"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

7 minutes ago, Birdy said:

It depends on which assumptions you make. You assume the chance of getting a focus character is 3% if you open all orbs. And since there are 6 Focus characters, there's a 0,5% chance of getting ninian because of that. But isn't there the possibility that the game calculates the chance after you've chosen an orb? If you only open up blue's and the game then calculates if you would get a Focus character or not, chances of pulling Ninian would indeed be 3%.

This is how I think of it.  As though there are more than one pool.

Pool 1 is the color.  Green/Blue/Red/Grey are all pools.
From inside Pool 1 you have a statistical chance to go into the 5* Focus, 5*, 4*, or 3* Pool 2
Inside Pool 2, all the odds are equivilant so in Ninian's case it would just be her at 100% chance.

This is how I would program it, but there are many different ways to do it.  I believe there was a thread earlier talking about this and the general consensus is no one really knows.

Edited by Lushen

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, mochibird said:

Yes, I'm hesitant to upgrade my M!Robin because of his IVs. He loses 4 points compared to the neutral nature, ouch. And same with Nowi's, who's tankier but gets doubled even more *sigh* I'm really tempted with Shareena and Nino because I've taken a liking to both, but my rational side refuses to give in. Nino has an ideal IV set (I think?) with +atk -hp and she's been great even as a 4*+.

I suppose I'll wait and see if I can get anyone new or with better IVs when I scrape together some orbs ;;

Thank you two for your input, though, it's given me some peace of mind.

Its impossible to lose 4 pts compared to neutral. +/-1 is the most difference that can happen. 

Funny enough, I have Sanaki, Linde, and Nino. The three of them can just counter each other. Before I got Nino, though (because she is relatively new), I was just using m!Robin to counter Linde. Or if I were lucky enough, I'd wait for her to come to me and 1-shot her with Takumi if he could 1-shot her.

Speaking of which, I took triangle adept off Sanaki because she does enough damage to greens but sometimes I need her to take out the blues as well. Without triangle adept and being +res, could Sanaki survive being hit/doubled by a +atk Linde or something?

Edited by Sunwoo

12 minutes ago, Lushen said:

This is how I think of it.  As though there are more than 1 pools.

From inside Pool 1 you have a statistical chance to go into the 5* Focus, 5*, 4*, or 3* Pool 2
Inside Pool 2, all the odds are equivilant so in Ninian's case it would just be her at 100% chance.

This is how I would program it, but there are many different ways to do it.

He has a point though, because if that reasoning is true, there wouldn't really be a 3% chance of getting a focus characters, since there are no green unit focus characters. 

Edit: I wonder if it could be possible that they add the missing focus percentage that green orbs have to the other orbs. Meaning that blue actually has a 4% chance of getting Ninian (3% + 1% carrying over from not having a green focus character that's split over the other 3 colors.)

10 minutes ago, mochibird said:

Oh. Maybe the calculator I used was off, then. Or I suck at math.

You probably missed the increase in weapon might. 5*'s in the calculator take into account having the strongest weapon equipped on them, since it's innate for 5* characters. Since you're upgrading from promoting, you need to add the stats to atk with changing the weapon. 

Edited by Birdy

5 minutes ago, Birdy said:

You probably missed the increase in weapon mind. 5*'s in the calculator take into account having the strongest weapon equipped on them, since it's innate for 5* characters. Since you're upgrading from promoting, you need to add the stats to atk with changing the weapon. 

M!Robin doesn't have any HP modifiers, I believe. I checked on another calculator and the stats were still 36/40/43. I did the math wrong from the beginning, so my bad :>_<:

31 minutes ago, Lushen said:

This is how I would program it, but there are many different ways to do it.  I believe there was a thread earlier talking about this and the general consensus is no one really knows.

As a software developer, it doesn't make sense to program it this way, and it makes the probabilities displayed in-game for legal reasons inaccurate. I don't know what the exact wording of the laws that require this, but as a software developer, I'd rather not pick any fights with the government that aren't necessary.

The "best" (my opinion) way to program it is to simply pick 5 characters from the entire pool and plop them on the board, hiding their identity and only showing their color. At this point, you can even just toss their identities and reroll them (with the exact same probabilities) when the player picks a color to summon.

