Jedi's Thoughts on the FE Warriors news

Jedi

Just now, Arthur97 said:

It'll be interesting to see Yuri Lowenthall (probably spelled that wrong) do a full Marth role. Up until this point it's been pretty minor stuff.

It might encourage the next Smash to use an English Marth, how strange would that be?

Lowenthal btw, you added an extra l, so you were close!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Jedi said:

It might encourage the next Smash to use an English Marth, how strange would that be?

Marth's been learning English since Melee. Unfortunately, he's a slower learner than Roy who learned Japanese in his studies of ancient foreign cultures.

Seriously though, they need a character voice option. Do you want the character to use their Japanese voice, English voice, or in certain situations Alt voice. (Robin and Corrin voice options. Sonic Legacy voice etc.)

I enjoy the fact that mounted units will stay mounted.  I would love to see how they incorporate a bunch of different unit styles surrounding mounts.  And I'm looking forward to the voice acting.  If Echoes is setting the new standard, then I am very excited to see what we have to come.  Also the Bond Conversations sound cool.

I am bummed, however, that the representation will be focusing on Shadow Dragon/Blade of Light, Awakening, and Fates for a couple of reasons.  One, those games get a lot of outside representation as it is anyway since Shadow Dragon is the first FE game, Awakening and Fates are the more well known titles and almost anything Fire Emblem tend to include characters from those games mostly.  Even in FE Heroes we got a slew of characters from those games at first.  And two, other FE titles like Path of Radiance, Blazing Sword, Sacred Stones, etc. would most likely come as DLC because business and marketing would make it make sense considering how much people love characters from those games even if those games are the most well known.

I also feel the comment of not wanting to include every Lord or whatever because they'll all use swords is a serious cop out.  There's a lot of variations they can do with swordplay, hell even in older Dynasty Warriors games a lot of the cast mostly used swords and spears.  I doubt that Ike would wield a blade identically to Marth.

Well, with the weapon triangle in, they honestly can't have too many sword units or playing as an Axe user would be a fucking chore (or playing as a Lance user would be easy peasy).

I'm really happy that cavaliers/mounted units stay mounted. Epona in HW had probably the best horse moveset in any Musou, and it helps that the moveset was having Link be seated on her at all times.

34 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Lowenthal btw, you added an extra l, so you were close!

At this point, I'm not sure either Marth or Roy will speak English in Smash out of tradition.

27 minutes ago, Light Strategist said:

Marth's been learning English since Melee. Unfortunately, he's a slower learner than Roy who learned Japanese in his studies of ancient foreign cultures.

Seriously though, they need a character voice option. Do you want the character to use their Japanese voice, English voice, or in certain situations Alt voice. (Robin and Corrin voice options. Sonic Legacy voice etc.)

Why on earth would you change Robin's default voice? Corrin I can understand.

Also, wouldn't Roy already know Japanese and also be learning English?

31 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

At this point, I'm not sure either Marth or Roy will speak English in Smash out of tradition.

Why on earth would you change Robin's default voice? Corrin I can understand.

Also, wouldn't Roy already know Japanese and also be learning English?

I considered the point about Roy but remembered FE7's timeline setting is prior to FE6. Meaning Roy would randomly not understand his parents or anyone else on the continent aside from his whole generation which would be incredibly odd.

Male voice 3 is what I had for my Avatar in Awakening. Nothing against 1, I just feel it'd be nice to have the opportunity to customize that in Smash. Similar instance for Corrin but Female Corrin doesn't sound like she choked on a lizard.

Your first point is why I suggested the option for individual character voice options, especially since every character wouldn't need them because they're iconic as-is or because they are literally the same voice in each region like Charizard or Pikachu.

Edited by Light Strategist

1 hour ago, Folt said:

Well, with the weapon triangle in, they honestly can't have too many sword units or playing as an Axe user would be a fucking chore (or playing as a Lance user would be easy peasy).

I'm really happy that cavaliers/mounted units stay mounted. Epona in HW had probably the best horse moveset in any Musou, and it helps that the moveset was having Link be seated on her at all times.

Yeah I'm thinking we'll have a fairly even distribution of weapon types. 

