"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

3 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Next nature question: 

Neutral or +DEF/-HP VL!Ike? I know the difference isn't big. I'll use him for the new modes + TTs but not arena (except in bonus seasons).

I would go with +Def. -HP should not matter with insane bulk increase, and it also makes it slightly easier for the healer to top him off.

36 minutes ago, Chelone said:

Still in need for another Archer, my only good one is a +speed Brave build B!Lyn.

I dont have much available but this is what I have.

+atk -hp Gordin

Neutral Klein

+hp -def Leon

empty vessel Takumi.

If you need them for Arena Assault, budget Brave Bow archers are the most effective for their cheap price. I would focus on Klein since he is the cheapest to invest in (just Stamina needed, no skill inheritance required). Next, I would go with Gordin and just slap Attack +3 on him if you do not want to give him Death Blow. Leon will need Brave Bow and Attack +3 making him the most expensive to invest in.

As for FH!Takumi, you can give him a budget Brave Bow build, but I think you might want to keep his default bow since it seems fun.

Edited by XRay

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, XRay said:

Sorry about that. I think I might have missed it. I would generally run Luna/Bonfire/Iceberg for a 3 cool down Special. Atk Special needs Atk to be really high since it only does 30%/50% of your Atk stat, while Def/Res Specials are generally much better since they do 50%/80% of your Def/Res stat.

Luna is generally better on Player Phase units since their Def/Res usually are not stacked and they sometimes dump it with Life and Death if it is high enough. Enemy Phase units generally run Bonfire/Iceberg, although Luna may sometimes be more optimal for them too. I would double check the calculator to be sure.

This Reddit analysis is a little outdated, but the math break down is there if you want something more specific. I generally just run the calculator using Enemies +Spd with Fury overwrite to test which Special is better on a particular unit.

No problem. :)
And I know that Def/Res-specials are usually superior, I'm talking about units like LoD Linde specifically, who has both trash defense and resistance.

But yeah, I did the math already, and my point is that I'm not quite sure. Atk in the mid 50s/with a buff at about 60 gives you between 16 and 18 damage from Draconic Aura, meaning the enemy would need at least 34 Def/Res in the best and 38 in the worst case for Luna to outdamage DA. And while armors and dragons are more common now, I'm uncertain whether they're common enough to justify Luna>DA, especially as there's also stuff like Tempest Trials to consider.
And it's quite another issue again for offensive mages as not even most armors/dragons have such high resistance, just the healers which usually are pretty rare and unproblematic anyways.

4 minutes ago, Sias said:

No problem. :)
And I know that Def/Res-specials are usually superior, I'm talking about units like LoD Linde specifically, who has both trash defense and resistance.

But yeah, I did the math already, and my point is that I'm not quite sure. Atk in the mid 50s/with a buff at about 60 gives you between 16 and 18 damage from Draconic Aura, meaning the enemy would need at least 34 Def/Res in the best and 38 in the worst case for Luna to outdamage DA. And while armors and dragons are more common now, I'm uncertain whether they're common enough to justify Luna>DA, especially as there's also stuff like Tempest Trials to consider.
And it's quite another issue again for offensive mages as not even most armors/dragons have such high resistance, just the healers which usually are pretty rare and unproblematic anyways.

For mages, then definitely Moonbow. Eating a magic counter and then activate a Special in the first round of combat is very important. If you run Heavy Blade, then I would go with Luna.

Draconic Aura is better against units with low Resistance, but units with Low Res usually do not need a strong Special (or any Special in some cases) to kill them. HP tanking is not really a thing in this game, so I would focus more on Def/Res tanks, and Luna will usually crush their Defense or Resistance.

Unless there is a specific unit that you need to kill that Draconic Aura can but Luna cannot or if the calculator shows Draconice Aura having better overall results, I would go with Luna since it is a little more applicable against more units.

15 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Open question is what to do with my new +Atk -Def Summer Gaius. A 33/37 offensive statline is better than I though it would be, and probably screams Firesweep Bow, but that's not likely to show up anytime soon for me. I already have a neutral Bridelia +1 so I probably don't need another Brave Bow foot archer. So in terms of accessible options that kinda just leaves Slaying Bow or his default icy pole.

For the other slots I'm thinking cheap - I want to preserve his bulk as an anti-mage archer (I have none of Inner, Jeorge or Niles) but Fury or Death Blow is too valuable for him. Could go Darting Blow, Spd+3 or even Res+3 for activating Def Ploy. Desperation probably picks itself for the B-slot though his native Vantage seems passable if I prefer a mage-bait role. Then just Iceberg and Draw Back probably.