This method results in the formulation used in my post.

1 hour ago, Lushen said:

49 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

As a software developer, it doesn't make sense to program it this way, and it makes the probabilities displayed in-game for legal reasons inaccurate. I don't know what the exact wording of the laws that require this, but as a software developer, I'd rather not pick any fights with the government that aren't necessary.

The "best" (my opinion) way to program it is to simply pick 5 characters from the entire pool and plop them on the board, hiding their identity and only showing their color. At this point, you can even just toss their identities and reroll them (with the exact same probabilities) when the player picks a color to summon.

This method results in the formulation used in my post.

Based on pulling tables (Reddit had one where a guy did like 1000 pulls), it's almost certain the game does the latter -- they randomly select a character, and then simply "reveal" the color. That's why you see more red and blue orbs: there are more red/blue characters than green/colorless.

Newbie here. I'll go to the point, I need Arena advice.

At first I just put my 3 5* heroes Roy/Tiki/Camilla at level 40 on the team and hoped to faceroll but I actually got wrecked and couldn't reach 7 wins.
So, I pulled Takumi and kept it at lowest level so it could actually carry with his insane weapon ATK bonus pairing it with season heroes, and won easily to reach 2500-3000 offense points every season fur feathers. But I noticed now that I never make it into the ranking (I've heard that you must reach from 4000 points onwards), although I'm tier 6 apparently, and I'm feeling I'm doing it incorrectly.

So, should I level Takumi and Lucina to 40 and start facing an actual challenge against other high-stat teams to try earning a rank? I'm most F2P and I don't have too many pieces to form a meta team. 

Also, is it worth to include more than 1 seasonal character in the team? I've heard that doing so thrices the bonus points but I'm not pretty sure. Because in that case I may rather stick to lvl 30 Takumi, low level Olivia and two low level seasonal heroes and still get around 3000 points easily for the feathers.

1 minute ago, Fire Penguin Disco Panda said:

At first I just put my 3 5* heroes Roy/Tiki/Camilla at level 40 on the team and hoped to faceroll but I actually got wrecked and couldn't reach 7 wins.
So, I pulled Takumi and kept it at lowest level so it could actually carry with his insane weapon ATK bonus pairing it with season heroes, and won easily to reach 2500-3000 offense points every season fur feathers. But I noticed now that I never make it into the ranking (I've heard that you must reach from 4000 points onwards), although I'm tier 6 apparently, and I'm feeling I'm doing it incorrectly.

So, should I level Takumi and Lucina to 40 and start facing an actual challenge against other high-stat teams to try earning a rank? I'm most F2P and I don't have too many pieces to form a meta team. 

Also, is it worth to include more than 1 seasonal character in the team? I've heard that doing so thrices the bonus points but I'm not pretty sure. Because in that case I may rather stick to lvl 30 Takumi, low level Olivia and two low level seasonal heroes and still get around 3000 points easily for the feathers.

The total stats/rating of your units determine who you go up against and how much points you can score. So, keeping Takumi at the lowest level actually gave you less points then you could have if he was leveled. It's also why some units like Hector and Effie are so sought after/used much in the arena, because they have some of the highest stat totals in the game. 

Takumi and Lucina are both probably the best units in their respective colors, so yes, they're VERY recommended to level and use.

You only need one bonus character to get the maximum rewards. Using more won't give you more points. Good luck! :)

2 minutes ago, Fire Penguin Disco Panda said:

First you are going to need to understand how arena works. Your arena score is doubled if you use 1 or more seasonal unit, so you don't need to use more than one. The max amount you can score in the arena depends on your BST (base total stats). Basically the total number of all your stats for your arena team. So having units with a high BST score will maximize your points. That also means training your units to lv40. If a unit dies during battle, that will also lower your score. So try to keep a deathless streak if possible.

3 minutes ago, Fire Penguin Disco Panda said:

First, don't feel afraid to use some 4-star characters if they help supplement your team's weaknesses. Your team is heavy on red units, which means you're trading damage against the other common red units in the current metagame, and you lack a blue unit to more safely engage enemy red units.

I'd do this before looking into leveling up Takumi and Lucina. As much as both of these characters are very, very good on their own, it means nothing if your team composition simply doesn't work.

