Jedi's Thoughts on the FE Warriors news

Jedi

28 minutes ago, JSND said:

"The weapon triangle, high strategy elements, and classes that are mainstay in the Fire Emblem series are in. "

Check 1

Check 2

oh god please FUCK NO

DW8 weapon typing and Empires influences confirmed?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Soledai said:

During the clusterfuck of the other thread, I gave my two cents that I really don't want to bother retrieving and it got buried.

Just wanted to point out that if you go to your profile, you can find all your posts there and click the link above them to go right to them.  That's how I find my own stuff to make sure I'm not contradicting/repeating myself.  Because I say a lot of stuff, and I sometimes forget the points I make.

Also, I'm definitely not opposed to this becoming the "civilized discussion" version of the news thread.  That one was...  I mean, 20 pages within the span of a single day for a board that's infrequently visited...  Man.

Regarding news discussion, I do kind of understand wanting to balance out the weapon types, but as others have pointed out, they kinda already painted themselves in a corner by having the five main guest characters plus the two protagonists sword users by default, lol

Speaking of the protagonists, I feel I'm one of the few that doesn't really hate their designs.  I mean, I've made fun of the dude's hair and I do think he kinda has a baby face, but aside from that, I don't mind 'em.  I also imagine that they'll get royal weapons, though those weapons might have some special "change weapon type" properties, or there'll be different "special weapons" they can use.  I think it'd be weird if they were stuck with only swords or had a gameplay preference for swords (as in, their major weapon is just a sword), especially since they've already broken their "limit sword users" rule so much already.

And I think there are still plenty of good characters to pull from the three worlds.  Of course Fates will at least have the brothers plus Camilla, Azura, and Corrin, but I'd like for them to leave some room for others like Kaze or Oboro.  It'd also be nice to see our favorite knight-turned-emperor-in-a-turban take the stage.  I'd also prefer to see Walhart over Validar, especially if they're gonna be including Gharnef (though it's very doubtful they'd have Walhart and not Validar).  Other than that, I don't care too much how they swing there.

No word on whether or not weapon durability will be in this.  I... am not particularly a fan of having weapon durability in a game like this, so I hope this just means it isn't gonna be a thing.  Other strategy elements, though... they be good.

I'm with Jedi in wanting to see some FE themed modes.  Though I'm not experienced with Mosou games, I did play Soul Caliber 3 a lot and was fond of the strategy-fighting game hybrid mode they had in that one.  I imagine they might even include possibly a pair-up function so that you can bring an ally along to a fight.  Though even if they don't, I'm sure it'll still be plenty of fun for me.

2 hours ago, Jave said:

So far every Nintendo-published title on Switch has been multi-language, which is determined by the language set on the system, which is what I'm expecting for FEW and Smash Switch. BotW even got patched with an in-game audio language option. 

I was more focusing on individual characters to allow the aesthetic that Smash currently has to still be optional or to allow say, Marth to use English Dialogue and Greninja, Bayonetta and Lucario to speak Japanese. As an example.

The other part I referred to was giving options for characters that have multiple voices across the same language could be used as well such as Sonic who was voiced by Jason Griffith in Brawl and Roger Craig Smith in Wii U/3DS. Though that part's more reliant on how many characters this idea would be done for and how costly it might be.

22 minutes ago, JSND said:

Nah i'm fine with those

The real worry is DWA influence

I think it's more likely that we'll see Samurai Warriors Chronicles influence in terms of strategic elements (or in other words, switching between playable characters on the field).

On the subject of voices, when was the last time a Warriors game had dual audio? I've only played Samurai Warriors 3 and that had dual audio. I'm not sure about the others after it.

27 minutes ago, JSND said:

Nah i'm fine with those

The real worry is DWA influence

DWA, assuming that means Advanced, was my first DW game and I have fond memories of playing it back-to-back with FE7 when I was a kid, so I wouldn't actually mind a DWA map with classic DW battles going on at every step forward. 

That said, I do hope this game ends up being more like SW or DWGundam with it's mechanics, at least moreso than it being a copy of Hyrule Warriors, which is what I fear it might end up being.

20 minutes ago, Light Strategist said:

I was more focusing on individual characters to allow the aesthetic that Smash currently has to still be optional or to allow say, Marth to use English Dialogue and Greninja, Bayonetta and Lucario to speak Japanese. As an example.