This is not cheap , but I gave everything to this candy man when he come with optimal IV.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20180303-034415.thumb.png.a2ab1a6a1d396efb677eaca6b6626dc2.png

33 res is not joke, Def Ploy help him catch more kills. Deny Ayra and Mia(I hate them). Generally, you can put Cancel Affirnity so raven tome mage can't touch him. Switch to Brave bow anytime you want to clear GHB with ease. Firesweep is mainly for arena purpose.

8 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Which Shiro should I use? +ATK/-HP (twice, *sigh*) or +HP/-RES?

I don't plan to give him big SI, but I'll use him in TTs with QR seal. +HP/-RES Shiro got Bonfire, Ignis and Renewal so far, the other one is still Level 1. 

@mcsilas What did you do with your 3 Shiros? 

I'd definitely go +Atk/-HP. He wants Atk/Def boons so you're lucky, I wish I had that Shiro!

HP bane is usually negligible and even then there's HP+3 seal to quickly fix it up for GHBs or something. Just slap QR on Shiro and profit.

Personally I'd merge the one that you have skills with to the new +Atk one. SP grinding 5 star exclusives is kind of annoying.

Maybe keep the last dupe for fodder if you find someone who makes good use of Def Tactic/Steady Breath?

10 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Well, you certainly seem to care more than me if your response is that defensive.

If you will put it like that, I'm glad too that I can trigger you to quote me with just one sentence on that recommendation.

6 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

I'd definitely go +Atk/-HP. He wants Atk/Def boons so you're lucky, I wish I had that Shiro!

HP bane is usually negligible and even then there's HP+3 seal to quickly fix it up for GHBs or something. Just slap QR on Shiro and profit.

Personally I'd merge the one that you have skills with to the new +Atk one. SP grinding 5 star exclusives is kind of annoying.

Maybe keep the last dupe for fodder if you find someone who makes good use of Def Tactic/Steady Breath?

37 instead of 44 HP is a difference, but I'll go with the attack boon like you proposed. I already gave him Bonfire and let him learn all skills (the grind was not too hard because of double SP weekend), but he won't get the merge. I'm trying to build some mixed teams and those tactic skills are good for this purpose. 

I'm low on Subakis, so he'll have to keep the seal for a while. 

I'm cleaning out my box and have both a [+Atk, -Spd] and [+Atk, -Def] Alm. Considering Alm literally doesn't need any stat other than Atk (if you're getting counterattacked at all, you've probably done something wrong), it doesn't really matter which one I keep, but I assume that the -Spd one is better since Alm is already on the slow side.

18 minutes ago, Ginko said:

If you will put it like that, I'm glad too that I can trigger you to quote me with just one sentence on that recommendation.

It's great that you think so. My mind control technology is complete. Time to begin mass production. Our posts are getting progressively longer.

16 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

37 instead of 44 HP is a difference, but I'll go with the attack boon like you proposed. I already gave him Bonfire and let him learn all skills (the grind was not too hard because of double SP weekend), but he won't get the merge. I'm trying to build some mixed teams and those tactic skills are good for this purpose. 

I'm low on Subakis, so he'll have to keep the seal for a while. 

Oh I was comparing the -HP to Neutral HP stats in my head haha

but +Atk is good anyway especially for QR since the sooner you can delete an enemy in enemy phase the better.

A spare Dorcas works, too lol

10 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm cleaning out my box and have both a [+Atk, -Spd] and [+Atk, -Def] Alm. Considering Alm literally doesn't need any stat other than Atk (if you're getting counterattacked at all, you've probably done something wrong), it doesn't really matter which one I keep, but I assume that the -Spd one is better since Alm is already on the slow side.

I'm running a +ATK/-DEF Alm +1 with Fury and Swordbreaker. He doesn't need DEF against dragons, but sometimes neutral SPD helps to quad Nowis and other slow tanks. His DEF is still high enough to survive a hit. 

13 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

A spare Dorcas works, too lol

I only have my -ATK Dorcas. No QR3 fodder, but I'm used to calc 80% health anyway. ^^'

21 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Our posts are getting progressively longer.

It was you who start it, not me. If you will stop, I'll stop.

