes, so why not do that now?

Tiamat (Titania) is well known, and Stella (Astrid), Chap (Brom), and Soanevalcke (Stefan) are kinda known. But then we have other things not so known, like Wayu (MIa) "Mia is my Wayu anyone?" and Topack (Tormod). There are also: Kevin (Kieran), Senerio (Soren), Lofa (Rolf), Bole (Boyd), Kilroy (Rhys), Elaice (Ilyana), Dalahowe (Devdan), and Lay (Ranulf) I to be Lay'ed!. Ulysses became Bastian (the Japanese works since he's clever), Luchino became Lucia (good because Luchino sounds masculine), and Rieusion and Learne got proper English lessons and became Reyson and Leanne, as did Tanis (Tanith) and Vulci (Ulki). Oltina also became Altina (because Oltina looks old), and Elena and Lehran maintained the semblance of their possible beta Tellius connections found in their Japanese names Erna and Erlan.

On the RD front, Noyce to Nolan was fine, Frieda to Fiona was unnecessary but fine, Orugh became much sexier once he was Volug (same name phonetically, just spelt better), the same for Nike/Nailah because both are just as sweet. Brad to Aran was unneeded, and is now complicated by an Arran, Vize to Vika was a good move though, as was Jeld to Jarod and Wuhalada to Danved. I'm fine with Amrita or Almedha. I am disappointed by Valtelome becoming Valtome, since Mr. "I leave the game running for an hour when Zelgius lifts you off the ground with your legs kicking", since the Senatorial robber of Kefka's laugh deserves the pompousness.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Tiamat (Titania) is well known, and Stella (Astrid), Chap (Brom), and Soanevalcke (Stefan) are kinda known. But then we have other things not so known, like Wayu (MIa) "Mia is my Wayu anyone?" and Topack (Tormod). There are also: Kevin (Kieran), Senerio (Soren), Lofa (Rolf), Bole (Boyd), Kilroy (Rhys), Elaice (Ilyana), Dalahowe (Devdan), and Lay (Ranulf) I to be Lay'ed!. Ulysses became Bastian (the Japanese works since he's clever), Luchino became Lucia (good because Luchino sounds masculine), and Rieusion and Learne got proper English lessons and became Reyson and Leanne, as did Tanis (Tanith) and Vulci (Ulki). Oltina also became Altina (because Oltina looks old), and Elena and Lehran maintained the semblance of their possible beta Tellius connections found in their Japanese names Erna and Erlan.

I will never not refer to Rhys as Mr. Roboto now. I regret not using him more in my playthrough.

Also, didn't two completely separate characters get translated as Mia, in FE8 and FE9? I remember hearing that someone mentioned in a support in FE8 was named Mia, though her Japanese name was completely different from FE9's Mia.

2 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

Also, didn't two completely separate characters get translated as Mia, in FE8 and FE9? I remember hearing that someone mentioned in a support in FE8 was named Mia, though her Japanese name was completely different from FE9's Mia.

Kyle’s Sister from Tellius?

In Forde and Kyle’s B Support (in The Sacred Stones), Forde mentions that Kyle has a sister called Mia. In this game, there is a female swordfighter called Mia. Could the two have any connection? Nope, since the The Sacred Stones Mia was actually called Maia and this game’s Mia was called Wayu. Double name changing clash~

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Kyle’s Sister from Tellius?

In Forde and Kyle’s B Support (in The Sacred Stones), Forde mentions that Kyle has a sister called Mia. In this game, there is a female swordfighter called Mia. Could the two have any connection? Nope, since the The Sacred Stones Mia was actually called Maia and this game’s Mia was called Wayu. Double name changing clash~

Yep, that was it. The formatting reminded me that it was even on this site, which makes me feel a bit embarrassed about not remembering where it was from. Still a funny coincidence though; I hope we get Kyle's sister in Heroes before the next Tellius banner.