The other part I referred to was giving options for characters that have multiple voices across the same language could be used as well such as Sonic who was voiced by Jason Griffith in Brawl and Roger Craig Smith in Wii U/3DS. Though that part's more reliant on how many characters this idea would be done for and how costly it might be.

That would probably be a legal nightmare. Apparently VA unions can cause serious problems. I mean, Laura Bailey wasn't even credited for Lucina's voice in Awakening and Heroes. It's also why Cloud speaks Japanese in Smash.

4 hours ago, DaloDask said:

I'm hoping Hardin's the Lu Bu. It's a bit too on the nose though, but it'd be too fitting for them to not do.

I honestly really want Camus to have this role haha, since it kind of fits how he was presented.

25 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I honestly really want Camus to have this role haha, since it kind of fits how he was presented.

Well he's blonde, on a horse, and is black colored

Camus should be this game's Trombe!

Although honestly they both can fill that role. Camus was canonically worlds strongest warrior in FE11, but Hardin had more of that "Unbeatable Force" feeling in FE12.

12 minutes ago, JSND said:

Well he's blonde, on a horse, and is black colored

Camus should be this game's Trombe!

I've been thinking the same thing! Not to mention Sirius is a total Ratsel Feinschmecker.

Now all we need is a scene where the heroes are on the sudden brink of defeat, and Camus appears out of nowhere dodging everything thrown at him and critting them in return. His Sanger Zonvolt equivalent can be Ogma, and Michalis can be Gilliam Yaeger. Not sure who gets to be Kai Kitamura to round out the old Aggressor group, Hardin maybe?

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I've been thinking the same thing! Not to mention Sirius is a total Ratsel Feinschmecker.

Now all we need is a scene where the heroes are on the sudden brink of defeat, and Camus appears out of nowhere dodging everything thrown at him and critting them in return. His Sanger Zonvolt equivalent can be Ogma, and Michalis can be Gilliam Yaeger. Not sure who gets to be Kai Kitamura to round out the old Aggressor group, Hardin maybe?

Tornado Gradivus

Hardin is now riding Camus

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And then we'll have the fan hack where Camus and Hardin perform Nohrian Heartbreaker in maid costumes (or would bride outfits be better?)

Turns out the main villain of FE Warriors is Dark Empress Nyna, knowing Camus now got ridden by Hardin, Marth marrying Caeda and liking Hardin to begin with, and Hardin close with Camus while also liking Marth as he always been(i mean its implied in FE3 that Hardin always wanted to serve Marth anyway), the forever alone Nyna is corrupted by the curse of Adrah of the Flame Pedestal,resulting in a civil war where Hardin with his brilliant strategy of "Dracoknights, Dracoknights, and Dracoknights" met up against Nyna's briliant strategy of "Regalias, Regalias, and Regalias".

4 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Regarding news discussion, I do kind of understand wanting to balance out the weapon types, but as others have pointed out, they kinda already painted themselves in a corner by having the five main guest characters plus the two protagonists sword users by default, lol

Speaking of the protagonists, I feel I'm one of the few that doesn't really hate their designs.  I mean, I've made fun of the dude's hair and I do think he kinda has a baby face, but aside from that, I don't mind 'em.  I also imagine that they'll get royal weapons, though those weapons might have some special "change weapon type" properties, or there'll be different "special weapons" they can use.  I think it'd be weird if they were stuck with only swords or had a gameplay preference for swords (as in, their major weapon is just a sword), especially since they've already broken their "limit sword users" rule so much already.

The sword limit but having those OC's use swords was a contradictory choice. Hopefully they have multiple weapon skills, like Sword and Lance or something. As far as their design goes, I dont think its exactly bad, I just dont think they fit at all. They dont fit in with other Fire Emblem characters, so I think it will almost be jarring to see them. I am reserving too much judgement until we see some actual concrete footage of the game and trailers, not just a short teaser and a translated magazine.

And I think there are still plenty of good characters to pull from the three worlds.  Of course Fates will at least have the brothers plus Camilla, Azura, and Corrin, but I'd like for them to leave some room for others like Kaze or Oboro.  It'd also be nice to see our favorite knight-turned-emperor-in-a-turban take the stage.  I'd also prefer to see Walhart over Validar, especially if they're gonna be including Gharnef (though it's very doubtful they'd have Walhart and not Validar).  Other than that, I don't care too much how they swing there.