Edited by Ginko

14 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

I'm running a +ATK/-DEF Alm +1 with Fury and Swordbreaker. He doesn't need DEF against dragons, but sometimes neutral SPD helps to quad Nowis and other slow tanks. His DEF is still high enough to survive a hit. 

Def happens to be Alm's super bane. Don't think that Ice Dragon is using him for Arena scoring (probably Arena Assault if anything) but that's a thing to consider as well.
In case of Nowi she needs to be -Spd for him to double with neutral Spd. But doesn't Steady Breath Nowi tanks him anyway which means we won't survive her counter?
All the other dragons are just gutted by him anyway so quadding isn't as important. 30 Spd is more or less irrelevant anyway.

10 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Huh. Interesting. I did some quick calcs, and it does seem his ability to double slow tanks makes a slight difference, even if only by about a handful of match-ups.

For reference, I'm using the builds +5/10 Alm [+Atk, -Def/Spd] (Falchion [unique], Death Blow 3, Attack +3) and (Falchion [unique], Moonbow, Death Blow 3, Heavy Blade 3).

2 minutes ago, Zeratul said:

Def happens to be Alm's super bane. Don't think that Ice Dragon is using him for Arena scoring (probably Arena Assault if anything) but that's a thing to consider as well.

-Def only drops his stat total from 158 to 157, which doesn't actually affect your score at all.

10 minutes ago, Ginko said:

It was you who start it, not me. If you will stop, I'll stop.

I started nothing. You're the one who acted so defensively from me merely quoting you with an observation. You seem to be unable to lighten up considering every single one of your posts in response to mine have been either an attempt to get in some form of last word or acting as if I'm trying to pick a fight with you or something like that. Seriously, chill.

7 minutes ago, Zeratul said:

In case of Nowi she needs to be -Spd for him to double with neutral Spd. But doesn't Steady Breath Nowi tanks him anyway which means we won't survive her counter?
All the other dragons are just gutted by him anyway so quadding isn't as important. 30 Spd is more or less irrelevant anyway.

I didn't run the calculations, but I thought Nowi would need TA to survive refined Alm. Isn't -SPD a popular Bane for her anyway?

@Ice Dragon Is it possible to kill all dragon builds with a CA2 Alm? His Swordbreaker doesn't get much use lately and I was thinking of sacrificing a 4* Mathilda. 

5 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

I didn't run the calculations, but I thought Nowi would need TA to survive refined Alm. Isn't -SPD a popular Bane for her anyway?

@Ice Dragon Is it possible to kill all dragon builds with a CA2 Alm? His Swordbreaker doesn't get much use lately and I was thinking of sacrificing a 4* Mathilda. 

I derped. Somehow I switched SB with TA in my mind, my bad.
There are Nowi builds which focus on making her very hard to double. Something like +Spd, +Spd Refine Lighting Breath and Fury will have 42 Spd with Hone Dragons. That's pretty annoying to deal with if you don't have a dedicated counter or if you can't remove the unit with Hone Dragons since she still retains good bulk.

But that Nowi suffers the same fate as any other Nowi without TA, so it doesn't matter.

1 minute ago, Zeratul said:

I derped. Somehow I switched SB with TA in my mind, my bad.
There are Nowi builds which focus on making her very hard to double. Something like +Spd, +Spd Refine Lighting Breath and Fury will have 42 Spd with Hone Dragons. That's pretty annoying to deal with if you don't have a dedicated counter or if you can't remove the unit with Hone Dragons since she still retains good bulk.

But that Nowi suffers the same fate as any other Nowi without TA, so it doesn't matter.

No problem, stuff like that happens to me all the time. ^^

I usually don't check the speed of Nowis, since everybody except LA!Roy is faster than my Cherche. She kills those Nowis anyway, but some variants with ultra high DEF survive on a defensive tile. Btw: In AA one of the best/cheapest Nowi counters is Anna. 

6 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Against +10 opponents running [+Def] (Lighting Breath+ [Def], Bonfire, Steady Breath / Triangle Adept 3, Swordbreaker 3, Close Def 3) +6/6/6/6:

• +0 Alm [+Atk] (Falchion [unique], Moonbow, Death Blow 3, Cancel Affinity 2, Heavy Blade 3) +0/0/0/0 fails to kill Steady Breath Nowi (11 HP) and Corrin (14 HP) and Triangle Adept 3 Nowi (5 HP) and Corrin (7 HP). Without the Close Def Sacred Seal, only Corrin survives.
  • +10 Alm [+Atk] (Falchion [unique], Moonbow, Death Blow 3, Cancel Affinity 3, Heavy Blade 3) +0/0/0/0 fails to kill Steady Breath Nowi (1 HP) and Corrin (4 HP). Removing any one of the defensive skills on the build results in a loss for both Nowi and Corrin.