47 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I can't speak for the Japanese name for Nosferatu, but being a synonym for vampire and its effect being to suck the life out of one lifeform to heal yourself seems very necromancy and dark magic to be.

The Japanese name is "Resire", which as far as I am aware has no particular meaning.

Japan has a separate weapon named "Nosferatu" in Elibe and Magvel that was localized as "Fenrir" instead.

To make things more confusing, Japan has a separate weapon named "Fenrir" that is the long-range dark magic tome in Jugdral and Tellius that was localized also as "Fenrir".

54 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I don't like to throw the word anorexic around, but her waist makes me wince and she seems sort of stretched vertically.

That looks like a product of the artist's style, which doesn't appear to be meant to be realistic. The proportions both vertically and horizontally are off on literally everything, which tells me the distortion is intentional and stylistic. It's similar to how the chibi art style also has literally every proportion wrong as a stylistic thing.

Olivia's waist bothers me more because her proportions are otherwise correct and the art looks like it was meant to have realistic proportions. It's just her waist that is off.

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

Luke is a bona fide name on it's own, going back to the Bible.

56 minutes ago, Korath88 said:

Except Luke is a full name on its own. How do I know? It's my name.

I had to go and look it up. Apparently "Luke" is just the English version of Latin "Lucas" (in the same vein as "Charles", "Karl", "Carlos", etc. are the same name in different languages) and not a shortening.

Interesting.

Technically, that means "Luke" doesn't date back to the New Testament since the Gospel of Luke would simply be named whatever the equivalent of "Luke" is in each language it was written in or translated to. (So it name of the book as "Luke" would date back to whenever the Gospel of Luke was first translated into English.)

59 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Plus it would cause confusion with Lukas.

They don't seem to have much of an issue with Linde and Linda or Arthur and Arthur and Artur or Leo and Leon.

1 hour ago, DefaultBeep said:

That's a fair point. Although most of the characters they changed don't really strike me as being interested in using nicknames. Especially Roderick; I feel that it better matches his New Mystery portrayal while contrasting well with Luke's.

People use whatever name they are familiar with using. If everyone called you "Rody" while you were growing up despite your legal name being Roderick, you'd probably just settle for being called Rody.

59 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I wish L'Arachel kept her original name, so I could share a name with an FE character.  I call her The Rachel.

L'Arachel's Japanese name is officially "Larchel", though.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The Japanese name is "Resire", which as far as I am aware has no particular meaning.

I don't think my guess that it's a corruption of the Latin "Redire" is totally off, since Redire means "to return", and what does it do? It returns HP to you!

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

My name is officially Vaximillian, and also I’m a cat. I wonder if I am localised.

Are you neutered? And yes, your name is localized in the style used back when English character limits were the norm in Japanese RPGs. Nowadays you'd be localized as "Vermillion Maximillian", but like Ultros and "You Spoony Bard!" your name is in no risk of being changed, ever.

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

People use whatever name they are familiar with using. If everyone called you "Rody" while you were growing up despite your legal name being Roderick, you'd probably just settle for being called Rody.

I guess that might be part of why I like the full names. My name is one that's normally just shortened (Matthew > Matt), but I grew up with people using my full name, and I still prefer to be called by it. I'll concede the overall point to you, even if I still prefer the names personally.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't think my guess that it's a corruption of the Latin "Redire" is totally off, since Redire means "to return", and what does it do? It returns HP to you!

Wrong pronunciation, though.

Redire is pronounced "reh-dee-reh". Resire is pronounced "ree-zire" or "ree-zye-er" (rhymes with "mire" or "sire").

Edited by Ice Dragon

Wow, did this thread get off topic or what? xP

To get back to Heroes stuff, I built up our favorite farm boy! Mostly. :P

Pfg7yAK.png

I noticed I pulled a 4 star +Atk, -Res Donny, and I like him as a character, so why not! He's pretty dang good too.