I think that is the luxury of Fire Emblem as a whole. Each and every Fire Emblem game could support an entire Warriors game on their own. Jugdral, Tellius, Elibe, Magvel, Fateslandia, Archanea, Valentia. They all have enough their for their own game, so combining them all together is almost too much, which Is exactly what I think they are running in to.

No word on whether or not weapon durability will be in this.  I... am not particularly a fan of having weapon durability in a game like this, so I hope this just means it isn't gonna be a thing.  Other strategy elements, though... they be good.

I'm with Jedi in wanting to see some FE themed modes.  Though I'm not experienced with Mosou games, I did play Soul Caliber 3 a lot and was fond of the strategy-fighting game hybrid mode they had in that one.  I imagine they might even include possibly a pair-up function so that you can bring an ally along to a fight.  Though even if they don't, I'm sure it'll still be plenty of fun for me.

Hopefully with the last two games not featuring weapon durability, it means they wont go with it. Overall weapon durability is a pretty bad choice for a Warriors game, unless it gets a complete overhaul compared to traditional Fire Emblem durability. I am talking changed it from exact uses to something more like Dark Souls or something. And even then it would just be annoying and not add anything to it.

I played Dragon Quest Heroes a while back, and liked how it implemented tower defense type mechanics, so hopefully that means they will be able to implement traditional Fire Emblem mechanics in a good way. Outside of Dragon Quest Heroes, which I rented for a short time to try it out, and the Arslan Warriors game which I hated, I havent had much experience with Warriors at all. So as far as what to expect I have no experience to go off of. Hopefully they can find a good middle ground for strategy and action based gameplay for FE Warriors, kind of like how Mount and Blade Warband does a good job of mixing empire building aspects with first person mass combat.

Edited by Tolvir

12 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

So as far as what to expect I have no experience to go off of. But, there is this game called Mount and Blade Warband that I play a good bit. Its almost like combining a Civ game ( in a much more limited way), with a first person mass combat game like Chivalry. You control one central character, which is your avatar, and you run around and recruit soldiers, fight for other kingdoms, or start conquering others and creating your own, and it is an interesting experience because you are involved in the fights instead of watching. You control your character in combat, have weapon skills, and fight alongside all of your soldiers. Its a really fun experience, so maybe Warriors can find a good middle ground like that where you get a good mix of strategy and good old hack and slash fun.

I've actually seen Mount and Blade.  Never played it, but I definitely know about it and what it's like.

In the game mode I referred to in SC3, you would switch between RTS and regular SC fighting when you encounter a foe (though you can choose to let them whittle down each others' health instead of controlling the fight directly).  Obviously not the same as FE's turn-based strategy, but hey, it's strategy all the same.

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

The Lu Bu? Probably Dark Emperor Hardin and/or Walhart. 

10 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

The Lu Bu? Probably Dark Emperor Hardin and/or Walhart. 

Any 3 of them could fit.

Although Walhart could lead to some interesting possibilities if Alm is in/shows up in DLC.

If we're getting Walhart then yes...I'd definitely want to see Alm as well. Add in Rudolf to the mix for some weird family fun. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

Just now, Lord-Zero said:

If we're getting Walhart then yes...I'd definitely want to see Alm as well. Add in Rudolf to the mix for some weird family fun. 

Alm: "How do you compassionately stab someone? It doesn't run in my family"

@Arthur97It's stated that he's the second coming of Alm and that he's basically what Alm would've become without Celica, according to Virion. With Walhart also being the Emperor of Valm (the country founded by Alm himself, well, renamed by Alm's direct successor)), it'd make sense that he's Alm's descendant. Heck, Alm's Overclass is Conqueror which is a nod to Walhart. There's also the fact that Rudolf and Walhart look VERY alike. 

1 minute ago, Lord-Zero said:

@Arthur97It's stated that he's the second coming of Alm and that he's basically what Alm would've become without Celica, according to Virion. With Walhart also being the Emperor of Valm (the country founded by Alm himself, well, renamed by Alm's direct successor)), it'd make sense that he's Alm's descendant. Heck, Alm's Overclass is Conqueror which is a nod to Walhart. There's also the fact that Rudolf and Walhart look VERY alike. 

Wait, when does Virion say that? Is it a support, because I didn't use him much.

With this being video games, I suppose it's possible, but in reality, he could have just taken the title.