26 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Yeah I'm thinking we'll have a fairly even distribution of weapon types. 

Which made me think a bit. Maybe characters might actually have different movesets tied to weapons which they can wield, designed to take their characteristics into account? Like, Robin could be able to switch between Tomes and Swords, but would put his own spin on them compared to other characters (in his case, he'd use thunder magic, while being able to switch between thunder magic and swords... though his thunder magic moveset would more effective moves in general, his sword moveset could be designed to set-up for his thunder magic). Or Camilla's axe moveset would consist of powerful strikes and combos while she'd get a magic moveset designed to gather up far away enemies for her axe strikes.

Of course, that would mean that you'd need a way to seamlessly switch between weapons.

I do like it that Omega Force seems to be trying to integrate aspects of the properties they make Warriors games out of more now, instead of just making Warriors games with licensed skins on them. If they can add FE mechanics and make a convincing Musou with them, then I think I'll look forward to their works a bit more.

Edited by Slumber

48 minutes ago, Folt said:

Which made me think a bit. Maybe characters might actually have different movesets tied to weapons which they can wield, designed to take their characteristics into account? Like, Robin could be able to switch between Tomes and Swords, but would put his own spin on them compared to other characters (in his case, he'd use thunder magic, while being able to switch between thunder magic and swords... though his thunder magic moveset would more effective moves in general, his sword moveset could be designed to set-up for his thunder magic). Or Camilla's axe moveset would consist of powerful strikes and combos while she'd get a magic moveset designed to gather up far away enemies for her axe strikes.

Of course, that would mean that you'd need a way to seamlessly switch between weapons.

Maybe use a modified version of the DW7/8 Dual weapon system instead of all the weapons and movesets, just have switches between a characters movesets.

Hyrule Warriors has multiple movesets for singular characters, so they could expand on it.

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

I do like it that Omega Force seems to be trying to integrate aspects of the properties they make Warriors games out of more now, instead of just making Warriors games with licensed skins on them. If they can add FE mechanics and make a convincing Musou with them, then I think I'll look forward to their works a bit more.

To be frank, isn't that the general ultimate goal of any crossover game?

13 minutes ago, Motendra said:

To be frank, isn't that the general ultimate goal of any crossover game?

Yeah, but the Fist of the North Star/Gundam/One Piece games were more or less just Musou games with the aesthetics of those series, even when it made 0 sense.

Admittedly, making crossovers from manga/anime franchises is likely a bit harder, since there's no basis for adding in game play that resembles the series. But those games don't resemble their franchises in any way besides aesthetics. 

But even in the case of like, the Dragon Quest games, the first one had tower defense elements. I get wanting to spice things up, but why the Dragon Quest crossover? Dragon Quest Heroes 2, however, is obviously very heavily inspired by JRPGs and DQ in particular. 

Edited by Slumber

There's a screenshot of what looks like a pre-battle shot with Marth and the Twins all posing. It very well could be Warriors Orochi style (which would make sense with the WT-- letting you have one character of each slot to switch around on the fly).

Mostly just repeating myself here in a more civilized topic...

1. Saw the Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates representation coming. Sure, I'm a little saddened by the fact other games may not get much representation outside of DLC, but I don't mind this limitation. Besides, there are good characters in those three titles!

2. Looking forward to the Bond conversations as character interactions is always a high point for Fire Emblem games, or at least it should be. This will especially be the case if Warriors gets an English dub. I remain hopeful because Echoes was fully voices, Heroes had voices, and the Switch Fire Emblem may also be fully voiced.

3. I'm interested to see if they implement flying units such as Pegasus Knights (Caeda) and Wyvern Knights (Camilla). Will they just be glorified "cavalry units" that use the flying trait to look cool, or will they actually fly around the battlefield?

4. Also looking forward to the Musou-style remixes of Fire Emblem songs. Look at this version of Hyrule Field for example, from Hyrule Warriors. Now, imagine an End of All remix or a Dusk Falls remix. While those two are fan covers, I wonder what FE: Warriors would do!

5. I'm personally hoping for Walhart to be the Lu Bu of Fire Emblem Warriors. However, I have a feeling that role will likely end up being given to either Camus or Xander if an OC is not created, like Volga was for Hyrule Warriors.

