Voting Gauntlet: Battle of the Mages!

Vaximillian

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

Leo honestly cannot win even if all the flags are used on him. His best chance would have been had he managed to maintain his position as lead or just above Robin's throughout the time. Leo's army is about out of flags and Robin's army still has some in store that's gonna be saved for later.

I've still got about 1900 flags with more quests to go.  I've been busy with Mothers' day stuff and haven't been able to play much today.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Rezzy said:

I've still got about 1900 flags with more quests to go.  I've been busy with Mothers' day stuff and haven't been able to play much today.

Speaking of which... HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY EVERYONE! XD

2 minutes ago, a bear said:

Julia: 8,019,561,043

Tharja: 7,989,199,109

So proud of me fellow members of team Julia right now. Sure we're coming off of another x3, but we're sticking close, maybe we'll get lucky at the end. 

10 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

He only got the stone of Reneis because Eirika gave it to him. In fact, that's precisely why Eirika gets bashed on because she played the part of stopping Ephraim.

Eirika and Ephraim had to retrieve the stone together, because both plot bracelets were needed to obtain it.  

I'm not sure what you mean with the Eirika bashing?  Even though I like Eirika more than Ephraim, I thought the main reason she gets hate is the fact she is quite naive to the point some view it as being stupid.

10 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

But that was the one and only time Ephraim was ever stopped or even seemingly beaten. But when he's surrounded by an army and he's fought hard to conquer a castle? He just manages to escape. The fact is that Ephraim has never actually lost in the story in fights, no matter who it was. And even if this was the work of the Demon King's magic, that just further proves my point. It takes a demonic being of godly power to stop Ephraim. 

The point is Ephraim is reckless.  And it's addressed that he is.  Yes, he's powerful.  But that's really about it, besides being powerful, Ephraim is reckless, terrible at diplomacy (a very necessary skill for a king), and not particularly booksmart.  I think the main problem with Ephraim is his primary faults aren't particularly relevant to wartime so they don't come up as much as Eirika's.

12 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

However, the issue I have here is how Robin's case is how some of his characteristics are determined by the player, where he can be self-sacrificing or logical. But that's because he's still an Avatar character.

Except... not really.  Robin's dialogue is all set in stone with the variations being limited to a few irrelevant choices.  They're essentially a preset character the player designs the appearance of.  

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Sorry for this being late, I've been out all day, but not true. Tellius didn't SELL well. It DID get good reviews overall and it is mostly well-liked by those who played it. Ike DOES have popularity from Smash, but he's also loved among people who played and liked his games. The only people that don't like Ike seem to not like the Tellius games much themselves. One of the most common reasons that people in Japan voted for Ike in that Famitsu poll is because he stands out and stuff. Nothing to do with Smash.

And the reason Tellius didn't sell well is mainly poor marketing and poor timing of their releases. PoR came at the end of the GC's life cycle and RD came around the time Brawl and Super Mario Galaxy did. Most people were going to pick the latter two over RD if they couldn't afford two or all of them.

Going on topic, glad to see Robin is winning! :)

Not true for everyone. I don't like Ike particularly, despite playing and very much liking his games, and a couple of my friends are similar. I think that's overgeneralising in terms of Tellius fans, personally. Smash likely does have a big part in it, since a huge amount of people who didn't play before Awakening have played that game. It's possibly why Roy is so high despite never coming out over here, too. 

I think FE has always been pretty niche up until Awakening, and the lack of marketing really didn't do wonders for either of the Tellius games, which already were likely going to struggle -.-

As for the topic... I wish Leo would fall enough behind to get the 3x multiplier. I keep missing it so I'm now down to third tier in rankings >.<

6 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Had Awakening not been so rushed, perhaps we would have had to do that. This isn't like the Tellius series where they could go so all out that they can have all the perspectives be better understood. 

i mean sure but that doesn't really excuse the fact that the death of so many people isn't acknowledged

again, even shadow dragon had a short acknowledgement of the fact that you're killing actual people who might not want to be fighting

it wouldn't have been that hard to just show a little awareness of the deaths of so many people who could've been innocent

2 minutes ago, Frenzify said:

Here's the thing, though. Although the trust thrust upon Robin is sudden and out of nowhere, I would say he at least earns it someplace down the line, and they don't trust him to absolute insane levels.