All of the red and blue dragons with the above build and buffs (except Triangle Adept Ninian, who still survives) are capable of killing an unbuffed Alm on initiation, though (Swordbreaker is required for the slower ones, of course).

8 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Against +10 opponents running [+Def] (Lighting Breath+ [Def], Bonfire, Steady Breath / Triangle Adept 3, Swordbreaker 3, Close Def 3) +6/6/6/6:

• +0 Alm [+Atk] (Falchion [unique], Moonbow, Death Blow 3, Cancel Affinity 2, Heavy Blade 3) +0/0/0/0 fails to kill Steady Breath Nowi (11 HP) and Corrin (14 HP) and Triangle Adept 3 Nowi (5 HP) and Corrin (7 HP). Without the Close Def Sacred Seal, only Corrin survives.
  • +10 Alm [+Atk] (Falchion [unique], Moonbow, Death Blow 3, Cancel Affinity 3, Heavy Blade 3) +0/0/0/0 fails to kill Steady Breath Nowi (1 HP) and Corrin (4 HP). Removing any one of the defensive skills on the build results in a loss for both Nowi and Corrin.

All of the red and blue dragons with the above build and buffs (except Triangle Adept Ninian, who still survives) are capable of killing an unbuffed Alm on initiation, though (Swordbreaker is required for the slower ones, of course).

Interesting, thanks. It would have been too easy anyway. At least against those dragons his speed doesn't make a difference. 

One day I'll check the other calculators out. A pity Kagero charts doesn't update anymore. 

2 hours ago, ScarletSylph said:

So I got 3 Shiros from the legendary banner but none have the most optimal IVs. Which among these are usable or should I just have them fodder off? 

+spd/-hp  |  +hp/-def  |  +def/-atk

That sucks.

Shiro
Bright Naginata, Bonfire
Steady Stance, Quick Riposte
Close Def
Melee Enemies +Spd, Fury overwrite

Enemy Phase [+Atk, -Spd] 103:3:24
Enemy Phase [+Spd, -HP] 90:3:37
Enemy Phase [+HP, -Def] 91:0:39
Enemy Phase [+Def, -Atk] 90:1:39

Enemy Phase [+Atk, -Spd, Fierce Stance] 104:7:19
Enemy Phase [+Spd, -HP, Fierce Stance] 97:7:26
Enemy Phase [+HP, -Def, Fierce Stance] 97:4:29
Enemy Phase [+Def, -Atk, Fierce Stance] 98:2:30

The results are not as bad if you switched over to Fierce Stance, but that is pretty expensive. I would go with +HP or +Def depending on how much you want to invest in him if you really want to use him.

I would just bench them for now and save them for merging or foddering later. No need to rush.

Edited by XRay

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

That sucks.

Shiro
Bright Naginata, Bonfire
Steady Stance, Quick Riposte
Close Def
Melee Enemies +Spd, Fury overwrite

Enemy Phase [+Atk, -Spd] 103:3:24
Enemy Phase [+Spd, -HP] 90:3:37
Enemy Phase [+HP, -Def] 91:0:39
Enemy Phase [+Def, -Atk] 90:1:39

Enemy Phase [+Atk, -Spd, Fierce Stance] 104:7:19
Enemy Phase [+Spd, -HP, Fierce Stance] 97:7:26
Enemy Phase [+HP, -Def, Fierce Stance] 97:4:29
Enemy Phase [+Def, -Atk, Fierce Stance] 98:2:30

The results are not as bad if you switched over to Fierce Stance, but that is pretty expensive. I would go with +HP or +Def depending on how much you want to invest in him if you really want to use him.

I would just bench them for now and save them for merging or foddering later. No need to rush.

Ikr. My first bunches of Shiros too and all the IVs suck. Was hoping to get good IVs too since all my lance infantry have the worst IVs (most of them are -atk :c)

Got no Fierce Stance fodder so I might just bench them all for now then. Though I was thinking of foddering one of them to my +def Myrhh. Would she greatly benefit from steady stance instead of fury? She is currently using fury 3, QR2 and hone dragons and is part of my dragon team.