6. Also hoping for switchable characters on the map, like Samurai Warriors Chronicles, and not the "tag-team" system of Warriors Orochi.

23 minutes ago, Sire said:

5. I'm personally hoping for Walhart to be the Lu Bu of Fire Emblem Warriors. However, I have a feeling that role will likely end up being given to either Camus or Xander if an OC is not created, like Volga was for Hyrule Warriors.

I'm hoping Hardin's the Lu Bu. It's a bit too on the nose though, but it'd be too fitting for them to not do.

9 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

I'm pretty confident it'll be English dubbed. I would imagine Nintendo would make sure of that considering Echoes.

And it certainly better be dubbed because if it isn't, then this goes off the list just like Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

9 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

True, if the went as far as to dub a mobile game so fully, surely they'll insist upon it.

I'm just happy the switch has language options/region free.

So if you guys are getting dubbed, I don't get shafted having to buy a second Japanese system.

8 hours ago, Light Strategist said:

So far every Nintendo-published title on Switch has been multi-language, which is determined by the language set on the system, which is what I'm expecting for FEW and Smash Switch. BotW even got patched with an in-game audio language option. 

10 hours ago, Jedi said:

Yeah I'm confused as to why the new characters use swords if they complained about too many swords it seems like... You're only causing your own problem.

Exactly which is why I think the "too many swords" excuse is stupid and hypocritical. JUST MAKE YOUR NEW CHARACTERS USE DIFFERENT WEAPONS TO BALANCE IT OUT. *Freakazoid voice* SHEEESH!

How hard would that have been? Give one character a sword, but give others a lance, axe, magic, bow, whatever!

This is the only problem I have with the game so far though, the character choice. But I can't complain too much if Ike and maybe Ephraim or someone like that is in the main game anyway. I'd also definitely enjoy playing as Frederick and Ryoma if I could. Especially my Freddy. <3

...Well, the male lord's hair is kind of dumb. It looks like some super saiyan wig, seriously... And the female looks too much like Vaike-fathered Noire. But I do like their outfits.

Otherwise, this game does sound pretty cool so far.

I'd hope that they'd consider alternatives for characters to be honest. Like Chrom for instance? He can technically use every weapon in the game outside of staves. It'd be cool if Chrom took advantage of that-- sure you might argue that he can only get some of them through reclass, but who cares? Chrom deserves this with how some of the other games have handled him. 

9 minutes ago, JSND said:

"The weapon triangle, high strategy elements, and classes that are mainstay in the Fire Emblem series are in. "

Check 1

Check 2

oh god please FUCK NO

Why? A blend between FE and Musou would be pretty neat.

14 minutes ago, Augestein said:

I'd hope that they'd consider alternatives for characters to be honest. Like Chrom for instance? He can technically use every weapon in the game outside of staves. It'd be cool if Chrom took advantage of that-- sure you might argue that he can only get some of them through reclass, but who cares? Chrom deserves this with how some of the other games have handled him. 

True, he has gotten the shaft a lot. Using HW as a template, he will probably get a lot of different weapons like Link did.

2 minutes ago, Folt said:

Why? A blend between FE and Musou would be pretty neat.

A blend of FE and Musou is neat

What isn't neat is Musou game as a TBS, and a TBS game with Weapon Triangle is exactly what DWA(the game @Jedi used in his video, funny enough) used to be. I had fun with DWA more than a reasonable human being is allowed to have, largely because GBA Micro is fucking sick, but as a whole having an action esque game where moving between spaces is a large part of, which as far as DWA goes, is essentially 60% of the game is fucking stupid

It was stupid when DWA used the system and having limited scope of characters. It was stupid when PSPDW did it with DW5 engine. The only time it wasn't stupid was in DW Empire. Musou games just works better as a real time action game. The way they descibed the game basically make me think they are goning to make PSPDW and not even having 2 version of Hardin in it could get me hyped for the actual game

>Mayaa Uchida

Is this concidental or intentional ? Because both the female leads/sisters from Heroes and Warriors are voiced by her

Also if they ever dub it, they better leave a dual audio option, i don't want to buy another system to play the Japanese ver,as well as don't want my all stars cast got replaced by some literally who