I don't think I'll ever be convinced that Robin is more of a Gare Stu than a literal prophesied character who manages to convince his friends and family, who were previously against him, to jump into a presumably bottomless canyon. In every route he's essentially the chosen one.

He's much less deserving of the trust and responsibilities thrust upon him than Robin, and he has even more than Robin.

believe me i'm not trying to convince you of anything, I think corrin's awful too and that the sudden trust everyone has for him is dumb and actually I could go on for really long about this I dislike corrin way more than robin

i just think robin can be considered worse since there's a lot more moments of blind praise for him than corn, and although they're badly executed, corn makes actual mistakes. it's really a matter of what you find worse in a character.

5 minutes ago, a bear said:

Julia: 8,019,561,043

Tharja: 7,989,199,109

holy shit

i don't think it'll last, but that's pretty amazing

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Going on topic, glad to see Robin is winning! :)

You know, I would be more upset that Leo's losing if not for the fact that I knew he had no chance of beating Robin anyways. At this point, I've just accepted defeat and am biding my time for the multiplier to potentially come back so I boost my score some more.

Oh yeah, I haven't played any gauntlet matches for a few hours because I've been Skyping. Hoping to not have to spend flags until team Robin gets a multiplier, but it feels like I don't even have to do anything right now.

In the next hour Tharja will be back in the lead. :p If Julia wants to win she'll need to pull ahead in the last hour, because as the scores go up, the less relevant the x3 bonus is.

Edited by Frenzify

If Leo loses and Julia wins, I'll join Julia.

I don't really hate male Robin, he just doesn't do much for me.  If it's Robin vs Tharja, I'm not sure who I'll join.

I wish Lilina, Nino, or Soren had been in there.  It would also make it so they could include more actual mages and not have to pull in characters that aren't really mages.

5 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Eirika and Ephraim had to retrieve the stone together, because both plot bracelets were needed to obtain it.  

I'm not sure what you mean with the Eirika bashing?  Even though I like Eirika more than Ephraim, I thought the main reason she gets hate is the fact she is quite naive to the point some view it as being stupid.

Eirika's naïveté is bashed on the most mostly BECAUSE she gave Lyon the stone of Reneis. I like Eirika more than Ephraim as well. Actually, I like a lot of characters more than Ephraim. 

The point is Ephraim is reckless.  And it's addressed that he is.  Yes, he's powerful.  But that's really about it, besides being powerful, Ephraim is reckless, terrible at diplomacy (a very necessary skill for a king), and not particularly booksmart.  I think the main problem with Ephraim is his primary faults aren't particularly relevant to wartime so they don't come up as much as Eirika's.

And he GETS AWAY with it. How many times has his recklessness failed him? Very few if any. And he's never captured or beaten by an army and never really needed Eirika to rescue him. In fact, when Eirika thought that Ephraim was in trouble and tried to go save him, it was a trap, and Ephraim had in fact escaped. 

Except... not really.  Robin's dialogue is all set in stone with the variations being limited to a few irrelevant choices.  They're essentially a preset character the player designs the appearance of.  

Sure, the dialogue is, but they can't really fit every little thing. But there is a choice that does make way for giving characteristics regardless, which is something of an avatar. But Ephraim is a full-fledged character, and a main protagonist in the story. It isn't the same case with Robin who is still treated as an Avatar. 

8 minutes ago, immatx said:

So proud of me fellow members of team Julia right now. Sure we're coming off of another x3, but we're sticking close, maybe we'll get lucky at the end. 

Maybe we can have the coveted Robin vs Julia match. Or rather: Grima vs Naga! 

2 minutes ago, Frenzify said:

In the next hour Tharja will be back in the lead. :p

She will close the gap at the very least. Team Tharja's sheer numbers are still just too much for Julia (or anyone really) to overcome.

Just now, omegaxis1 said:

JULIA! Maintain the lead for another 28 hours!

Please! I really want to have a thematic "amnesiac mage with dragon connections" finale! (Especially, since out of the mages, while Robin is my favorite character, Julia is probably my favorite female mage of the female mages participating in this gauntlet!)