There is no point in using more than 1 seasonal character on your offense team. It's either you have one and get double points or you don't have one and don't get double points. Simple and easy.

Also note that seasonal characters do not affect your defense score.

2 minutes ago, Birdy said:

The total stats/rating of your units determine who you go up against and how much points you can score. So, keeping Takumi at the lowest level actually gave you less points then you could have if he was leveled. It's also why some units like Hector and Effie are so sought after/used much in the arena, because they have some of the highest stat totals in the game. 

He left Takumi in his party unleveled to keep his rating down to find easier matches that he can win, which is a valid strategy if all you aim for is a 7-win streak.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'd do this before looking into leveling up Takumi and Lucina. As much as both of these characters are very, very good on their own, it means nothing if your team composition simply doesn't work.

While true, these characters are so good that they're worth building a team around. While out of the 5 units he posted, 3 were indeed red, Lucina is certainly the best of them. I guess if he's really lacking a magic unit in his team, he could take Tiki instead of Lucina, but even that I find debatable in quite some cases.

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

He left Takumi in his party unleveled to keep his rating down to find easier matches that he can win, which is a valid strategy if all you aim for is a 7-win streak.

Indeed, but since he said he felt like he did it incorrectly trying to rank and while did show some knowledge towards ratings and scores, I didn't know how much exactly and I thought it would be best if I would still explain it a bit.

33 minutes ago, GravyDonson said:

Who should I unlock potential on?

Screenshot_2017-03-14-20-00-23[1].png

Sharena or F corrin. You have no blue or green units. All I see is red. It actually hurts my eyes XD

42 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Sharena or F corrin. You have no blue or green units. All I see is red. It actually hurts my eyes XD

Yeah when I started out all I wanted was a Lyn so I focused nothing but reds :^) I guess what i'm asking is which unit would benefit most from a star rank up. I know basically nothing about building a team comp in this game so any info is appreciated. Also just pulled a 5* Ninian so i'll start lvl grinding her soon.

Is "Pick a god and pray" not a part of Frederick's Special quote rotation?  I've been using him, and have yet to see him say it.

8 minutes ago, PairaDocs said:

Is there any correlation between a characters place in the team's lineup and where that character gets placed on the map in a battle?

Yes but its hard to tell.  During grand hero battles someone will let you know which slot goes where.  Otherwise, I'm sure you could find it for all the arena maps...really wish they had reposition though.

6 hours ago, BANRYU said:

I love how I've rolled I think every flier except the ones that are considered good lmao.... RIP...

bumping this again since it never got all the way answered. =___= @pianime94 suggests using Gunter apparently but not really sure who to roll for the rest...

I wasn't all the way sure about Gunter since Harsh Command and HONE* Cavalry are good skills and I highly considered using him as fodder when Skill Inheritance comes around to put it on someone better (I've merged them since then and realized that may have been a bad ideal OTL. RIP) ; In particular, if Skill Inheritance works the way I think it will, then Abel has a C-skill slot open for Hone Cavalry if I decide to go that route.... though ofc that leaves me without a green barring Cecilia shrug

As a Cavalry player myself, I'd say run with Leo, Eliwood, Gunter, and Abel. I used Ursula (before I got Reinhardt) myself because I don't have Abel, but Abel should fare better.

Gunter's real use is a hone bot and physical tank/chipper really. Leo, Eliwood, and Abel should be your main cleanup/burst squad. For prioritizing who to hone, I'd recommend honing Leo and Abel (unless your Eliwood is 5*).

If we can transfer Hone Cavalry I'd throw it to Frederick lol. He technically does better than Gunter as a unit.

Edited by pianime94

49 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Is "Pick a god and pray" not a part of Frederick's Special quote rotation?  I've been using him, and have yet to see him say it.

Shamefully, it is not. What were they thinking?

To anyones knowledge, is there a way to tell if a 5* focus will end up in (3/4)* nonfocus in the future?  For example, Ephraim did, but Eirika didn't.  I would think that would be because Ephraim is better so they wanted him to stay rare.  However, Reinhardt is now available as a 4* even though Olwen is still 5* only, despite her being worse in every way.