1 minute ago, Glaceon Mage said:

That's one of the things I like about Robin actually: You could say his personality is bland, but it makes it more easy for the player to insert themselves into him. In general, Robin's character boils down to being an exceedingly gifted and charismatic tactician, incredibly kind and always trying his best to ensure casualties of the army he serves remains low (ideally none), yet is capable of being ruthless if he needs to be. I also like that Male Robin is pretty mellow and calm in his supports as well, since I feel that's close to how main story!Robin acts.

Just now, Rezzy said:

I don't really hate male Robin, he just doesn't do much for me.  If it's Robin vs Tharja, I'm not sure who I'll join.

I wish Lilina, Nino, or Soren had been in there.  It would also make it so they could include more actual mages and not have to pull in characters that aren't really mages.

I kinda wish the gauntlet was:

Merric, Henry, Odin, Raigh, Lilina, Linde, Julia and Sanaki (though Leo is always welcome)

That would've been interesting.

11 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

JULIA! Maintain the lead for another 28 hours!

Odds are we'll be moving back and forth each time there is a multiplier. Frankly, this round may hinge on when the last multiplier happens.

1 minute ago, Folt said:

Please! I really want to have a thematic "amnesiac mage with dragon connections" finale! (Especially, since out of the mages, while Robin is my favorite character, Julia is probably my favorite female mage of the female mages participating in this gauntlet!)

Oh shit, you're right! XD 

Amnesiac mages with dragon connections DOES fit those two easily. Good job pointing that out.

7 minutes ago, Clogon said:

Damn it team Julia. Why couldn't you over take Tharja by a bigger margine? I want 3x boost too! First you cripple my empress and now I don't even get any feather boost to exact my revenge. :(

Just as planned.

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

If you're talking about Robin, I think Robin pretty much is all but a mage at this point.

If you're talking about Henry and Tharja, I suppose Dark Mages is kind of another class entirely, but this is honestly more of a general mage battle than a battle between actual members of the Mage class.

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

yeah I'm disappointed that nino and lilina weren't included

i love soren and all but I get why he couldn't be part of it

but it just seems silly that nino and lilina weren't included. I like them both more than any of the characters in this gauntlet aside from maybe linde, and I feel like nino would've had a much better chance at a victory than most of the other characters here. i'm picking tharja last round (unless julia miraculously wins, which is actually kind of a possibility at this point), which I planned when I initially picked julia, since I wanted to be on the winning team for once

but I still think it's kinda weird that they haven't had any GBA characters in any of the gauntlets so far

Like I said before, there is a 0% chance of Tharja or Robin losing.

Let's put it this way for Team Robin. I'm currently ranked 3,486 in the army and I have only used 400 flags. That means that everyone from rank 3,000 down has 1,100+ flags remaining. That's probably over 100,000 people. Not to mention, Leo can't even take the lead when he gets the bonus anymore and we have 28 hours to go.

Team Robin is going to just coast into the final round, and we will all have a huge stockpile of flags.

Granted, the scales are going to tip in the final round and Robin will be the one flailing around with the 3x bonus to no avail.

2 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

And he GETS AWAY with it. How many times has his recklessness failed him? Very few if any. And he's never captured or beaten by an army and never really needed Eirika to rescue him. In fact, when Eirika thought that Ephraim was in trouble and tried to go save him, it was a trap, and Ephraim had in fact escaped. 

I already said the time with the stone.

4 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Sure, the dialogue is, but they can't really fit every little thing. But there is a choice that does make way for giving characteristics regardless, which is something of an avatar. But Ephraim is a full-fledged character, and a main protagonist in the story. It isn't the same case with Robin who is still treated as an Avatar. 

There are like, three choices in the entire game. 

Only one of which affects anything at all.

1 minute ago, unique said:

but I still think it's kinda weird that they haven't had any GBA characters in any of the gauntlets so far

Eirika/Ephraim.

No reason to rejoice for Julia. Coming off of a 3x and she barely passes Tharja. I was honestly expecting another swing back(and hoped I'd get a sweet flag multiplier) like early this morning but I guess our hexes are just too much. ;):

Edited by Alkaid